Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bogan King posted:

Just hike in these, it's got everything you want.

Daisy dukes are best on hikers who look like daisy duke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
But if you're looking like this: http://fashionbyfaithseeker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/short-shorts.jpg

you can hike in front of me all day. And hike right up to my Jeep so we can go back to my place and... discuss hiking.

I'll tell you all about hiking in cotton BDUs in the rainy Pacific Northwest... sometime else. Too distracted by the picture to post anything sensible right now. :swoon:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Some old cranky cook lady at REI refused to sell me a big jug of undiluted permathin yesterday because she said you're no longer allowed to soak clothing or tents in it anymore and that it's been banned for that use for a couple of years now. When I asked why they still sold it all then she said it was only approved for spray applications now.

Has anyone else heard of this nonsense? I just went online and bought some concentrated stuff that I'll dilute down and use to soak and on my tent. I tried arguing with the old lady about how that didnt make any sense, that people will just buy more spray bottles but she kept going on about how its against the law now.

And since when is this stuff considered so dangerous? I know it can be harmful when wet to cats and fish but I dont plan on soaking my fishing equipment in it, and as far as I know its perfectly safe once dry and actually biodegrades in sunlight.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
should have gotten a manager. Why would they stock it if they couldn't sell it.

Haven't heard of it being a danger, I mean you're supposed to spray it until the fabric is soaked.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I just went to favorite Internet search engine and typed in "mens hiking shorts 5 inch inseam" and got results, plural, that have belt loops and four pockets. What am I missing?

I got my hopes up, but

CopperHound posted:

Only problem is that it is cotton.

The dream shorts may be a custom project I fear.

But if you're looking like this: http://fashionbyfaithseeker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/short-shorts.jpg

you can hike in front of me all day. And hike right up to my Jeep so we can go back to my place and... discuss hiking.

I break way way (way) more on the bear side of things, sorry bro.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

I break way way (way) more on the bear side of things, sorry bro.
Oh god, I started picturing Man Faye.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

Oh god, I started picturing Man Faye.

OK, I don't need shorts quite that short.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Going to UT tonight and will be there for the weekend. Will be staying in Eagle Mountain (south of SLC/west of Provo across the lake) and am looking for some day hike options for this time of year! Strenuous is fine, but I'm not bringing spikes or crampons so snow is probably out of the question.

Any recommendations?

I feel like all of the national parks are a bit of a drive, but maybe there are some state parks or other areas known to locals.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Just got everything booked for Pukaskwa, Canada in August for the Coastal Trail. Basically, we get hauled out by boat, dropped at the other end of the trail, and then hoof it some 35 miles back. Super-stoked. It's kind of a ways from Northeastern Indiana where we live (about a ten-eleven hour drive) but tbh I'm really surprised I haven't tried it sooner. We also have a night right before and after the hike at Lake Superior Provincial Park.

Afterwards we hook back up with our wives and some friends at a cabin in the UP to recuperate, drink a bunch of booze, and watch the Perseids on the beach, so that should be pretty sweet, too.

So far, the Canadian National Park system appears to be fantastically well-run. Their website had several photos of each of the camps before you reserve them, the resources for the Coastal Trail itself they had online were pretty nice (a fairly comprehensive PDF, although I wish there was a slightly more detailed trail map online), and after I booked everything I even received a note from the park staff just reaching out to say "hey, based on your site reservations we think we PROBABLY know what you have planned out there, and it sounds awesome! Don't forget we have a mandatory orientation to assess how likely we are to have to pull you out woods if you're stupid."

Anybody been up around this area and have any advice?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone have nausea after strenuous hiking? I hiked with a group yesterday and I had to make the driver pull over on the way back. :( Someone suggested chewing on ginger, are there any other ways to avoid getting sick from exercise?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Anyone have nausea after strenuous hiking? I hiked with a group yesterday and I had to make the driver pull over on the way back. :( Someone suggested chewing on ginger, are there any other ways to avoid getting sick from exercise?

