Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zythrst posted:

Is there another good cat themed woman street level hero? It could be like Marvel's Cats of Prey.

White Tiger occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, no lockjaw?

I'm guessing Lockjaw is still rendering

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I said it in the genchat thread, but remember when EW put out the Days of Future Past promos and they looked like absolute poo poo? And then the movie came out and looked fantastic? I'm gonna delay judgement for now.

Clearly, if anyone's deserving of more second chances it's Scott Buck.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So this is the Inhumans? The far out, fantastic and crazy Jack Kirby created collection of weirdos from another dimension? Hole poo poo the Fantastic Four looked better. And by that I mean the Roger Corman version.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I said it in the genchat thread, but remember when EW put out the Days of Future Past promos and they looked like absolute poo poo? And then the movie came out and looked fantastic? I'm gonna delay judgement for now.

Except that the guy who is show running The Inhumans is the same guy who did Iron Fist, so Im assuming they'll just have Black Bolt throwing tennis balls and shouting "Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Except that the guy who is show running The Inhumans is the same guy who did Iron Fist, so Im assuming they'll just have Black Bolt throwing tennis balls and shouting "Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!"

I'm most looking forward to his dramatically saying things to show some sort of seriousness, despite the fact that his saying things at that time doesn't add anything to the scene. Then the rest of the show you'll be wondering why he keeps rolling up to drive-thoroughs but refusing to say anything.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know, I feel like if she didn't mention that she had super powered friends she could call for help it would have annoyed me way more. Like, I think that was more blatant in Jessica Jones when she outright offers to call Daredevil and Jessica turns her down for fear that Killgrave could use him as a tool like Luke, but its the way I interpret the IF stuff too. It will be fun when she finally gets to do it in Defenders.

"Hey, if we're going to a foreign country to fight ninjas and kidnap their leader... how about we bring a lawyer along who also fights ninjas ? Would that be a good idea ?"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really can't deal with how terrible Medusa's wig and dress are.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

I'm assuming his hand will glow and nothing else happens.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Medusa should be lip synching for her life with that Party City frock and harsh wig line.

Seriously, there's a problem when I'm presented with a cast and I'm more interested in what the two guys on the left (Gorgon and Karnak?) will be up to than the two people front and center.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy Goodbody posted:

At least they're terrible in a "I started working on my budget Halloween costume in August" way. The other 3 not in black leather jackets they got from a costume store are loving dire. Two of them clearly just cut up a rug they found at Goodwill to make their clothes, one of whom apparently went to Shou-Lao's Tattoo Emporium right after Danny Rand. And the other one remembered today was the costume contest and stopped by Walmart for some hair color spray on the way there. I mean, sure Medusa's hair looks like hot garbage, but at least it clearly took more than $2 and 1 minute to do.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Just wait till you get a load of those flaws... On IMAX!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I said it in Couch Chat but while I agree those look bad I'm actually kind of relieved that they're clearly "costumes" that suggest they're going with the whole weird "Royal Family" comic thing and not some kind of suit and tie real world people think. I had real fears of that from those initial character descriptions that sounded like they could be for any family drama on TV.

Again, I agree they look bad but I'm taking my silver lining and waiting to see how they look in the first trailer or whatever before I let it bother me.

To be honest it will probably never bother me. I'm not that invested in the Inhuman Royal Family, even as a guy who's favorite comic as a kid was Fantastic Four.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Iron Fist will be a lot better when he's in a show made by people who know how to do action, and the plot doesn't revolve around his stupid rear end. Hopefully the actor had some time to hit the gym, and by now can at least hold a tree pose without visibly trembling.

I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt since they gave him pretty much zero ramp up time, gave the actors the fight choreography literally minutes before filming, and only had one day a week that had enough time to do any workouts and practice.

I really, really hope that's the reason, and with some real training under his belt he'll be at least passably decent for TV work.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt since they gave him pretty much zero ramp up time, gave the actors the fight choreography literally minutes before filming, and only had one day a week that had enough time to do any workouts and practice.

I really, really hope that's the reason, and with some real training under his belt he'll be at least passably decent for TV work.

Nah. Hey, you remember that show Agents of SHIELD? It never got any better, and there's no reason to give it another chance. No, sir.

Gyges posted:

Everything other than humans is either basically a dog or basically a cat.

What about Dormaalocyons?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Nah. Hey, you remember that show Agents of SHIELD? It never got any better, and there's no reason to give it another chance. No, sir.

What about Dormaalocyons?

Pretty clearly basically a cat. Actual scientific classification is of no matter in this basic distinction. Unless you want to take an untenable stance such as hyenas aren't basically dogs or Red Pandas aren't basically cats.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Defenders characters, ranked from highest to lowest in order of fighting ability:

Blind lawyer
Zombie ninja lady
Self-taught MMA fighter
Martial arts instructor
Nurse
Alcoholic private investigator
Billionaire with 15 straight years of all-consuming training at a remote warrior monastery

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Is Luke the MMA fighter?

Both he and Jessica don't seem like they "know how to fight" so much as, "are extremely strong/hard to injure." Luke barreling into a fight and pummeling guys with no particular method is one of my favorite parts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

homullus posted:

Defenders characters, ranked from highest to lowest in order of fighting ability:

Blind lawyer
Zombie ninja lady
Self-taught MMA fighter
Martial arts instructor
Nurse
Alcoholic private investigator
Billionaire with 15 straight years of all-consuming training at a remote warrior monastery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqaCEPwWGtc

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Xealot posted:

Is Luke the MMA fighter?

