Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

so reading up on what the on sites are like for apple, would it be worth it to sink some time into one of those coding challenge sites and reviewing the basic algorithm and data structure runtimes and such?

what's a good site to do interview type coding problems?

first, you need to take a deep breath and not panic about this.

second, reviewing algorithms is always good. read this:
http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/03/get-that-job-at-google.html
Now look up on Wikipedia every one of the algorithms mentioned there that you don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mishaq posted:

im flying for 14 hours straight one way in economy next month :smithicide:

I have done this a couple times. I try to keep flights to 10 hours so I can get a shower at a lounge and feel like a human being again, but some places are just impossible to get to without those 12-14 hr flights.

the worst was Turkish air where our air conditioning was hosed up and it was super hot in our part of the plane for 10 hours on the way from Houston to Istanbul.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i never get the legroom complaints in buses or airplanes. i think you hold yourselves wrong

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
have you ever been on a 10+ hour flight or are you like 5ft?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

have you ever been on a 10+ hour flight or are you like 5ft?

im 6'5". haven't flown further than london to east coast in a single continuous flight, but ive been on 18 hour long uninterrupted bus rides

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
all flights longer than like two hours feel the same to me. longest I've done recently was 11 hours, past a certain point it just becomes A Long Time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just had a shared document coding interview over google docs, typing into the word processor. it auto-capitalized my code, tried to correct my spelling, and obviously doesn't do things like maintaining indents or syntax highlights. my code went okay but writing it was a loving disaster.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

Now look up on Wikipedia every one of the algorithms mentioned there that you don't remember.

ok i will do this. i just get nervous because when the pressure is on i tend to massively overthink problems and overengineer stuff. and i have like 0 math background so if they start asking statistics and discrete math questions i'm effed. also impostor syndrome. upjumped epic tech commer to senior engineer at apple is a huuuuuge jump.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cis autodrag posted:

ok i will do this. i just get nervous because when the pressure is on i tend to massively overthink problems and overengineer stuff. and i have like 0 math background so if they start asking statistics and discrete math questions i'm effed. also impostor syndrome. upjumped epic tech commer to senior engineer at apple is a huuuuuge jump.

State your assumptions before you begin answering a question :)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

I just had a shared document coding interview over google docs, typing into the word processor. it auto-capitalized my code, tried to correct my spelling, and obviously doesn't do things like maintaining indents or syntax highlights. my code went okay but writing it was a loving disaster.

was it google? for me it was luckily just a coding screen and I got a good chuckle out of a bad dog food joke

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Foo posted:

State your assumptions before you begin answering a question :)

yes, this is a habit i picked up in my algorithms class because the teacher was a ph.d who studies NP-Complete problems and he would constantly talk beyond everyone's level. i'd always begin by writing a list of assumptions and constraints, trying to draw a visualization of the problem, and then checking if we were on the same page before i started solving.

i still only had like a 50% success rate. poo poo like network flow and dynamic programming is hard to the point that he didn't even bother to teach implementation, just writing the plain english algorithms and proofs.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

i spoke w/ the ciso for an org that is doing the same "digital transformation" that every other enterprise is doing. i was referred to the role from a former employee of mine, and the recruiter was telling me how excited the ciso was to get someone into the role who really knows iam, speaks at conferences, participates in standards bodies, etc. seems like it would be a reasonable next step.

turns out she wants someone to put out a compliance fire fast (that's fine), but that's it. no thoughts on how to use customer identity to drive business, improving the enrollment, authn/authz touchpoints for staff and customers, etc. and as for setting the vision of iam in the enterprise she wants the director of iam to build and execute a 3 year roadmap that gets them current- but she already has years 1 and 2 outlined for me.

doing extra curricular work in the industry is "serving two masters" and if i want to keep relevant in the field then "this role may not be for you if you want to do great things, we just want someone to get us moving"

like, jeez, of course a the "getting things fixed" is a necessary step on the way to future identity poo poo.

ffs. don't seek out "people with vision and passion" and then say you just want a company drone who will stand up the same iam system he deployed in his previous role based on... because people who set "the vision" and execute all love taking lateral positions to do the same thing over and over again anyway.

what a waste of time.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

also, they would want me to relocate to atlanta :lol:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

TerminalRaptor posted:

One of the more interesting things I've learned in the past few years is the larger international flight planes actually have sleeping bunks for the flight attendants. I didn't think there was enough room on a plane for such a thing.

they're jammed in above the fore galley/lavs usually, where there's space that's being used for overhead bins in the rest of the fuselage

