Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The only somewhat ok name change is the Lizardmen to Seraphon. But it's still a incompetent change because they already called something else Seraphon. Seraphon is the name of the Black Dragon that Malekith rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

The only somewhat ok name change is the Lizardmen to Seraphon. But it's still a incompetent change because they already called something else Seraphon. Seraphon is the name of the Black Dragon that Malekith rides.
:laffo:

No, Seraphon was dumb too. They did zero research and when they re-released them, the top google search results were all pokemon/furry tickle fetish stuff off of one dude's deviantart. It's still there if you scroll down a bit on an image search.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

:laffo:

No, Seraphon was dumb too. They did zero research and when they re-released them, the top google search results were all pokemon/furry tickle fetish stuff off of one dude's deviantart. It's still there if you scroll down a bit on an image search.

Oh I agree it's unneeded and dumb. (Particularly since they named something else Seraphon already.) But it still seems to be the name change that people complain about the least. And it can at least work as a race name like Skaven does. But it is unnecessary and stupid to do in the first place.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dexefiend posted:

Huh. I stand corrected. I figured it was all a big play to control brand identity.

Chill la Chill posted:

It still is. GW can bully the small producers who would do it but who would do that in the first place? Much easier to just call your guys generic Orcs so they can be found and used for any system.

Yeah. It's basically GW learning lessons from the Chapterhouse lawsuit.

-They could already trademark any of their lines by putting their brand first. E.g., "Citadel Elves" or "Warhammer Elves" or "Games Workshop Elves" are all totally fine to trademark.
-They could trademark a more generic word, provided they use a distinctive graphic and trademark that graphic. E.g., "Elves" drawn in a unique way.
-They don't need a trademark to reserve the distinctive characteristics of their products to themselves, protected by copyright law. E.g., make their elves distinctive and unique in some consistent and novel way, and nobody else can copy that.
-They don't need a trademark anyway. It has always been the case and will continue to be the case that any other company can make little plastic elf toys and can even explicitly market them as "compatible with" GW's products.

The key restriction is that no other company can "trade on" GW's trade. This is the effect that the IP laws (not including patents) are designed to produce: other companies may not create confusion in the market as to who produced or owns the products being marketed. So you can't package anything in such a way that a reasonable customer might think it was a Games Workshop product. Deliberately using someone else's trademark is de-facto proof that you intentionally tried to do that, so it's a pretty cut & dry protection, which is why companies use trademarks. But even if there is no trademark, or copyright infringement, you can run afoul of the law simply by creating the impression that your products are GW brand products. A judge is going to lean on the intent of the law very heavily in any litigation, as Chapterhouse proved.

So if you as a company decide to you can totally sell some warhammer-compatible elves. But if you call them Aelves, while you're not infringing on a registered trademark, in theory it gives GW a little bit of evidence to claim in a courtroom that you were attempting to trade on their brand. But since you are a good company selling good products and don't want to lose a lawsuit, you could just make your own brand quite distinctive, clearly mark it with your own trademarked logo, call your elves aelves, and put a disclaimer on your packaging and website etc. to make it absolutely clear you are not selling a games workshop product. At that point, GW would not likely have enough of a case.

e.g., calling them aelves and orruks and ogors only helps GW to solidify a case if you're already massively infringing, and in the meantime, makes their products sound really loving stupid.

But that actually probably gets them the effect they wanted anyway. Nobody else would put "aelves" on their products because why would you want to?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 7, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Are the Grand Alliance books collections of the free PDFs?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

berzerkmonkey posted:

Are the Grand Alliance books collections of the free PDFs?

Yes, for the most part

The Order, Chaos, and Death books have a few unique Battalions (1-2) and some fluff for each faction.

As they update/revamp factions these books are quickly becoming outdated. They were a "getting started with AOS gaming" kind of resource, but they hilariously missed the release window by like a year (because Old Games Workshop was a bad company)

I would not recommend buying them any more

New 40k books seem to be the same concept but available on day 1.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How good are Seraphon? A friend of mine had a huge Lizardmen WFB army that he gave to me to paint and play with.