Dehydration is a big part of exercise induced nausea. You may have also drank plenty of water but still needed electrolytes. High intensity for over an hour and a decent amount of sweat is about the limit where purely water might not be enough. I was fine for years, but the last ~2 years or so I have to be pretty careful or it'll happen to me.

Also a decent cooldown at the end of an intense hike/section helps a lot, rather than a push to the end and immediately sitting down.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It's probably mostly water and electrolytes as mentioned, but could be something else not revealed in your story. How far above your normal level was the hike? What made it strenuous? What was the temperature/weather? What did you eat and drink? Anything out of the ordinary? Were you hungry during the hike? Thirsty? Were there any breaks? Also, ahem, did the outing line up with a regularly scheduled bowel movement that you missed or were blocking?

I like to recall Hemo the Magnificent during some hikes, which suggests that only two of your muscles, brain, and digestion can receive blood/energy at one time. The muscular relaxation of sitting in a car is a good chance for your body to focus a bunch of energy on digestion, and if it was your first chance to recirculate, you may have gone into lactic acidosis. :science: (Not a doctor of medicine, making this up, which we call "speculating".)

For all we know it was those three drive thru :burger: you stuffed down ten minutes after being done with the hike.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

nominal posted:

Anybody been up around this area and have any advice?

You're in for a good trip. That's a really nice area. August can be weird, depending on the wind you might get super-hot dry air or freeze your rear end off. It's glacial shield so be prepared for some crazy rocky trails with cedar roots working hard to trip you up. A few weeks later and the pink salmon would be running in that area.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's probably mostly water and electrolytes as mentioned, but could be something else not revealed in your story. How far above your normal level was the hike? What made it strenuous? What was the temperature/weather? What did you eat and drink? Anything out of the ordinary? Were you hungry during the hike? Thirsty? Were there any breaks? Also, ahem, did the outing line up with a regularly scheduled bowel movement that you missed or were blocking?

I like to recall Hemo the Magnificent during some hikes, which suggests that only two of your muscles, brain, and digestion can receive blood/energy at one time. The muscular relaxation of sitting in a car is a good chance for your body to focus a bunch of energy on digestion, and if it was your first chance to recirculate, you may have gone into lactic acidosis. :science: (Not a doctor of medicine, making this up, which we call "speculating".)

For all we know it was those three drive thru :burger: you stuffed down ten minutes after being done with the hike.

No burgs crammed, but I know I was dehydrated during the hike, so that probably did it. The hike was 8 miles in hilly terrain; we hiked at 2.7 mph according to the hike leader which is pretty fast for me. We had lunch on the top of the ridge and hiked back down. At lunch, I ate pasta salad and a bag of chips. I drank 2.5 liters of water and a liter of gatorade during the outing and the weather wasn't too hot, just a clear spring day, so I figured I was ok on hydration, but I realized I was super thirsty only after I threw up and drank an iced tea.

So there's a few things I can think of to try: drink more water, get more electrolytes, rest more often, and eat healthier snacks and meals. Serious thirst has been an trigger for nausea in the past too, though I can think of times when I got sick during/after exercise and there was no apparent issue with hydration.

On another note, does anyone have a daypack they love? I should have picked one up during the REI sale; currently I use one from Walmart that's basically just a sack with no organization, and not enough capacity for water obviously.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 1, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
3 1/2 L of water for eight hour hike would actually make me a little nauseous, but I've definitely got a little queasy from slamming a half liter bottle all in one go when I was really hot.

