Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
If this sells well, will Bathesda pick Prey2 back up again from its fresh coffin?

This is all I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Finally finished the game with 21 hours played, and I didn't do a few side quests as well. I'm definitely going to be giving this game a second round. It really feels like a spiritual successor to Bioshock... the decor and art is very bioshocky. It also borrows some elements from Doom 2016, I think... guns are nice and meaty and the shotgun is very satisfying. I didn't use a single Typhon power, either. Shotgun was my weapon of choice, with the laser for weavers and mc guys. I was surprised how effective the recycler bombs are on enemies. I did end up manufacturing at least 20+ neuromods.

One minor gripe about the ending: It doesn't seem to matter whether I choose to overload the neural network or make the station go boom, it was just 1 line at the end. And when I chose to overload the reactor, it gave me an 8 minute countdown and told me to try to escape... only airlock that appeared to be open was the one in the cargo bay but the alien thing was blocking all routes there. poo poo blew up when I was frantically trying yet another possible exit.

e. The best thing in the world is picking up a strengthIII-requirement cargo pallet or huge rear end machine and throwing it at enemies. You can 4-shot the Nightmare with STRIII crap.

God, I hope there's a PREY 2.

e2. If I had to condense it to one two sentences: BIOSHOCK IN SPACE!!! And I can fly around the space station with mah jetpacksuit.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 6, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I like the little touch where you look through a telescope and see a corpse drifting in space in front of a space billboard and then a few hours later you can actually get to that corpse.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Uncle Kitchener posted:

If this sells well, will Bathesda pick Prey2 back up again from its fresh coffin?

The original prey 2 is dead forever.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i drank too much last night and it's 45 degrees and raining outside so i've crossed everything off my schedule to play some mothafuckin prey

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't find anything about this in the OP; does the game suffer from really bad performance issues on PC like Dishonored 2? :ohdear:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ambaire posted:

Finally finished the game with 21 hours played, and I didn't do a few side quests as well. I'm definitely going to be giving this game a second round. It really feels like a spiritual successor to Bioshock... the decor and art is very bioshocky. It also borrows some elements from Doom 2016, I think... guns are nice and meaty and the shotgun is very satisfying. I didn't use a single Typhon power, either. Shotgun was my weapon of choice, with the laser for weavers and mc guys. I was surprised how effective the recycler bombs are on enemies. I did end up manufacturing at least 20+ neuromods.

One minor gripe about the ending: It doesn't seem to matter whether I choose to overload the neural network or make the station go boom, it was just 1 line at the end. And when I chose to overload the reactor, it gave me an 8 minute countdown and told me to try to escape... only airlock that appeared to be open was the one in the cargo bay but the alien thing was blocking all routes there. poo poo blew up when I was frantically trying yet another possible exit.

e. The best thing in the world is picking up a strengthIII-requirement cargo pallet or huge rear end machine and throwing it at enemies. You can 4-shot the Nightmare with STRIII crap.

God, I hope there's a PREY 2.

e2. If I had to condense it to one two sentences: BIOSHOCK IN SPACE!!! And I can fly around the space station with mah jetpacksuit.

This is my summary of the ending:

Great game otherwise, but Arkane is 2/3 on lame ending sequences now

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Your Computer posted:

I couldn't find anything about this in the OP; does the game suffer from really bad performance issues on PC like Dishonored 2? :ohdear:

There's some stuttering if you use the latest Nvidia drivers. It still occurs even if you use an older version, but not as egregious. Apparently, the game simply doesn't use all the available VRAM if you set the textures to High.

Aside from that - rock solid whatever-monitor-refresh-rate-you-have frames per second.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Y'all going on about the shotgun but the pistol seems way better for damage so far

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

There is no way you are unaware that Prey 2 would either A) be a sequel to THIS game or B) be another strange "reboot" construction like this one. Either way you're probably not going to get your intergalactic Indian bounty hunter game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
OK how do you open the doors that are blocked by loads of planks of metal? I tried a recycling charge as soon as I got them but it didn't do anything so I assumed it was some gadget I'd get a bit later. Then I saw someone use one in a gif I think and it worked. Just tried it again with the grenade right under the planks and it did nothing. Am I missing something or what?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

OK how do you open the doors that are blocked by loads of planks of metal? I tried a recycling charge as soon as I got them but it didn't do anything so I assumed it was some gadget I'd get a bit later. Then I saw someone use one in a gif I think and it worked. Just tried it again with the grenade right under the planks and it did nothing. Am I missing something or what?

