Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I doubt you can get a fair goonsensus here because the PSVR owners have a separate thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790293

I personally am very happy with my decision to go with PSVR. The exclusives are great, and Sony's support of that thing is pretty enthusiastic. With the 4.50 update the motion controller tracking is about the same as a one-camera Rift setup. Admittedly both of these camera-based solutions don't do room scale the way the Vive does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

SwissCM posted:

I think it's more that if they're flooding the USB bus with enough data already. Running the cameras at 2.0 speeds results in the stream being compressed, tracking quality does take a hit as result.

I never noticed degraded tracking in a 10f x 10f space when testing between having all 3 on USB3 vs one of the sensors on USB2. I haven't really come across anyone else having a noticeable tracking hit, either :shrug:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Rift is currently MUCH cheaper isnt it?

But the Vive is going to soon be out with a bunch more things to spend money on so if you have the cash and are looking forward to, say, a wireless headset you should go Vive. If cost is a major concern go Rift for sure.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Well, my current setup is 2 USB 3.0-connected sensors at opposing corners of a 11'x9' room, and I'm getting some subtle but nausea-inducing drift from that. So my hopes are that the third sensor will help rectify the problem, as will the new PC that won't be 6 years old with 1st generation USB3 controller. I'm fully prepared to spring for a 4th if need be, though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Well, my current setup is 2 USB 3.0-connected sensors at opposing corners of a 11'x9' room, and I'm getting some subtle but nausea-inducing drift from that. So my hopes are that the third sensor will help rectify the problem, as will the new PC that won't be 6 years old with 1st generation USB3 controller. I'm fully prepared to spring for a 4th if need be, though.

For a space that size you would hugely benefit from a 3rd sensor. They are also going to start being sold on amazon May 22 too, which is kinda nice. https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Sensor-Pc/dp/B0727WDPX6.

edit: Also, make sure to read up on which motherboard you get, even modern ones have skimped on their USB3 implementation. Oculus has been working with the manufacturers and stuff, but if you build your own pc, it's something to look into, just to make sure you don't get one that is known to have issues.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 4, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

I never noticed degraded tracking in a 10f x 10f space when testing between having all 3 on USB3 vs one of the sensors on USB2. I haven't really come across anyone else having a noticeable tracking hit, either :shrug:

Tracking degrades when using USB2. It's not necessarily something that would be easily noticeable, just more likely to glitch occasionally and have lower fidelity tracking when only the USB2 camera has a lock.

They don't recommend people connect more than 2 cameras to the USB 3 bus because as you mentioned, current implementations are kinda crappy. The silicon itself is at fault and a fix requires the purchase of new hardware, which is why they compromised.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

homeless snail posted:

If you have a good PC you are way better off getting either a Vive or a Rift, it essentially doesn't matter which, baseline they're pretty much identical. Rift is a bit cheaper at the moment, Vive's tracking is arguably better and the system is a little more flexible, people have minor preferences for one or the other so do some research but whatever you buy will be good.

This is great advice and the only thing I would add really is for me I went with the Rift because I got to spend time with both heasdsets before release and the Vive just felt more like a bigger DK2 to me whereas the Rift felt like a really well design piece of kit and felt better on my face. The differences are that small in reality between the two that this swung my decision. I'm still happy with my choice, but I strongly suspect if I never tried both and just got a Vive I'd still be over the moon.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I've got three sensors and it's perfect, really good

Poetic Justice posted:

edit: Also, make sure to read up on which motherboard you get, even modern ones have skimped on their USB3 implementation. Oculus has been working with the manufacturers and stuff, but if you build your own pc, it's something to look into, just to make sure you don't get one that is known to have issues.

I stuck a USB 3 card in my PC before I hooked it all up and it's worked well, cost like £10 or something!

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 5, 2017

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Poetic Justice posted:

For a space that size you would hugely benefit from a 3rd sensor. They are also going to start being sold on amazon May 22 too, which is kinda nice. https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Sensor-Pc/dp/B0727WDPX6.

Well, the motherboard I bought is currently sitting on my kitchen counter, so fingers crossed it's one that plays nice with the Rift. It's got "VR Ready" on the package, for what that's worth (nothing). MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon. If it winds up having issues, though, I've got my eye on this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZEA2S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3J74TPYJ7J8SV&coliid=I2YBAQVXSN75AZ&psc=1

peter gabriel posted:

This is great advice and the only thing I would add really is for me I went with the Rift because I got to spend time with both heasdsets before release and the Vive just felt more like a bigger DK2 to me whereas the Rift felt like a really well design piece of kit and felt better on my face. The differences are that small in reality between the two that this swung my decision. I'm still happy with my choice, but I strongly suspect if I never tried both and just got a Vive I'd still be over the moon.

