Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

there was probably some concurrent work going on, i'm sure
especially with Shadows always having been a smaller remake project overall, it was probably never supposed to tie up the whole studio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

We already knew it had a different director, lead artist and will be on a different engine than the switch game. They probably started planning for FE15 shortly after they finished Fates; summer 2K15.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FELD1 posted:

It's comforting to know there are worse FE players than me out there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
English of SoV's DLC list. I don't know what the Cipher DLC entails but we're apparently getting that.

https://serenesforest.net/2017/05/03/echoes-english-official-site-renewal-dlc-plans/

Tae fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 6, 2017

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
RIP the 3DS, 'twas an excellent console and perfectly suited for Fire Emblem's needs

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/05/fire-emblem-echoes-will-be-the-last-mainline-fire-emblem-game-for-3ds/

It seems that Shadows of Valentia will be the last mainline Fire Emblem game for the 3DS. Which could potentially mean either the series is shifting completely to the Switch or there's a new handheld successor to the 3DS coming soon, and that's where the series will move to.

The Switch might very well be the new handheld successor to the 3DS.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the only fire emblems i've played are the ones ported to america, and i hated the fe1 remake, is shadows of valentia like that game or is it more better?

i know its most like sacred stones, a game i love dearly, but i'm just curious what aspects of it might be fustrating for a rather casual fe player

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

If the console lets me play FE in bed, it is good.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought there were going to be a new 3ds fire emblem game or am I confusing it with SMT?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I thought there were going to be a new 3ds fire emblem game or am I confusing it with SMT?

There is, it's out in North America in like 2 weeks.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I think FE Warriors is getting a port to the 3DS to go along with the Switch version.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's specifically New 3DS only, a lesson they learned from lying about Hyrule Warriors being able to run on OG 3ds when it was clearly not.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

mandatory lesbian posted:

the only fire emblems i've played are the ones ported to america, and i hated the fe1 remake, is shadows of valentia like that game or is it more better?

i know its most like sacred stones, a game i love dearly, but i'm just curious what aspects of it might be fustrating for a rather casual fe player

It is deffo more better than the fe1 remake. It plays pretty modern, you can just tell it's actually old.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i for one will not be buying this new 3ds fire emblem game so that they will definitely not make more fire emblem games for that console!

and i hope you all do the same! we have to show them that fire emblem should be on the switch and switch only!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm gonna buy path of radiance again so they know to only make fire emblem for the one true console, the gamecube

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

They need to re-release Radiant Dawn with the Support conversations they forgot to add.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The lack of support conversations is honestly one of the least of RD's problems.

Edit: Not that i'd hope a re-release doesn't add some, but there's some other stuff i'd prefer they address first.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 6, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wassup homies and homiettes (kill me), after 2 days of EXTREMELY IMPORTED AND NOT EMULATED echoes gameplay, im here to dish out some Endorph... endorph... e... ensights. Anyway I know JP unlike the rest of these fucks so I can actually give full thoughts.

THE GOOD

-The Music. Gaiden has always had the best music in the series, and Echoes updates it beautifully. There's not a song in this OST that I don't like, and my only complaint is that there isn't a lot if it and they didn't backport the FE13/14 ablaze system. After two games of that, it's jarring to have the music switch back and forth between the map theme and the attack theme.

The Writing. The writings' actually pretty strong! The main plot is expanded on and fleshed out in a way that makes you feel for both Alm and Celica, the new antagonist isn't especially interesting but he does a good job giving the villains an actual face. Gaiden's always had some interesting core conceits, and Echoes does a good job expanding on them without making the whole thing too overdone or pretentious. Some of the nitty gritty of the plot is still a little doofy, but the pacing's pretty strong and the Celica and Alm actually have a pretty compelling dynamic and give-and-take.

The Characters. Adding supports and base convos does a lot for these guys, and more than that the fact that there aren't a lot of either characters or supports means nobody really wears out their welcome. I think everyone could have done for a couple more supports, but after Fates and Awakening it's nice to have a one-note gag character like Faye just do her gag and then be done with it. My personal favorites are Leo, who's a perfect boy, and Grey, who's also a perfect boy. A couple of people in the cast are kinda dull (Valbar, for instance) but I didn't dislike anyone. And even if you did dislike someone, there's enough to characterize people but not enough for them to wear out their welcome.

The Balance low growth rates own, gently caress all y'all

Graphics The combat animations are freaking fantastic, smooth and natural and with a lot of pop. The best the series have ever had, bar none. Due to the small cast, everyone also has unique outfits even when they promote and stuff, and the villagers keep their color schemes through all their classes, which is nice.

The Questionable

Map Design I think this game's map design is more defensible than Awakening's, because it doesnt have pair-up cocking up the core gameplay of Fire Emblem, but it's still mostly big fields and almost zero side objectives. And there's some places where it's indefensible, like the string of desert maps midway through Celica's Route.