I was wondering the same thing. Haven't found any way to open those doors. Always had to go around them.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

thebardyspoon posted:

If it's the ones with the random strips of metal, mimic a coffee cup or whatever and roll under em. I haven't figured out a non-mimic way of doing so... Not using Typhon powers definitely prevents one from exploring everything.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ambaire posted:

If it's the ones with the random strips of metal, mimic a coffee cup or whatever and roll under em. I haven't figured out a non-mimic way of doing so... Not using Typhon powers definitely prevents one from exploring everything.

Oh.... that's super obvious but I've not taken the plunge and grabbed any of the powers yet. Sorta like having turrets backing me up.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It's kinda crazy to me how much of a legacy looking Glass and origin systems have. So many games trace back to them. gently caress origin basically invented the video game rpg. Which every god drat game has rpg mechanics now. Also weird how jrpgs are just wizardry clones.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
You can eat them through recycle grenades. It's really finicky though.

I've yet to find one without a second entrance however.

I'm also pretty sure due to the wording of the powers screen that you can take 1-2 powers up just a little before you become infected. "Little to no Typhon detected" and all that implies you can have a little. I'm going pure so far just because none of the Typhon powers seem all that great/I want to see what the pure endings are. Especially because NG+ lets you just keep going, so it seems like it'd be smart to do a pure game first, then a Typhon game second as you 100% the upgrade stuff and become super Morgan.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Quinton posted:

I was amused by the lab where there's a post-it on everything in the lab that reads "NOT A MIMIC".

I'm stuck in the Morgue though:
I've been waiting about 15 minutes for a Science Operator to turn up to tail into the Morgue, which supposedly happens on the half-hour, but it's now 05:03 in game time and still no sign of the critter... am I missing something here?

There is another way in, but I'm trying to avoid the action that enables that way...

I couldn't get that dude to work, but you can break the glass and use a nerf dart.

what's the action and what's the other way?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rookersh posted:

You can eat them through recycle grenades. It's really finicky though.

I've yet to find one without a second entrance however.

I'm also pretty sure due to the wording of the powers screen that you can take 1-2 powers up just a little before you become infected. "Little to no Typhon detected" and all that implies you can have a little. I'm going pure so far just because none of the Typhon powers seem all that great/I want to see what the pure endings are. Especially because NG+ lets you just keep going, so it seems like it'd be smart to do a pure game first, then a Typhon game second as you 100% the upgrade stuff and become super Morgan.

I have three powers (first level mimic, two levels kinetic explosion) and turrets just started shooting at me. Could be the 3 total or it could be that I went to a second level in the upgrade tree.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

The Walrus posted:

I couldn't get that dude to work, but you can break the glass and use a nerf dart.

what's the action and what's the other way? probably in spoilers I guess

I didn't even think about the nerf bow, haha. I don't think I used it once for my entire first playthrough. Regarding the scientist bot thing: If you read the email, the guy mentions having to shadow the bot in. I think if the bot sees you, it won't go near the door. I ended up hiding on top of a shelf and watching the bot then sprinting to the door when it finally went through it. There is of course the 'mimic small object, move thru bars path' as well, at least I think that would work there. I didn't invest in any Typhon powers for my first playthru.

edit:

Rookersh posted:

Especially because NG+ lets you just keep going, so it seems like it'd be smart to do a pure game first, then a Typhon game second as you 100% the upgrade stuff and become super Morgan.

There's a NG+? I didn't see an option but I didn't go that far either. It just sits on continue last save after the ending. And I did do the shake hands with Alex thing, too.
e2. Just tried it, asked me if I wanted to overwrite my campaign save. And a quick google says there isn't a NG+ option at launch.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 6, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I have level 1 telekinesis and morph and the game says I'm still not a threat to turrets.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

. There is of course the 'mimic small object, move thru bars path' as well, at least I think that would work there. I didn't invest in any Typhon powers for my first playthru.

I don't think so, if I recall correctly they are windows too high to jump through through as a mug or whatever.

what are peoples strats for dealing with voltaic phantoms. EMP grenades sort of work but are really inconsistent, and they take a ton of ammo from range. Obviously getting anywhere near them kills you very quickly. I'm thinking about getting the electrostatic resist traits just for these guys

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

What's the best way to avoid the nightmare? It scoped me out somehow from across the map (psi pose installation?) and I've barricaded myself in a crew quarter room. He's not losing his alertness at all.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For the first time in like 10 years I'm playing through this type of game with no walkthrough. I'm answering every question honestly and speccing into the mods I need when I need them.

Just got to my 1st [spoilers]airlock[/spoilers] and feel like the game is opened up enough for me. The only thing I'm tempted to spoil is where to get this shotgun everyone is so hype on but I'm sure I'll find it soon.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The Qbeam is the answer to all big enemies.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I feel like I probably missed the Q-Beam, got to Crew Quarters and have yet to see it.

