Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Speedball posted:

I need to start this game over and see what happens if I choose different powers first. Reviving corpses as phantoms to fight on your side could be pretty neat.

There seems to be several big things that you can do to change the plot so I'm figuring that I'll hit up some of the more unusual powers on my second run through. I know I'm missing stuff, so it will be interesting

I certainly want to double back on a harder difficulty next time. Four hours in and I'm breezing through pretty handily except when I get ambushed. Granted, I'm a save-scumming wimp so that's not too surprising, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm glad the wrench (at least when you're not specc'd to it) starts to suck really bad later on compared to Bioshock's Wrench of God

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The Walrus posted:

what are peoples strats for dealing with voltaic phantoms. EMP grenades sort of work but are really inconsistent, and they take a ton of ammo from range. Obviously getting anywhere near them kills you very quickly. I'm thinking about getting the electrostatic resist traits just for these guys

You can just hit them with a nullwave grenade and shotgun them to death. All they can do is flail at you while the nullwave is up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phoix posted:

You can just hit them with a nullwave grenade and shotgun them to death. All they can do is flail at you while the nullwave is up.

Similarly, just psychoshock everything forever. It's fairly cheap for a psi power and shuts them down for a while.

vvvvv I just wish it could stick to itself, having only one poof thick platform is rough sometimes.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 6, 2017

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
the gloo gun as a platforming tool is sooo good.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I was thinking of grabbing this today: are the PS4 controls still jacked? If so, does the Xbone version run fine?

I don't have a pc capable of running this.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It's incredibly loving lame that mimic tumors don't stack.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Soul Glo posted:

I was thinking of grabbing this today: are the PS4 controls still jacked? If so, does the Xbone version run fine?

I don't have a pc capable of running this.

PS4 controls still floaty unfortunately

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Mymla posted:

They do, they just don't do it automatically for some reason. You have to autosort every time you pick one up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mymla posted:

They don't automatically stack but if you reorganize they do.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Phoix posted:

They do, they just don't do it automatically for some reason. You have to autosort every time you pick one up.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They don't automatically stack but if you reorganize they do.

Well, that's good. Still lame, though.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Probably one of the many bugs they'll fix in an upcoming patch.

I've played some more and goddamn is the game amazing. I never knew how much I wanted to actually fly outside of a space station. Dead Space 2 sort of did it, but it may as well have been a glorified corridor.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

(<1 hour in spoiler) The effect when you break the glass in the intro is so cool. Seriously one of the most impressive little things I've seen in a game in awhile. I love that you can break that kind of glass anywhere and just look through a hole in the world. Bravo on that.

Is there a way to rotate objects in the inventory? These vertical psi hypos are ruining my feng shui

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me
So is the thing the devs said they programmed in that somebody could do in weeks or months EVAing to earth with your jetpack and infinite oxygen supplies? Haven't finished the game or even tried EVAing far but it's the only plausible thing that sounds like it could take that long even with thousands of nerds trying stuff in your game

randomcommoner fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 6, 2017

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

randomcommoner posted:

So is the thing the devs said they programmed in that somebody could do in weeks or months EVAing to earth with your jetpack and infinite oxygen supplies? Haven't finished the game or even tried EVAing far but it's the only plausible thing that sounds like it could take that long even with thousands of nerds trying stuff in your game

Don't think so, tried flying for the moon early on for kicks and there seems to be an insta-kill radiation barrier.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Digirat posted:

(<1 hour in spoiler) The effect when you break the glass in the intro is so cool. Seriously one of the most impressive little things I've seen in a game in awhile. I love that you can break that kind of glass anywhere and just look through a hole in the world. Bravo on that.

Is there a way to rotate objects in the inventory? These vertical psi hypos are ruining my feng shui

Regarding the spoiler, and my additional observations: The glass shattering was like a culminating point to something that ended up working really well, though it may have felt slightly underwhelming at the time. I mean, I was sitting in the helicopter and looking around at the landscape. I had mixed feelings about it - it looked nice, but also somewhat fake. Imagine my surprise when I was right, and that it was fake! Extra props to the dev team for creating a real set that makes sense, you can go through all the moving parts and see how they fooled you.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Hooray, just finished my first run! Very happy overall, but not sure how I feel about the ending: on the one hand it's nice that the devs actually payed attention to your decisions, that felt really good, on the other hand I'm not really sure where the series could go from here.

Welp, time for my Typhon-only Gendocide Run :getin:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

randomcommoner posted:

No idea, unless it's that thing they already talked about previously in the thread. Still, it's cool that the devs wanted to experiment and go beyond just plot-gating everything.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Why do I find myself getting attached to characters I know are already dead? Sorry about your girlfriend, Danielle Sho :smith:

This game is good and fun and everyone should buy it. It also stays around 130-140 fps at 1440p pretty consistently on a 1080ti :v:

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 6, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
90% sure that the prisoner you find alive is voiced by none other than Boyd Crowder hisself, Walton Goggins.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Holy poo poo, spoilers for the cafeteria sidequest in the Crew Quarters. So I thought it was really weird that the "chef" didn't recognise Yu at all, then when I went to his cabin, there are emails from the chef talking about how he wants to thank Yu for the mods to the cooking bot and stuff and when you find transcribes from him, his face looks nothing like the chef who gave you the quest (this I chalked up to the fact that alot of the dudes don't look like their portraits). Unfortunately, I thought he didn't recognise me because of all the memory shenanigans. Then the thing happened and now I have a whole other chunk of quest to do, really awesome that the game gives you the clues and you can act on them if you put them together (I am assuming the game reacts if you do so and the subsequent quest would be different).

