Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SaltyJesus posted:

Also, holy poo poo you guys, I've hit a mother lode. I have to let this one stand on its own. Imgur won't even let me re-host it there. So many interesting touches, so many crazy inscriptions, (The US Confederacy is labeled Novorossiya :v:, Lapland is Northern Novorossiya, "Unite Islam under the symbols of the Russian Federation") you'll definitely want to full-size this one. :captainpop:

I'm the US flag on the side of the Lunar Module that they forgot to photoshop out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

my dad posted:

Some choice quotes:

"Ukrainians = brothers. Ukraine = dead."
"Ramzan Kyadrov, head of the global caliphate. Unite Islam under the banner of Russia!"
"Chinese - our brothers!!!! <3 <3 <3"
"Gentlemen from Brussels want Europe from Lisbon to Vladivostok. They'll get it! A Russia from Lisbon to Vladivostok"

e: posted too soon by accident

"Russian flag on Mars!!! Hooraaaaaay!!!"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The stray KOSOVO JE SERBIJA at the top really makes it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SaltyJesus posted:

Proud and patriotic son of the American race that he was, he really should have read the words of his founding father Ben Franklin though:

Probably only ever seen Swedes with a tan (which would have been perfectly understandable at the time).

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Phlegmish posted:

I thought that was Dumas (who meant it as a compliment).

He definitely used it in The Races of Europe but it appears to be an older thought. I think the Dumas thing is a misattribution, this guy here quotes a possible source that predates even Dumas.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SaltyJesus posted:

Also, holy poo poo you guys, I've hit a mother lode. I have to let this one stand on its own. Imgur won't even let me re-host it there. So many interesting touches, so many crazy inscriptions, (The US Confederacy is labeled Novorossiya :v:, Lapland is Northern Novorossiya, "Unite Islam under the symbols of the Russian Federation") you'll definitely want to full-size this one. :captainpop:

loving amazing.

"America will lose the war to Russia in six hours. If Russia arms its Chinese brothers with assault rifles, bulletproof vests, and tanks, then two hours. We will liberate the Ukraine! After the Baltics, the path to the Atlantic Ocean will open! After that, Alaska! The Moon! Mars! The whole Galaxy... this is the time of Russia. Glory to Russia!"

Sparta is Russia

Java is Russia

The Maldives are also Russia, it's beautiful there

Thailand is also Russia, we go there for vacation :))))

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

SaltyJesus posted:

I've never wished I could read Russian more.

Is that a partially reunited Confederacy I see? Did Russia just decide the only part of the deep south they want is the southern half of Louisiana? Fair enough tbh.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I'm the Santa Claus in Sweden.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I think the joke with the South is the Novorussya flag is coincidentally the same as the Rebel Flag but without the stars.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t see the resemblance to the Rebel Flag.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Why would you willingly put together a propaganda image for your side that includes a Nazi mad scientist torturer-general?

That's Wilhelm "Deaths-head" Strausser over on the left there, from Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

I don’t see the resemblance to the Rebel Flag.

wow you totally owned some guys in 1866.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Peanut President posted:

wow you totally owned some guys in 1866.

Actually the thirteenth amendment was ratified in December 1865.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Bobby Digital posted:

Actually the thirteenth amendment was ratified in December 1865.
Not by Mississippi!

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
The first map should probably be labeled something like "Extraction" instead of just "Agricultural".

Not sure what to think about the fact that we track identically to :belarus:

A map of overlapping Greaters:

They hosed up on some of these, Greater Greece doesn't even include Northern Epirus smdh. . .

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 7, 2017

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

What's "greater" about a Greece that doesn't even include the entire Byzantine Empire in the borders of 555 AD

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cebrail posted:

What's "greater" about a Greece that doesn't even include the entire Byzantine Empire in the borders of 555 AD

Those Greater Greek borders are roughly everywhere that was majority Greek before the Greek-Turkish population exchange of the 1920's.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Old Great Bulgaria not old or great enough smh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SaltyJesus posted:

The first map should probably be labeled something like "Extraction" instead of just "Agricultural".

If the map showed extraction, wouldn’t Norway be a shorter wavelength? :confused:

I’m Roy G. Biv.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Hm, I guess I was mistaken. The data for those maps was taken from the CIA World Factbook and their definition of the sectors is as follows:

CIA World Factbook posted:

GDP - composition, by sector of origin

This entry shows where production takes place in an economy. The distribution gives the percentage contribution of agriculture, industry, and services to total GDP, and will total 100 percent of GDP if the data are complete. Agriculture includes farming, fishing, and forestry. Industry includes mining, manufacturing, energy production, and construction. Services cover government activities, communications, transportation, finance, and all other private economic activities that do not produce material goods.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 7, 2017

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mining and oil extraction are counted as industrial sector in those maps

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol at Greater Ukraine not including all of Crimea

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

vyelkin posted:

lol at Greater Ukraine not including all of Crimea

Ukrainian nationalists love the Crimean Tartars and respect their territorial autonomy

Circassians though, not so much

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 8, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SaltyJesus posted:

A map of overlapping Greaters:

They hosed up on some of these, Greater Greece doesn't even include Northern Epirus smdh. . .

