Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am allowing myself one "wildcard" mod, yes. Although right now it's filled by Botania, just because I feel like it's one of those mods you just put in your pack for reasons I can't explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
If you just want quests and aren't fixated on HQM, there are a number of Better Questing Options. I like ATM Illumination, although it's missing a lot of the usual suspects. That's a good thing depending on who you ask, though!

It's also one of the few 1.10 packs that comes with Realistic Terrain Generation out of the box, which is awesome to see in action if you've never used it before.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
If you're looking for a 1.10.2 quest pack craft of the titans is pretty good. the quest book is very thorough and thinks of everything. If you follow the book it walks you through a lot of the big mods. I put up a server for it here

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

frenzy posted:

If you're looking for a 1.10.2 quest pack craft of the titans is pretty good. the quest book is very thorough and thinks of everything. If you follow the book it walks you through a lot of the big mods. I put up a server for it here

Disclaimer on this pack it can get pretty brutal until you get set up unless you get super lucky on some earlier loot bags and even then recently I went exploring found a green stone ruin and got wrecked at the bottom by Mutant Steves and Fire Elementals that had spawners down there.

Edit: that being said the pack is a lot of fun the difficulty is what keeps bringing me back to it.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

My introduction to the pack was getting killed by a wild dog before I could barely react in the first five minutes of play. You'd better be wiiiiiiide awake to play it.

And god help you if you try to mess with cows for food early on.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

My introduction to the pack was getting killed by a wild dog before I could barely react in the first five minutes of play. You'd better be wiiiiiiide awake to play it.

And god help you if you try to mess with cows for food early on.

My record was Wild Dog killing me as I was loading the world for the first time basically logged in dead. Also yeah don't mess with cows the quests will get you plenty of food although the most recent version of the pack removed a couple heart containers out of the early game.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I was looking for a let's play of this pack to get my bearings a bit better, but they're just as out of their league as I am. These videos are good laughs, at least!

The quest rewards don't suck. It's nice.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

frenzy posted:

I'm trying to install this through the twitch app, how do you change the memory settings with twitch app?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

The gear in the lower left of the launcher if you just want to do it globally. Go to the Minecraft-specific settings.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm trying to install this through the twitch app, how do you change the memory settings with twitch app?

There are two ways. I use #1 for most (e.g. NST Frostburn Unofficial and NST Exploration Unofficial both use my system setting of 3G, even with the Soartex Fanver Modded), with #2 on rare occasions (e.g. Grimdark wants 6G with the Soartex Fanver Modded resource pack... :'( ).

1. Globally for all Minecraft
Click on the gear in the bottom-left of the Twitch/Curse application, then select the "Minecraft" row and change your global Minecraft settings, including how much memory to use (-Xmx is set with this, but -Xms is always 256M by default in Twitch/Curse, if you care). All modpacks installed with the Twitch/Curse client use this value by default, so if you have a value that works for nearly every modpack without issue (e.g. not too little, not too much), then set this hear and go have fun.

2. Per Installed Modpack
Go to your Minecraft tab (the Minecraft icon on the left of the Twitch/Curse application) and open (not "Play") the modpack. In the top-right you will have an ellipses "...", click this and select "Profile Options", then unselect "Use System Setting" (the Global setting from #1 above) and set your custom memory for this modpack only.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Okay, I'm officially in love with COTT. You've gotta have a lot of patience with it to get past the difficulty and probably be willing to suffer through a few restarts, but the reward structure is absolutely ace and makes every little step you make forward feel like an accomplishment. It's more Dark Soulsy than I ever would've expected Minecraft to get, and you can tell they've put a lot of work into customizing the progression and the in game documentation, too. This is how you use a quest system right, both to teach how stuff works and to deliver meaningful rewards for overcoming a major obstacle. I'm gonna be playing this one for awhile.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was getting a bit bored with Project Ozone 2, so I decided to try out the Craft of the Titans pack everyone is raving about. I have had quite an experience! The first world I created I was killed by a wild dog before I even spawned:

I did not understand how the gravestones in this mod work, I could not break them like Project Ozone 2, so I had to make a new world. My second attempt I was immediately struck by lighting! I turned around to find this chap after me, a "Rare Draining Bear of Raiden". It chased me until i was able to dig a hole and hide, but when I came out I was killed yet again when I tried to hunt a chicken:

My third world looked promising, I saw a few friendly dwarfs. But as soon as I began harvesting wood a swarm of Slime attacked me! I once again hid in a wall. I was able to kill the slime and escape with one heart, only to be killed by some mystery archer when I returned to the trees:

I tried a fourth world, and I think the game was loving with me at this point. I spawned on top of a floating slime island, with no way down. I was able to take in the sights for only a few moments before slimes attacked me a pushed me to my doom. I was taking a screenshot of the area when I was pushed off, so I was able to take a pic as I was falling to my death!

