Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

[*]The art design, in general

I'm kind of surprised by how green and blue it is. I was expecting much warmer colors, like orange and yellow and burnt umber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I am probably using the wrong word for it--as an alternative, 'set design,' perhaps?

Clearly I have not read nearly enough Zisek to be a heavy hitter in the world of SA film criticism. :v:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Are we ignoring that somehow this movie manages to end with a giant beam of light in the sky over a city

That loving beam is everywhere jesus christ

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What beam? :confused:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

1:34 in the trailer

Ok technically its a giant beam of light in a city coming out of a giant tower but the point stands

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

1:34 in the trailer

Ok technically its a giant beam of light in a city coming out of a giant tower but the point stands

:thejoke:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

i don't see where there was a joke

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oh god dammit now I get it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They can't all be zinger's :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Seriously though correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the Dark Tower never shoots beams of light over New York City and if so holy poo poo this movie is so cliche they up and added a giant beam of light over New York City

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
im not sure 'heavy handed in the exposition/world building' is a fair criticism to level at a trailer for a fantasy movie that needs to introduce the setting, background, plot and stakes to an audience that doesnt know anything about that nerd poo poo

also if they really are setting this up to be like the MCU then of course they need a giant sky beam over a city

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's the director's first Hollywood movie and his first movie in English (as far as I can tell). It's produced by Ron Howard. They're trying to make a franchise out of it with spin-off shows, etc.

It's going to be cliche as gently caress.

edit: For clarity, I've never read the Dark Tower books except for, like, the first quarter of Gunslinger.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 4, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Probably, yes. That said, unless they've drastically ramped up the escalation in the first book, I suspect that footage turns out to be a dream or a visual depiction of Roland explaining the stakes.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I've been tempering my expectations of this movie for years now, what with the development hell and not knowing if we're getting A Beautiful Mind Akiva Goldsman or Batman & Robin Akiva Goldsman as a writer. I like Idris Elba but I don't know if I trust Goldsman enough as a writer to not make a complete mess out of the Odetta/Detta/Susannah interactions, assuming she shows up at all in any of the movies. That said the movie comes out a day before my birthday, so I hope its a surprisingly enjoyable birthday present.

In light of the movie coming out, I'm trying to get my fiancee to read the series. When looking through my collection I noticed that I have both the original and the revised version of The Gunslinger as eBooks (and probably both in paperback somewhere at my parent's house). I started a reread myself and realized that in all my rereads of the series I've never actually read the revised version and for awhile I thought I just missed all of the overt references to later books somehow.

I don't know how I feel about it, on the one hand the references are interesting and make The Gunslinger tie into the rest of the series much better, on the other one of the things that really drew me into the book originally was the sparseness of it. It had a very distinctive style that is much different than the writer that Stephen King eventually evolved into. I can't decide which version to give to her, whether the revisions are actually better and it's just my nostalgia making me miss the original. What's the goon consensus on which is better?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I've been tempering my expectations of this movie for years now, what with the development hell and not knowing if we're getting A Beautiful Mind Akiva Goldsman or Batman & Robin Akiva Goldsman as a writer. I like Idris Elba but I don't know if I trust Goldsman enough as a writer to not make a complete mess out of the Odetta/Detta/Susannah interactions, assuming she shows up at all in any of the movies. That said the movie comes out a day before my birthday, so I hope its a surprisingly enjoyable birthday present.

In light of the movie coming out, I'm trying to get my fiancee to read the series. When looking through my collection I noticed that I have both the original and the revised version of The Gunslinger as eBooks (and probably both in paperback somewhere at my parent's house). I started a reread myself and realized that in all my rereads of the series I've never actually read the revised version and for awhile I thought I just missed all of the overt references to later books somehow.

I don't know how I feel about it, on the one hand the references are interesting and make The Gunslinger tie into the rest of the series much better, on the other one of the things that really drew me into the book originally was the sparseness of it. It had a very distinctive style that is much different than the writer that Stephen King eventually evolved into. I can't decide which version to give to her, whether the revisions are actually better and it's just my nostalgia making me miss the original. What's the goon consensus on which is better?

same i have an original beat up to gently caress paperback of the gunslinger and when i was younger it took me forever to finish that one in comparison with usual king popcorn blast through in like 3-4-5 hour easy read its still raw and sparse and occasionally very cumbersome, but the imagery was stellar.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I've been tempering my expectations of this movie for years now, what with the development hell and not knowing if we're getting A Beautiful Mind Akiva Goldsman or Batman & Robin Akiva Goldsman as a writer.

If you really want to get nervous remember that you might even get Winter's Tale Akiva Goldsman

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I'm kind of surprised by how green and blue it is. I was expecting much warmer colors, like orange and yellow and burnt umber.

I was really surprised by this as well.

In my mind, the desert was sprawling. To the point of being surreal (you know, like everything else). Like the sky was SO blue that it was almost black sort of surreal, and everything else was really warm tones.

The trailer makes it look like everything takes place in the second level of super mario bros.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seriously though correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the Dark Tower never shoots beams of light over New York City and if so holy poo poo this movie is so cliche they up and added a giant beam of light over New York City

All things serve the Beam.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Idris and mcmaninblack looked great, some of the little glimpses looked like they're going all out on the sci fi-fantasty-horror-western jumble, so visually it looks really great. It is really worrying though that so much of the glimpses look like they should be taking place way later in the story, like it's going to try to fit it all into one movie somehow. It almost feels like a completely different story with nothing to do with the books outside of the same characters and some place names. I mean, I know its a different cycle, which is a pretty cool concept for an adaptation to make it not an actual adaptation, but still, if they don't have more movies, if I don't get to hear ZZ top drum beats on top of a post-apocalyptic sci fi city and robot bears I'm going to be disappointed.