Has anyone ever actually posited that Estonia and Finland should be in the same country?

e: Glad we got rid of Åland anyway.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jerry Cotton posted:

Has anyone ever actually posited that Estonia and Finland should be in the same country?

My Estonian friend says that Estonians think they're really Finns.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowy posted:

That's the saddest thing to imagine being :( At least I'm a mighty Mongol warrior.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Snowy posted:

He is an Eastern European, and will never become anything greater.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Estonia has been lobbying (more like begging) to be allowed to become part of the Nordics for years now. They really want to play with the big guys.

The Nordics seem to consider Scotland 'closer' to them than Estonia, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Estonia has been lobbying (more like begging) to be allowed to become part of the Nordics for years now. They really want to play with the big guys.

When they stop stomping on unions maybe we'll see :shrug: (Not that the current Finnish government wouldn't love to stomp on unions Estonia-stylee but that's still not viable.)

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Carbon dioxide posted:

They do sit in the Scandinavian council, they just don't get to vote on anything. Which i guess means they are closer to the Nordics then Scotland? Nordics like of Scotland might just be Anglophile tendencies.

Fun fact, someone petitioned to allow Sweden to take over Latvia again, because of all the conquering powers they are remembered quite fondly due to building some of the first schools and social programs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

White Rock posted:

They do sit in the Scandinavian council, they just don't get to vote on anything. Which i guess means they are closer to the Nordics then Scotland? Nordics like of Scotland might just be Anglophile tendencies.

Fun fact, someone petitioned to allow Sweden to take over Latvia again, because of all the conquering powers they are remembered quite fondly due to building some of the first schools and social programs.
As a Latvian, I can tell you that the first schools and social programs are not really remembered by many, if any at all.

However, here's your Latvian life - you wake up, eat some Swedish store brand (ICA) food you bought in a Norwegian supermarket (RIMI). Then you drive your car running on Finnish fuel (Neste) to the car wash at a Norwegian gas station (Statoil), on your way to the internet bank access point at the local branch of Swedbank Latvia, so you can avoid paying transaction fees on a birthday present transfer to your son's Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken Latvia account, as he is currently doing manual labour in near the Arctic Circle, earning 5 times the Latvian national average.

And that example can continue to go on. Tele 2, Telia - they all are here too.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
We drove through Latvia a while back and I was pretty amused by the endless Neste-Hesburger combos along the highway

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ras Het posted:

We drove through Latvia a while back and I was pretty amused by the endless Neste-Hesburger combos along the highway
Oh right :v: I just had a breakfast in the local Hes a few hours back. I remember McDonalds trying to push their way into the rural Latvia some 5 years ago, paying like 10 mil euros for a brand new shiny restaurant in 2nd largest town in Latvia. They shut down in less than a year, 0 chance to even try to compete with Hesburger. Ignoring bad location, customer service, product quality, and prices were all worse, by a wide margin.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As a Latvian, I can tell you that the first schools and social programs are not really remembered by many, if any at all.

However, here's your Latvian life - you wake up, eat some Swedish store brand (ICA) food you bought in a Norwegian supermarket (RIMI). Then you drive your car running on Finnish fuel (Neste) to the car wash at a Norwegian gas station (Statoil), on your way to the internet bank access point at the local branch of Swedbank Latvia, so you can avoid paying transaction fees on a birthday present transfer to your son's Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken Latvia account, as he is currently doing manual labour in near the Arctic Circle, earning 5 times the Latvian national average.

Not popping into Hesburger for a burgera komplekts: shameful.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not popping into Hesburger for some burgera komplekts: shameful.
Beaten like the mazais dubultā liellopu gaļas burgera komplekts ar sīpolu gredzeniem a few hours earlier.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Over here only people from Turku (and teenagers?) like Hesburger which only reinforces the Baltic connection since the traditional southwest dialects are the ones closest to Estonian [magic hands gif]

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Beaten like the mazais dubultā liellopu gaļas burgera komplekts ar sīpolu gredzeniem a few hours earlier.

There's something fucky going on here because it showed up for me as the first post after yours right after posting :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Over here only people from Turku (and teenagers?) like Hesburger which only reinforces the Baltic connection since the traditional southwest dialects are the ones closest to Estonian [magic hands gif]

:ocelot: ?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ras Het posted:

That used to be the case, but Hesburger is slowly figuring Latvian adults out, advertising salads and cheap coffee in the mornings (I think we have some sort of happy coffee hour between 10:00 and 11:00, when you can get a cup for 20 euro cents).

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's something fucky going on here because it showed up for me as the first post after yours right after posting :shrug:
That explains why I am seamlessly posting this morning, the server clocks have decided to bug you instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Latvia still has Rimi and Statoil? Rimi closed up shop in Norway and some Canadian store (Circle K) bought out all the Statoil gas stations a couple of years back.