Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'll be around sometime after 7 EST or so. I'll be down for CW if anyone's around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'll probably be doin' stuff from 3pm (pst) when the event starts until I have to leave for work or get bored or whatever.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Im up for some scouting in a couple hours too.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
are you feeling the hype boys? got my dropdecks ready, even for invasion but not sure if I'll be around long enough for that, the event starts at midnight here
CP-10-Q
WHM-6D
TDR-9SE
RVN-2X

And for scouting a GRF-2N with SRM-6's

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Can someone invite Woodio back to WoL? Or the other one idc.

lwoodio fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 5, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
it's time

lwoodio posted:

Can someone invite Woodio back to WoL? Or the other one idc.

message beefysupreme ingame, I can't invite you but we can group up and do some scouting hell yeah
mumble: mumble.goonrathi.com pw: mellon

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Things have been going pretty smoothly from the Clan side of things, for the most part. I had some fun today despite some really bad pubbies on the team...

1 player over 4 mechs did 308 damage total. :negative:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So... fun fact about Tukayyid: the only 'reward' that require contracts / allegiances are the victory/defeat banners (not counting the rewards for the top 3 units).

Everything else works just fine for freelancers, and whether you get the good or bad daily reward is based on which faction you played most games with that particular day.

So, in theory, this lets you ensure you get maximum Daily Awards every day (50MC/1M Cbills): play one game with each faction, then before logging out play one more game with the faction that looks most likely to win that day.

In practice, it seems that faction is gonna be Clans every day, so you could just contract with Clans. But this way lets you play all your mechs from both sides throughout the event, instead of being stuck on nothing but Clan mechs for a week. That's probably worth more than a banner if you're not a Clan fanatic.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I am now with GIRL that has 4 days left on Clan contact.
Is there any way I can drop with the IS goons at all?

God loving drat PGI could you make this poo poo any more obtuse?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, they did tell us about this event two weeks in advance and I posted in the thread about it as did other people, we could have coordinated this but we didn't.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

aniviron posted:

I mean, they did tell us about this event two weeks in advance and I posted in the thread about it as did other people, we could have coordinated this but we didn't.

Way to go man you really blew it this time

But on a serious note, serves me right for thinking there'd be an easy way to play this game with friends.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
We did some scouting tonight and our group of three pulled out 5/6 victories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXWsBiO8hV8

Here's the first match that is kind of the typical PHX-3S one. You just sort of stalk people and slowly poke them to death until they flip the gently caress out and make terrible decisions.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Commoners posted:

Here's the first match that is kind of the typical PHX-3S one. You just sort of stalk people and slowly poke them to death until they flip the gently caress out and make terrible decisions.

What happened during the loss?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Artificer posted:

What happened during the loss?

Caustic Valley. Didn't run the P-Hawks and got out brawled.

I also nearly threw our last game by calling the dropship early cause I thought we were on gather and not defend.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 6, 2017

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I've been Scouting with my Loyalty CN9-AH. I had previously been running AC20, 3x SRM4 and an XL engine but I figured that XL engine was going to gently caress me over in a 4vs4 so I swapped it for a Standard 180 and was slow as poo poo. I went back to the age old 3x MG 3x SRM6 Standard 250 :getin:

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 6, 2017

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

ZombyDog posted:

I've been Scouting with my Loyalty CN9-AH. I had previously been running AC20, 3x SRM4 and an XL engine but I figured that XL engine was going to gently caress me over in a 4vs4 so I swapped it for a Standard 180 and was slow as poo poo. I went back to the age old 3x MG 3x SRM6 Standard 250 :getin:

I use a Cent-AL with 3 LP. Eats legs up real nice.

So it turns out if you have an X-Box controller plugged into your PC, Mechwarrior Online won't function at all. Once I unplugged that, all I had to do was open 2 ports and bam it worked again.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Jumping back in, any GIRLs active Aussie time (+8 GMT) to group up? Seems slightly deserted when I've got time to play.

Also, what's the Clan scout meta? I used to Streakcrow because I am the worst, now I've got a MPL/MG Nova. My Clan mediums are on the low side.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Paingod556 posted:

Jumping back in, any GIRLs active Aussie time (+8 GMT) to group up? Seems slightly deserted when I've got time to play.

Also, what's the Clan scout meta? I used to Streakcrow because I am the worst, now I've got a MPL/MG Nova. My Clan mediums are on the low side.

MPLs too hot and heavy for scouting. Go for SPLs or Smalls on the Nova.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The Huntsman should be good for Clan scouting, is it?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

If you plan to brawl, yeah. Pack it full of SRMs and go to town.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

NihilCredo posted:

I would say that the Huntsman makes up half of the clan robbits in the Scouting queue, if not more, followed by the Nova.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

So are goons using the discord in the op or the mumble?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

organburner posted:

So are goons using the discord in the op or the mumble?

mumble

come listen to me heavy breathing because I can't find my mic sensitivity settings!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Cyrano4747 posted:

mumble

come listen to me heavy breathing because I can't find my mic sensitivity settings!

