Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Obviously Sunrise just needs to make a Love Live!-Gundam crossover. Enough profits to make up for half a decade of losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

floatman posted:

P bandai should just shift to the Kickstarter model.

I imagine it could work like Lego Ideas, though hopefully the threshold to actually see something made would be reasonable enough. I know I would put down money early if they finally did certain designs - Leo comes to mind.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

floatman posted:

P bandai should just shift to the Kickstarter model.

That would be terrible. It would work exactly like it does now, except that if they didn't get enough preorders for a specific model then they just wouldn't make it at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Obviously Sunrise just needs to make a Love Live!-Gundam crossover. Enough profits to make up for half a decade of losses.

Kotobukiya kinda beat them to it with the Frame Arms Girls anime.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

TaurusOxford posted:

Needed more rocket punches and chest heads to appeal to Japan. :v:

tbf this is also one of the reasons i didn't care for it.

Lanz
May 30, 2013
So not sure how okay it is to mention other forums, but the NeoGAF gundam thread apparently has a dude there who works for Bandai-Namco

When asked about the possibility of an MG Barbatos, he replied to "Please look forward to the surprises in store at the 56th Shizuoka Hobby Show."

He also dropped a hint about the G-Reco movie announcement before it went official

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm always up for a good juicy rumor. The new ZZ is going to be the big MG reveal at this year's show, though, so it would be a weird time for another major announcement. Still, ya never know.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A MG Barbatos seems like a waste, considering how good the existing 1/100 Barbatos is

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

A MG Barbatos seems like a waste, considering how good the existing 1/100 Barbatos is

Plus it'd be cheaper, so that's just gonna kill a good portion of potential profit from an MG right off the bat.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
bandai wheres the MG Dendrobium

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There are ways they could split the difference. A Barbatos with a more complex frame and RG-style color seps could be pretty cool, and conceivably hit that ¥3500-4000 sweet spot. Timing still seems a bit off to me, but maybe they'd want to strike while memory of the show is still fresh? Could go either way, but my gut feeling is still 'nein.'

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The 1/100 Barbatos is a pretty compromised build, especially where colour separation is concerned. The HG actually has better colour-separation in places, like on the thighs and the sword, and both of them are pretty sticker-heavy. In fact, I'd say that the Season One Barbatos has never been done full justice by any one kit.

A Barbatos with proper plastic colour separation and all three weapons in one box would be goddamned fantastic.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The 1/100 Barbatos is a pretty compromised build, especially where colour separation is concerned. The HG actually has better colour-separation in places, like on the thighs and the sword, and both of them are pretty sticker-heavy. In fact, I'd say that the Season One Barbatos has never been done full justice by any one kit.

A Barbatos with proper plastic colour separation and all three weapons in one box would be goddamned fantastic.

I'd like for an MG Barbatos to have all the parts for forms 1-6.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Kuvo posted:

It's in the file with all the other things people say they want but would never actually buy.

I recall hearing that it took the HGUC Dendro years to turn any kind of real profit.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 6, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bimmi posted:

It's in the file with all the other things people say they want but would never actually buy.

I recall hearing that it took the HGUC Dendro years to turn any kind of real profit.

That actually surprises me somewhat. It's sort of the Japanese media stereotype to make their money back by overcharging a small demographic with expensive but exclusive merchandise. I guess that works when you're selling three episodes on a DVD for 40 dollars apiece, but it probably doesn't work when you are engineering a plastic monstrosity the size of a small child.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Plastic molds and design costs are a hell of a lot higher than menu design and disc printing.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It took the first run of Dendros something like 4-5 years to sell out, which is pretty shamefully bad by plastic kit standards. Apparently enough fanboys grew up and got decent-paying jobs to eventually make it, if not a genuine success, at least enough of one to warrant a small repop every 2-3 years or so.

An MG-sized version would be so bloody expensive as to be out of the question for any kind of mass market, but maybe they'll do one along the lines of that 1/12 Gundam someday and charge thousands of dollars for a limited run that gets sold exclusively to small business owners and rich nutcases.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Speaking of juicy rumors, it's been suggested that Gundam Guy is being sued over his notoriously lovely retail business, and that's why the blog has gone dark. No idea if it's true.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does GundamKitsCollection have its own skeletons? It seems innocuous but I thought I heard someone mention the guy who runs that website is also a nutter.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, he used to have links to 9/11 truther vids on the main page, but he has cleaned up his act considerably over the last few years... or has he?

GunJap has been updating again, but he still won't let you right-click anything.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 6, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

I'd like for an MG Barbatos to have all the parts for forms 1-6.

That would be nice, but realistically, I'd expect a Fourth Form and eventually a P-Bandai Sixth Form.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Why not a MG Lupus or Rex. Or a Full City with actually​ transforming head.

Also now that hobby wave is closing, where is a good online store for N.A. shipping that doesn't jack up prices a base 30% Or is that why hobby wave went under?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sazabi posted:

Also now that hobby wave is closing, where is a good online store for N.A. shipping that doesn't jack up prices a base 30% Or is that why hobby wave went under?

Because they usually do the first machine first. Exia, then 00 Raiser, for instance.

If it sells, we might see the S2 forms as Master Grades.