As for day packs, I am in love with the Osprey Talon 11. It's big and can comfortably carry 2 liter bottles of water, first aid/emergency kit a good amount of snacks/lunch, and a single light layer, all without feeling too full. I have use one of my warm weather day pack for the past 2/3 years, and absolutely love it. This past fall I bought the 22 L version of the pack for winter use, as I tend to start the day fully layered then end up finishing most hikes in just a T-shirt with a shell over it. The 22 L has an adjustable frame length while the 11 does not, which is great if you like to fuss around with that.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

No burgs crammed, but I know I was dehydrated during the hike, so that probably did it. The hike was 8 miles in hilly terrain; we hiked at 2.7 mph according to the hike leader which is pretty fast for me. We had lunch on the top of the ridge and hiked back down. At lunch, I ate pasta salad and a bag of chips. I drank 2.5 liters of water and a liter of gatorade during the outing and the weather wasn't too hot, just a clear spring day, so I figured I was ok on hydration, but I realized I was super thirsty only after I threw up and drank an iced tea.
You may have eaten too much food at once, and drank too many fluids in gulps, and it just sat in your stomach for the 60--90min descent because your muscles were using most of your energy, and your brain was using the rest to keep you from falling over. Much depends on conditioning, the regular (daily) operations of your body, how much you "should" be eating (body weight, bmi, size, structure), and, sadly, age. You'd feel thirsty after vomiting, but that doesn't mean you were dehydrated.

I go through 2L of water just sitting at work in order to stay hydrated, but on the trail at those speeds uphill I probably only manage 1L every 4hr --- erm, fake edit, that's the same rate of consumption --- and that's taking a sip every time I get tired, or a minute after I've grabbed half a handful of food when I've stopped because I'm tired. Downhill I eat and drink even less because it feels more like running (and sometimes is), and I know from jogging that having water in the stomach means cramps. I have started eating a bit more at the top, or shortly thereafter if it's bad conditions on top, or at major viewpoints along day-long routes, etcetera, because I find that I start to go tingly and try to pass out if I'm not eating enough. I also eat 4--6 times on weekdays, so I'm more trained to eat constantly on the trail.

You're stopping to catch your breath and slow down your heart. You might as well take a few peanuts and chocolate chips and give it the full 30sec. If you have access to exercise equipment and a heart rate meter, go take a look at how long it takes your rate to drop down from performance/aerobic.

It sounds like you just overdid it in general, need to eat smaller amounts more frequently, and sip water instead of gulping.

Maybe try something less strenuous next time or with less peer pressure. This is why I'm also one of the thread's "bad guys" who speaks out against hiking in groups: You needed to tell that group that you were stopping and they would just have to loving wait. (Anyway, they aren't going to know unless you tell them.)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

2.7mph is a pretty fast pace — how much elevation gain does that cover? I've never gotten nauseous after a hike, but after a big day on the bike (4-6 hours) I've been known to be hungry as poo poo and also feel like puking at the same time. It's usually the result of not consuming enough calories in small doses over the course of the activity; the dreaded "bonk." Did you only eat at lunch, or did you also grab a few handfuls of GORP now and then?

As for a day pack, I really like the Talon 22. It's big enough for longer days, but light weight enough that you can also just throw a water bottle, jacket, first aid kit, and go.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I got a $30 daypack with 2-litre reservoir from Academy Sports that works great for simple day trips. I use it every weekend. It's not ultralight or high-tech, just holds stuff on your back all day. Biggest drawback is that the outer pocket looks like it's detachable but actually isn't. Also one of the straps came off after about 6 months but "I" sewed it back on and haven't had any more issues.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Personally, a good daypack for my needs should be able to hold enough water, food, extra layers (rain, insulation or both), and a small first aid kit and whatever else I find necessary for a standard day hike ranging from 4-15 miles (anywhere from 3-12 hours). My current daypack is a Mountain Hardwear Cima Alta 25 which has been discontinued. I've been debating picking up a slightly larger, more structured backpack like an osprey for day hikes but I have yet to hit a point where I thought I needed something more. I have a Gregory 50L if I need something bigger.

I like the size (25 Liters) seems perfect for a day hike. I've brought it with on backpacking trips for side trips and summit attempts, multiple day hikes, snowshoeing etc. I even hauled my dog, although this was when he was only a few months old and couldn't finish our 5 mile hike.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I think I found my dream shorts;

https://www.amazon.com/AFTCO-M01L-Original-Fishing-Shorts/dp/B01M9JPTA4?th=1&psc=1

Not crazy about the shittly little cargo pockets, but the lined pliers pocket is great for stashing my rod while retying or unhooking a fish while wading. Now I just need to decide what color to go with, go I go with gray to match my sunshirt, or do I want some crazy bright color?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Hydration is key, start your day off with a quart of water and you'll feel great. Drink even when you don't think you have to.