Yeah, it was much the same for me. Between the CV1 and Touch, Oculus has got some great designers working for them. Although side question - apparently my nose is shaped in such a way that breathing through it inevitably fogs up the lenses. Any ideas on how to counter that, aside from just breathing through my mouth?

Glad to hear that 3 sensors is working for you, too. Gives me hope for my setup. :)

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I had the DK2 and was pumped for the Vive room scale. The price drop got me to get the rift though and the quality of the headset is just miles over what the dk2 was like. Took about two weeks for me to order a 3rd sensor and a USB card (mostly cause my USB 3.0 was on the front ports though).

The touch controllers are great though, really happy with the decision. Only concern is if I can't play my Oculus games later.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

peter gabriel posted:

Soundboxing is fun but it makes me feel old and out of touch, where's the Led Zeppelin at? :corsair:

Name your top three danceable Led Zeppelin songs. I'll see what I can do.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

8one6 posted:

Freebird

rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN

8one6 posted:

Bron-y-aur Stomp
Rock and Roll

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried Soundboxing for the first time and now my wife has a video of me "dancing" to Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend" on social media.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Tbh I play a lot of ska in audioshield. I put it on easy, dance like a fool, and love it.

So far I haven't liked soundboxing as much because I feel like it wants me to focus on beat and score instead of just faffing about to the music.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I found Audioshiled to really make having fun hard, since the movement are unnatural and offbeat. I want to match the beat but then it means I don't hit anything.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

D1E posted:

Well? So what was the verdict?

Soundboxing is terrific. This is like the only game that can motivate me to work up a sweat, and when I'm in the groove I genuinely dance between punches. Some of the harder beatmaps astound me though - I can't believe there are people coordinated enough to hit all the notes... Also, I'm 5'10" and some of them have me stretching like mad.

Dirt Rally is also great, but I guess I'm more sensitive to motion sickness than I ever thought, because high-speed driving while seated stationary eventually makes me queasy.

Bigscreen/Virtual Desktop are so close to being monitor replacements. Once the headsets get to like 8K resolution everyone will be using these in place of flatscreens.

Well the graphics of VR Kanojo are absolutely amazing. It's some of the best graphics I have ever seen in VR.

As someone noted, the game is a tad creepy, but at the same time it's also very entertaining. You're a tutor for this girl and she's as dumb as a sack of bricks. She asks you a question and you nod if the answer is correct or shake your head if the answer is wrong. After that there's usually some small talk and additional non sexual choices you can make in the game. Eventually she'll want to mess around. This is where the various sex acts come into play. You unlock progressively more hardcore sex acts based on your actions during each tutoring session. All of the sex acts are interactive and are a sort of a mini game.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 7, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Well, the motherboard I bought is currently sitting on my kitchen counter, so fingers crossed it's one that plays nice with the Rift. It's got "VR Ready" on the package, for what that's worth (nothing). MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon. If it winds up having issues, though, I've got my eye on this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZEA2S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3J74TPYJ7J8SV&coliid=I2YBAQVXSN75AZ&psc=1

Yeah, it was much the same for me. Between the CV1 and Touch, Oculus has got some great designers working for them. Although side question - apparently my nose is shaped in such a way that breathing through it inevitably fogs up the lenses. Any ideas on how to counter that, aside from just breathing through my mouth?

Glad to hear that 3 sensors is working for you, too. Gives me hope for my setup. :)

You are more than likely fine. If you have any issues, please mention them in this thread before you buy that $80 USB thing please :)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yeah. There's a $20 single controller card as well that is likely all you would need.

My Oculus worked great with two 3.0 and 1 2.0 sensor. I bought the one controller Inateck card for fun though and to have some more ports. Now they're all on 3.0. Seems to work the same as before.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

iceaim posted:

I'm a virtual school girl fucker

You're a drat weirdo.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 5, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Not to distract from Virtual Kiddy diddling but does anyone else have the issue in the Steam VR browser where you can't click on links?
Every time I'm able to open the browser and search for something on google, but it won't let me open any links to the actual pages it finds.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

8one6 posted:

does anyone else have the issue in the Steam VR browser where you can't click on links?