I have:

Engine of the Gods
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
5 Kroxigor
2 Salamanders
2 Saurus Lords
2 Skink Priests
3 Terradon Riders
7 Saurus Knights
30 Saurus Warriors
21 Skinks with blowguns
25 Skinks with shields and spears.

I'm mostly just unclear on how to build an army around this. I definitely want to pick up a Slaan priest and a Bastiladon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zuul the Cat posted:

How good are Seraphon? A friend of mine had a huge Lizardmen WFB army that he gave to me to paint and play with.

I have:

Engine of the Gods
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
5 Kroxigor
2 Salamanders
2 Saurus Lords
2 Skink Priests
3 Terradon Riders
7 Saurus Knights
30 Saurus Warriors
21 Skinks with blowguns
25 Skinks with shields and spears.

I'm mostly just unclear on how to build an army around this. I definitely want to pick up a Slaan priest and a Bastiladon.

They seem to be from what I heard a pretty solid army that likes doing morale damage.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross-posting from the mini painting thread, getting hyped for Lizardmen in Total War: Warhammer 2, so I painted my first fantasy mini since my 6th ed. Tomb Kings (RIP :() :

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Well that looks amazing. Never stop painting ... or posting.

Well, actually dont post too many amazing dinosaurs like that, because I don't need a third army for a game I have yet to play.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What's the breakdown for basing materials there?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

dexefiend posted:

Well that looks amazing. Never stop painting ... or posting.

Well, actually dont post too many amazing dinosaurs like that, because I don't need a third army for a game I have yet to play.

Thanks!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What's the breakdown for basing materials there?

The big plants are a mix of the old GW jungle plants and some from here, and there's some resin bits from the old GW deathworld forest basing kits. Then I put down GW stirland battlemire all over, highlighted that, then a couple of different leaf scatter from secret weapon. The lichen, grass tufts and ivy are all from army painter.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
Somebody put stormcast through a phone app

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

Will I guess it's suicide for me then.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Pawl posted:

these are objectively better than the originals imo

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pawl posted:

I'm the guy in both of these pictures.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pawl posted:

These look like cool villains from a 2000 AD comic.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Crosspost

mango sentinel posted:

Still haven't made my lightbox and I'm in a bit of a rush to post these before work, but this guy is done. I may go back to redo a few highlights and fix the lens on the gun sight.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That's a good ratte right there.

I'd maybe give the warpstone one last highlight at the tips to make it look a little sharper, but it looks pretty clean and crisp all around.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a box of the 3 Liberators from GW this weekend to test out paint schemes. I'm going with them for my AoS army.

One of the models ended up with a fuzzy coat of white primer, so he got chucked. But the other two i'm pretty happy with.

The first one I was going for the Celestial Vindicators, but I ended up making his armor too much Temple Guard Blue instead of mostly Sotek Green. I am really happy with how the shield and the gold turned out on him though.

I'm not at all happy with the white, though. I can't paint white to save my life.

The second one I ended up going for a theme of my own design. I really like the Howling Griffins Space Marines and I've always loved the Yellow/Red tincture.

What do you guys think?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
How would you extrapolate the 2nd colour scheme to units like Paladins, Prosecutors, and heroes?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
AoS Skirmish is up for preorders this week, cheap too:

http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2017/05/this-weeks-pre-orders-aos-skirmish.html

And that's a great price on a double-sized Garden of Morr which remains one of the best GW scenery kits.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

How would you extrapolate the 2nd colour scheme to units like Paladins, Prosecutors, and heroes?

I think I'd work Gold into the heroes. I really like how the Lion-head shoulder pad ended up on the blue one, so for heroes (or any models that have that) I'd work gold onto those plates.

