Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
How many times do you want to fix the same thing before you decide not to bother anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/r9jwGansp1E

I am normally a loathe to share music with anyone particularly strangers over the Internet but I feel like this thread would really love this song, hopefully as much as I do.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 6, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://i.imgur.com/nulA3ly.gifv

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cause I can't remember how to link gfycat and their site never includes instructions.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It wasn't a Danish air force base I'm talking about, it was some BAE facility near Liverpool. I'm presuming that Tias's friend was one of the women arrested in the 90s for beating up a jet due to be shipped to Suharto's Indonesia.

I don't think this is the one. At least, her name doesn't figure among the charged - I might have to ask her.

Also, Danish politicians have supported every coalition action for ages, and gleefully explain the population that they don't understand global politics whenever we're caught killing civilians - so yeah, we're an imperialist state, no ifs or buts about that.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Tias posted:

I don't think this is the one. At least, her name doesn't figure among the charged - I might have to ask her.

Somewhere in the depths of gchq, a natural language processing system starts a database search.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The whole peace activist discussion kind of brings out an interesting question: if you are an anti-war person (against some specific war or in general, just to make it harder to answer), then what can you do to prevent the nation in which you reside from doing wars? Do you judge anti-war acts by how effective they are? How do you even judge an act's efficacity?

PS please try to divorce the question from the specific act of bashing a fighter jet with a hammer, as that appears a little too divisive to debate here.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The whole peace activist discussion kind of brings out an interesting question: if you are an anti-war person (against some specific war or in general, just to make it harder to answer), then what can you do to prevent the nation in which you reside from doing wars? Do you judge anti-war acts by how effective they are? How do you even judge an act's efficacity?

PS please try to divorce the question from the specific act of bashing a fighter jet with a hammer, as that appears a little too divisive to debate here.
lenoon happens to study these people for a living, where's he at

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Here's an article about a Finnish conchie who managed to change laws: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arndt_Pekurinen

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

If you live in a democracy you can campaign against it or join a political party with the intention of making opposition to the war a policy. Vietnam is a good example, where popular opposition to the draft and the war in general was one of the reasons for withdrawal and in particular Congress' decision to not fund South Vietnam after the US pull out. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

effective at what?

I meant the hammers were clearly effective at damaging the plane. Bit more than a little dent in the side, anyway.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

goddamn tankers die in some horrible ways

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

goddamn tankers die in some horrible ways

That always seems to be the trade off. Sure, you roll around and don't have to carry your stuff. But if the tank gets penetrated, you all die horribly

I read somewhere, maybe wikipedia that after World War 2, ex-tankers were the ones with the overall highest rate of mental illness. Don't know if it is true, but it does make sense...

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Re; Anti tank tactics

I'm phoneposting, but if you google 'panzerknacker fibel' you'll find a nicely illustrated German manual on how to knack panzers!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
This and the Cold War thread have convinced me that in the modern battlefield everyone dies to something launched three times over the horizon away.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
What is the origin of the widespread affection for the StuG?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Disinterested posted:

It worked.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It was produced in large numbers, it was effective, it looks cool/cute, it's unusual, weeaboos/secret nazis aren't slobbering its knob, StuG rhymes with Thug, thus allowing you to use the StuG lyfe maymay...

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Go on.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

close combat 3 for me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As above, it's cheap, it's built on a reliable chassis, it packs a good gun, it's as useful as an anti tank gun with a machinegun nest bolted onto it and also it can drive itself.

Cheapo, reliable, available, and versatile things are generally well received.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

It was a cheap, relatively well-armed and well-armored vehicle that, though originally designed for infantry support, was able to effectively engage armor more effectively than many other contemporary vehicles. Pound for pound, it was arguably a more effective combat vehicle than any of the big cats, in spite of being completely inferior on paper.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Disinterested posted:

Counterpoint to everyone else:

it's a lil' pancake tank that went doop doop

JcDent
May 13, 2013

One of the things about it is that they could use most of the tooling for Panzer III when the war got too big for its gun and turret ring. They also built StuG on Pz IV chasis, but that didn't catch on.

StuG was originally conceived as infantry support assault gun, roughly infantryman in height, good for taking out MG nests and other stuff that give fusiliers/grenadiers/etc trouble. Then they put a decent gun in it, which worked fine with its low height. And I bet it was super great on the defensive, camping for T-34s and what not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's also hilarious in Company of Heroes because it has a really low pop cost so you can fill the map with them.

Which if Germany had tried they might have done better honestly given the later tanks.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
How good were the Panzer III and IV? The Big Cats get the majority of the coverage but these two were the workhorse tanks, right?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Kiiinda? The Pz IV was actually artisinally crafted by a small team of expert craftspeople using only locally sourced components, so the Panther was only marginally more expensive despite being massive because it was mass-produced like every other country did. I think the numbers of panthers and panzer IVs was roughly equal on the western front. The Panzer IV held an advantage in not absolutely necking fuel and breaking down every five minutes, though, and was still reasonably good at supporting infantry, whereas the Panther was basically built to kill T-34s and it's anti-infantry performance suffered for that reason.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

spectralent posted:

Counterpoint to everyone else:

it's a lil' pancake tank that went doop doop

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JcDent posted:

One of the things about it is that they could use most of the tooling for Panzer III when the war got too big for its gun and turret ring. They also built StuG on Pz IV chasis, but that didn't catch on.

