Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I find, working for another company a bit on the side, that I need a chunk of contiguous hours to get any worthwhile coding in. I don't usually work during the week, because by the time I get home, work out, and eat dinner, it's only an hour or two before I should be going to bed. Sure, I could try to use that hour or two, but I'd just be getting ramped up, and then I'd have to pull away to go to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Volmarias posted:

This isn't college, why are you asking people about extracurricular activities as a signal instead of just to put the candidate at ease? I understand not having a lot of good signal to evaluate a candidate on but this is ridiculous.

Programmer here, I generally no longer enjoy taking the busman's holiday of programming in my spare time, because I've got so very little effective spare time. This is a problem for me, because employers just assume that you want to learn new skills all the time on your own time, which is a thing that's far more accessible to generally younger and lower paid employees who actually have the time to do that. I also really enjoy reading, but I'm so drained by the end of the day that I find it hard to put in the mental energy to actually keep track. I don't want someone to ask me "so what have you read lately, let's discuss" and then judge me for having only gotten five pages in to my most recent choice in the last 3 months.

This dude just wants to drop a line in the water whenever he gets the chance, he's not going to say "well I don't really enjoy fishing for the fish but rather for the social aspect of hanging out with my buddies and drinking a couple so that we can complain about our lives. Ultimately, our coolers come in full of beer and leave empty of fish, and that's ok." This dude isn't going to say that because it's none of your business and the idea that he has to tell you about his personal time to get hired and then get judged on it is a little gross.

Lol I gotta spend hours of years of my life with these people: if they ain't passionate about their hobbies, then they probably aren't passionate, and I'm not sure they'd be a culture fit.

I come home and work on computer stuff a couple times a week. Recently it's been gamedev. It's usually always fun or interesting stuff. I also spend a large amount of time doing other stuff, like gym, travel, going out with friends, etc. I def have a passion for what I do, and when I come home I get to indulge in the more creative side of it than work allows. I also work at a nice place that doesn't suck my soul away.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

B-Nasty posted:

I find, working for another company a bit on the side, that I need a chunk of contiguous hours to get any worthwhile coding in. I don't usually work during the week, because by the time I get home, work out, and eat dinner, it's only an hour or two before I should be going to bed. Sure, I could try to use that hour or two, but I'd just be getting ramped up, and then I'd have to pull away to go to bed.

Task it out, so that when you do get time you can just work on 30-45 minute tasks. Spend 1-2 hours upfront architecting your tasks,

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

KoRMaK posted:

Task it out, so that when you do get time you can just work on 30-45 minute tasks. Spend 1-2 hours upfront architecting your tasks,

I've set up Trello as a Kanban board for personal projects. It's great.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
And when do you get to spend time raising your kids with that ?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

AskYourself posted:

I do not have children, but I know several people who use an hour or two on projects after their kids go to sleep a couple times a week.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

leper khan posted:

I do not have children, but I know several people who use an hour or two on projects after their kids go to sleep a couple times a week.

I spend that hour or two collapsed on a couch, utterly fatigued and unable to actually do the things that need to get done, let alone working on projects. I guess that's what separates the Randian superheroes from the rest of us!!!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Volmarias posted:

I spend that hour or two collapsed on a couch, utterly fatigued and unable to actually do the things that need to get done, let alone working on projects. I guess that's what separates the Randian superheroes from the rest of us!!!

Sounds like you smokin too much weed my man

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Here's a dumb thing I made because I've been watching too much game of thrones

The ritual is that you gotta recite it at the beginning of every sprint, after tickets have been estimated.

quote:

Tickets gather, and now my sprint begins. It shall not end but in a fortnight. I shall take no unscheduled holiday, hold no unscheduled meetings, find no distractions. I shall not be finished until my team is finished. I shall live and die by my throughput. I am the sword in the backlog. I am the watcher of scope. I am the shield that guards against shipping poo poo.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

KoRMaK posted:

The ritual is that you gotta recite it at the beginning of every sprint, after tickets have been estimated.