At the end of the day though, It's just a teaser trailer and who knows how much any of that is going to actually be there in the final, and how much any of the questionable stuff is really going to be apart of it in the way the trailer makes it look instead of just misleading snippets to make a trailer look cool to a wide audience. I remain cautiously optimistic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm showing my age here but did Kind get the idea for that series from this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3HVCwPp7j0

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tom Guycot posted:

Idris and mcmaninblack looked great, some of the little glimpses looked like they're going all out on the sci fi-fantasty-horror-western jumble, so visually it looks really great. It is really worrying though that so much of the glimpses look like they should be taking place way later in the story, like it's going to try to fit it all into one movie somehow. It almost feels like a completely different story with nothing to do with the books outside of the same characters and some place names. I mean, I know its a different cycle, which is a pretty cool concept for an adaptation to make it not an actual adaptation, but still, if they don't have more movies, if I don't get to hear ZZ top drum beats on top of a post-apocalyptic sci fi city and robot bears I'm going to be disappointed.

At the end of the day though, It's just a teaser trailer and who knows how much any of that is going to actually be there in the final, and how much any of the questionable stuff is really going to be apart of it in the way the trailer makes it look instead of just misleading snippets to make a trailer look cool to a wide audience. I remain cautiously optimistic.

It will all be in there and more and be a cluttered mess because they're trying to go for too much too soon. It will be visually interesting and a cluttered mess of plots and plot holes. There are now interviews where they're saying "Yeah, its' going to be like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Django Unchained AND Game of Thrones." Uh, yeah, good luck with that.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm showing my age here but did Kind get the idea for that series from this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3HVCwPp7j0

I sure loving hope so.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Firestarter could turn out to be a sort super-hero film with Charlie being so powerful by the end of the story. :( THat's the only thing I didn't like about the book. I like the characters, setting, dynamics, pacing etc. But by the end CHarlie has the power to create a phenomenon powerful enough to destroy the earth so where's the threat to her?

Never saw the first film. Is it any good?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

There's only the one movie, so they've naturally cut a billion things. I doub't we'll see Lud, since there is no ka-tet. The rumored tv-show will get cancelled when the movie bombs.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Seriously think that this entire thing would make more sense as a tv series in the first place.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
I think it looks great, although the MIB is a little too smooth and clean for my liking. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie and where the next cycle takes us. It's like a bonus that continues the story; I don't expect it to have any of the plot elements from the books. I think King said once that he'd like to see it spun out indefinitely with movies, TV series, graphic novels and whatever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The first comic series was loving awesome, but the store near me closed after that.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first comic series was loving awesome, but the store near me closed after that.

my ex bought me a bunch of the hardcover ones, they were pretty cool.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Never saw the first film. Is it any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jg0_M46R-Y

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

I bet this is what the writers of Stranger Things listened to on loop until their own soundtrack was made

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Firestarter is the perfect film to remake as the original kinda wastes the premise and botches the execution. It's just flatly directed and the soundtrack does most of the heavy lifting. George C. Scott is great as the villain, though.

What I really want is a Firestarter film in the vein of Beyond The Black Rainbow or Under The Skin, but that's probably never going to happen.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Attitude Indicator posted:

There's only the one movie, so they've naturally cut a billion things. I doub't we'll see Lud, since there is no ka-tet. The rumored tv-show will get cancelled when the movie bombs.

Wait, they're seriously trying to do it all as one movie? I thought this was them trying to start a franchise of films, like, I was always under the impression this was literally just going to be the gunslinger basically, and then if it made money they'd get to do a whole harry potter thing with the series. What the hell was the rumored tv-show even supposed to be as well then? Was the tv show going to be yet another cycle? Nothing about this project makes any sense now.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

Wait, they're seriously trying to do it all as one movie? I thought this was them trying to start a franchise of films, like, I was always under the impression this was literally just going to be the gunslinger basically, and then if it made money they'd get to do a whole harry potter thing with the series. What the hell was the rumored tv-show even supposed to be as well then? Was the tv show going to be yet another cycle? Nothing about this project makes any sense now.

I'm not sure what's going on with the TV series but this movie is meant to be a kind of remix of things from several of the books rather than a direct adaptation of the first one.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Avril Lavigne posted:

I'm not sure what's going on with the TV series but this movie is meant to be a kind of remix of things from several of the books rather than a direct adaptation of the first one.

Four movies out of the fucken Hobbit, but squish the DT into a movie and quickly canceled TV show. Checks out.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tom Guycot posted:

No, they're not trying to 'do it all' in one movie. They're taking some of the characters, themes, and ideas from the series as a whole and making a movie set in one of Roland's many adventures during his cyclical quest for the Tower.

Whether or not it ends up being good is anyone's guess, but I have far more hope for that approach than I would if they really did try to do it all.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Tv-show was rumored to be about young roland. So probably wizard and glass-ish.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Attitude Indicator posted:

Tv-show was rumored to be about young roland. So probably wizard and glass-ish.

I wonder if they could get Trump to cameo as Rhea of the Coos

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Who plays young Idris?

Just let Idris play a teenager, imo

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Soul Glo posted:

Who plays young Idris?

Michael B. Jordan imo

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

syscall girl posted:

I wonder if they could get Trump to cameo as Rhea of the Coos

I think Conway would be better for that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Soul Glo posted:

Who plays young Idris?

Just let Idris play a teenager, imo

Jaden Smith