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Turnquiet posted:

also, they would want me to relocate to atlanta :lol:

lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they're jammed in above the fore galley/lavs usually, where there's space that's being used for overhead bins in the rest of the fuselage

on some of the newer wide bodies there's space in the crown above the bins or under the cockpit

iirc boeing pitched selling tickets for long haul flights to customers up there in the 787 but no airliners went for it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

on some of the newer wide bodies there's space in the crown above the bins or under the cockpit

iirc boeing pitched selling tickets for long haul flights to customers up there in the 787 but no airliners went for it

eitithad used the space above he cockpit in the a380 for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLZ2iDLPcxw

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
someone explain the logic behind having a candidate run through some multi-hour code test then ask them to do something incredibly simple like walk a tree in a phone call.

how could I have gotten to the call without being able to write all 6 lines of code if I couldn't write the several hundred needed to get to that point?

:iiam:

e: wait they didn't even bother to read through the code test did they?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
it's (ostensibly) to make sure you didn't get someone else to take the test for you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive seen that before with remote testing. when you do better than anticipated, an in person check follows

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

The Management posted:

thanks for the reminder about that post. I feel like the algorithms/data structures don't get much practice in my everyday world of mostly sql and web dev, which has definitely hurt in some recent interviews.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

raminasi posted:

it's (ostensibly) to make sure you didn't get someone else to take the test for you

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ive seen that before with remote testing. when you do better than anticipated, an in person check follows

maybe that's why they wanted me to open my webcam but :lol: at having a functional webcam.

e:
also their code test had a "what's wrong with this code" section where the answer was effectively, "if this won't build for you I'm not sure I want to work in C++98 for what I think you're paying"

leper khan fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 6, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

leper khan posted:

maybe that's why they wanted me to open my webcam but :lol: at having a functional webcam.

everyone has a functional webcam

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not on a machine I have a code editor

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

leper khan posted:

not on a machine I have a code editor
do you not have a laptop? :psyduck:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

do you not have a laptop? :psyduck:

the web cam is broken and it's not worth getting a new laptop over :v:

Iverron
May 13, 2012

but what if they cheat!?!

for fucks sake just have people talk about the code they write

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i don't have a web cam

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Iverron posted:

I've never understood this. what benefit is derived from having someone interview for you?

certainly not employment; and certainly not for any length of time that would make up for costs of moving.

if there's effectively no benefit, I would expect the number of people doing so to be vanishingly small.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

i don't have a web cam

:hf:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Iverron posted:

yep, this. everyone I've ever had on a call that was cheating could not talk about their code at all. same is true for people that seemed to have a memorized answer to an interview question. it's pretty obvious.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

leper khan posted:

I've never understood this. what benefit is derived from having someone interview for you?

certainly not employment; and certainly not for any length of time that would make up for costs of moving.

if there's effectively no benefit, I would expect the number of people doing so to be vanishingly small.

there are people out there that are terrible at their jobs. these people still need to get paid to live. they try to get jobs mostly at big companies where they can get away with not being productive or useful for long enough. if the management is inattentive they can stay there forever, creating work for themselves by writing bad code and then trying to fix it. but sometimes they need to change jobs. they view the interview as a hurdle to be passed, not as a bar that their skills must meet, so cheating is justified in their minds.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i work remote and nobody ever uses the webcam, we just use our microphones during meetings
is this typical?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

rt4 posted:

i work remote and nobody ever uses the webcam, we just use our microphones during meetings
is this typical?

it's been 50/50 for my remote interviews so far

tbh I raise eyebrows at what a company insisting on video chat is really looking for, even subconsciously

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had a recruiter tell me her company policy was that they had to see you over video chat before placing you and she didn't understand why I was confused, I mean there's no legitimate reason to do that [and a bunch of illegal ones]

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we have a strict no fatties policy

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

rt4 posted:

is this typical?

we use video for like 2 or 3 people discussions, everything else is audio only p much

my first remote job I got without anyone having ever seen my face until i showed up for in person onboarding

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

qirex posted:

I had a recruiter tell me her company policy was that they had to see you over video chat before placing you and she didn't understand why I was confused, I mean there's no legitimate reason to do that [and a bunch of illegal ones]

probably to make sure you're not a complete slob and or a punk and or a fat

also subconscious racism obviously

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rt4 posted:

is this typical?

we use cameras for our weekly meeting and I usually bring a cat or two in on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

leper khan posted:

my manager actually explained this to me once. apparently it's surprisingly common, especially for contract positions. the end goal is to bullshit your way through a few months while learning at least a little bit on the job, then later be able to put down that you have "experience" when applying for your next job. apparently he's had a couple people outright confess to it when they try a webcam interview.

• Locked thread