StuG was originally conceived as infantry support assault gun, roughly infantryman in height, good for taking out MG nests and other stuff that give fusiliers/grenadiers/etc trouble. Then they put a decent gun in it, which worked fine with its low height. And I bet it was super great on the defensive, camping for T-34s and what not.

Same reasons the Hetzer is widely considered another of the truly great AFVs Germany put out in WW2. Cheap, effective, and visually appealing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lil' dumpling gonna hetz.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

david_a posted:

How good were the Panzer III and IV? The Big Cats get the majority of the coverage but these two were the workhorse tanks, right?

They were both fairly solid, especially when you keep in mind they were pre-war tanks that were forced to fight heavier and heavier poo poo as the war went on. A real key to their success was their reliability and adaptability-the chasis of the Panzer III was able to support a wide number of support vehicles and other AFVs like the StuG even when the tank itself became obsolete, and the Panzer IV was good enough that, with significant upgrades, it was able to remain roughly competitive right up until the end of the war.

It's also worth noting that the Panzer III/IV featured one of the biggest advancements in tank design of the time, the 3 man turret. Before them, most tanks had a two-man turret with a gunner (Who would also be commanding the tank) and a loader. With the Panzer III and IV, the commander and gunner were split into dedicated roles, allowing them to focus on the job of actually commanding the tank/shooting enemy tanks far more effectively. It was such an innovation, in fact, that it's still a design principle of modern tanks today, and was quickly aped during the War by the British, Americans, and Soviets once the next generation of medium tanks started rolling out.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Another article on methheads pirates stripping houses warships for scrap.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

spectralent posted:

The Pz IV was actually artisinally crafted by a small team of expert craftspeople using only locally sourced components

It sounds like you're describing some overpriced hipster furniture or food or something

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm still amazed how French ended up with basically putting the FT-17 turret on everything. Two man turret is for weenies!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
John Brown did nothing wrong

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JcDent posted:

I'm still amazed how French ended up with basically putting the FT-17 turret on everything. Two man turret is for weenies!

If you think it's good and you can get the same turret on your fast and heavy tanks then it's a good idea to do so. If you are wrong then you have a problem of course.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Pz38(t)

Queue: Allied fictional tanks, crazy Soviet tanks, Hellcat trials in the USSR, Light Tank M3A3, Char B1 in German service, Renault NC, Renault D1, Renault R35, Renault D2, Renault R40, 25 mm Hotchkiss gun, LT vz 35, Praga AH-IV, Praga LTL and Pzw 39, T-60 production in difficult years, big guns for the KV-1, A1E1 Independent, PzI Ausf. B, PzI Ausf. C, PzI Ausf. F, Renault FT, Maus in the USSR, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, M4A2(76)W, PzII Ausf. a though b, PzII Ausf. c through C, PzII Ausf. D through E, PzII Ausf. F, PzII trials in the USSR, Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, SG-122, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, SU-26/T-26-6, T-60 tanks produced at Stalingrad, SU-122 precursors

Available for request:

:911:
Light Tank M5

:britain:

:ussr:

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv 81 and Strv 101
Swedish tanks 1928–1934 NEW

:poland:

:france:

:godwin:
Pak 97/38
7.5 cm Pak 41
s.FH. 18

:eurovision:
Tankbuchse 41 NEW

:jewish:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How did the Irish Revolution of 1919-21 succeed whereas prior revolts had failed?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Was the Hetzer actually as good as it was on paper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Grouchio posted:

How did the Irish Revolution of 1919-21 succeed whereas prior revolts had failed?
A lot of complicated inter-related factors. The improved weapons and communications technology made it very easy for the IRA to conduct effective attacks that didn't cause them any losses and for news of that to spread. It didn't hurt that the 1916 executions were widely publicised and that managed to overnight turn the average person from against the rising to regarding the British government as overly harsh and thus more likely to support the war. The Rising also showed that there were a lot of people willing to die stupidly if it made the other side look worse, especially if the other side was willing to resort to unsavoury tactics. The British government obliged with the Black and Tan formations which in retrospect probably get a raw deal what with likely being heavily composed of Western Front PTSD suffering lads. A lot of the leaders were also trade unionists so they managed to rally "the working man" alongside those who were appealing to an imaginary lost united Irish nostalgia state. It didn't hurt that the 1914 Home Rule bill had basically agreed to give Ireland some degree of independence anyway. So in the end it wasn't just some guys down in Wexford marching pike blocks at muskets, it was constant attrition of British power across the entire island for a protracted period with the ever-present threat of another Easter Rising being possible and with the British government having a way to spin it as talking people into accepting what they had already been offered. Ireland then just kind of gently wandered away from the commonwealth and eventually in the post-WWII anti-colonial atmosphere told the King thanks for his time, but we're gonna do our own thing now and fully formalised what was already an effective total independence.

ETA: comedy option! If you keep saying "now's our time lads!" every half hour or so, eventually you'll be right and it'll stick! :v:

ETA2: can't believe I forgot this :doh:, but being immediately post WWI the British public weren't super enthusiastic about the whole idea of having another war right next door. There was very little support for sending lads off to pacify a province when everyone knew someone who didn't come back from the last adventure.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 6, 2017