Both he and Jessica don't seem like they "know how to fight" so much as, "are extremely strong/hard to injure." Luke barreling into a fight and pummeling guys with no particular method is one of my favorite parts.

Cage did all the fighting in prison, pre-super skin.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

What are you saying here? We're saying the same thing, I think. That like AoS this *can* get better. I want it to get better. I'm just saying the production team kind of stacked the deck against him looking like a credible super-hero in the Iron Fist and I hope that's not a trend they continue just so they can crank these out faster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xealot posted:

Is Luke the MMA fighter?

Luke is theoretically supposed to be a talented fighter, he was king of the prison ring before he got superpowers. It just is that his actor is only really good at 'kind of lumbering ox who gets by by being super strong and invincible' which totally works for the character if you ignore the prison-fighter thing

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

flosofl posted:

What are you saying here? We're saying the same thing, I think. That like AoS this *can* get better. I want it to get better. I'm just saying the production team kind of stacked the deck against him looking like a credible super-hero in the Iron Fist and I hope that's not a trend they continue just so they can crank these out faster.

When Scott Buck is your showrunner, it is pretty safe to mostly blame him.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

ImpAtom posted:

Luke is theoretically supposed to be a talented fighter, he was king of the prison ring before he got superpowers. It just is that his actor is only really good at 'kind of lumbering ox who gets by by being super strong and invincible' which totally works for the character if you ignore the prison-fighter thing

I kind of like the latter idea for Luke, that he's never learned how to fight because he never really had to, his abilities carry him through every situation. It allows for a touch more leeway in fight scenes (unlike, I don't know, Danny "can't fight for poo poo but is somehow a kung fu wizard?" Rand), and could even introduce some tension if he comes up against someone without his strength, but who can match him through technique.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ImpAtom posted:

I prefer to go with the nigh invulnerability and super strength made Luke lazy when it comes to fights so he's just not that technically good anymore. I mean, it is kind of hard to make yourself focus on good, clean technique when there's pretty much nobody who can hurt you and your casual back hand ends 97% of all fights.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
He even says in an early episode that acting like he's in a real fight would end with a bunch of bodies.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Gyges posted:

Everything other than humans is either basically a dog or basically a cat.

Cattle? Elephants? Snakes? Birds? etc. etc. etc.
Conversely I can see most humans being basically dogs (stupid) or cats (selfish).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

I'm being snarky about people who get an idea in their head and are never open to new information on that subject, especially when the initial info comes from a hive mind. It's not even directed at anyone or any group in particular.

I hope there is improvement in Iron Fist too, but I wouldn't call it a bad show at this point.

Toast Museum posted:

He even says in an early episode that acting like he's in a real fight would end with a bunch of bodies.

Who? Danny, or Luke? :twisted:

Seriously though, Luke, Danny, and Jessica would straight up murder normal humans if they didn't show at least some restraint.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Who? Danny, or Luke? :twisted:

Seriously though, Luke, Danny, and Jessica would straight up murder normal humans if they didn't show at least some restraint.

Lucky for the bad guys, Luke doesn't show any technique, either.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xealot posted:

Is Luke the MMA fighter?

That's kind of a subtle fun thing about Jessica Jones, in that everyone else on the show takes up martial arts stances and does standard tv fight technique poo poo, but Jessica just throws people and crashes through things, because why would you ever learn to fight if you're super-strong?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Matt and Danny have trained most of their lives. As have Elektra, Colleen, and others. Even Patsy and Claire have been training recently. Luke has like street fighting skills from his past but no martial arts training. And are Luke and Punisher ex cops? So they have some general training. But Jessica's just a random person with super powers who never even really intended to even use them so she's just winging it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Matt and Danny have trained most of their lives. As have Elektra, Colleen, and others. Even Patsy and Claire have been training recently. Luke has like street fighting skills from his past but no martial arts training. And are Luke and Punisher ex cops? So they have some general training. But Jessica's just a random person with super powers who never even really intended to even use them so she's just winging it.

...but she's still better than Danny.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

homullus posted:

...but she's still better than Danny.

". . . You're the worst Iron Fist ever" ought to be Danny's catchphrase.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I could buy that the life-long martial arts training in the mystical, insular mountain monastery just isn't as good as you'd think. When all you have to train against is other people who've had the exact same training, then maybe the quality of the training might have slipped without anyone noticing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

STAC Goat posted:

Luke was a cop, Frank was a soldier.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Luke's also had boxing training, remember the flashbacks of young Luke and young Diamondback.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, and he did the prison fights. So he knows how to fight to some extent of another That's just different from like the dozen characters with concentrated martial arts training with the explicit purpose of becoming soldiers in some ninja war.

That's actually something I kind of overlooked. Danny and Matt basically were both trained since childhood to fight the Hand. Stick might not have anything to do with Kun Lun but their purpose seems to be the same. And of course Collen was trained to be on the other side of that war. I don't imagine she'll factor big into Defenders but I'd me mildly curious to see what Stick and Matt think of her origin story.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Slashrat posted:

I could buy that the life-long martial arts training in the mystical, insular mountain monastery just isn't as good as you'd think. When all you have to train against is other people who've had the exact same training, then maybe the quality of the training might have slipped without anyone noticing.

This would actually work, would be neat if the showrunners ran with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly, if Iron Fist does get another season I hope they just either pretend Danny sucking never happened and hire a competent stunt team and show runner, or just have Orson Rand show up and tell Danny the "secret" real history of the Iron Fist double the kid's chi and have him good to go.

I assume by the time a second season of Iron Fist rolls by Finn will have had enough time to train and poo poo so he's not worthless.