Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

Try it and report back?

I'm legit terrified I'm going to fry the thing if I do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

Which direction?
Apple can neither afford their OS being optional with their hardware, or their hardware being optional with their OS. Their entire USP is the marriage of the two any any big moves towards being just another PC will have those same people who decried the PPC->Intel move deciding the Mac isn't special anymore.
Apple can't even make external I/O that isn't as proprietary as they can get away with, the chance of you being able to buy PC components and use them is slim IMO.
I'd expect any GPU to be "apple certified" and have a special chip soldered on them which needs to be present to work on the Mac.

If Apple bring out a "modular Mac" I expect there to be some claim its workings are magic and it needs specific, Apple branded or resold, components.

Well the fabled xMac, essentially. I actually don't mind the custom firmware graphics cards and whatnot, I just want a Mac that I can service myself. I've got a 980Ti running in my 4,1 and it's be the perfect Mac if it was running a high end i7 or Xeon.

It's a pretty simple formula in my head - pros and power users will shell out £4-10K if they have the safety of knowing the machine will last nearly 10 years, during which they can upgrade parts and keep the machine relatively quick. Being that it's a small (minuscule) proportion of Apple's revenues with a fat profit margin, it seems silly not to give their customers what they want.

But then, Apple don't operate on what's in my head (nor should they). I just wish it was as simple as making a machine that allows the maximum amount of customisability in order to cater for a very fragmented and small number of customer needs. That's basically what the cheese grater was - need a beefy GPU? Done. CPU grunt more your bag? No problem. Lots of disk access? Here's a RAID card. The current Mac Pro compromises on all fronts.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm legit terrified I'm going to fry the thing if I do this.

Doesn't work. Oh well

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wdarkk posted:

That would be my guess. I'm assuming there's enough room for a full-size GPU and a second, smaller card.
The new Mac Pro with up to two GPUs!*

*short cards only

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Arivia posted:

I have $3500 CAD waiting for you, Apple. Please upgrade the iMac at WWDC or I'm jumping ship and I don't want to.

IIRC their candid "we done hosed up the Mac Pro" session with journalists all but promised an iMac refresh with pro-ish options this year, but the time frame is in the fall. You may be out of luck if you must have it no later than WWDC.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BobHoward posted:

IIRC their candid "we done hosed up the Mac Pro" session with journalists all but promised an iMac refresh with pro-ish options this year, but the time frame is in the fall. You may be out of luck if you must have it no later than WWDC.

Yeah, I'm hoping. My MBP isn't totally done for, but it is long in the tooth and I can feel the money burning a hole in my pocket.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BobHoward posted:

iMac refresh with pro-ish options
What would pro-ish options on an iMac be? Are you just talking better BTO options, Thunderbolt 3, what?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
High‐end GPU would be a start.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What would pro-ish options on an iMac be? Are you just talking better BTO options, Thunderbolt 3, what?

leaked specs for Apple's upcoming upgrades. According to Tuesday's report, the high end iMac will feature Intel's as-yet-unreleased Xeon E3-1285 v6 processor, options for 16 to 64GB error-correcting ECC RAM, up to 2TB NVM Express PCI-e solid-state storage, and more ambiguously, a "latest discrete graphics card".

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Platystemon posted:

High‐end GPU would be a start.

Probably not going to happen, though. The most likely path for the iMac to "go pro" is roughly 'swap in a socket 11xx xeon instead of a socket 11xx i7, use ECC RAM, and allow more of it'. Basically, stuff you can do in the current chassis without significant redesign.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
How are people liking life with the touch bar? Or, rather, without a physical escape key?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ehnus posted:

How are people liking life with the touch bar? Or, rather, without a physical escape key?

It's fine?

The touch bar escape key works just like you expect an escape key to.

I do find my self using it more and more in TouchBar sensitive apps like PDFExpert or MS Office apps.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ehnus posted:

I've been living with the touchbar for a few weeks, and I think it's a dumb gimmick. I'd rather have a proper row of physical keys like previous MacBooks have had. But that said, it's not THAT big a deal once you get used to it. The escape key is still exactly where you expect it to be, even if there's no tactile feedback from it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ehnus posted:

I'd rather have the buttons back, but it's not too annoying. I just don't find it very useful either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

I've been living with the touchbar for a few weeks, and I think it's a dumb gimmick. I'd rather have a proper row of physical keys like previous MacBooks have had. But that said, it's not THAT big a deal once you get used to it. The escape key is still exactly where you expect it to be, even if there's no tactile feedback from it.

