Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
goddamnit sagebrush and fishmech

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its the sentiment that counts :shobon:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
no, he's dissecting a precise claim made on the KS about what they're doing:

quote:

The 35x60x5mm battery lithium-metal able to heat 25ml of coffee from 15/20 degree up to 50/60 degree will happen in an estimated time between 5 and 8 seconds.

fish you've got zero ground to be going at sage over this, the KS claimed to do this and he's speaking directly to it. there's no "oh if they ACTUALLY did espresso," as a wholly separate failure from defying the laws of physics their warmed-over brew does not conform to the strict italian definition of espresso. that you've managed to conflate the two, separate, failures does not reflect on sage

now here's a retro kickstarter for y'all, some young traitorous upstarts left a good, honest company and tried to pitch some fancy new technology: https://www.fairchildsemi.com/application-notes/AN/AN-77.pdf
look at some of this "BUT WE'LL MAKE IT UP IN VOLUME" garbage:

quote:

Finally, there is no technical reason why CMOS prices cannot approach present day TTL prices as sales vol- ume and manufacturing experience increase. So, an engi- neer about to start a new design should compare the system level cost of using CMOS or some other logic family. He may find that, even at today’s prices, CMOS is the most economi- cal choice.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BobHoward posted:

this is a real weak and disappointing fishmeching you're not even technically correct

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JawnV6 posted:

no, he's dissecting a precise claim made on the KS about what they're doing:

oh so he's mad about some throwaway line where they just made some numbers up, as opposed to the rest of the kickstarter where they just made some poo poo up. so he's an idiot, got it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what if it uses its own battery plus the iphone battery

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Juicero sport Hot edition

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
how the kickstarter people arrived at their numbers: guess how much space they have for a battery, guess how hot it'll be, guess how long heating a thing takes. assume nobody's really going to check that and if the product comes out and is different, just say "yeah we needed to change design"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

fishmech posted:

how the kickstarter people arrived at their numbers: guess how much space they have for a battery, guess how hot it'll be, guess how long heating a thing takes. assume nobody's really going to check that and if the product comes out and is different, just say "yeah we needed to change design"

There are no particular risks in the realization of this idea because we have also developed a business plan that confirms its feasibility.

Moreover, we are persuaded that to work hardly and to have good ideas is always a positive thing.

If your support will go further our expectations, we are ready to do one's part; For this reason, we have already considered a prodution enlargement right to be ready for every chance of success.

All this will be our future common plan ... it will be our own next challenge!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fishmech posted:

oh so he's mad about some throwaway line where they just made some numbers up, as opposed to the rest of the kickstarter where they just made some poo poo up. so he's an idiot, got it.
at this point i'm not convinced you bothered to read the KS page before launching into this. did you even watch the video? this claim is repeated, it's central to the campaign:

it really looks like you read sage's mistake about the power coming from the iPhone, got confused with the addition of the italian espresso guidelines, and decided to poo poo up a few pages for no good reason

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JawnV6 posted:

at this point i'm not convinced you bothered to read the KS page before launching into this. did you even watch the video? this claim is repeated, it's central to the campaign:

it really looks like you read sage's mistake about the power coming from the iPhone, got confused with the addition of the italian espresso guidelines, and decided to poo poo up a few pages for no good reason

yeah they made up some numbers, why should we care? this actually started because sageidiot thought 3d printing your prototypes isnt allowed on kickstarter, since he's an idiot.

literally noone who buys this will care when it turns out the random numbers they put up aren't what it actually takes, if they ever even deliver a thing. except sagebrush apparently, who thinks the Problem is that the random numbers they use don't work, instead of the problem being "put coffee in your phone case"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

yeah they made up some numbers, why should we care? this actually started because sageidiot thought 3d printing your prototypes isnt allowed on kickstarter, since he's an idiot.

literally noone who buys this will care when it turns out the random numbers they put up aren't what it actually takes, if they ever even deliver a thing. except sagebrush apparently, who thinks the Problem is that the random numbers they use don't work, instead of the problem being "put coffee in your phone case"
you mad

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this is a very entertaining argument over the physics of a phone case that dispenses coffee for some loving reason

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fishmech posted:

no, it "actually" started when you aggressively misread a really impressive post where he laid out the physics on a specific claim of theirs, latched onto a throwaway comment at the end and needlessly conflated it with the capstone question meant to cover the bad physics, and are now backpedaling fast enough to brew coffee

that's the joy of KS for me and others, seeing such blatantly impossible claims get through their minimal vetting AND the backer's attention when they take off. you're not helping the conversation, you're just being an rear end

the loophole they're giving themselves is something about the special material in the resistor/heating element. so you could trickle-heat (lol) the element and have its mass at 45C (in your pocket, all day long) then when the "brew" moment comes, you don't need quite as much power from the battery in such a short time. so magic metal + supercap + magic battery... and I still can't make it all add up