Also, as goony as it sounds, excessive sun exposure can make you feel like poo poo. Being outside all day, especially this early in the year, you'll burn up quick and feel nauseous. A bit of ibuprofen and a quick nap usually fix me up after getting burned like that. If you get really burned, aloe gel is a great relief for the affected area.

As far as packs go , nthng Osprey Talon 22, it's got a proper hip belt so you transfer the weight down to your hips and off your shoulders, and it sits off your back so you stay cool. Fantastic purchase, can't recommend highly enough. Plus it's got mesh pockets on the outside, zippered pockets on the hip belt, you can really accommodate a lot with that pack.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I noticed a huge difference, as far as not feeling like complete poo poo, once I started wearing a hat as well. Something like this is worth its weight in gold - https://www.rei.com/product/777991/outdoor-research-transit-sun-hat

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I noticed a huge difference, as far as not feeling like complete poo poo, once I started wearing a hat as well. Something like this is worth its weight in gold - https://www.rei.com/product/777991/outdoor-research-transit-sun-hat

I was wearing a hat like that, it's great (see below). But there wasn't much sun out and the hillside was forested so there wasn't a lot of sun exposure.

You may have eaten too much food at once, and drank too many fluids in gulps, and it just sat in your stomach for the 60--90min descent because your muscles were using most of your energy, and your brain was using the rest to keep you from falling over. Much depends on conditioning, the regular (daily) operations of your body, how much you "should" be eating (body weight, bmi, size, structure), and, sadly, age. You'd feel thirsty after vomiting, but that doesn't mean you were dehydrated.

I go through 2L of water just sitting at work in order to stay hydrated, but on the trail at those speeds uphill I probably only manage 1L every 4hr --- erm, fake edit, that's the same rate of consumption --- and that's taking a sip every time I get tired, or a minute after I've grabbed half a handful of food when I've stopped because I'm tired. Downhill I eat and drink even less because it feels more like running (and sometimes is), and I know from jogging that having water in the stomach means cramps. I have started eating a bit more at the top, or shortly thereafter if it's bad conditions on top, or at major viewpoints along day-long routes, etcetera, because I find that I start to go tingly and try to pass out if I'm not eating enough. I also eat 4--6 times on weekdays, so I'm more trained to eat constantly on the trail.

You're stopping to catch your breath and slow down your heart. You might as well take a few peanuts and chocolate chips and give it the full 30sec. If you have access to exercise equipment and a heart rate meter, go take a look at how long it takes your rate to drop down from performance/aerobic.

It sounds like you just overdid it in general, need to eat smaller amounts more frequently, and sip water instead of gulping.

Maybe try something less strenuous next time or with less peer pressure. This is why I'm also one of the thread's "bad guys" who speaks out against hiking in groups: You needed to tell that group that you were stopping and they would just have to loving wait. (Anyway, they aren't going to know unless you tell them.)

I think overall taking it easier until I am in better shape is a good plan. Though I wasn't feeling bad, just tired, when I stopped on the trail. I think I was definitely dehydrated on the trail, because I didn't have to urinate for the whole hike.

I am going to try some Nuun tablets or knockoffs, that could help with getting electrolytes through the day. Will also to eat and drink more evenly.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Figuring out food helps a lot. I eat a full breakfast before driving to the location, then after a couple hours stop to eat an apple and a protein bar. A while later I'll eat at a pb&j for lunch, and next I'll eat gorp or something similar. And I leave a banana in the car for when I'm done.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Internet Explorer posted:

Last year I ordered a hat like this (the Marine in me calls them a boonie hat) from REI garage for like $12. They ended up sending me a bag with 10 in them. Best hat for hiking. Only thing sucks is my family looks like a cult since we all have the same hat.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Keep in mind that dehydration/rehydration isn't something that takes hours or even a full day. It takes at least a few days to fully hydrate all your tissues, its not enough to just drink a bunch of water the morning you start your hike.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Update! I'm not dead. My hammock works. Everything works! I'm in Franklin NC right now. I'm taking two days off because my knee is playing up. I'm hoping that two days' rest will help out.

