Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

Speaking of which, how is New York 2140 (for anyone who's read it)?

I'm halfway through it and it's okay. Suspect it will be more on par with 2312 than Aurora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Just hit the last section of American Gods

Kind of disappointed in the direction the story is going, was kinda hoping the "war" wouldn't be quite so literal

EDIT: Also there better be some kind of justification for the absurd level of coincidences in the end of the second section because if not, fuuuccckkk

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

It's a pretty good book but I wouldn't call it great or a classic.

e: How about The Orphan's Tales?

Read this.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jack2142 posted:

Boneshaker was pretty bad.

Nah, it was just an overall average book. It has no business being a Hugo finalist, though.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

my bony fealty posted:

I picked up the compendium Tales of the Dying Earth a few days ago and blitzed through it. I love dying Earth settings and I shamefully had not read the master until now.

What else is there from Vance, or anyone really, that has the same kind of subtle humor throughout? Cugel and Rhialto's stories are funnier than any intentional sci-fi/fantasy comedy I've read.

More Jack Vance. Any Jack Vance will do.

I'd say go for the Lyonesse books next, myself, they're basically his take on trad fantasy in his own unique way, and if you love Cugel and Rhialto you'll love them too.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Hydronium posted:

Speaking of which, how is New York 2140 (for anyone who's read it)?
I thought it was pretty bad, just skip it. It felt rally contrived and was way too long. Nothing about it is interesting in the least and the future is really really boring, and mostly uneventful. The story could have taken place in present time in a city that isn't under water and not changed much.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ornamented Death posted:

Nah, it was just an overall average book. It has no business being a Hugo finalist, though.

Maybe it was better than I remember, I don't think I have read it since 2009 or so admittedly "Steampunk Seattle with Zombies" got me interested and I remember being underwhelmed.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

I'd move on to Vance's Demon Princes books, they are great.

I thought about this, until I saw the ebook price was almost 18 bucks for the first one. That's batshit crazy.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I thought about this, until I saw the ebook price was almost 18 bucks for the first one. That's batshit crazy.

The "first one" is actually the first three of the five books on the series. (Or you can buy them individually for six bucks each.)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's... slightly better, actually.

I didn't read the synopsis or details, since above mentioned DON'T DO THAT, so yea that's on me.

Still, :20bux: for an ebook, even if it is a collection. drat. Never really thought I'd see the day.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

RoboCicero posted:

I'm genuinely curious why people love it so much! It's not a Big Idea story, it's not particularly funny compared with the pillars of the genre, the story is a completely average traipse across various exotic locales...what's the deal?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks, I was wondering if we had anyone here of Chinese background who had read the book.

I'm Chinese-American and it's been years since I've read Bridge of Birds so caveats abound, but: as a high school student, I enjoyed it as a light, happy fantasy, and loved it because it was the first time I had ever read a fantasy that covered China in a way that felt familiar and respectful...and wasn't super racist or exploitative. Hughart didn't exoticize people or culture to the point where it felt alien or foreign (again: see exploitative). All the characters felt like people rather than caricatures, as Hieronymous Alloy mentioned in one of his posts. The mythical China he described had at best a tenuous relationship to historical China, but I guess I assumed he wasn't trying to be precise, only close enough to get the reader settled into the world. And it was culturally recognizable, if about as predictable and cliche as the HK historical dramas my family always liked to watch over dinner (well okay, Bridge of Birds was tragically short on the ghosts of grandparents gossiping and berating you, but you can't have everything).

In fact, that first time I remember being stunned to see someone Chinese in a fantasy book at all. Hell, even fantasy not-China as a setting was pretty amazing. I'm (still) not used to seeing someone like me in a book at all, so the experience was and is startling and weird and once I got over all that baggage, actually kinda nice!

Compare with something like Memoirs of a Geisha, which made high school me so loving uncomfortable with how strongly every description screamed Asian fetish that I shoved it into a dark corner after I finished and never wanted to revisit. I'm not gonna sit here and say that Bridge of Birds is perfect (no book is), but at least for me, the difference was like night and day.

That said, I'm all for more people writing fantasies based on other cultures, just as I'm all for writers from other cultures getting to write stories that aren't based on their own cultures.

tl;dr: I found it a fun book, but admit I'm biased because of personal reasons. I didn't find it culturally problematic though.

saphron fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 5, 2017

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I didn't read the synopsis or details, since above mentioned DON'T DO THAT, so yea that's on me.

Still, :20bux: for an ebook, even if it is a collection. drat. Never really thought I'd see the day.

It's three full novels. Twenty bucks is totally reasonable.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
FYI City of Stairs #3 is came out this week

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31522139-city-of-miracles

I'm about half way through and it's better than #2, not quite as good as #1.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

coffeetable posted:

FYI City of Stairs #3 is came out this week

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31522139-city-of-miracles

I'm about half way through and it's better than #2, not quite as good as #1.

my biggest problem with #2 is how it felt like it was using #1 as a blueprint. is this different?

don't know why i'm asking actually i'll probably read it regardless.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One last suggestion I remembered for the whats-what-in-contemporary-fantasy list: how's Declare for alternate history?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Declare is amazing but it's a bit niche and I wouldn't classify it as alt history. I think you could actually call it historical fiction, with fantasy elements. It's doing its own Tim Powers thing.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 5, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

anilEhilated posted:

One last suggestion I remembered for the whats-what-in-contemporary-fantasy list: how's Declare for alternate history?

AFAIK everything in Declare matches up with real history. You just have to believe in the supernatural elements and a very effective intelligence operation to believe it actually happened and have your mind blown.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_acs...rd_i=1000677541

A few good classics in today's kindle daily deals including Foundation, Stranger in a Strange Land, 2001, and Cat's cradle.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Declare is amazing but it's a bit niche and I wouldn't classify it as alt history. I think you could actually call it historical fiction, with fantasy elements. It's doing its own Tim Powers thing.

To expand: Powers tries to learn as much as he can about some series of events in history and depicts them with essentially no changes but comes up with a nutso fantasy/occult explanation underpinning known events which ties them together. Declare is loving good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just hit the last section of American Gods

Kind of disappointed in the direction the story is going, was kinda hoping the "war" wouldn't be quite so literal

EDIT: Also there better be some kind of justification for the absurd level of coincidences in the end of the second section because if not, fuuuccckkk
Depending on specifically where you're at, keep going. There's reasoning behind some of the coincidences - although some of them didn't have a justification that I remember and really stuck out.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

freebooter posted:

I need to get around to reading Embassytown. I found all three Bas-Lag books to be a frustrating mix of brilliant imagination and an inability to know what to cut, but The City & The City was a very solid, unique fantasy novel.

I'd like to see more of that kind of definition of fantasy: a completely original flight of fancy, without any particular roots in mythology or folklore or whatever, or alternate universes, and not stuff you'd really consider magical realism either. The only other example I can think of is David Mitchell's Marinus books.

I tend to internally classify TC&TC as social science fiction instead of fantasy, but it really is pretty unique. I should probably read more Mitchell though, I've only read Cloud Atlus and The Bone Clocks.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I just finished the paper menagerie and I enjoyed it but found the pro Chinese bias a little but overwhelming at times, I'm not saying there is no counterpoints but they were pretty sparse. Am I a horrible anti Chinese person or did anyone else get this vibe? I've not noticed it in any review so I'm starting to think I'm a dick.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

taser rates posted:

I tend to internally classify TC&TC as social science fiction instead of fantasy, but it really is pretty unique. I should probably read more Mitchell though, I've only read Cloud Atlus and The Bone Clocks.

Me, I just think of it as a noir detective story with a really weird setting.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

taser rates posted:

Black Swan Green and Thousand Autumn's are both great. The rest aren't essential.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

Maybe it was better than I remember, I don't think I have read it since 2009 or so admittedly "Steampunk Seattle with Zombies" got me interested and I remember being underwhelmed.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either; I don't regret the time I spent reading it but I also wouldn't recommend it to other people.

Her Cheshire Red books were much better and it's a shame she seems to have written the first two books of a 3-4 book series and then lost interest.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kalman posted:

The "first one" is actually the first three of the five books on the series. (Or you can buy them individually for six bucks each.)

I own it on Kindle, it's actually all five.

THE STAR KING
THE KILLING MACHINE
THE PALACE OF LOVE
THE FACE
THE BOOK OF DREAMS

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Neurosis posted:

To expand: Powers tries to learn as much as he can about some series of events in history and depicts them with essentially no changes but comes up with a nutso fantasy/occult explanation underpinning known events which ties them together. Declare is loving good.

What the consensus for other books like Declare that are worth checking out (I mean, other than more Tim powers books). Specifically Cold War occult books?

I have The Witch Who Came In From the Cold on my kindle but won't get to it until I finished City of Miracles (which is great so far).

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

taser rates posted:

Reading The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet is pretty rewarding after reading The Bone Clocks; I thought Mitchell just picked Marinus up and re-used him, but when I went back and re-read Thousand Autumns, he'd definitely already decided Marinus was a perpetually reincarnated immortal. Marinus even makes regular comments about it, but the other characters just chalk it up as him being eccentric.

