Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hopefully the thing they decide to let us spend Mission Funds on is "character cards levels". They can be dicks and only let you buy ranks for characters you've already gotten, but this whole thing of diluting the UR pool with UR characters (and it's not like there are only 1 or 2, there are almost as many UR classes as there are Rare) sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Yea I love my salop but the semi dormant powergamer in me really makes me want to play my Insurgent instead. I think the whole "IR characters/weapons are underwhelming as gently caress due to missing an entire maxed out skill tree" aspect really makes me not really give a poo poo about the vast majority of the UR poo poo I unlock when it should be a fun/rewarding experience. I play a decent bit but I won't be playing this game much in 3 months and if I need most UR weapons to be rank 10 before they are worth it that is a massive disappointment. Every time I unlock another rank of the Ushior it really takes the wind out of my sails.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If the Ushior did as much damage as the Isharay (or even as much as the Widow) it would be "usable". Right now it's a cruel joke because its DPS is probably lower than a Charger.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

So, they're testing combos over on reddit and apparently different people are reporting different base damage for their combos. I thought I'd give it a go, see if I'm a low baller or a high baller! It might explain why I've personally been finding biotic classes underwhelming.

Here's a shot of the results of two successful throw + energy drain combos.

Well that's weird, my damage looks lower than even the lowest of the testers on reddit.

Here's a shot of the damage just from throw and energy drain separately, after I mistimed a combo.

Okay. So my biotic combos don't do low damage... they don't do any loving damage.

:negative:

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 6, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Does the penetration mod work properly for anyone? I find I can shoot through thin walls, and basic mobs that are struck will do the 'stagger' animation.

Except they take zero damage, was it like that in ME3?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think it's bugged. In ME3 penetrating shots would do reduced damage (or not, you could stack 100% penetration IIRC). You could also use it to shoot multiple enemies.

You could even trick shot some bosses by penetrating through one weak spot into another.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Wow. Juggernaut shield has made gold into silver as far as my duelist is concerned.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

precision posted:

Hopefully the thing they decide to let us spend Mission Funds on is "character cards levels". They can be dicks and only let you buy ranks for characters you've already gotten, but this whole thing of diluting the UR pool with UR characters (and it's not like there are only 1 or 2, there are almost as many UR classes as there are Rare) sucks.
Would like to be able to buy boosters with mission funds. Like buying a set of 5 for 15points and mill my crap ones for mission funds.

Picked up the Remnant Assault Rifle and shotgun earlier from the same pack. Are they any good? I found the Shadow utterly underwhelming.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Oh jesus, from the reddit combo testing thread

quote:

General Explanation:

There are 3 classes of primer and 3 classes of detonator, which I call Light, Medium, and Heavy. These combine into 9 different combo damage values. Some of the combos are lower damage than others because they have extra effects or DOTs.
Explanation of the "damage pools" note:

Right now (patch 1.05) the host's single player difficulty setting determines the base combo damage for all players present. As an example, here are the biotic combo values:
Biotic Combo Damage Heavy Detonator Medium Detonator Light Detonator
Insanity 350 262.5 175
Hardcore 315 236.25 157.5
Normal 275 206.25 137.5

There is a to do list there, because while I'm pretty sure about the multipliers for shields and armor, I haven't tested them as extensively as I did against HP. If I find anything groundbreaking I'll update the whole caboodle, but for now I'm content with a note.

Hat tips to peddroelm, aryantes, capn233, huntedhunt, /u/TherionMEC and /u/SRKm00b for testing and providing data.

The only medium detonator right now is throw, and the only light detonator is shockwave. But you can give yourself a 27% buff to combo damage by setting your most recent SP save to insanity difficulty.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dilb posted:

The only medium detonator right now is throw, and the only light detonator is shockwave. But you can give yourself a 27% buff to combo damage by setting your most recent SP save to insanity difficulty.

How the gently caress do you break a game that badly :psyduck:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dilb posted:

No loving way. This has got to be some nerd going too deep into correlation = causation territory, right?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
According to that thread, its because the game uses the same datafile for both SP and MP, so it makes a certain amount of sense.

No idea how BW hosed up so bad to allow this to happen, but maybe there's some sort of SP/MP switch that isn't working?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
How the gently caress?... :psyboom:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Zakmonster posted:

According to that thread, its because the game uses the same datafile for both SP and MP, so it makes a certain amount of sense.

No idea how BW hosed up so bad to allow this to happen, but maybe there's some sort of SP/MP switch that isn't working?

If you want to poke around it, there's a bunch of people working on reverse engineering it here: https://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3971 with github for the file explorer (as well as a modloader and texture replacement tool) here: https://github.com/zeroKilo/MEAExplorerWV.

But long story short, all the sp and mp data is housed side by side, often times with the exact same names in different directories. There's like 10 different versions of "merangedweaponsuperbundle" that contain your squadmate singleplayer weapons, your single player weapons, the multiplayer weapons, & the deluxe DLC weapons. All it would take is linking to the right file in the wrong directory to do something like that. Which shouldn't happen in an AAA game, but here we are!

With any luck, eventually somebody is going to start writing custom multiplayer stuff for the mod loader linked above, and we should be able to make our own lobbies with our own ideas of how things should be balanced, down to combo radius & damage, weapon damage & bloom, wave spawn patterns, etc.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Relentless posted:

With any luck, eventually somebody is going to start writing custom multiplayer stuff for the mod loader linked above, and we should be able to make our own lobbies with our own ideas of how things should be balanced, down to combo radius & damage, weapon damage & bloom, wave spawn patterns, etc.

