Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

Well I mean, without it there would be 5 more episodes instead of 6. It's not like there was an extra episode they canceled to make this one.

Whenever I see people bitching about filler, I just think of the S1 thread and how it was packed with people complaining about how various plot threads were pointless and irrelevant that ended up paying off big time later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Whenever I see people bitching about filler, I just think of the S1 thread and how it was packed with people complaining about how various plot threads were pointless and irrelevant that ended up paying off big time later.

B-b-but, what about the outrigger?!?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The GDR lady who torments Kevin is freaking fantastic in The Handmaids Tale.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

The GDR lady who torments Kevin is freaking fantastic in The Handmaids Tale.

I know everyone loves Carrie Coon but Ann Dowd is the best on the show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also Ann Dowd had a small role on a show called Quarry which is really good and she killed it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ann Dowd was phenomenal. Emmy worthy performance imo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ann Dowd and Margo Martindale should play sisters or best friends in something. Like, they both need to headline a show.

Watch Justified S2 to see what I mean.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Ann Dowd is also in The Handmaid's Tale.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

She was also a minor character in Quarry, like Niwrad said, but you shouldn't watch that show

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Ann Dowd was in a movie called Compliance based on a true story.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Onomarchus posted:

Saw this, enjoyed it for the "holy gently caress, HOW did this ever happen?!" value.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

She was also in a little show called True Detective that some people liked

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Onomarchus posted:

Holy crap, yes that was a great movie.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
She was also in The Leftovers on HBO

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The Leftovers Season 3: It's Ann Dowd all the way down

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Why did Kevin kill Patti the way he did?

Maybe it's because Justin Theroux is apparently... well-Ann-Dowd :smug:

Edit: G'night, everyone, you've been wonderful! Tip your waiter.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Onomarchus posted:

Just watched this based on this recos in this thread and, drat, what a powerful but totally hosed up movie. Dowd was great, reminded me of bosses I had as a teenager.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So are there any theories on the guy who burned himself alive? Is he someone who was turned down from the people who will help "send you over" to the other side?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Let the mystery be

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Niwrad posted:

So are there any theories on the guy who burned himself alive? Is he someone who was turned down from the people who will help "send you over" to the other side?

This seems likely to me. If they're the types to put people through IQ exams and various other screening rigamarole, a moral quiz with utilitarian trolley problems seems in-character too.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Game time! Also I'm all on the Ann Dowd train.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

YES!! YES!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

CUM EVERYWHERE

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

She is totally going to succumb to despair and get burnt alive by these weirdos

edit: my hot take was a cold take

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 8, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm someone that's been a bit critical so far this season but that episode was fantastic

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
What a fantastic episode. No other tv show can pull off the variety of music each episode has. Uncanny.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
I never thought I'd see take on me used to such incredible effect drat. Also I really want to hear the full piano version of it now too. Things are really starting to get awesome so stoked for next week

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The twist with the woman not being Evie was telegraphed a little too hard, but otherwise that was a pretty good episode. Insane Kevin is best Kevin.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I can't even

nopants
May 29, 2004
This show is beautiful.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Christ in hell this show is a wrecking ball.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Great ep overall but I think that final shot rocketed things to another level, despite being maybe the most on-the-nose visual possible. It was just so drat effective and evocative, especially with the nice diegetic fade to black.

The sad realization that we're already halfway through the season makes me wonder exactly how much farther any of these plot threads have to run. Given the tease at the beginning of the season, I'm guessing things...aren't going to get a whole lot better from here on out, for any characters we know or the world at large.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Based on the trailer, the next episode better use the Doctor Who theme for the opening.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SLOSifl posted:

Christ in hell this show is a wrecking ball.

This season might have replaced Rectify and The Americans for best tv ever for me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They're laying on the pregnancy symbolism pretty thick. At first they were being subtle, like shots of the blurry baby changing table in the background while they had bathroom sex, and a couple vague references last episode. But then they went full tilt with mentioning the IUD and the final shot.

:wtf: at that bullshit question Nora had to answer though. How is THAT relevant to qualifying? It reminded me of the Voight-Kampff test in Blade Runner.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's a Utilitarian thought experiment. If you subscribe to the idea that moral good stems from maximizing pleasure and minimizing suffering, you let the baby die in order to save untold millions. If you're on board with some other moral philosophy (maybe you're a Kantian concerned with the morality of specific acts irrespective of justifications), then you refuse to kill.

Of course, the question is useless. Killing a baby is straight-up unthinkable in practical contexts, so the scenario has to laboriously pile on a ton of absurd bullshit (clairvoyance and cancer cures) to even put the idea on the table-- which means the question has nothing to do with practically-applied morality.

Then again, maybe that's what the interviewee is supposed to recognize and respond with. The guy who immolated himself in the previous episode gave the opposite answer from Nora, so it seems like they want some third-way trick answer, a rejection of the question, or a particular way of thinking about the question that Nora and the other guy failed to demonstrate.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 8, 2017

loosenukes
Feb 14, 2005

you don't put your best missile in your crummiest hole

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's a Utilitarian thought experiment. If you subscribe to the idea that moral good stems from maximizing pleasure and minimizing suffering, you let the baby die in order to save untold millions. If you're on board with some other moral philosophy (maybe you're a Kantian concerned with the morality of specific acts irrespective of justifications), then you refuse to kill.

Of course, the question is useless. Killing a baby is straight-up unthinkable in practical contexts, so the scenario has to laboriously pile on a ton of absurd bullshit (clairvoyance and cancer cures) to even put the idea on the table-- which means the question has nothing to do with practically-applied morality.

Then again, maybe that's what the interviewee is supposed to recognize and respond with. The guy who immolated himself in the previous episode gave the opposite answer from Nora, so it seems like they want some third-way trick answer, a rejection of the question, or a particular way of thinking about the question that Nora and the other guy failed to demonstrate.

Or there is no machine, the question and rejection is there to gently caress with the people they've roped into believing the machine is possible, and all the disappearances are from people offing themselves rather than getting machine'd.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

According to this episode, everyone who had committed to entering the machine is now a missing person. If everyone was just killing themselves in their own way out of despair, they wouldn't be missing, they'd be on record as suicides.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Melburnians have really weird accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

According to this episode, everyone who had committed to entering the machine is now a missing person. If everyone was just killing themselves in their own way out of despair, they wouldn't be missing, they'd be on record as suicides.

Plus there is the issue of all the recorded statements.

• Locked thread