Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Ambitious Spider posted:

So I ordered a handful of repros on aliexpress. Alien Soldier, Pulseman and God Medicine. It was pretty impulsive, but at 5 bucks a pop, I couldn't resist.

Be careful about anything with a battery backup as a gb repro. I've yet to get one of these with one present, making those four dollar RPGs a bit useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Be careful about anything with a battery backup as a gb repro. I've yet to get one of these with one present, making those four dollar RPGs a bit useless.

Yeah, I have the same thing with my MegaMan: Wiley Wars repro. I just consider any aliexpress order to be potentially flaky and don't pay any more than I'm willing to lose.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I know I'm way late but seconding Belmont's Revenge for Gameboy. This first GB Castlevania game is okay, but the second is great.

Speaking of the Belmonts, I beat Castlevania II for the first time a few days ago. It gets a lot of hate, but I actually liked it. It's cool looking to see their first attempt at having an open world castlevania. Main problem is just that it's obtuse as gently caress, but if you have a map to look at, it's pretty fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kid Fenris posted:

It's one of my favorite arcade games, and I'd own whatever system hosted a home version: 32X, Jaguar, 3DO, PC-FX, Playdia, Pippin. It wouldn't matter.

Sadly, no console port of Capcom's AvP came around. A 32X version was rumored, but I doubt it got far.

The SNES has a port but its pretty different, like a lot of arcade to NES or SNES ports. Its still kinda fun but yeah, that arcade AvP was a classic.

I remember there was a discount movie theater near my high school that had that cabinet, and I played it a TON.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Zaphod42 posted:

The SNES has a port but its pretty different, like a lot of arcade to NES or SNES ports. Its still kinda fun but yeah, that arcade AvP was a classic.

I remember there was a discount movie theater near my high school that had that cabinet, and I played it a TON.

It's a completely different game by a completely different publisher and developer, which is why there's not a home version of the arcade AvP game. Activision grabbed up console rights, Konami got a lot of arcade rights. This is the exact same reason why the Simpsons ports and the X-Men ports never happened.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

It's a completely different game by a completely different publisher and developer, which is why there's not a home version of the arcade AvP game. Activision grabbed up console rights, Konami got a lot of arcade rights. This is the exact same reason why the Simpsons ports and the X-Men ports never happened.

Ah, go figure. I saw it was a beat em up and always assumed it was Konami.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Ikari just updated the sd2snes firmware.
Nothing major from what I can see, just looks to be bug fixes.

https://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/833

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I guess I've been lucky to get a battery in all 3 Game Boy repros I bought so far. I would think they would at least put on a battery holder so you could add your own, like the $7 SNES repros are doing now.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

univbee posted:

That is an odd typo, but 2 hours also seems short if it's a true 2 hours.

I use the sleep function a bit (I guess I kind of assumed that it would drain the battery very slowly, like a modern cell phone or laptop does in sleep mode). Maybe that's the issue.

To get back on topic, I did some research on the Crazy Castle games (I find the licenseing wierdness that showed up in so many older games interesting) and came across this website. The author does a really incredible job of digging into the design of Gameboy games compared to NES titles of the time and it's definitely worth reading if you're into that sort of thing.

https://gameboyessentials.com/main.html

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Keeping wifi off also makes a huge difference, if you're referring to the 3DS.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rock My Socks! posted:

I use the sleep function a bit (I guess I kind of assumed that it would drain the battery very slowly, like a modern cell phone or laptop does in sleep mode). Maybe that's the issue.

If you leave either of those sitting around for a day or so in regular sleep mode, it's going to take a lot of battery even though it drains much slower than active use. Gotta turn them all the way off if you really want it to last.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

I just clicked on a random title and wow, this guy really goes into depth. Makes me wish that he wrote for Hardcore Gaming 101, or that their standards would at least be on his level.

Welp, now I got a whole new site to explore and devour. Thanks for the link!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hands up if you look in the bin of random cables when you go into a thrift store to look for GameCube component cables. Someday I'll find a set for 50 cents and then you'll all die of jealousy!

I did pick up a copy of Battlecruiser Millenium Gold, though, because I'm a sucker for punishment!

Fake Edit: And as I was writing this post, a package arrived from Kid Fenris as my prize for being the only person stupid enough to say a blank cartridge had Alien 3 on it. :v: He was absurdly generous and gave me a set of NES Classic sunglasses, a movie I have been wanting to watch, a deck of Song of the Deep playing cards, the only Amiibo I now own (Tommy Nook), and the big prize of Eighteen Wheeler: American Pro Trucker for the Dreamcast. Thanks, Kid Fenris! Super cool stuff!

Unfortunately, I have back to back finals on Monday and Thursday because the universe hates me and the worst two of them are on Monday (I mainly went out to get groceries after I finished doing a practice exam and decided to stop in at the thrift store as passed), so it will probably be Friday before I have a chance to play it. However, a full report on driving big rigs using the greatest video game platform known to man will be forthcoming (it's actually by Sega so I won't be shocked if it turns out to be a hidden gem, too).

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Random Stranger posted:

Hands up if you look in the bin of random cables when you go into a thrift store to look for GameCube component cables. Someday I'll find a set for 50 cents and then you'll all die of jealousy!

Until recently, I didn't realize these were rare. I got a set first thing when I got my GameCube. Same for the Dreamcast broadband adapter, which I guess they sold one batch of from Sega directly. Or at least that's what it seemed like, I had preordered one from them and from that point on it was always out of stock.

I don't think I ever actually used the broadband adapter except to rip a couple of tracks off Sonic Adventure 2. I remember eventually getting it to work on PSO, but you had to make a save file from a Japanese browser disc or something to get it to kick in since it wasn't an official option for it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rock My Socks! posted:

Thanks for all the advise everyone; I went to a local shop during my lunch break at work and picked up Wario Land II, Heiankyo Alien and Tennis for about $25. Hopefully the battery save in WLII still works (though I'm hopeful as my much older copy of Link's Awakening still saves fine 25 years later).

I played through Super Mario Land a few years ago...not sure how to feel about that one. It's not a bad game per se, but after playing 'real' Mario games for so many years the way that Mario handles just seems really off.

That's why you skip straight over to Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. It handles and looks much more like Super Mario World than the first. Good on you for getting Heiankyo Alien, more people should play it! And it's too late now but I hear James Bond 007 is a good RPG as well as Legend of the River King, Cattrap for a Fire n' Ice clone, and Revenge of the Gator and Kirby's Pinball for pinball stuff. Also if you can find it Bubble Ghost is still cheap and good I think. Oh and Solar Striker is a dirt cheap good shmup too.

Random Stranger posted:

That's kind of a fun topic that's nicely tangential here: what are the good arcade ports to the Game Boy?

I recall Space Invaders having a surprisingly good version with a second version of the game hidden inside it for when you play on the Super Game Boy. And I've heard Elevator Action on the system isn't bad. What else is there?

Elevator Action is freaking awesome and better than the NES version. I never liked Elevator Action until I played the Game Boy version it's that good. Burger Time is another really excellent port. Also:

Random Stranger posted:

Please don't post my retirement strategy ITT, thanks. I look in the bin every time but haven't yet found one but have gotten other useful cords cheap (composite Nintendo, component PS2 and Wii, etc). It's the easy way to get a system off of an RF cable at least.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Kid Fenris posted:

It's one of my favorite arcade games, and I'd own whatever system hosted a home version: 32X, Jaguar, 3DO, PC-FX, Playdia, Pippin. It wouldn't matter.

Sadly, no console port of Capcom's AvP came around. A 32X version was rumored, but I doubt it got far.

That rumor from Quartermann's page was what got me to buy a 32X. Which was dumb, but I loved that game, and was a naive teenager at the time. At least I got a nearly arcade-perfect port of Space Harrier out of it. :sigh:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I just clicked on a random title and wow, this guy really goes into depth. Makes me wish that he wrote for Hardcore Gaming 101, or that their standards would at least be on his level.

I dunno, in-depth doesn't always mean better; sometimes it's just wordy. Like I'm not sure a bullet list of Solar Striker's weapons helps put the game into perspective. Also the screenshots are badly scaled

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I bought a Dreamcast broadband adapter on eBay for $80 in like, 2003 when there were still some servers active. Looks like they sell for around $130 now. Not sure what you can do with them now other than stare at them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GutBomb posted:

I bought a Dreamcast broadband adapter on eBay for $80 in like, 2003 when there were still some servers active. Looks like they sell for around $130 now. Not sure what you can do with them now other than stare at them.

Phantasy Star Online mostly if those private servers are still a thing?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GutBomb posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were people running private servers just cuz.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's all sorts of private servers out there for games, and some of the games always supported hosting your own servers right on the Dreamcast, or on a PC. Some games still support using an in game browser to grab web images or whatever to use in game, and will do it over the broadband adapter.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
i found people on some message board playing duke 3d with saturn netlinks in like 2008.

http://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/app.php/page/servers

there are 7 people playing PSO right now on dreamcast

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The DC broadband adapter only works with PSO, Quake 3 and a couple other games, as far as I know.

Incidentally, Alien Front Online was recently brought back online after 15 years of inactivity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rYidc9E16I

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The DC broadband adapter only works with PSO, Quake 3 and a couple other games, as far as I know.

Incidentally, Alien Front Online was recently brought back online after 15 years of inactivity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rYidc9E16I

I remember playing a few online games of one of the NFL 2K* games but that might have been with the 56k modem.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Zand posted:

i found people on some message board playing duke 3d with saturn netlinks in like 2008.

http://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/app.php/page/servers

there are 7 people playing PSO right now on dreamcast

This is awesome. I'm pretty jealous.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Someone talk me into/out of dropping the $180 on a gscartsw_lite SCART switchbox. :retrogames:

Edit-- or getting a different/better SCART switchbox instead I guess.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 7, 2017

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Xenomrph posted:

Someone talk me into/out of dropping the $180 on a gscartsw_lite SCART switchbox. :retrogames:

Edit-- or getting a different/better SCART switchbox instead I guess.

I got a regular one last month and it made my life objectively better hth

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Any tips on burning Saturn games for Pseudo Saturn Kai? Ive generally had success except BGM is always static instead of actual audio making it unplayable. Note I use cdrdao to burn in Linux, maybe it's because of that (it worked fine on Sega CD stuff)?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there any way to run theme hospital on modern hardware? I loved that game as a youngin, and the last time I tried it on dosbox OS X, I had bad audio hitching issues. Like bad enough I gave up after the first level

Is the best bet still just dosbox? I suppose that was a couple years ago and it may be fixed by now?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 8, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any way to run theme hospital on modern hardware? I loved that game as a youngin, and the last time I tried it on dosbox OS X, I had bad audio hitching issues. Like bad enough I gave up after the first level

Is the best bet still just dosbox? I suppose that was a couple years ago and it may be fixed by now?

https://www.gog.com/game/theme_hospital

Looks like you can get it here and it works on OSX.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don't know about OS X, but there were patches around for the Windows 95 version to run it on 7 a couple years back, which I used then. Those patches will probably still work for Windows 10.

I think the GOG version uses DOSBox for the DOS version on the supported platforms.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

I think the GOG version uses DOSBox for the DOS version on the supported platforms.

I have the GOG version and can confirm that it uses DOSBox.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

That rumor from Quartermann's page was what got me to buy a 32X. Which was dumb, but I loved that game, and was a naive teenager at the time. At least I got a nearly arcade-perfect port of Space Harrier out of it. :sigh:

I have never heard of this game until now. Big thanks.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

falz posted:

Any tips on burning Saturn games for Pseudo Saturn Kai? Ive generally had success except BGM is always static instead of actual audio making it unplayable. Note I use cdrdao to burn in Linux, maybe it's because of that (it worked fine on Sega CD stuff)?

There isn't really a trick to it. It should "just work" for the most part. Do the CD tracks play normally on a different CD player? Do normal games work fine?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I have the GOG version and can confirm that it uses DOSBox.

SimCity 2000 is the same. In fact I'm fairly certain anytime a classic game has separate dos and windows (and macos classic) versions, gog always uses the dos version due to how much easier and more flexible the whole thing is to get working on all platforms via dosbox.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

SimCity 2000 is the same. In fact I'm fairly certain anytime a classic game has separate dos and windows (and macos classic) versions, gog always uses the dos version due to how much easier and more flexible the whole thing is to get working on all platforms via dosbox.

Yeah, and it's really disappointing. The DOS version is often just straight up worse.

Especially for something like SimCity 2000, where the DOS version is flat out missing a zoom level (since it has much more restrictive resolution settings), a speed level (african swallow aka totally uncapped), and has some extra bugs with things like the microsimulators. With a simple fan-made patch, the Windows 95 version of the game runs fine on 64 bit Windows and you could run it in something ridiculous like 4K if you really wanted to, just maximize the window or otherwise expand it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

Yeah, and it's really disappointing. The DOS version is often just straight up worse.

Especially for something like SimCity 2000, where the DOS version is flat out missing a zoom level (since it has much more restrictive resolution settings), a speed level (african swallow aka totally uncapped), and has some extra bugs with things like the microsimulators. With a simple fan-made patch, the Windows 95 version of the game runs fine on 64 bit Windows and you could run it in something ridiculous like 4K if you really wanted to, just maximize the window or otherwise expand it.

yeah but then the game is windows-only instead of being also available for gog's mac and linux users. unfortunately i think market forces won out there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

yeah but then the game is windows-only instead of being also available for gog's mac and linux users. unfortunately i think market forces won out there.

They could bundle WINE for most old games like that, which ran in Windows 9x but didn't really need 3D acceleration or whatever, in fact WINE on Linux will run Windows 95 SimCity 2000 without any patching (it's because what crashes it on Windows 7 and newer is a change to file load/save dialog boxes that doesn't cause a crash with WINE). Mac ports of WINE should also run it, though I haven't tested that.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

azurite posted:

There isn't really a trick to it. It should "just work" for the most part. Do the CD tracks play normally on a different CD player? Do normal games work fine?
Yeah normal games are fine, including on two different Saturns. Most are .bin / .cue and the only thing I could find to burn on linux is cdrdao. I just booted a windows VM with imgburn and mapped the cd burner through, it worked fine. I guess it's cdrdao's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sounds like it's not burning the audio as proper redbook tracks, if I had to guess.

Barely anything treats multi-mode disks right on Windows anymore either so it's not surprising.

• Locked thread