Can't you use push to talk?

imho voice activation should be mandatory because my keyboard is very loud.

(also got a ton of schoolwork so probably can't even join for the next few weeks)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Commoners posted:

it's beautiful

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

So... fun fact about Tukayyid: the only 'reward' that require contracts / allegiances are the victory/defeat banners (not counting the rewards for the top 3 units).

Everything else works just fine for freelancers, and whether you get the good or bad daily reward is based on which faction you played most games with that particular day.

So, in theory, this lets you ensure you get maximum Daily Awards every day (50MC/1M Cbills): play one game with each faction, then before logging out play one more game with the faction that looks most likely to win that day.

In practice, it seems that faction is gonna be Clans every day, so you could just contract with Clans. But this way lets you play all your mechs from both sides throughout the event, instead of being stuck on nothing but Clan mechs for a week. That's probably worth more than a banner if you're not a Clan fanatic.

:bang: gently caress at some point I joined as a (IS) loyalist and now I've almost certainly screwed myself out of a fair bit of cash :bang:

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I never got an invite. Can someone invite Woodio to girl or wol please?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

organburner posted:

Can't you use push to talk?

imho voice activation should be mandatory because my keyboard is very loud.

(also got a ton of schoolwork so probably can't even join for the next few weeks)

yeah, but it's also bound to PTT in game so everyone was getting bad echoes. I can fix it, i was just in a bunch of matches and trying to play rather than dick in settings.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

also we're running scouting right now if anyone's available

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
For anyone just trying to get the free poo poo, I logged on yesterday and being the only GIRL couldn't join the others. It took me a whopping 3 scouts to hit my 400 points. This event is haaaaaaaaaard.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
GIRL will sign with whatever contract WoL has for the event. If anyone fucks this up I won't even be disappointed because it's expected of you goons.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Anita Dickinme posted:

GIRL will sign with whatever contract WoL has for the event. If anyone fucks this up I won't even be disappointed because it's expected of you goons.

Before I left for my vacation, I set WoL to auto-renew Liao contract. I dont know if anyone hosed with that, but that's what WoL should be on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

Before I left for my vacation, I set WoL to auto-renew Liao contract. I dont know if anyone hosed with that, but that's what WoL should be on.

yeah, WOL's on Lia. The issue is that GIRL is on clans for whatever reason.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

Dissenting opinion: I don't think it is. IS brawlers are much more durable, concentrate their damage better, and fire faster. Against a Shadowhawk or Centurion or Griffin or Hunchback you will be eaten alive in a brawl if the other pilots are even marginally capable, and against good pilots you will be served your own rear end. Against things that aren't those mechs, they will be faster than you, and they will just run away and shoot you outside your range bracket. If you want to get close, use a SPL Nova instead. There's a reason IS held the scouting bar at 100% all last night. For clans, unless you plan to take ACHs and just grab intel then run, you are pretty much forced to take a Nova if you want to win.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cyrano4747 posted:

yeah, WOL's on Lia. The issue is that GIRL is on clans for whatever reason.

Because GIRL is set to auto renew also.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

aniviron posted:

Dissenting opinion: I don't think it is. IS brawlers are much more durable, concentrate their damage better, and fire faster. Against a Shadowhawk or Centurion or Griffin or Hunchback you will be eaten alive in a brawl if the other pilots are even marginally capable, and against good pilots you will be served your own rear end. Against things that aren't those mechs, they will be faster than you, and they will just run away and shoot you outside your range bracket. If you want to get close, use a SPL Nova instead. There's a reason IS held the scouting bar at 100% all last night. For clans, unless you plan to take ACHs and just grab intel then run, you are pretty much forced to take a Nova if you want to win.

Same. The huntsman doesn't have the speed that the crow had, and can't really keep up against enemies who don't want them to be there. The crow was deadly because it could do exactly that while also having the armor of a mech five tons heavier.

If the enemy team humors them and actually engages in a brawl it's good, but engaging huntsmen in a brawl is like slamming your face into a hot stove on your own volition: you didn't HAVE to do it, but you did it anyway because you're dumb.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Because GIRL is set to auto renew also.

:suicide:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If we're just going to slap everything on auto-renew, maybe hand over the reigns of WoL and GIRL to people who are more active?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The whole point of GIRL in the first place was for goons that wanted to play clan CW stuff, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

aniviron posted:

The whole point of GIRL in the first place was for goons that wanted to play clan CW stuff, no?

Maybe? It very quickly became a spill over for people who couldn't get into WoL because of the recruiting cost. For the longest time we were all running the same side so we could group together.

• Locked thread