It's been really tough. The start of the AT doesn't mess around! So many climbs and rocks and roots. Not only that, it was pissing down the first and second days so everything got wet and I got bad blisters on the goddamn bottom of my feet. Also putting my hammock up for the first time in the rain was not fun.

But it's all working out. Met some great people, the scenery is beautiful and hopefully I can heal up and push more miles. I'll post some pictures tomorrow!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

NIce work!

My wife hiked the first 400 miles of the AT with her brother years back and yeah the start was real tough. Rain, snow, freezing nights, she almost gave up after a couple of days but stuck it out and had a great time

Hope you feel better

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

Update! I'm not dead. My hammock works. Everything works! I'm in Franklin NC right now. I'm taking two days off because my knee is playing up. I'm hoping that two days' rest will help out.

Get some sort of anti-inflammatory drug. I have found that the constant use is way harder on my joints then say a single day of really pushing myself.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

Get some sort of anti-inflammatory drug. I have found that the constant use is way harder on my joints then say a single day of really pushing myself.

Thru hikers call it Vitamin I for a reason. The morning and night routine typically goes eat food, brush teeth, pop ibuprofen. Also, stretch, foam role, and above all, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
What do y'all put in your first aid kits?

At the moment mine's a bit rubbish (just a couple of bandaids, some blister patches and paracetamol), so I definitely want to get something better together.

My housemate is a doctor, and has access to surgical wound glue (I know this because he managed to get some in his eye yesterday when opening the tube), so I'll hit him up for some of that

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

bandaids, immodium, tylenol and ibrofen, antihistamine, some gauze and tape and butterfly bandages

e: I think I have a few packets of antibiotic ointment too. Wilderness first aid class I took preferred bandages like 2nd skin bandages instead of antibiotic ointment. They serve the same purpose...the ointment basically just creates a barrier to contaminants

You could also bring stuff like a syringe to wash out wounds and benzoine tincture (I actually might have some of that) to help bandages stick, but eh

Levitate fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 6, 2017

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah I've been taking 12 ibuprofen a day, but to be honest it hasn't been doing much. A shot of weed in the morning helped wonders. I'm now at a sweet hostel drinking beer and watching Rick and Morty and I think I'm on the mend. I hope.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah I've been taking 12 ibuprofen a day, but to be honest it hasn't been doing much. A shot of weed in the morning helped wonders. I'm now at a sweet hostel drinking beer and watching Rick and Morty and I think I'm on the mend. I hope.

How big are your pills and how many mg of ibuprofen a day is that? I really don't like to warn people about injury risk because most things are a smaller problem than people think, but more than 1000mg of NSAIDS a day for more than a day or two is getting into an iffy kidney situation. Honestly I would recommend giving up on the pills and relying more on the MJ. MJ can work wonders and my understanding (I've never been to the AT) is that it's not too hard to find, though it will be more expensive than the NSAIDS.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah I've been taking 12 ibuprofen a day,
Are you still pooping?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Alan_Shore posted:

Don't take 12 a day while hiking, ffs.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

2400 mg of ibuprofen every day? Jesus

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Alan_Shore posted:

I've been taking 12 ibuprofen a day

Well, at least you're already nearly done with a bucket-list item!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Imodium, aspirin, vet tape, compressed gauze, bandaids, epi pen, antibiotics, longer trips will also include amoxicillin (fishmox).

Our normal hiking partners are a doctor and nurse they bring a rescue spot and a minimal kit.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
drat I'm at just about 400 miles in and I think I've taken about 6 Advil. :stare: