Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

haljordan posted:

Let me guess: She doesn't consider Medicare/Medicaid as welfare.

How did you know??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tired Moritz posted:

legit confused why america don't have universal healthcare. Even my garbage 3rd country has universal healthcare lol

You know that experiment with 3 year olds, to see if they have higher reasoning.
The one where you offer them 1 candy now, or 2 later if they wait 5 minutes.
Americans are ALWAYS the kid who takes the 1 candy instantly, then bitches and cries that someone else might have waited and got 2.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bob NewSCART posted:

Hahaha I just read an article that said pretty much all of the republican congress is fighting to have obamacare removed in place of.. states being able to obtain waivers for insurers to charge whatever the gently caress they want.

What is the ideal in these people's minds? Have every single person that ever has to have medicinal treatment either be extraordinarily wealthy or die? Because I hope they realize they can't be rich old white guys if everyone that was making them money is dead.

IMO it's a perverse faith in some kinda social Darwin capitalist market Stockholm amalgam. I remember some woman on npr talking about how wrong it is to expect other people to pay for you to eat lobster every day. You need to live within your means, even if you have to eat only hot dogs. She then applied this to health insurance.

Thing that gets me is stuff like healthcare shouldn't be market based. Maybe it's a system that works for certain things, but jfc these are human lives here. But people get INTO it, revel in it. I know a chick who claims to be Christian As gently caress, but she has the most vicious ideas. There's a lot of people who think of themselves as good people but have an underlying layer that's so goddamn ugly.

I really think it's some kind of undifferentiated, unexamined mass of ideas that gets picked up and calcifies into a set of strong beliefs.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

happyhippy posted:

You know that experiment with 3 year olds, to see if they have higher reasoning.
The one where you offer them 1 candy now, or 2 later if they wait 5 minutes.
Americans are ALWAYS the kid who takes the 1 candy instantly, then bitches and cries that someone else might have waited and got 2.

and then all the 1-marshmallow kids got together and voted that nobody should have any marshmallows, except for the ones who already had 2 marshmallows. the ones who already had 2 marshmallows can now have 3 marshmallows

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Tired Moritz posted:

legit confused why america don't have universal healthcare. Even my garbage 3rd country has universal healthcare lol

Your confusion stems from a sense of basic human decency which is commendable; but here, in America, we know that accumulating wealth is actually the most important thing.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Once your brain develops the word filter that changes "populist", "conservative" or "republican" into "worthless subhuman retard" the news makes sense again. LOL.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

46% of country didn't vote in 2016 lol

take your pick, the idiot billionaire or the corrupt wall street drunk

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Bernie would've won

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
If the majority of people don't vote, the system should just be that there isn't a president

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I wonder how many of the small contractors Trump completely hosed over in the last four decades voted for him.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Lol that he is about to gently caress over all the poors who voted for him, and that they are all so stupid that they'll probably still think it was the LIEBERALS who did it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tiberius Christ posted:

take your pick, the idiot billionaire or the corrupt wall street drunk

300 years nearly of fighting for the right to vote for everyone, ancestors dying for it, and just because the candidate isn't 100% perfect the other side won.
lol america

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
lol seriously millions of people voted for Trump after he said profoundly stupid things every day for like a year and a half. I loving hate everyone. lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

happyhippy posted:

300 years nearly of fighting for the right to vote for everyone, ancestors dying for it, and just because the candidate isn't 100% perfect the other side won.
lol america

The idea of sides is fake and the fact that they're entrenched stifles civic discourse in America

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The thing that pisses me off the most about Trump is that he'd basically be a hobo right now except banks are universally run by complete morons and they loaned him so much money that they'd all go out of business if he just said "gently caress You" and stopped paying them. They were basically forced into reworking all his debt.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Quote from an old courier guy who used to pick up a route every night from my work - "You know all of these fat cat politicians keep ganging up on the one guy running who isn't a politician and who tells it like it is.. Things really need to change, I already know who I'm voting for.."