Yes. It's terribly incovienent. I also get ghost audio when a game opens a YouTube link in the browser (onward tutorial).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Snaxx posted:

Yes. It's terribly incovienent. I also get ghost audio when a game opens a YouTube link in the browser (onward tutorial).

This thing right here is amazing it's still a thing. I just wanted to play a tutorial not watch a YouTube video welp now I've got to blindly shut poo poo down to clear the ghost audio. :mad:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So, ugh, I think we all dodged a bullet with this guy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That is not what his boss meant by "be quiet for a while"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He doesn't have a boss. This is him unhinged.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My opinion of him went up ever so slightly.

Edit: He's got nice legs for a skinnyfat nerd.

Edit 2: judging from that girl's armpits she's doing a Quiet/Olga mashup.

Edit 3: Is that his racist girlfriend?

Edit 4: It is!

Edit 5: Now imagine both of them having sex in those costumes, which they've certainly done by now.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 5, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

8one6 posted:

Just some classics, like Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown and Black Dog and whatever I can give you in return I will :)

Edit: The Led Zep thing was sort of a gag but it would be cool!

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 5, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Homeboy's filling out that bikini top rather well...

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Hmm, for some reason this helps my opinion of him. Well played, you rich bastard.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Apparently an (ex?) Oculus developer commenting on the recent closure of Oculus Story Studio.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 6, 2017

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Just finished Conductor. Short and sweet, but I enjoyed it back to front. Probably my favorite VR adventure/puzzler thus far.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

ok so I 'figured out' soundboxing. Apparently what I was doing wrong was that my random choices of cool songs were just stupidly hard. I was repeatedly getting slaughtered in some cocaine and ritalin-fueled techno beatmap of the damned.

I loaded it up again and tried 'Happy.' It was at a fun pace to get used to the game, as opposed to what I was trying before.

I still like Audioshield better so far, if simply because it algorithms my library of ska and video game music, and includes built-in difficulty settings, plus access to music that isn't on youtube for whatever copyright reason. But I finally see what the hype is about.

Is there any way to sort songs by difficulty? Is there a guide for what the buttons ingame mean? I have zero clue what 0/39 means or why I click it to make it 0/40. Heart seems to favourite it though, I figured that poo poo out. Is there a forum where I can request someone to beatmap my lovely taste in music?

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 6, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Just some classics, like Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown and Black Dog and whatever I can give you in return I will :)

Edit: The Led Zep thing was sort of a gag but it would be cool!

I've got Whole Lotta Love and Black Dog done.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

It's really cool of you to do this for :pgabz:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This is amazing thank you!
I have a terrible day ahead of me clearing out my late Dad's house so I will use this later on as a mind clearer, this means a lot to me, thank you again :)

8one6
May 20, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

This is amazing thank you!
I have a terrible day ahead of me clearing out my late Dad's house so I will use this later on as a mind clearer, this means a lot to me, thank you again :)

Any time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Apparently an (ex?) Oculus developer commenting on the recent closure of Oculus Story Studio.

The spin was that they had always intended to wind down the studio once the market became "self sufficient", which is obvious bullshit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SwissCM posted:

Per is...temperamental. I was never sure exactly why he worked with us.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

So I did buy Audioshield and Holodance yesterday. Today is the first chance I got to play though, and I just finished a marathon in Audioshield. I haven't tried Holodance yet - maybe tomorrow.

I think Audioshield looks terrific. On max settings the orbs look fantastic, the stadiums are very cool, and I love the translucent shields, particle effects, and futuristic style. It's awesome that you can play anything, and on the hardest setting I think the music almost matches beats. I like the mechanic of different "attacking" orbs with single, multiple straight-on, and sweeping left-to-right or right-to-left multiples, and the combined shields to parry the occasional purple storm.

I have a Rift, and it played perfectly with Oculus Touch.

I wish the Soundboxing dev and the Audioshield dev would hook up and compare code and notes, because I think the fusion of both could be loving amazing.

I know this is probably old hat to everyone in this thread by now, but I just got my Rift maybe a month ago and all this stuff is new to me still. Recommended.

I also bought Wilson's Heart and Prey. drat it's a crazy good time to be a gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I mean, unless you're waiting for Star Citizen.

In which case :lol: