Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

teagone posted:

Since T7 is built on Unreal 4, wouldn't that make it easier to port to PC? I'm just assuming this outta my rear end with no development knowledge whatsoever.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

MKX runs on UE3 and was made and ported by non-Japanese studios and they still hosed up the port.

i wasn't specifically thinking it running like poo poo if its a crap port, more netcode being bad on pc. it running bad is a good chance too. This is the first Tekken on PC right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It'll be fine.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

punk rebel ecks posted:

That has more to do with Warner Bros. than it does with how fighting game developers view PC ports.

This is true. Warner Brothers are a total poo poo fight with their PC ports these days, even if ostensibly they're building on engines that simplify the process greatly, they still have a lot of disdain for their PC releases, as evidenced in all the poo poo that happened over the final Arkham game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's the company WB was using to port their games that was garbage, IIRC. MKXL fixed most problems I had with the PC port, from how terribly optimized it was to the netcode (That one was on NRS, their original code was absolute garbage). Of course, then they just decided to drop PC for the Injustice 2 release.

Tekken has had good netcode for a while, due to it being 3D they can "cheat" a bit with input buffers to the point where it shouldn't be a problem. As for port quality, we'll see, Namco hasn't really done many ports as a developer, their published games have been solid.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Most of Namco's PC ports have been good (God Eater, Xenoverse/2, Assault Horizon, Berseria) with the occasional garbage (Symphonia). It will likely be fine.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Are there any pros that play non claw on Tekken? What is their button configs?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is there a technical reason all these games come out without cross play? Legitimately asking.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there a technical reason all these games come out without cross play? Legitimately asking.

It's difficult and takes a lot of dev time, then it's frequently broken and requires a lot of attention after release.

Edit: thought you were asking about PC cross play.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 6, 2017

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

With Tekken specifically it's because they can't support cross play between XB1 and PS4.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4xbox-one-cross-play-should-happen-tekken-boss-s/1100-6449618/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Chaotic Flame posted:

PS4 and XB1 use different security protocols for peer-to-peer connections and neither one wants to bend to accommodate the other, essentially - a couple games do PS4/PC, Killer Instinct does XB1/PC but you won't see any fighting games doing PS4/XB1.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

I am excited for some Tekken you guys

I too want to do a Tekken, I want to do an uppercut with my powerful friend the magical tiger

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Thanks for explaining, though I'm still not sure why there isn't more console/PC crossplay then.

To thank the thread

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 6, 2017

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Chaotic Flame posted:

Thanks for explaining, though I'm still not sure why there isn't more console/PC crossplay then.

To thank the thread

It makes sense for alot of games but there is some types of games where m+kb is superior to controller in every way. Like fps, rts, mmo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Chaotic Flame posted:

So they can sell two copies of the game instead of one.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Chaotic Flame posted:

To do console/PC crossplay you're basically on your own in providing a matchmaking service, since Microsoft and Sony won't let you integrate Steam or something with XBL/PSN.

You see this with SF5 and CFN, which is a hot loving mess and doesn't work because Capcom is much less capable of developing and maintaining such a thing.

If you don't have crossplay, you get to use the servers and matchmaking infrastructure provided by the platform which is much easier and cheaper.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Tekken7 is also built around arcade to arcade netcode and on a Windows like platform. The real question is how things around the game that are home version specific like menus, lobbies, and customization navigations work. Tekken tag 2 was good enough about those things so I'm not really worried about tekken7.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Hi I'm back! Testing something rq before putting a Tekken thread up, don't mind me.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

Hi I'm back! Testing something rq before putting a Tekken thread up, don't mind me.

Woah, the #FreeBrosnan movement worked

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

Woah, the #FreeBrosnan movement worked

:cheers: btw I stole your clips for the thread so thanks for those.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

:cheers: btw I stole your clips for the thread so thanks for those.

Np glad someone found use for them

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I just got an acceptance notification for my new-game-that-looks-like-my-old-game-but-isn't to be shown at Combo Breaker's Indie Game Showcase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-t6pybovq8

Hopefully ya'll hate it a little less and maybe Lupe Fiasco doesn't super hate it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

To thank the thread

i never got this win animation even with the correct characters

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

dragon enthusiast posted:

i never got this win animation even with the correct characters

Same but it gave us winking Ken and for that we must be grateful.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Brosnan where is the Tekken thread? Link it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Brosnan where is the Tekken thread? Link it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819725

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/gatoray_kof/status/861850861974077441

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol if Injustice 2 PC comes out in like July. So many fighting games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Injustice 2 PC won't be out for a long time, they'll probably wait for the GOTY re-release to put it out.

KOF14 is a good game.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hell yes

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Hell yeah!

Hell yeah!

Good time to be a gamer.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, how well would KOF 14 work with a gamepad? (PS4)? It's only 4 buttons. I don't see myself having the money to get a stick for a long time.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Roluth posted:

So, how well would KOF 14 work with a gamepad? (PS4)? It's only 4 buttons. I don't see myself having the money to get a stick for a long time.

no worse than anything else i imagine. so just fine

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Roluth posted:

You just set the face buttons to work as the four buttons, like any other game that has <x buttons, where x is the number of buttons on the pad.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Roluth posted:

Personally I find hops and superhops to be just about impossible on a pad but maybe you can do it

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

There's lots of pad KOF players, you'll be fine if you stick with it

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
There are a good number of people using pad for KOF. It's pad friendly.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Roluth posted:

When me and my bud were big on kof 14, he played pad and it was mostly fine. He did say he felt that hopping could be a bit imprecise at times though but maybe that's just him?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

very happy to see KOF14 getting more exposure on PC, it's a very cool game and SNK is doing great work. I hope they continue to tinker with it and make more characters and stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DoubleDonut posted:

Personally I find hops and superhops to be just about impossible on a pad but maybe you can do it

This was also my immediate reaction to the question.