That last sentence can really change the meaning, depending on how you read it.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Im drinking red wine and watching Fraser. shits exhausting man.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

KoRMaK posted:

Here's a dumb thing I made because I've been watching too much game of thrones

Rollout Is Coming™

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Tickets gather, and now my sprint begins. It shall not end but in a fortnight. I shall take no unscheduled holiday, hold no unscheduled meetings, find no distractions. I shall not be finished until my team is finished. I shall live and die by my throughput. I am the sword in the backlog. I am the watcher of scope. I am the shield that guards against shipping poo poo.
I hate this so much

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

leper khan posted:

Project like preparing their lunch, cleaning the house and dishes and doing the laundry ?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Rollout Is Coming™

I pray for a glimpse of Agile Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only SAFe.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

AskYourself posted:

Project like preparing their lunch, cleaning the house and dishes and doing the laundry ?

And spending time with my spouse.

Although if I spent all my nights loving with code and then she divorced me and took the kids I could get a lot of personal projects done! I remember some blog post by a Python maintainer who actually did this, and it was real sad.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

AskYourself posted:

Make sure you add in a card or two for this on your personal Trello board.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

CPColin posted:

I was helping phone-screen a candidate once who had sent in a resume that was something like six pages long with basically everything she ever did at every place. I think I printed out the first four pages of it at 50% scale, unlike everybody else there. She talked so much during the screen that nobody challenged her knowledge or tried to relate her knowledge to the duties of the position we were trying to fill.

At the end of the phone screen, everybody on the panel went, "She seemed to know her stuff!" and I was very confused.

One of the last phone screens I did the interviewer talked for 22 minutes straight in a 30 minute scheduled interview. I tried my damnedest to cut in where I could without being rude but gently caress it was hard. He basically asked me about 3-4 minutes of questions, launched into his 22 minute monologue, and then I scrambled to ask at least 10-15 minutes of questions after. Got a "moving forward with other candidates" a week later. Either it was some kind of elaborate experiment and I failed or just the weirdest interview ever.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
We've taken to doing a 40min long code pairing as part of the screening process. It's still early but so far it's worked out great. We do the same exercise for every candidate, tweaking expectations to their seniority level.

This has made candidate evaluations a bit more structured and screens out the bullshitters but without requiring a time commitment that typical take home coding exercises might require.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Iverron posted:

One of the last phone screens I did the interviewer talked for 22 minutes straight in a 30 minute scheduled interview. I tried my damnedest to cut in where I could without being rude but gently caress it was hard. He basically asked me about 3-4 minutes of questions, launched into his 22 minute monologue, and then I scrambled to ask at least 10-15 minutes of questions after. Got a "moving forward with other candidates" a week later. Either it was some kind of elaborate experiment and I failed or just the weirdest interview ever.

I've had multiple interviews like this. I just try to be an active listener (look interested, say encouraging things) and wait for them to get around to asking me a question. There were a couple where I left thinking, "They didn't learn a single thing about me as a candidate...". The weirdest part was getting offers because I "got" what the company was all about.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iverron posted:

Dude's just a lovely interviewer

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

That's a good tip.

I really need to be more diligent about prepping my tasks for the following week so I can drop in for short chunks of time. I believe I'm an excellent coder and architect, but my time management skills suck. Probably why I shy away from management.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

That's a good tip.

I really need to be more diligent about prepping my tasks for the following week so I can drop in for short chunks of time. I believe I'm an excellent coder and architect, but my time management skills suck. Probably why I shy away from management.

There's an orielly book you can read in an hour or so that wasn't bad. Time management for sys admins.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Working on Sunday is great. Fantastic commute, half-empty office, expensed lunch, low workload, and I still get a day in lieu :c00lbert:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I know we had a huge git discussion last week but this is what happened. After working on some github project and making small commits (with useful commit message), I made a PR. This PR thus contained a ton of commits and after some discussion, I made a ton more.
Then the PR was accepted and my contrib calendar lit up like a Christmas tree.