I have now made a 5th world and managed to collect enough wood to fulfill the first quest and dig a hole to safety. I can finally start! 10/10 best pack.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 5, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

After loving around trying to get a canola generator system online and it barely giving my power, I just made a 3x3x3 Big Reactors reactor and its so much better. I only have to get it turned on like once every couple of hours to store enough energy to power my base.

My problem with the canola is that for some reason an enderio farming station with 3/4 canola wasn't even enough to power itself.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Once you survive long enough to get your first set of armor, COTT immediately gets a lot more manageable. I feel like they should just add that to your starting equipment instead of making you quest for it to make the initial spawn less of a dice roll. It already spawns you with an iron sword.

Also, the pack has a veinminer mod, but I can't get it to work in the current version for whatever reason. I ended up removing Ore Excavator and replacing it with regular Veinminer.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I did not understand how the gravestones in this mod work, I could not break them like Project Ozone 2, so I had to make a new world.

IIRC you just press shift while standing on/next to a gravestone to loot it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Oh, hey, Craft of the Titans uses Tomb Many Graves! My preferred grave mod that I don't recall seeing in a major modpack before. Yeah, to recover your stuff, just sneak while standing on top of it. It automatically tries to put your stuff back where it was before, too, with the exception of armor. Since it can't be dug up, other players can't loot it (depending on config) which can be good if it's not a friendly server. You can also right-click it to allow others access to the grave, if you want.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

After loving around trying to get a canola generator system online and it barely giving my power, I just made a 3x3x3 Big Reactors reactor and its so much better. I only have to get it turned on like once every couple of hours to store enough energy to power my base.

My problem with the canola is that for some reason an enderio farming station with 3/4 canola wasn't even enough to power itself.

Ender IO farming stations are really, really power hungry. Use Actually Addition's farmer, and make a bunch of greenhouse glass. They're much lower power use.

Also, crystallize or empower your oil for more bang for your buck.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I've already gotten a small reactor setup that will generate 2k rf/tick and uses barely any fuel always. No poin worrying about canola now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, Big Reactors is a great mod. I just got a BR reactor on my Infinity Evolved Skyblock map, and man is it outclassing everything.

I tried a BR reactor in 1.10, but the recipes were all stupid, with an intermediate crafting step to absorb more resources. Also, with no MFR, you can't do the two rednet port trick to dynamically insert the fuel rods proportionate to the percentage of power buffer filled, which is super useful and easy to do. You can do something similar with vanilla redstone, but it's clunkier.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Was it in Beyond? The 1.10 recipes when I tried it still made it so far outclass every other power source for the resource investment they felt like a complete waste of time. I had more fuel than I knew what to do with even with no automatic mining and without properly automating it to shut down when my storage got near full.

The fuel consumption seems to be a flat scale with the steam/power draw. All I did was hook it up to an Ender IO power monitor that watched my capacitor bank eventually. It sustained my base all the way into the endgame even with a pint-sized turbine. I didn't get rid of it till endgame when I got my Draconic Reactor.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 5, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

It was the Disasterpiece Theatre pack, which iirc is basically the direwolf20 pack. There were comparators involved with the intermediate crafting recipe.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
At least with Project Ozone 2 if you want to do anything with RFTools dimensions you're going to need huge power. ~1.9 million RF/tick for a dimension I just hit Generate on is nothing to scoff at, especially when my single turbine is only pushing out ~750k RF/t. But you're going to be playing with it mostly for the sake of playing with it; the quest chain isn't particularly long and I haven't found any other power sinks to justify going completely crazy on reactors.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Did you actually get a dimension that didn't have unplayable amounts of lag at that complexity? I couldn't get anywhere near that.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It was the Disasterpiece Theatre pack, which iirc is basically the direwolf20 pack. There were comparators involved with the intermediate crafting recipe.

I didnt see any comparator stuff in the reactor I just made in direwolf20, so I feel like they changed some stuff around.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Is there a good resource (video, LP, whatever) of setting up an automatic smelting system using Ender IO machines and TD ducts?