Solitair posted:

Black Swan Green and Thousand Autumn's are both great. The rest aren't essential.

I really love Ghostwritten too, especially the Mongolia chapter. His only meh books are Number9dream and Slade House.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Depending on specifically where you're at, keep going. There's reasoning behind some of the coincidences - although some of them didn't have a justification that I remember and really stuck out.

The coincidences that annoyed were the things with Sam and then Audrey at the end of the second section

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

by.a.teammate posted:

I just finished the paper menagerie and I enjoyed it but found the pro Chinese bias a little but overwhelming at times, I'm not saying there is no counterpoints but they were pretty sparse. Am I a horrible anti Chinese person or did anyone else get this vibe? I've not noticed it in any review so I'm starting to think I'm a dick.

I noticed it in The Man Who Ended History and while there are many points where he's not wrong, he painted the whole with an entirely Chinese-viewpoint brush. It's a difficult subject because a lot of the people who question the Chinese narrative about WWII are really vile nationalists, but his portrayal of those issues as completely ignored and rug-swept by the status quo isn't really accurate either. It struck close to home to me because I was writing at the time about how China would exaggerate or constantly bring up Japanese war crimes as a diplomatic bludgeon in other areas. I wouldn't say you're a dick, he lays it on a little thick. On the other hand, like, The Litigation Master and the Monkey King is pretty harsh on dynastic China.

Pretty much when I go into one of his stories I expect a war crime to come up somewhere but I haven't read all the stories in the collection, just a few that turned up in magazines I was looking at. I remember another one about wine that did something with memory that wasn't so harsh maybe. Paper Menagerie itself doesn't have any atrocities but is Amy Tan levels of 'bawwwwwwww' by the end.

That's not a bad thing, it's just something to be prepared for. Michael Swanwick is the only other author who comes close to gut-punching as regularly.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i find the thinking strange that you could feel morally implicated at all just because you got a vibe that might or might not be true on the limited information you had.

McCoy Pauley posted:

What the consensus for other books like Declare that are worth checking out (I mean, other than more Tim powers books). Specifically Cold War occult books?

read colder war by Charles Stross, available here: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

i'm not a big stross fan by any means, but it is flat out loving amazing, and it might be the best lovecraftian story i've read period (and i read a lot of that kind of stuff)

otherwise, austin grossman did an okay book called crooked that kind of takes a similar approach to powers - it's about richard nixon's rise to power and fall and his entanglement with a magical/lovecraftian cold war with russia. not quite as good as the other things mentioned but i had fun and it led me to finding some things out about nixon i didn't know.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

poo poo, I read a trilogy a few years back about the british in ww2 and if they had a warlock department. As I remember I found it pretty great and the warlock stuff gets more hosed up as the series progresses but I can't for the life of me remember the name lf the series. :mad:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Biplane posted:

poo poo, I read a trilogy a few years back about the british in ww2 and if they had a warlock department. As I remember I found it pretty great and the warlock stuff gets more hosed up as the series progresses but I can't for the life of me remember the name lf the series. :mad:

Are you talking about the Milkweed Trilogy by Ian Tragillis?

I remember the ending of Bitter Seeds really unsettled me.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

flosofl posted:

Are you talking about the Milkweed Trilogy by Ian Tragillis?

I remember the ending of Bitter Seeds really unsettled me.

Yeah that's the one. And yes, what I thought started at first as a relatively wacky concept quickly dove head first into hosed up territory like the guys son :stare:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Neurosis posted:

i find the thinking strange that you could feel morally implicated at all just because you got a vibe that might or might not be true on the limited information you had.

It's now morally wrong to even entertain incorrect thoughts and it's starting to creep into even well adjusted peoples' thinking. Doubly so if non-western cultures are involved.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The only thing I remember about American Gods is that it was very forgettable, but I just saw a Youtube ad for the TV series and it struck me - whether or not the TV series turns out to good - that it's the kind of story that would be way more suited as a TV series or film than a book.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

freebooter posted:

The only thing I remember about American Gods is that it was very forgettable, but I just saw a Youtube ad for the TV series and it struck me - whether or not the TV series turns out to good - that it's the kind of story that would be way more suited as a TV series or film than a book.

Gaiman's always struck me as a more visual writer who works better in comics than in pure words. I think you're right!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Personally I think American Gods is amazing and its one of my favorite novels!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
American Gods is mediocre and it's not at all one of my favourite novels.

I honestly have never seen anyone defend it on the basis of it's literary qualities.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yes we know, literary quality