Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Playing on normal and I must suck, I've died a whole bunch so far to phantoms. Game does not gently caress around, it's pretty great. You really have to use everything at your disposal, at least early on, to survive. Glue gun them, wrench/pistol, great if you can bring a turret to the fight. But even all that might not be enough.

Early on in the trauma center there was one phantom that was on fire. I thought I was clever leading him up to the turret outside Morgan's office. He got up there and immediately toasted it in one shot and me shortly after.

Also loved how I was going to do the same lure strategy with another phantom, pulled him out of the trauma center, and as I ran up the steps, he loving teleported ahead of me to the next landing and cut me off. That was a great "oh poo poo" moment.

Glad I have subtitles on because the phantoms talk SS2 style - if I hadn't turned them on I wouldn't have realized they were speaking in English since it's so distorted

If I hadn't already known Mick Gordon did the music I would have eventually figured it out because there are a few moments in the soundtrack where it has sort of a Doom 2016 vibe but it's sort of restrained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

uber_stoat posted:

what are you supposed to do about weavers? those things kill me so quick I don't even know what they're doing to me.
The Q-Beam is extremely effective on them.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The flying fire bat things die in one hit to the nerf gun. :bisonyes:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bruteman posted:

Early on in the trauma center there was one phantom that was on fire. I thought I was clever leading him up to the turret outside Morgan's office. He got up there and immediately toasted it in one shot and me shortly after.

Same thing happened to my brother who used three turrets. I somehow managed with two, with only one disabled at the end of the fight (also luring him into the office hallway). Maybe because of how I laid them out? I tried to minimize their exposure from the entrance. I was ready to douse it with GLOO but it went down too quickly.

It was entering in a cautious state because it lost track of me (white dots only), maybe it was unprepared? Still figuring out the rules of the AI.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 6, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/ShawnElliott/status/860714616577544192

https://twitter.com/ShawnElliott/status/860709923755352064
https://twitter.com/ShawnElliott/status/860710225871069184
https://twitter.com/ShawnElliott/status/860710629384081411

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 6, 2017

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So anyone else get rid of their tracking chip?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ya know, it didn't occur to me watching the previews for this that it was the Bioshock and Dishonored devs. I love Bioshock and Dishonored, but am poor so I'll get this when I actually have money. I mean the opening title setpiece alone sold me on the game, and judging from the praise in here it's totally worth playing.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
All hail Glooey McGlooface.

A true god among men.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Does anyone else feel like the movement in this game is like... off. Like it feels like I don't move consistently forward but that I like slow down and speed up constantly during a short walk...

I'm an idiot I was encoding a video.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 6, 2017

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

I reloaded after I did it. had a bad feeling. good to see I'm correct. haha

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game is great, came in blind and am really happy with what i'm seeing so far about 3-4 hours in.

I wish the beginning sequence went on just a little bit longer before the jig was up. It was a great reveal as it is, don't get me wrong, but I feel like maybe one more day of a Groundhog Day type scenario playing out before letting you smash your way out would have made the impact greater?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
This game is really good about actually putting things in places I think I'm wasting my time reaching.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Not especially a spoiler since it's a fairly hard location to miss, but on the bridge, I found a way to go behind the Looking Glass screens. There was multiple levels of pipes back there, and I got up to what I think was the fourth level? I looked around but didn't find anything. Did I miss something?

I mean, maybe they just had it set up for worldbuilding, but I thought something might have been hidden up there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm enjoying the hell out of this game but I keep needing to take breaks because of the tension.

Upgrading my shotgun damage ASAP was a good move.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Can anyone, without being very specific, tell me how far into the game do I need to be to find a neuromod blueprint. Like I just want to know mostly if its something I will be forced to find or I have to be vigilant to look out for.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You are directly pointed to one over the course of the very early story -- more are found scattered throughout the environment.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Bogart posted:

You are directly pointed to one over the course of the very early story -- more are found scattered throughout the environment.

You may have missed my ninja edit, neurolomod plans .

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

You may have missed my ninja edit, neurolomod plans .

I wouldn't mind knowing this either.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I'm a subversive player that jumped into the rotor blades of the chopper in the intro, earning an achievement for it. :thumbsup:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Can anyone, without being very specific, tell me how far into the game do I need to be to find a neuromod blueprint. Like I just want to know mostly if its something I will be forced to find or I have to be vigilant to look out for.

You will have to look for it, I don't think the game sends you there. If you want to know what zone it's in, it's somewhere in the Neuromod department, the one you get out of at the start of the game.

I decided to go for it and killed January after he killed December so, uhh, let's see how this goes. If it comes down to me bumbling around the station without a clue what to do next, I'm all for it.

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

I'm a subversive player that jumped into the rotor blades of the chopper in the intro, earning an achievement for it. :thumbsup:

Aww dammit I did that in the demo and laughed super hard but I didn't do it in the full version. Next run, I guess.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 6, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

drat, really? I did as well, but after it had landed and didn't get anything. Guess you have to do it before it takes off, I'll get that one in the inevitable replay.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

Hi Shawn, the ending is extremely bad and I'm sad it ended like that, thanks

So it's a real Shock game then :v:

the true system shock was always the ending all along

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Uh, System Shock 2 had like the greatest ending of all time.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

hampig posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you prefer? Save-scumming is way more broken than games with integrated death and respawn mechanics, especially with any kind of resource scarcity at all.

Obviously save scumming isn't ideal either and perfect solutions to the problem of player death are hard to come by outside of roguelikes and such, but I found it hard to take Bioshock seriously after dying a few times while trying to make my way to a safe - which turned out to be full of health kits. When your ultimate resource is effectively unlimited, where's the tension?