I want to ideally have a chest that I dump everything into, and have everything get shuffled off to SAG Mills and Alloy Smelters and stuff, then all the products into their respective drawers. I'm just having some trouble getting a few of the things together - having Nether ores get smelted first and then go back to the mill, having cobble, sand, etc. get pulled out of machines and sent straight to their drawers without getting cooked any more, and trying to get around overflow with the ducts drawing everything out of their chest even when it can't get milled. It's just trying to account for all those systems that's melting my brain a bit.

edit: vvv thanks, I'll give that a go.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 5, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

use EnderIO item conduits, they are smart

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Agrarian Skies 2 must have some sort of mob spawn control, as I got some passive mobs to spawn on grass despite being in an Ocean biome.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

Also, the pack has a veinminer mod, but I can't get it to work in the current version for whatever reason. I ended up removing Ore Excavator and replacing it with regular Veinminer.

Just FYI for anyone else playing the pack it's hotkeyed to Shift. I found this out trying to dig out an underground base and wrecked my ladder.

Also if you create a world and spawn on a little island with no oak trees on it just scrap the world and try again. The water is unforgiving and even on a boat Piranhas and Aqua Creepers will wreck you.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Also if you create a world and spawn on a little island with no oak trees on it just scrap the world and try again. The water is unforgiving and even on a boat Piranhas and Aqua Creepers will wreck you.

I gave the pack a try last night and my second world (first one was the expected first-time disaster) was one of those little isolated islands. With some trees, fortunately, and it was easy to light up the whole island, but yeah, you still gotta watch out for those piranhas and aqua creepers constantly nipping at the edges. One unexpected advantage of that was that exploring underground was almost completely monster-free (all the critters in the water must be bumping up against the spawn cap already), and there was a huge underground cavern with a lava lake and lots of exposed resources. I'm guessing I'm going to have to depend on the Nether to get off this place, and I fully expect it to be full of 'fun'.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Halibut Barn posted:

I gave the pack a try last night and my second world (first one was the expected first-time disaster) was one of those little isolated islands. With some trees, fortunately, and it was easy to light up the whole island, but yeah, you still gotta watch out for those piranhas and aqua creepers constantly nipping at the edges. One unexpected advantage of that was that exploring underground was almost completely monster-free (all the critters in the water must be bumping up against the spawn cap already), and there was a huge underground cavern with a lava lake and lots of exposed resources. I'm guessing I'm going to have to depend on the Nether to get off this place, and I fully expect it to be full of 'fun'.

The Nether is a nightmare because the modpack has Ad Inferos in it.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

In my project ozone 2 world, I just discovered that mekanism power cables are super bugged. One cable + an ender IO capacitor bank = infinite power, as long as the cable is connected to a side configured to 'none'. It also appears that the mekanism power cable on the power tap was responsible for my tiny (2x2x1, inserted one ingot) bigreactor filling instantly, and not some absurd power multiplier.
Guess its time to make the stuff for redstone fluxducts again.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Biomes high enough to get snow are also pretty much an instant "YOU LOSE" spawn location. Sirens have more HP than the dogs, are a lot more prone to spawning in packs, and have a ranged attack.

If the dumb early game shenanigans are too much for you, just take out Animalium. That's the mod that Wild Dogs, Piranhas, and Bears come from. There are still tons of dangerous overworld enemies without it, but they're a bit less common. I got pretty close to that point myself.

Less drastically, just go into the config and disable the stupid dogs. I can tolerate the others. Bears are dangerous, but they're a bit less doggedly stubborn at pursuit when you run the hell away.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 5, 2017

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Another early game lesson I'm picking up - when you use the starter house, you can pick from multiple house "styles." Stick to the non wooden ones. If you don't have to worry about fire elementals burning your house down, you can continue getting things done at nighttime for the first few nights, which eases a lot of the pressure from the ticking clock.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Toadsmash posted:

doggedly stubborn

lol

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I Tried craft of titans, but it runs like a dog for some reason.

Is there anything i can turn off that might give me more than 1 frame a second (if i was even getting that)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

I Tried craft of titans, but it runs like a dog for some reason.

Is there anything i can turn off that might give me more than 1 frame a second (if i was even getting that)

Turn off mipmaps.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Turn off mipmaps.

ok what the hell is mipmaps and why was it making the game unplayable? (its good with it off)

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Meskhenet posted:

ok what the hell is mipmaps and why was it making the game unplayable? (its good with it off)
Mipmaps means using lower resolution versions of the same texture for textures that are further away, which adds to modded Minecraft's already hefty VRAM needs due to Minecraft having to keep all textures in memory.

It doesn't happen on 1.7 and older because the setting wasn't functional on modded Minecraft before.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Do I have to cheat myself in a questbook for craft of the titans? I'm not seeing a way to get it and I did not start with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
It's bound to ~