Yeah, it did take me a while to even start really paying attention to it. When I bought it, I more or less had the same opinion as you but since I needed (wanted really) the i7 I just figured I'd have to live with it. But I'm using it more and more here and there. I've found some developers have been pretty clever about choosing what options to present in some apps. It's not quite a natural thing use-wise for me yet, but I can see it getting there.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
I like the touch bar, but I've assigned escape to caps lock (which I always just disabled previously).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only thing I like about the touchbar is having a slider for volume and brightness.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

In my perfect dream world (which we're each describing it seems) I'd have a 15 incher with physical keys and some dumb dual core intel chip and no gpu.

eames
May 9, 2009

I think there's a really good chance they'll offer a 15" rMBP with physical keys within 1-2 refreshes. That would allow them to drop the entry price a bit while saving face and perhaps they'll adjust the BTO options so the touchbar is free for the top end machines. I'd still buy the top spec 15" with the escape key.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Matt Zerella posted:

Can I plug my multi port USB C adapter into the 29watt USB c plug and use the USB port to charge my phone? Kind of in a pinch where I forgot my drat regular USB plug.

Welp, in your woeful shame, you didn't tell us exactly which USB-C adapter, hub, etc. you had..

In the absence of such info, you need to get a USB-C hub that has USB-C power pass-through. Here's a few:

https://www.amazon.com/TROND-D2C-Passthrough-Charging-Delivery/dp/B01CQZBI7U/
https://www.amazon.com/Juiced-BizHUB-Multiport-Ethernet-Delivery/dp/B01JD9GN6I/
https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Aluminum-Thunderbolt-Pass-Through-Charging/dp/B06XRVX3XM/
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-SuperSpeed-Aluminum-Pass-Through-Chromebook/dp/B01D401PYW

Be advised that most of these will work fine for a MacBook but for a rMBP 13-15" they will charge those machines but at a slower rate than if you hooked up the charger directly to a port, as the hub itself draws power to feed to the many ports in the hubs.

Also, each hub has quirks of its own, some only support 4K @ 30Hz instead of 60, some will not even reliably power a loving flash drive without an AC adapter attached, some will only let you use two powered USB drives to transfer data... USB 3.0/3.1 is still a misbegotten mess.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 6, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eames posted:

I think there's a really good chance they'll offer a 15" rMBP with physical keys within 1-2 refreshes. That would allow them to drop the entry price a bit while saving face and perhaps they'll adjust the BTO options so the touchbar is free for the top end machines. I'd still buy the top spec 15" with the escape key.

As long as the 15" no-touch bar isn't a watered down model like the 13

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Bob Morales posted:

As long as the 15" no-touch bar isn't a watered down model like the 13

i would argue that the internal engineering of the no touchbar 13" is superior actually

eames
May 9, 2009

If watered down means it has a removable SSD then I'm fine with that

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, but gently caress 13" screens.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ehnus posted:

I love it. I love being able to customize it. I love that it figures out that I'm typing in an address or email in web fields and shows me helpful suggestions that I can just tap. I love the volume and video controls.

I don't love how sensitive it is and how I have to adjust how I hold my fingers over the keys otherwise i accidentally hit send a lot while typing email. However a quick reconfigure to move the send button over to the right helped a LOT.

I totally respect that people don't like it but it just works for me.

E: I loving ADORE the Touch ID reader especially since my password vault uses it. Unlocking with my watch is also cool but that's not really a touch bar thing.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Boiled Water posted:

In my perfect dream world (which we're each describing it seems) I'd have a 15 incher with physical keys and some dumb dual core intel chip and no gpu.

Only pc manufacturers make the "lovely laptop with 15" screen" model. There's even 15" lowish-res chromebooks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, but gently caress 13" screens.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've owned 15" laptops twice and that was some of the worst years of my life.

Ok that was due to some personal problems I was dealing in a really immature way with. But still. It's a data point. 13" forever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cingulate posted:

I've owned 15" laptops twice and that was some of the worst years of my life.

Ok that was due to some personal problems I was dealing in a really immature way with. But still. It's a data point. 13" forever.

13" is way more portable but you can pack double the power in a 15" since Apple doesn't do quad-core in a 13"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got a small scratch on my 2012 MBP's screen. Are there any good scratch repair kits out there or is it not worth trying to fix?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MrBond posted:

Only pc manufacturers make the "lovely laptop with 15" screen" model. There's even 15" lowish-res chromebooks!