A bit pissed off that I went through the trouble of getting mindjack only for every civilian head in the place to pop as soon as I murked the nightmare.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Lol at all the people comparing this to bioshock in space. You mean systemshock...?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Lol at all the people comparing this to bioshock in space. You mean systemshock...?

What's a System Shock? Some kind of indie rip-off of Bioshock?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i would bet a majority of the people who will end up playing this, maybe even some posters in this thread, were born after system shock 2 was released. not even system shock 1

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cowcaster posted:

i would bet a majority of the people who will end up playing this, maybe even some posters in this thread, were born after system shock 2 was released

Mechanically it feels more like Bioshock though, although that is largely just because Bioshock is more modern. I think if SS had a proper third game it would have been this, for sure.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I also love how the teensy tiny typhon corpses tend to vanish in the arboreum.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Okay I'm about to start on Nightmare. What should I upgrade/use for EZ win?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Game runs smooth on otherwise highest settings, but turning screen space reflections on makes it look like this:

R9 Nano and the latest AMD drivers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If you aren't running with Psychoshock permanently equipped idk what you are even doing.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
My gripes with this excellent game cuz I've gotta complain:

The store page says you can "customize your gameplay options and difficulty settings for an even more tailored adventure... make the experience more challenging (or easier) by changing a myriad of parameters related to stealth, movement and combat," and such features are extremely my poo poo, but actually nowhere to be found! Simple stuff like turning off the detection meters (they can give mimics' positions away through walls before they transform, kinda dumb) would be a huge thing. Probably on its way?

Lotta times the scary music cue plays and I look around trying to figure out what I was supposed to see. First-person narration in Dishonored 2 was wonky for similar reasons, cut it out

I'm sure folks will find cool uses for the abilities, but they're all a bit dry at first blush, even the alien ones. I don't feel like I'm missing a great deal by just not taking them. Just port all of Emily's abilities over with no changes, they would fit perfectly

You put a zoom button in (zoom buttons in more games please) but then you put some dumb lines over it!!!

The sound mixing is way, way off - why is gunfire silent when it's more than 15 feet away?

Some of the combat can feel like a simple slugfest what with being able to pause the action to eat five health kits at any time. The fight against the first technomancer felt like a huge mess

Thanks for reading, gonna go back to playin this now

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Metanaut posted:

Game runs smooth on otherwise highest settings, but turning screen space reflections on makes it look like this:

R9 Nano and the latest AMD drivers.

This was happening to me too until I swapped from Fullscreen to Borderless. I have two monitors, if that might be causing it.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

(discussion about getting something in the Morgue)

Ambaire posted:

I didn't even think about the nerf bow, haha. I don't think I used it once for my entire first playthrough. Regarding the scientist bot thing: If you read the email, the guy mentions having to shadow the bot in. I think if the bot sees you, it won't go near the door. I ended up hiding on top of a shelf and watching the bot then sprinting to the door when it finally went through it. There is of course the 'mimic small object, move thru bars path' as well, at least I think that would work there. I didn't invest in any Typhon powers for my first playthru.

I also failed to think of the nerf bow. The thing I was trying to avoid was using any Typhon mods, but I ended up getting the level 1 mimic mod to do this, which I somewhat regret, but I shall live with my moment of weakness there. It sounds like if I hadn't done that I wouldn't be hunted by the Nightmare.

Was the science bot you followed local to the lab the morgue is in? The only one I ran into was in the hallway leading to the other side of that part of the level and it simply would not leave the hallway, whether I was near it or not.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I need to start this game over and see what happens if I choose different powers first. Reviving corpses as phantoms to fight on your side could be pretty neat.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
For the smuggling quest, what does he mean by alarm boxes? I keep trying everything thay looks like it could be that to no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Hahaha had to jump into the future from 4 or so pages back in the thread, so I hope nobody's talked this to death yet-

...Awh sunnuvabitch, got so excited to post after laughing at it that I forgot the exact line-

I dropped down infront of one of the Phantoms and skittered off before they could notice me more than a couple of white blocks worth and the Phantom said the stereotypical guard line of "What was that? Guess it was nothing, must be losing my mind"

I really need to keep a running list of little things I've found, subtle and not at all.

I still lust for glass death because of the way it breaks in this game. I mark areas that I've been through with broken glass in 'noticeable' ways to such a point that if I'm walking around in a cleaned out area and all the glass is pristine I start feeling,....Weird....

.....And awh, the turrets thank you for upgrading them!?
Now I'm going to wish I could go all Roguelike Lich but with a gaggle of devoted turrets. Maybe next playthrough.

:coffee: :stoat:

Naganted fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 6, 2017