I very much doubt that we'll see an MG Gundam not piloted by Mika - maybe in a few years, if the Post Disaster shows remain popular, we'll get an MG Kimaris of some variety. That'd be pretty nice, especially if it's the Kimaris Vidar.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Referring back to the Wing thing (was that here? gently caress if I know) any subsequent things would depend not just on how well the first one sells, but the second and the third. An amazingly advanced frame didn''t help the G Gundam MGs much in terms of sales, y' know?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 6, 2017

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Sazabi posted:

When the stars align Tower Hobbies gets you some really nice deals, they occasionally do free shipping promotions if you're a member (5$ a year) and usually have $15 off $50 coupons up. Plus no one there appears to know the first thing about gunpla so kits are sometimes hilariously mislabeled and they end up slashing prices because nobody can find and buy them (search by part # instead).

That's an asston of work though, I usually just buy off Amazon or eBay, prices really aren't significantly better elsewhere. I suspect competition from those types of places are eating into sites like HobbyWave, anyone with a supplier can instantly start up a store and start getting tons of eyes on the product with basically zero effort.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Oh God the Tower Hobbies website is such a trainwreck. I've given them a bunch of my money though, because the discounts can indeed be powerful and they also ship fast.

e: even minus the discounts their prices have been very good, but they tend to only keep newer and recently reissued things in stock.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 6, 2017

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Sazabi posted:

USAgundamstore is pretty good, they ship pretty quickly and the owner responds to emails quickly too. There's almost always a 10% off coupon that's working too. They also make sure your kit has all the runners/manuel/decals before they ship it off.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I've built a few of the new HG Gundam Seed models recently, and although I've never been a huge fan of Seed's mecha designs the new HGCE line has made me appreciate them a lot more. The new 1/144 Strike Freedom incorporates the swinging skirts in a pretty neat way I wasn't expecting, and little things like that make building the kits a bit more exciting.

Any word on a new HGCE Destiny Gundam? It's one of my favorite Gundam designs (I have the old HG, the RG, and the MG) and I'd love to have one in 1/144 scale with more modern engineering and less fragile "early RG kit" construction.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Well Manicured Man posted:

Any word on a new HGCE Destiny Gundam? It's one of my favorite Gundam designs (I have the old HG, the RG, and the MG) and I'd love to have one in 1/144 scale with more modern engineering and less fragile "early RG kit" construction.

No word on it, but considering the Seed push lately it might happen next year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

asterioth posted:

USAgundamstore is pretty good, they ship pretty quickly and the owner responds to emails quickly too. There's almost always a 10% off coupon that's working too. They also make sure your kit has all the runners/manuel/decals before they ship it off.

That's almost opposite my experience with them. I'd had a couple of small orders go well so I made a couple of big ones, each of which had a couple of preorder items in it. Weeks pass, eBay sellers are moving the items I pre-ordered so I send an email and get no response for three weeks. Then a box with both orders just showed up with no warning. I got everything I paid for, but was not impressed with communication and promptness of shipping. A friend had a similar experience with them too. They may be ok with regular release items but I advise against pre-order or p-Bandai from them.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone got a trick for getting vent fins out? I'm building MG Z'gok and I put these first two on upside down. I've tried pulling them out by using tweezers to push them to one side and pop the pegs out, but they're not coming out.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

You might be able to access the pegs themselves from the back of the chest piece and push/pry one side inward with a knife or something. A riskier way is to bend the fin down at the middle to decrease its length enough to unseat one of the pegs. Heating everything up should help in general and reduce the chance of breakage, the surfaces will get marred more easily though. I don't envy you, this kind of thing is always a huge pain.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
E: Wrong thread, not robot

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I wonder if they could make a MG frame, sell it separately, and then sell "skin" packs so it cuts down on the cost of making multiple master grade lines for IBO.

They're all supposed to be the same frame in the show, right?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The Gundams at least are all Gundam Frames, I can't recall if the rest of the "current use" mobile suits they used were designed based on the success of the Gundam Frames or not, but it would make sense.

Unrelated, I've bought in on an airbrush setup but haven't bought any paints yet. I'll want to practice before the inevitable botch of my first paintjob. There is a supply of Testors down at the local Michaels, which is really the closest hobby shop to me. But I've read mixed reviews of the stuff online when it comes to painting kits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

I wonder if they could make a MG frame, sell it separately, and then sell "skin" packs so it cuts down on the cost of making multiple master grade lines for IBO.

They're all supposed to be the same frame in the show, right?

A few Gundams have custom frames, like the Kimaris (and the Gusion, I guess, though that's less pronounced). Only the Barbatos Fourth Form and Flauros have totally identical frames.

Now, an MG Graze, on the other hand? You could go a lot of different ways with that.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Midjack posted:

That's almost opposite my experience with them. I'd had a couple of small orders go well so I made a couple of big ones, each of which had a couple of preorder items in it. Weeks pass, eBay sellers are moving the items I pre-ordered so I send an email and get no response for three weeks. Then a box with both orders just showed up with no warning. I got everything I paid for, but was not impressed with communication and promptness of shipping. A friend had a similar experience with them too. They may be ok with regular release items but I advise against pre-order or p-Bandai from them.

IDK how long ago you ordered from them but my experences have been the last few months. Maybe they've changed since you ordered or I might have just gotten lucky.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

asterioth posted:

IDK how long ago you ordered from them but my experences have been the last few months. Maybe they've changed since you ordered or I might have just gotten lucky.

December. I may have gotten unlucky myself but having my questions not even be acknowledged was what kind of did it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
That seems to be the standard with USAGundamStore, with their lootboxes too you can see on the internet there's a group of people who have absolutely no problems and another group who says the customer service is terrible, there's no tracking, things are lost in the mail, etc.