The Balance? The game's fairly balanced by having such a small cast and splitting that already small cast up - even if, say, Leo is strictly worse than the other archers in the game and also every villager as an archer, he's on Celica's route and everyone else except potentially Atlas is on Alm's route, so he still has room to shine. But on the other hand, there are still places where the balance is kind of weird. Tobin and Grey getting buffed and Kliff getting nerfed, for instance, so that Kliff has nothing making up for his low base stats since he isn't even the best mage anymore.

Also there are way too few classes. I get why, since there's no weapon triangle, but by endgame your party is the lords, 5-6 mages, 2-3 healers, 5-6 cavaliers, 6-7 mercenaries, 4-5 peg knights 3-4 knights, and 2-3 archers. its just kinda dull.

Villagers, in general For the record, I freaking love villagers. They're basically my ideal version of 'reclassing,' since you can just pick a class you want these characters to be without having to futz with second seals or heart seals or grinding up gold way before you're supposed to be able to or whatever the hell else hoops I had to jump through just to do a run of Conquest where everyone was in their alt. classes. But if you're playing the game without a guide, it's pretty much impossible to make an informed decision. You can't see their growths, you can't see their spell lists, etc. It just feels like such a waste to make casual players guess blindly about what everyone should be. It's not super complex or anything and you can beat the game with the villagers in any class you feel like, but you will have to look up serenes or whatever if you want to make any decision besides blind guessing.

The Bad

The Desert. gently caress the desert.

The post-game chapter God, this place sucks. The enemies are all incredibly overtuned, at least on hard, in a way that I can't help but feel like was designed to force you to buy DLC. My tankiest unit, Valbar, dies in two hits. Everyone else dies in one. More than that, it's just a 15 floor dungeon crawl with no dialogue besides wall scrolls. this place blows my rear end. Pretty much the only reasonable way to get through it is to spam Silk's 'summon illusions' spell, since enemies seem to prioritize the ghost soldiers instead of your guys, and just sitting there while Silk summons 50 danny phantoms and Leon and Atlas take turns shooting the baddies from 5 spaces away isn't enjoyable or interesting.

overall: 8/10.

It's not shadow dragon, at all, because it's an actually good game for starters, but it's got some mild jank due to its status as a remake of an old-rear end, weird game. A lot of that jank is fun, but it gets irritating in a few places, and I think there's more they could have done to make the game more fun while preserving the things that make Gaiden unique. It's still a very fun, enjoyable game though, and due to its short length and choice-based elements like the villagers and sonia/deen, filled with replay value.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Who's complaining about low growths

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes i meant 'gently caress all y'all' in an aggressive way where i actually hate everyone in this thread and it wasnt just a casual joke based on literally nothing because i just wanted to point out that i liked low growths in a funny way

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I was asking if this was some new reddit gaf complaint that popped up recently.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean im sure someone somewhere has complained about it but i dont read either of those places

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
thanks endorph, for the big post. i read it, i think i'll like shadows, can't wait until 2 weeks from now

i don't know why i felt the need to specifically say i read it, but whatevs. guess i don't want you to think it was a waste to put effort into a long-post.

mandatory lesbian fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 6, 2017

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

hi im excited for the fire emblem please don't be mean to me again I don't think I could take it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

Who's complaining about low growths

It's like one of the first things I see brought up for Binding Blade/Thracia when people criticize them. Which is dumb, because low-growth games have way worse enemies than Awakening's guys.

Anyway, thank you for the effortpost, Endorph.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i wont read the big post
but i appreciate its existence, probably

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If sov is a short game, then why does it have 3 tiers of promotion? Does the third tier barely exist?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Promotions work differently. You don't go like, 20/20, once a character reaches a specific level, say 7, you get a text box that says "This unit can now be promoted!", at which point you should immediately take them to a shrine and promote them, there are no benefits to waiting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

If sov is a short game, then why does it have 3 tiers of promotion? Does the third tier barely exist?
classes have their own promotion levels and they're very low, like 5-11, and theres no reason to wait

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, the promotion gains are just the new classes bases, so a villager going to mercenary gets their speed bumped up to, say, 8 if it was 1-7 before and nothing happens to the stats that were equal or worse. So it's like the one time besides Genealogy where promoting ASAP makes sense.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Low growths are only bad when they are in the same game as high growths.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the big open maps are noticeably worse than awakening's big open maps. Like, way way worse. Otherwise that review is pretty similar to what I'd write if I had to effortpost.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like not knowing what the villagers best classes are. It lets me make them whatever I like without guilt.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I made Faye the "wrong" class and she was my second best unit in Alm's army so

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I made Faye the "wrong" class and she was my second best unit in Alm's army so
tbh since faye is new she's pretty balanced and good in every class. cavalier is kind of a waste but she's still good in it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

im enjoying FE6 but i hope this is the last Fog map

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres only like 3 in the game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RME posted:

im enjoying FE6 but i hope this is the last Fog map

What chapter are you on? There's 6 total.

Chapter 9: The Misty Isles
Chapter 14: Arcadia
Chapter 17A: The Bishop's Teachings
Chapter 19B: Bitter Cold
Chapter 20A: The Silver Wolf
Chapter 21x: The Elder Revelation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ah, I never take the ilia route

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071