Since Paladins/Prosecutors don't have shields to really highlight the split, I could do alternating Red/Yellow on their war skirts. Same thing with Tabards/Capes. Tabards could be halved like the shield, capes could be outside red, inside yellow?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TKIY posted:

And that's a great price on a double-sized Garden of Morr which remains one of the best GW scenery kits.

For that price, I wonder if it will just be a printed copy of the AoS rules with a couple of extra scenarios.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Zuul the Cat posted:

What do you guys think?

I really like the red and yellow ones. Haven't seen a scheme like that on stormcast and it looks real cool.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

TKIY posted:

This is, like $8. Seems doubtful it will even have army construction rules.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

Probably gonna be $75, would rather pay $40 for a single but it shouldn't be too hard to split with someone.

I really wanna know what the weirdnob warband is. Probably just a weirdknob and like ten Ardboys. I want cheap Brutes :(

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

mango sentinel posted:

Probably gonna be $75, would rather pay $40 for a single but it shouldn't be too hard to split with someone.

I really wanna know what the weirdnob warband is. Probably just a weirdknob and like ten Ardboys. I want cheap Brutes :(

Apparently it is a Weirdnob, 5 Brutes and 5 Ardboyz. I'm tempted but I want to have a good look at the rules.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Thundercloud posted:

Apparently it is a Weirdnob, 5 Brutes and 5 Ardboyz. I'm tempted but I want to have a good look at the rules.

That's actually pretty decent I wonder where US pricing will shake out on that.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
$65, apparently

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/05/gw-next-weeks-prices-products-confirmed-25.html

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
WarhammerTV's showing off a pair of linked AoS Skirmish games on Twitch right now.

Some snippets I caught:

-Skirmish is more akin to Kill Team than Shadow War, more of a side mode than a full game in itself. Uses the same Warscrolls main AoS uses.
-Book is super cheap, £6 for the rules.
-Book comes with a list of points for every available unit. Base starting Warband is around 50 Renown points.
-No Behemoths, only units that have Plastic Kits are represented.
-Six scenarios in the book, super objective based.
-Warbands are persistent in campaigns ala Mordheim, Necromunda etc. No levelling up and units can't permanently die, but you do win points to spent on new dudes and gear/relics.
-Storywise game takes place in the ruins of Shadespire, apparently takes place after the events of the upcoming game Shadespire.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 17, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

SteelMentor posted:

WarhammerTV's showing off a pair of linked AoS Skirmish games on Twitch right now.

Some snippets I caught:

-Skirmish is more akin to Kill Team than Shadow War, more of a side mode than a full game in itself. Uses the same Warscrolls main AoS uses.
-Book is super cheap, £6 for the rules.
-Book comes with a list of points for every available unit. Base starting Warband is around 50 Renown points.
-No Behemoths, only units that have Plastic Kits are represented.
-Six scenarios in the book, super objective based.
-Warbands are persistent in campaigns ala Mordheim, Necromunda etc. No levelling up and units can't permanently die, but you do win points to spent on new dudes and gear/relics.
-Storywise game takes place in the ruins of Shadespire, apparently takes place after the events of the upcoming game Shadespire.

The Skirmish book has its own points listings?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Nebalebadingdong posted:

The Skirmish book has its own points listings?

Yup, each compatible unit gets a new points cost just for Skirmish.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Interesting, I did not expect that. Actually seems like a pretty decent deal!

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
Are the point values just chopped up from the GHB or did they actually go through the trouble to rebalance the game just for skirmish battles?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pawl posted:

Are the point values just chopped up from the GHB or did they actually go through the trouble to rebalance the game just for skirmish battles?

Looks like a full rebalance. Apparently Ghoul Kings are among the most expensive units at 22pts.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Would have to be new points since you aren't buying full units from the looks of it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2011

I dunno, seems alright for cheap. I wonder how the balance shakes out

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
I painted some villains for Warhammer Quest

I really need to get a lightbox. Anyone have suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I actually really like these.

• Locked thread