I could live with having a quad core something chip I just don't need the amd gpu.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pollyanna posted:

Got a small scratch on my 2012 MBP's screen. Are there any good scratch repair kits out there or is it not worth trying to fix?

in my experience most of them tend to make screens a cloudy mess. I've always regretted trying to fix scratches myself.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

MrBond posted:

Isn't that how the silver Mac pros work?

My personal expectation is something more ITX-sized for a Mac Pro, but may still accommodate a full-sized PCI-E. I wouldn't expect drive bays though - every other Mac has a proprietary PCI-E SSD and I don't see why that would change for the main disk. Consumers can use USB 3 drives and pros can use their NASes or TB3 drives if they want more.

100% certain it'll have a gumstick SSD standard - whatever format the current MacPro and iMac take. I think it's a 50/50 chance there's a slot for a 2.5" HD as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ehnus posted:

I'm not a keyboard looker so I find it really hard to adjust to things that might save time on the touchbar, but it's not a big deal to glance down as I get used to it. I really like some of the options. Things like text formatting in MS Office and brush options in Photoshop are genuine time savers once you get the muscle memory for them, since you don't have that cursor-finding lag. That's an adjustment, though and I often have to put a bit of effort into remembering to use them. And I don't like Mission Control being on right in the control bar section.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
I'm not sure what that part about Mission Control means, but the control strip is entirely customisable. I forgot to mention above that I never use the F-keys so I set the fn key to show the expanded control strip instead, and put things like screen lock in there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

jawbroken posted:

I'm not sure what that part about Mission Control means, but the control strip is entirely customisable. I forgot to mention above that I never use the F-keys so I set the fn key to show the expanded control strip instead, and put things like screen lock in there.

To get exposé/mission control you press f3 on the function bar, so show desktop is burned into my mind as cmd+f3 with my left hand. I just have to adjust to four fingers splayed on the pad or right hand cmd+touchbar button. I have it in the control strip because I constantly drag stuff between windows so the gestures won't really work for that.

One fun thing is that having people use my laptop for demos ALWAYS has them activating force touch because they press with the force of a hydraulic press to click.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

tuyop posted:

To get exposé/mission control you press f3 on the function bar, so show desktop is burned into my mind as cmd+f3 with my left hand. I just have to adjust to four fingers splayed on the pad or right hand cmd+touchbar button. I have it in the control strip because I constantly drag stuff between windows so the gestures won't really work for that.

One fun thing is that having people use my laptop for demos ALWAYS has them activating force touch because they press with the force of a hydraulic press to click.

I never ever use tap to click. I mostly forget that's even an option. I mouse over to whatever I want to click and press down, instead of taking my finger off the trackpad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tap to click for life

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bob Morales posted:

Tap to click for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I have a 2010 11" MacBook Air (128GB) that I'm looking to replace, and I'm thinking to make the jump to pure iPad from now on instead of laptops. Some in the thread may recall this was the laptop I had trouble with in Africa (turned out to be a bad power cable, bought a replacement in Paris and it was fine), and I just got the battery replaced and all the years of foreign dust blown out. Overall it still works fine, but an iPad would be more versatile for games and movies, as well as using for sheet music for piano, more compact, simpler OS, etc.

All I do on my laptop is web-browsing stuff, MS Suite, and muck around with music and photos. No specialized programs, and the only games I play are iOS games anyway. Am I missing any huge downside to just getting a refurbished iPad (wifi only, but hot-spottable to my phone) and making that my main "computer" from now on?

If that's a good call, are there standard goon favorites for laptop-esque cases for it that hold a keyboard, and what keyboard (and trackpad or no?) are recommended?

Also, I was thinking to get a 256GB because I had to offload a ton of photos and music from my 128GB laptop since it was packed, but instead of paying a lot extra for twice the memory, should I just get better about keeping whatever I don't immediately need on the Cloud so I don't need to mess with so many drives and whatever, or risk over-filling a 128GB? Could I get away with even less than a 128GB if I go cloud-heavy and keep using TimeMachine on an external drive?

Lastly, is this summer a good time to buy, or will refurbs get cheaper due to some new introductions later this year?

EDIT: thinking a refurb iPad Pro 9.7 with either 128GB or 256GB, wi-fi only. The Rose Gold ones are hideous but are like $170 cheaper.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 8, 2017