Please accelerate development of the endless fiend spawn mod.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Bioware realizes that if you buff the weapons, but also buff the enemies that you end up with a net zero change, right? They do realize why they're buffing the weapons, right?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

PureRok posted:

Bioware realizes that if you buff the weapons, but also buff the enemies that you end up with a net zero change, right? They do realize why they're buffing the weapons, right?
They said they're making Kett easier to kill, they're just buffing Outlaws.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Post your predictions on what they break with this patch here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MEA 1.06 Patch notes:

Combo damage now properly scales with difficulty level. Increased power recharge time to compensate.

Buffed overload damage. With all damage evolutions it will now properly strip shields from humanoid enemies on gold, and no longer needs to be charged to hit multiple enemies. It will now also arc to your teammates.

Increased sticky grenade damage by 500%. Sticky grenade now sticks to your hand. Get ready for the boom!

Fixed bug where assault turret would do no damage. Assault turret now speaks with the voice of SAM.

Krogans get their melee backhand attack back.

Removed Krogan headbutt.

Removed Krogans.

Increased Mattock damage by 50%. Replaced Mattock firing sound effect with a laugh track.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Guns shoot yourself instead of enemies like the Peebee trailer.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Dilb posted:

haha this is so great, one more reason to remember your A-B-H's (Always Be Hostings). I just hopped over to single player to change the difficulty to Insanity and the game crashed to desktop on me. They're trying to keep me from buffing my damage! :tinfoil: I also just noticed that my level 20 Apex teams are still gaining experience because the UI shows them as negative XP to the next level. This game is well-coded at all levels.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

PureRok posted:

This is the most precious post of the thread so far

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

tooterfish posted:

So, they're testing combos over on reddit and apparently different people are reporting different base damage for their combos. I thought I'd give it a go, see if I'm a low baller or a high baller! It might explain why I've personally been finding biotic classes underwhelming.

Well that's weird, my damage looks lower than even the lowest of the testers on reddit.

Here's a shot of the damage just from throw and energy drain separately, after I mistimed a combo.

Okay. So my biotic combos don't do low damage... they don't do any loving damage.

:negative:

Maybe because you don't have energy drain set to prime...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MarshyMcFly posted:

Maybe because you don't have energy drain set to prime...
It could be. I did initially try this without using a respec card.

I did occasionally still get them after I'd respecced the guy though, so that can't be the explanation for all of them. Other people have reported these too, it's not just me.

It's really hard to test because you get such a small window to detonate with throw.

edit: wait, set to prime? Throw is a primer even without the 5a evo, it's just quite hard to time the detonation (you need a fast travelling power, like ED). This test was for biotic combos, not tech ones. This is what happens when you don't read (and I don't read).

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 6, 2017

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

tooterfish posted:

It could be. I did initially try this without using a respec card.

I did occasionally still get them after I'd respecced the guy though, so that can't be the explanation for all of them. Other people have reported these too, it's not just me.

It's really hard to test because you get such a small window to detonate with throw.

edit: wait, set to prime? Throw is a primer even without the 5a evo, it's just quite hard to time the detonation (you need a fast travelling power, like ED). This test was for biotic combos, not tech ones. This is what happens when you don't read (and I don't read).

So you need the rank 5 perk called "extended drain." Without that you will only be able to detonate combos.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MarshyMcFly posted:

So you need the rank 5 perk called "extended drain." Without that you will only be able to detonate combos.
You're still not reading. This test was for biotics, extended drain gives a tech explosion.

Throw is the primer, energy drain is the detonator.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

tooterfish posted:

You're still not reading. This test was for biotics, extended drain gives a tech explosion.

Throw is the primer, energy drain is the detonator.

What are you talking about??? How did you make a biotic explosion on a sentinel?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MarshyMcFly posted:

What are you talking about??? How did you make a biotic explosion on a sentinel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v7lBHjcdj0&t=70s

Like that.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

You should have put that in your original post. Also you should slow down the video so it's easier to see what your testing.

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 6, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MarshyMcFly posted:

You should have put that in your original post.
I did.

tooterfish posted:

edit: oh, you you mean the video? I assumed everyone would know from the context I was testing the throw + ED combo, not ED + throw.

^^^it's not my video mate. gently caress me e:not called for, soz^^^

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 6, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wow, I've just learnt that Throw is a primer. I seriously had no idea.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Apparently weapon damage is also affected by the host's single player difficulty setting.

Because sure, why not.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

If you use the app to rename characters after characters in the game, you get double health, shields, and power damage. My uncle works for bioware.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

I did.

edit: oh, you you mean the video? I assumed everyone would know from the context I was testing the throw + ED combo, not ED + throw.

^^^it's not my video mate. gently caress me e:not called for, soz^^^

Throw doesn't prime anymore as of 1.05 even if you took duration. The only self-combo human sentinel can do is tech.

Nevermind, I was going off incorrect info it seems.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

chami posted:

Throw doesn't prime anymore as of 1.05 even if you took duration. The only self-combo human sentinel can do is tech.
Then my coffee must've been extra strong this morning, because I've been doing it all day.

And I just posted a video of someone else doing it.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Well great, now I don't know what to set the difficulty to in SP to host MP. Also, there is a combat log in this game?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What the christ, how rushed was this game belted out of the doorway. :psyduck:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

What the christ, how rushed was this game belted out of the doorway. :psyduck:

You mean the 2-ton brute that teleports around the map grabbing people is supposed to have footstep sounds?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

You mean the 2-ton brute that teleports around the map grabbing people is supposed to have footstep sounds?
My boss in my previous job was a big huge fat bastard of a bloke but he could sneak around to building (looking for food) like a champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

Post your predictions on what they break with this patch here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to overwhelming player demand, we are proud to announce the first mandatory DLC. Your game will no longer be able to play online at all unless you install the new Collector faction. All Collectors now spawn Seeker Swarms simply by existing.

• Locked thread