When dealing with quicksaves, yeah sure, knowing that I can save before every fight and turn back time until I get an ideal outcome can cheapen things somewhat. But if I also hit that quicksave button every time I survive a fight that could have gone better the game really starts feeling like everything has consequences.

Four hours in and this game seems cool so far. All roads kind of lead to psychotronics, but I imagine the game will open up a bit after that.

Regarding the secret subversive path: It seemed a bit like January killed December when I went looking for the escape pod key. Gonna guess it's got to do with killing January before that happens, to prevent that? Whatever it is it's absolutely gonna be some Frampt/Kaathe poo poo because all game developers are always talking about Dark Souls. Just blink three times if I'm onto something, Shawn

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 6, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Knifegrab posted:

You need to look for it and follow rabbit holes, it's optional. I mean like find a detour in a detour in a detour kind of thing but it's not crazy missable if you explore carefully.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks guys. Also does anyone know what the (first hub mission)Scale is?

In Dr. Calvino's workshop he has some emails referring to a scale that sends a signal when it reads exactly 170 grams, and then asks another employee to make him a mug that weighs exactly 170 grams.

Nevermind again I am an impatient idiot.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 6, 2017

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks guys. Also does anyone know what the (first hub mission)Scale is?

In Dr. Calvino's workshop he has some emails referring to a scale that sends a signal when it reads exactly 170 grams, and then asks another employee to make him a mug that weighs exactly 170 grams.

You can see him use it at the end of the second Looking Glass test video in that same lab, he'll stand around for a bit before so you think the video stopped. His mug is on the other side of the room. It opens a safe.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

You can see him use it at the end of the second Looking Glass test video in that same lab, he'll stand around for a bit before so you think the video stopped. His mug is on the other side of the room. It opens a safe.

Yeah I just figured this out, right as I finished up the objective. Doh! Thanks!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah it became a really cathartic ending after Bioshock endings

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
It is A Bummer that nerf darts don't provoke mimics

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

"Nah"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Spending a lot of time creeping around behind desks and sofas listening to footsteps.

Just like old times in System Shock 2. Can't stop loving this game.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Palpek posted:

You need to look for it and follow rabbit holes, it's optional. I mean like find a detour in a detour in a detour kind of thing but it's not crazy missable if you explore carefully.
I got one from what I assume is pretty early on in the main plot in Dr.Kelstrup'safe in Psychotronics

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

explosivo posted:

I wish the beginning sequence went on just a little bit longer before the jig was up. It was a great reveal as it is, don't get me wrong, but I feel like maybe one more day of a Groundhog Day type scenario playing out before letting you smash your way out would have made the impact greater?

While playing the opening, I thought the visuals were not terribly amazing for a 2017 AAA game, and especially the helicopter ride felt pretty cheaply done... it was amusing and relieving to learn there was an in-universe reason for all that... those Talos folks may be good at fancy neuromods, but their 3d modelling looks to be done by the C team.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Re: Neuromod recipe

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's an easier way, in the first two areas.

Look around the Lobby zone for the keycode to the Neuromod zone's Volunteer Center (second floor, above the neuromod display). Use that to get into the pitch-dark Center, behind one of the desks is a maintenance hatch. Use Gloo to shimmy up the walls to a connective tunnel that will lead you to Fabrication. You'll find some Recycling grenades. You'll also be able to get the drop on a very large, slow and nasty monster.

You can try to stealth around it or make some accurate throws with the Recycle grenades to kill it. Around there should be a keycard for the head engineer's office, which is up on the floor from where you got the jump on the evil hover tank thing. Go back around through the maintenance tunnels again and you'll get into the head engineer's office, where you'll find the neuromod schematic and a scene with ominous implications.

It goes without saying that if you want to do a true power game run, you'll want to invest in Necropsy and loot as many mimic carcasses as you can find.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Got to the Crew Quarters, realized my loot bag was full, hoofed back to the Arboreum entrance (loved that SS2 elevator homage, seen also in Dead Space). So routine that I wasn't even looking at the screen when I confirmed re-entry into Quarters. Somebody was sure looking at me, though.

That dude is definitely one way of keeping you on your toes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm finding Metal to be my main resource limitation. Possibly because I keep using it for shotgun shells though?

Nation of Thizzlam
Sep 9, 2010

Tear off the chains and the entire world will be free

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm finding Metal to be my main resource limitation. Possibly because I keep using it for shotgun shells though?

I pretty much have only been crafting shotgun shells too and metal was a bit of a problem for a while, but since I got recyclers it's become less of an issue. You can just pile up Operator corpses and drag pretty much anything metal like crates, chairs, etc into a nice little mound and throw a recycler right next to it for a ton of metal. Throwing any excess weapons you find laying around in helps too. Also, it's not a lot, but if you recycle the canned drinks you get a little metal out of them.

Nation of Thizzlam fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 6, 2017

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Recycling grenades are your friend here, they recycle turrets into large amounts of metal and slightly less amounts of synthetics. Gather two or three next to each other for maximum efficiency. Dead Operator frames also work in a pinch, just don't stack too many or they won't all get recycled (they can block each other).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So some major spoilers regarding the December plot

I went to alex's office and I had level 4 hacking and lifting by this point so I got everything there. Found his private escape pod which needed the ep101 key. This was in his private quarters the crew quarters. I then went back to the Escape Pod and January didn't like I was abandoning the station. But I jettisoned the escape pod and got some kind of looking glass error or something, an achievement, and alex saying something about me being a failure / not the one. Then I got a non standard game over and a loading screen.