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this is a very entertaining argument over the physics of a phone case that dispenses coffee for some loving reason

good thread title

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JawnV6 posted:

no, it "actually" started when you aggressively misread a really impressive post where he laid out the physics on a specific claim of theirs, latched onto a throwaway comment at the end and needlessly conflated it with the capstone question meant to cover the bad physics, and are now backpedaling fast enough to brew coffee

that's the joy of KS for me and others, seeing such blatantly impossible claims get through their minimal vetting AND the backer's attention when they take off. you're not helping the conversation, you're just being an rear end

the loophole they're giving themselves is something about the special material in the resistor/heating element. so you could trickle-heat (lol) the element and have its mass at 45C (in your pocket, all day long) then when the "brew" moment comes, you don't need quite as much power from the battery in such a short time. so magic metal + supercap + magic battery... and I still can't make it all add up

cool thing you made up, but it was actually sagebrush thinking 3d prints are illegal for prototypes and then attempting to backpedal to something to prove its violating kickstarter rules

the loophole they're giving themselves is that noone buying the coffee smartphone case is going to carefully check the time it takes to make coffee or whatever, hence why they just made up some numbers.

please continue melting down over how an entire stupid idea has subsidiary stupid ideas though

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

cool thing you made up, but it was actually sagebrush thinking 3d prints are illegal for prototypes and then attempting to backpedal to something to prove its violating kickstarter rules

the loophole they're giving themselves is that noone buying the coffee smartphone case is going to carefully check the time it takes to make coffee or whatever, hence why they just made up some numbers.

please continue melting down over how an entire stupid idea has subsidiary stupid ideas though

shut up nerd

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Even in the bizarro world where 25g of coffee heated to satisfaction is possible, thats still less than a 1 oz shot glass full of coffee. You'd pretty much have to start on wednesday in order to fill your big rear end I <3 MONDAYS cup for the start of the week

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what is this a cup of coffee for ants - derek zoolander

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Even in the bizarro world where 25g of coffee heated to satisfaction is possible, thats still less than a 1 oz shot glass full of coffee. You'd pretty much have to start on wednesday in order to fill your big rear end I <3 MONDAYS cup for the start of the week

25g is a standard shot of espresso tho

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this should automatically be posted after every post in yospos

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this should automatically be posted after every post in yospos
shut up nerd

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

anthonypants posted:

shut up nerd

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

working great so far

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

the stuff they have would be fine for a conceptual product in a second-year design studio, where the point is to have the student work through a design process and build a representational model to evaluate form and fit and not really delve into engineering questions. i don't know what kickstarter expects i guess but they are nowhere near what even a layman would call a "working prototype"
oh, meant to ask about this. the startup incubator i used to work with split things into 'works like' and 'looks like' models, like it's fine if you can't converge the two but you want something to put in front of humans and a separate engineering test vehicle. engineering-centric folks would balk at the ID one, but still get shocked when for example someone would pick up a brick and manage to use it "wrong" consistently

so i saw a lot of Model Solutions products, to the point where I could guess just based on the box. is that the kind of thing some rich student could order if their crafting wasn't up to snuff? or is the whole point to make it yourself and it'd be cheating to use them?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm on a kickstarter where the guy kept making excuses and delaying for like 2 years and now seems to finally have abandoned it for good and people keep raging out in comments and posting personal poo poo about where he lives and how he's an alcoholic and basically the first and last kickstarter I ever tried out is some awful Jerry Springer hellscape

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

shut up fishmech, you're wrong

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

fishmech posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

oh, meant to ask about this. the startup incubator i used to work with split things into 'works like' and 'looks like' models, like it's fine if you can't converge the two but you want something to put in front of humans and a separate engineering test vehicle. engineering-centric folks would balk at the ID one, but still get shocked when for example someone would pick up a brick and manage to use it "wrong" consistently

so i saw a lot of Model Solutions products, to the point where I could guess just based on the box. is that the kind of thing some rich student could order if their crafting wasn't up to snuff? or is the whole point to make it yourself and it'd be cheating to use them?

splitting your prototypes into "looks like" and "works like" variants is totally normal and expected in the design process

like say you're designing, i dunno, a new kind of exercise bike. at an early stage you want to figure out the general mechanical layout of the system and verify that it's ergonomically and mechanically viable. but it's still early phases and you can't waste the time and money making a bunch of cnc'd aluminum parts and welded pipe frames and such when you haven't even tested the basic concept. so you get some bicycle parts and 2x4s and make a chunky wooden model that has the key human-interface components (seat, pedals, bars) in the right places, that's strong enough to hold up when someone sits on it, but it only took you a week in the shop and 200 bucks instead of months and tens of thousands.

meanwhile, you start using your killer sketching skills and conceptualize the look of the finished product. you design it to use all kinds of sweet organic forms and fancy billet aluminum pieces and custom bent tubing and stuff. but machining aluminum is expensive and bending tubes is hard. so you make a full-scale model that looks real, but it's still made of wood sanded and painted to look like glossy plastic, and heat-bent black ABS pipe standing in for metal tubing, and 3D printed things spray-painted silver to look like the fancy billet parts. it can't stand up to use -- indeed it's probably not functional at all -- but it looks the part and gets people excited and the other designers can critique the form and so on.

when you bring people in for user testing, you say "ok, this is what it's going to look like, what do you think" and get their feedback, then "alright, now sit on this mechanical prototype and tell us how it feels." i'm simplifying that a bit, even -- sometimes you'll have pure mechanical prototypes that cannot be used without instruction (your brick example), and sometimes you'll have UX/ergonomics/affordance prototypes where you give it to the user and see what they do -- even the way they initially grasp some unfamiliar object when picking it up can give you tons of information -- and sometimes you'll have pure aesthetic models where you just ask people if it looks cool or swooshy or friendly or if they like the color or w/e.

now ideally you've got confirmation that the design is mostly good and the mechanicals are mostly workable, and there isn't any huge problem that would require starting over. so you can start buttoning down specific features, making decisions about some materials, dimensions, manufacturing processes, etc. using the information from your first round of testing, you refine and iterate, and build another set of prototypes that are more accurate (to the intended production model) than the first ones. maybe you do get a few billet parts machined this time around so you can stress-test them. maybe you weld up a tube frame for the appearance model but the body panels are still painted wood. maybe you get the first run of a circuit board fabbed so you can start testing the electronics.

the process continues in a loop like that, getting closer and closer to the "real thing", until you either decide that the design's perfect (only very rare and elite design studios have that privilege) or you run out of time or money and have to ship (everyone else).

so yes, it's totally normal at an early stage to have a shiny plastic model that doesn't do anything but looks like what you want the thing to look like, and a real hacky looking thing with bolts and screws and wires sticking out everywhere that demonstrates how it works. these kicksharter guys have the first one, sort of -- they didn't even paint their 3d printed models, just left them the raw nylon -- but i didn't see any indication that they'd built a works-like model, that would at least show that they can heat up the coffee in the time they claim, that their cartridge-puncturing system works as described, etc. I assumed that was a site requirement, since to me a looks-like prototype of this sort of product, where the intended appearance is "a flat, unadorned plastic thing" and all the important functionality is internal, is like just barely above a rendering in terms of utility.

i gotta cut this off cause i can do :words: forever cause again this is like my literal career and all but yea that's why you have all kinds of different prototypes for different purposes

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 6, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

oh lol and with all that sperging i didn't even address this

yes, i have had students who just ordered their models from a model shop, and i went to school with a few people like that as well. whether it's cheating depends on the lesson goal. i'd certainly fail a student in a lab class if they hired a service to do the work for them, because the whole point of the lab is to experience the process yourself and understand the ramifications that process will have for the design of the part. like if you design a part to be 3-axis CNC machined and it's got overhangs and you have to set up the toolpaths yourself, it's immediately obvious how you screwed up and why you can't make parts like that if the process is CNC machining.

if it's for a studio class...well...the idea in those classes is to have the model and use it for testing, to refine the design. how you made the model isn't as important. i would always prefer that a student do the work themselves, but sometimes it's reasonable to farm something out (e.g. if you need a huge water-jet-cut metal part, complex TIG welding that you don't have the skills to pull off, etc.). farming out the entire model is usually technically allowed, but not encouraged, and imo lame as hell.

when i was in school one of the other students was the son of some wealthy car dealer and when it came time for his thesis project, he built a solidworks model of the whole thing, sent the plans to a fabricator to have the pieces cut, took those parts to a welder to have them professionally assembled, and dropped it off at the powder-coater and went skiing for a week, while the rest of us were in the shops 18 hours a day. i think he spent like $4000 on it while most people's models probably cost a tenth of that, and the fit and finish was amazing. (the design itself was still just mediocre, ofc).

nobody liked him very much.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 6, 2017

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

when i was in school one of the other students was the son of some wealthy car dealer and when it came time for his thesis project, he built a solidworks model of the whole thing, sent the plans to a fabricator to have the pieces cut, took those parts to a welder to have them professionally assembled, and dropped it off at the powder-coater and went skiing for a week, while the rest of us were in the shops 18 hours a day. i think he spent like $4000 on it while most people's models probably cost a tenth of that, and the fit and finish was amazing. (the design itself was still just mediocre, ofc).
did he pass?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, he did fine. but the critique of that guy's project was the only time that i can recall the professor, who was the nicest and most forgiving guy imaginable, having a tinge of sarcasm in his voice. "well, your model looks great" :rolleyes:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

splitting your prototypes into "looks like" and "works like" variants is totally normal and expected in the design process

like say you're designing, i dunno, a new kind of exercise bike. at an early stage you want to figure out the general mechanical layout of the system and verify that it's ergonomically and mechanically viable. but it's still early phases and you can't waste the time and money making a bunch of cnc'd aluminum parts and welded pipe frames and such when you haven't even tested the basic concept. so you get some bicycle parts and 2x4s and make a chunky wooden model that has the key human-interface components (seat, pedals, bars) in the right places, that's strong enough to hold up when someone sits on it, but it only took you a week in the shop and 200 bucks instead of months and tens of thousands.

meanwhile, you start using your killer sketching skills and conceptualize the look of the finished product. you design it to use all kinds of sweet organic forms and fancy billet aluminum pieces and custom bent tubing and stuff. but machining aluminum is expensive and bending tubes is hard. so you make a full-scale model that looks real, but it's still made of wood sanded and painted to look like glossy plastic, and heat-bent black ABS pipe standing in for metal tubing, and 3D printed things spray-painted silver to look like the fancy billet parts. it can't stand up to use -- indeed it's probably not functional at all -- but it looks the part and gets people excited and the other designers can critique the form and so on.

when you bring people in for user testing, you say "ok, this is what it's going to look like, what do you think" and get their feedback, then "alright, now sit on this mechanical prototype and tell us how it feels." i'm simplifying that a bit, even -- sometimes you'll have pure mechanical prototypes that cannot be used without instruction (your brick example), and sometimes you'll have UX/ergonomics/affordance prototypes where you give it to the user and see what they do -- even the way they initially grasp some unfamiliar object when picking it up can give you tons of information -- and sometimes you'll have pure aesthetic models where you just ask people if it looks cool or swooshy or friendly or if they like the color or w/e.

now ideally you've got confirmation that the design is mostly good and the mechanicals are mostly workable, and there isn't any huge problem that would require starting over. so you can start buttoning down specific features, making decisions about some materials, dimensions, manufacturing processes, etc. using the information from your first round of testing, you refine and iterate, and build another set of prototypes that are more accurate (to the intended production model) than the first ones. maybe you do get a few billet parts machined this time around so you can stress-test them. maybe you weld up a tube frame for the appearance model but the body panels are still painted wood. maybe you get the first run of a circuit board fabbed so you can start testing the electronics.

the process continues in a loop like that, getting closer and closer to the "real thing", until you either decide that the design's perfect (only very rare and elite design studios have that privilege) or you run out of time or money and have to ship (everyone else).

so yes, it's totally normal at an early stage to have a shiny plastic model that doesn't do anything but looks like what you want the thing to look like, and a real hacky looking thing with bolts and screws and wires sticking out everywhere that demonstrates how it works. these kicksharter guys have the first one, sort of -- they didn't even paint their 3d printed models, just left them the raw nylon -- but i didn't see any indication that they'd built a works-like model, that would at least show that they can heat up the coffee in the time they claim, that their cartridge-puncturing system works as described, etc. I assumed that was a site requirement, since to me a looks-like prototype of this sort of product, where the intended appearance is "a flat, unadorned plastic thing" and all the important functionality is internal, is like just barely above a rendering in terms of utility.

i gotta cut this off cause i can do :words: forever cause again this is like my literal career and all but yea that's why you have all kinds of different prototypes for different purposes

sorry, you're wrong. fishmech knows best.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1850927902/every-day-tray-edt

finally, a tray to hold all your dumb kickstarter gadgets

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fishmech posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1850927902/every-day-tray-edt

finally, a tray to hold all your dumb kickstarter gadgets

https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=valet+tray