All of the little quests like that are really good as well, you can find entire chunks of levels that I assume are completely missable and the rewards are pretty good like neuromods or suit/scope upgrades, I got one that makes me do way more damage to enemies I've marked and combined with my upgraded shotty I am one shotting even the elemental phantoms.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Regarding nueromod plans:

A bunch of people said its hard to find and you really have ot follow a series of nonsense. But actually Alex gives you a safe code during the mission where you get the typhon upgrades and right inside dr kelstrup's office.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I just got the looking glass thing up and running and finished the video. I'm anxious as to when I get alien powers? I feel I need them since the gloo gun does gently caress all versus phantoms and pistols just can't trade blows with them, I'm getting my rear end kicked.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

found the nightmare

:magical:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Regarding nueromod plans:

A bunch of people said its hard to find and you really have ot follow a series of nonsense. But actually Alex gives you a safe code during the mission where you get the typhon upgrades and right inside dr kelstrup's office.
Yeah, but you can "sequence break" and get them a ton earlier than that if you explore or are diligent about backtracking. One of the things I really like so far about the mission structure is that I'm pretty heavily allowed/encouraged to explore. By the time I'd found your spoiler, I already had Leverage 3, Repair 2, Recycling Efficiency, Suit upgrade 2, Necropsy, Hacking 2, and one or two other assorted ones I can't remember at the moment.

e:

DLC Inc posted:

I just got the looking glass thing up and running and finished the video. I'm anxious as to when I get alien powers? I feel I need them since the gloo gun does gently caress all versus phantoms and pistols just can't trade blows with them, I'm getting my rear end kicked.
Soon. You can head to Psychotropics and pick them up now. I'm not sure what happens if you try to go to the elevator like January tells you, but some dialogue made it seem like you'd get routed to Psychotropics pretty quick anyhow.

Also, some tips: The Gloo gun actually isn't too bad against Phantoms if you ambush them, but try using the environment. The Stun Gun gives you a decent window of time to take them out, but explosive barrels do a number on them. There's a shotgun available in the security office, which hits a lot harder than the pistol. Finally, Leverage lets you toss large objects at things and they loving hurt. A L3 object seems to take almost half of the Phantom's health off in one go. Guns are seeming largely superfluous at this point. And I haven't needed to use it, but the Q-Beam should be pretty decent against them, right? If you've gotten the Looking Glass repaired, you should have picked up the Beam.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 6, 2017

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

If you mainline the main story/quest then it'd be like 20/30 minutes from there, maybe less. You can also get a shotgun pretty soon. I think phantoms are supposed to feel like you're expending a shitload to kill them early on but you start feeling more even a bit later.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Thanks Palpek for evangelizing :) this game in the Steam thread. It's amazing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Am I missing stuff with the Q-beam or is it an end game thing? I swear I have piles of ammo for it but I haven't found the actual thing.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
This station is so huge. I'm overwhelmed because I want to explore every area. I don't know if doing quests in a certain order will drive me toward an ending so I'm just kind of exploring everywhere. Whoever compared this to open world is right. Once the airlocks start opening up it feels less like a hub with different areas and just one big interconnected ship. I thought it was Mario 64, it's more like a metroidvania.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Jeez, what's with the lack of reviews? Game's been out for a day. How do you guys like it so far? I could go for another System Shock style game I guess.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Am I missing stuff with the Q-beam or is it an end game thing? I swear I have piles of ammo for it but I haven't found the actual thing.

hardware labs has it very early on. you'll need to do what seems like the EVA tutorial. And that's just following the main signposts.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

SunAndSpring posted:

Jeez, what's with the lack of reviews? Game's been out for a day. How do you guys like it so far? I could go for another System Shock style game I guess.

Bethesda doesn't send out review copies in advance any more. Seems like a bad idea if your game is actually good. But then again, as hot as most games come in these days maybe it's actually better this way than getting lower scores on pre-day1-patch review versions? And who knows if first-week sales are still the be all end all they once were, seems like publishers/devs are getting more and more on board with the idea of having a longer tail on their games.

Time will tell.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

SunAndSpring posted:

Release day was the same for critics as it was for the general audience. There aren't any reviews (except for a couple of the "in-progress" type) because everyone's still playing the game.

gently caress beat

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

hardware labs has it very early on. you'll need to do what seems like the EVA tutorial. And that's just following the main signposts.

welp i'm doing a run without that gun and so far its ok. Shame I have to backtrack or it doesn't even drop it for me randomly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ok i've got stuck in and thoughts:
-jesus christ i think these guys have made system shock 3
-oh hey, thanks for the tip on the mimic tumors thread i've been carrying a single one around assuming since it didn't stack it was like a 1 and done sort of item
-I WANT TO GO TO THERE

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

oh poo poo I activated a mod that has a nightmare haunting me. will it keep hunting me or only when I do an upgrade?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Cowcaster posted:

jesus christ i think these guys have made system shock 3

new thread title

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Anyone had issues with guns disappearing on them? I've lost my fully upgraded preorder Shotgun and a partially upgraded stun gun with no clue as to why. Previous saves with those items are several hours ago.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So it seems like the early sequence break is probably go to Hardware Labs before office. Run to Airlock/EVA. Spacewalk to Power Plant Hull Breach and go through Power Plant to GUTS, then from GUTS to Psion.

At work, so can't check it, but seems sound. Only problems I can think of are

A. Is Hardware Labs unlocked before you go to Office.

B. Can you properly get through Power Plant/GUTS/Psion through that breach or not.

Not sure what you'd gain from it of course, but interesting idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

this game is so good so far. Enjoying just about everything about it.

I played for a few hours on normal but just turned it up to hard, since it felt like I was getting too many items. So far it feels a bit better on hard. More reason to think carefully but still no bullshit.