Sometimes at work I make small commits and my PR look like poo poo thanks to it.

What was that "bundle these commits up before making a PR" trick?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
  • Make a branch
  • Commit stuff to it
  • Open a PR
  • Keep committing stuff before the PR is merged

This is bad practice, though. Your PR should be in its final form from the moment you open it, unless the maintainer asks for changes. Small PRs that deal with specific issues are the easiest to manage, although it's not always possible when dealing with large changes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Keetron posted:

What was that "bundle these commits up before making a PR" trick?
The practice in most shops doing code review is to rebase your work-in-progress commits into a single feature commit for review.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 8, 2017

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
The reviewer could also do a simple squash merge depending on the platform you're using.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, squashing them is good practice. At my shop, we review unsquashed PRs, but squash them before merging. Keeps the history cleaner, but allows more detailed review.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do you not step through commits in order to see how everything changed? That makes reviewing a lot easier for me. Squashing them would make that impossible.

Also we're in a code freeze/halt thing so we're not getting anything done this week. My productivity has tanked and this doesn't help :shepface: I might as well spend this time self learning before I leave.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pollyanna posted:

Do you not step through commits in order to see how everything changed? That makes reviewing a lot easier for me. Squashing them would make that impossible.

Also we're in a code freeze/halt thing so we're not getting anything done this week. My productivity has tanked and this doesn't help :shepface: I might as well spend this time self learning before I leave.

You could always work in a local branch?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

How do you guys do PRs? We use the built-in bitbucket PRs and it just shows a diff between the source and target branch. Squashing seems unnecessary.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You can rebase your many "asdf" "wip" "works" etc commits into one or more coherent commits with actually reasonable commit messages.

Personally, I'll prefer to rebase into sets of the smallest reasonable changes. For example, if I'm adding a new feature to allow Fizzing my Bubs from my engine, but the engine doesn't have the concept of a Bubs modifier, I might make a commit that exposed a Bubs modifier interface, then one that implements the interface to Fizz Bubs. Rather than one commit, I cleanly separate the concepts, which in my opinion makes a nicer history.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

ChickenWing posted:

How do you guys do PRs? We use the built-in bitbucket PRs and it just shows a diff between the source and target branch. Squashing seems unnecessary.

Bitbucket has an open to auto-squash on merge. Full commit history during code review and readable commit history on master.
(maybe github does too?)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
A lot of the best practices around commit squashing are going to be tooling-specific, too. For example, GitHub has a concept of pull requests where a pull request might encompass multiple commits. Gerrit, on the other hand, uses a model of 1 commit = 1 change for review. The UX on each of these kind of promotes a different workflow.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Gounads posted:

Bitbucket has an open to auto-squash on merge. Full commit history during code review and readable commit history on master.
(maybe github does too?)

Yeah, github has this as well. It's super handy.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Here's our PR process:

1. Break tests
2. Create PR without running tests locally
3. PR build fails
4. Reviewer merges without looking at code or failed build
5. Develop build fails
6. "Must be a problem with the frontend"

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

You can send it to prod and blaim test for not finding the defects, glossing over the fact there was no time left before the fixed deadline.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Isn't that worse? If you make comments as you go along you're commenting on things that the author already realized and changed in a later commit. If you're not then you have to keep a giant mental map of all of the incremental changes along the way and then figure out with which one you should comment on. Even in the case when they're a bunch of small commits rather than a feature branch squashed commit, I just do a git diff origin/master..HEAD and then ask the person about it them. (All of the tools for automated code reviews we use support squash commit viewing, but some projects just do rubber duck code review.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:shrug: You don't have to comment as you step through, I just wait until the end before I bring up stuff that didn't eventually get addressed. Granted, I do this mostly for large scale changes instead of relatively minor things, so maybe it's different in that case.