Not too long after that statement I would never see him again because he had to get a hip replacement. LOL, have fun dealing with the insurance company your lovely courier service set you up with, Lowell.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

haljordan posted:

I wonder how many of the small contractors Trump completely hosed over in the last four decades voted for him.

"Well, he hosed me out of tens of thousands of dollars, won a court war of attrition when I tried to collect, and caused me to shrink my business's scope significantly, but her e-mails."

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Feminasty Slut posted:

lol seriously millions of people voted for Trump after he said profoundly stupid things every day for like a year and a half. I loving hate everyone. lol

Sorry but people vote for their interests, the working poor are tired of incrementalism and they voted for the guy that would upset the system. That's why they ignored the racism, sexism and stupid bullshit he said. Have you listened to his speeches? Listen past the dumb bullshit and he talks about our corruption, how our politicians are bribed and how it harms working Americans. He talked to the coal miners and said he help them while Clinton stood in front of them and said she was going to take away their jobs.

Trump tapped into real working poor frustration because no one has done that in 30 years.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Constipated posted:

Quote from an old courier guy who used to pick up a route every night from my work - "You know all of these fat cat politicians keep ganging up on the one guy running who isn't a politician and who tells it like it is.. Things really need to change, I already know who I'm voting for.."

The most hilarious thing is the Donald clearly just wants to join the club and has no intention of changing anything. I've said it before, but Trump is the "Hope and Change" candidate for these people.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Tiberius Christ posted:

Sorry but people vote for their interests, the working poor are tired of incrementalism and they voted for the guy that would upset the system. That's why they ignored the racism, sexism and stupid bullshit he said. Have you listened to his speeches? Listen past the dumb bullshit and he talks about our corruption, how our politicians are bribed and how it harms working Americans. He talked to the coal miners and said he help them while Clinton stood in front of them and said she was going to take away their jobs.

Trump tapped into real working poor frustration because no one has done that in 30 years.

Lol have you noticed that trump easily slipped right into the same corruption he pledged to fight against?

The only system he upset is his own GI system, stress does a number on your poop schedule and I bet he's suffering on the toilet every day, and at that thought, I will always lol

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
I lol whenever I do a quick comparison of trump's inaugural address to whatever his latest speech is

People talk about Obama and Bush having their lifeforce drained by their presidencies, look at trump's change in just over 100 days. Even if he never gets impeached he's rapidly destroying a body that was in terrible shape to start with

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Tiberius Christ posted:

He flat out lied to a bunch of dumb people.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

Some of his supporters are still mad that Hillary isn't in jail lol

Some?

He hasnt had a rally since elected that doesnt erupt in "lock her up" chants

The best part is that the chant erupts randomly at the mention of anything

These people hate women still have no clue why women voted for him

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Lol have you noticed that trump easily slipped right into the same corruption he pledged to fight against?

The only system he upset is his own GI system, stress does a number on your poop schedule and I bet he's suffering on the toilet every day, and at that thought, I will always lol

I'm all out of lols

Trump was never going to fix anything, plenty of people saw that, but the ones that were desperate for hope put their faith in him.

ok I still have some lols but poo poo sucks for everyone and party politics made us hate each other.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Tired Moritz posted:

see, this is what happens when old people live too long.

So one could say that republicans and Donald Trump are doing the world a favor by reducing American life expectancy, no?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Madcosby posted:

Some?

He hasnt had a rally since elected that doesnt erupt in "lock her up" chants

The best part is that the chant erupts randomly at the mention of anything

These people hate women still have no clue why women voted for him

Kind of the same mentality that leads to people like Ben Carson believing they are 'one of the good ones' and talk about how they are proud they don't act like thugs, you know, like most other black people

If you've ever spent time around trump ladies, there is a lot of criticism of other (usually younger) women, how morals in this country have decayed, how the skirts are too short and they're glad they werent raised to be shameless hussies like these darn millenials

Also met some 30-something trump ladies and for them it feels like more of a smug turnabout thing, like "well you think I'm not allowed to vote for trump? I'll show you!" kind of thing

Cursed Lumberjack fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 6, 2017

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Also met some 30-something trump ladies and for them it feels like more of a smug turnabout thing, like "we'll you think I'm not allowed to vote for trump? I'll show you!" kind of thing

The spite vote is only vote you need in America.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

The thing that pisses me off the most about Trump is that he'd basically be a hobo right now except banks are universally run by complete morons and they loaned him so much money that they'd all go out of business if he just said "gently caress You" and stopped paying them. They were basically forced into reworking all his debt.

Trump owns property in manhattan. Whether you have a parking lot or a 20 story highrise, youve got it made for life. Any bank will loan any amount with personal collateral like nyc property.

Its easily the simplest get tich scheme: start with the most expensive property in the us (lol), borrow on it, buy more expensive property

Repeat

You can do it yourself too! What do you mean your daddy didn't give you a million dollar property when you turned 18?

Ps this system still works for the less rich in places like charlotte, phoenix, etc

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Tricky D posted:

The spite vote is only vote you need in America.

Yeah, in one case the lady in question is just running for Republican office so she kind of has to play that game until she gets elected, more power to her, I get it. She has really reprehensible opinions about poor people but she'd be more sane than whoever she's replacing, at least

For the other ones that are single moms and working class I really don't understand it

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I live in Ohio and from what I've gathered from living here my entire life, people who are mid 40's-50+ years old, especially people who don't have children have never had a computer or the internet. Their only 2 sources of news is cable/dish TV, and the newspaper. Less and less people get the paper, and I only ever notice them reading local and sports sections.

I don't think I even need to name the ONE network these people watch for their news.. :suicide:

Brainwashed idiots.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Tiberius Christ posted:

Clinton had $30bn earmarked for relief in Appalachia.

Trump has no plans other than telling the coal companies they can literally bomb the mountains to get the last fragments of coal out of there and also they can dump their poison wastewater into the rivers.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

turn off the TV posted:

My grandmother believes that all welfare programs should be discontinued because some people exploit them, even if the number of people doing so is very low.

Given her strong concern over a very small percentage where things don't work as intended, how does she feel about the death penalty?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

you guys seen this yet

https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/860650162343071744

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Constipated posted:

Lol that he is about to gently caress over all the poors who voted for him, and that they are all so stupid that they'll probably still think it was the LIEBERALS who did it.

This is 100% how it will go down.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

the dude is literally 3 feet wide and shaped like a pillow.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Minimalist Program posted:

the dude is literally 3 feet wide and shaped like a pillow.

a pillow that's seen better days

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Constipated posted:

Another possibility is that Trump and the republicans never manage to pass any major legislation and all the stupid poors wonder what the bug fuss was about.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Clinton had $30bn earmarked for relief in Appalachia.

Trump has no plans other than telling the coal companies they can literally bomb the mountains to get the last fragments of coal out of there and also they can dump their poison wastewater into the rivers.

Exactly, Clinton said she send some money to an area. Trump said he'd help YOU personally. We feel politics, that's why you can't fact check someone to death. gently caress those mountains, my life is on the chopping block and I need help, I have bills to pay and I'm getting older with no retirement coming and I can't afford my car payment, please will someone help me? That's the narrative and it's powerful.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
"why isn't there a white entertainment television?" - the president of the united states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Hammerite posted:

a pillow that's seen better days

Do trump body pillows exist?

Fake edit: of loving course they do https://www.google.com/search?q=tru...mobile&ie=UTF-8

I hope none of you had a shred of doubt in your mind

real edit: https://medium.com/@Nicky_Martin/donald-trump-stole-20-000-of-inuyasha-body-pillows-from-my-small-business-76f4a73064c4 lol