Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

it was in the news (facebook) so it was totally true. :eng99:
I really wish there were an easy way to convince people to stop living like this. Like ok I learn about plenty of news stories on twitter, but the key difference is that my first response is always to immediately run a search on it and see what public discussion/mainstream reportage on the topic looks like. I was loving horrified when I first realised that a not insignificant number of people get their news from Facebook and do absolutely nothing to verify it. If my own relatives are any indication, a lot of these people don't even bother clicking through and just rush into the comments to let everyone know they think it's disgraceful that Radical Political Muslims are murdering butchers who sell pork or whatever.

There's this perception that the internet is something like a kind of TV with more channels (no matter that "don't believe everything you see on TV" is a thing that people have been repeating since the dawn of that medium). See also the proliferation of youtube people who target kids and constantly drop n-bombs, and parents who either don't know or don't care. Also poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I appreciate all of the responses immediately pointing out that Bond is, in fact, a fictional character.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HAT FETISH posted:

I really wish there were an easy way to convince people to stop living like this. Like ok I learn about plenty of news stories on twitter, but the key difference is that my first response is always to immediately run a search on it and see what public discussion/mainstream reportage on the topic looks like. I was loving horrified when I first realised that a not insignificant number of people get their news from Facebook and do absolutely nothing to verify it. If my own relatives are any indication, a lot of these people don't even bother clicking through and just rush into the comments to let everyone know they think it's disgraceful that Radical Political Muslims are murdering butchers who sell pork or whatever.

There's this perception that the internet is something like a kind of TV with more channels (no matter that "don't believe everything you see on TV" is a thing that people have been repeating since the dawn of that medium). See also the proliferation of youtube people who target kids and constantly drop n-bombs, and parents who either don't know or don't care. Also poo poo like this.

Your parents in 1997: Don't trust anyone you meet or anything you read on the internet.

Your parents in 2017: I know this is true because I saw it on facebook.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Freaquency posted:

I appreciate all of the responses immediately pointing out that Bond is, in fact, a fictional character.

And the ones pointing out positive reviews for the Daniel Craig movies for giving Bond complexity and more emotions than "Suave badass who fears nothing and never fails."

Not that I think they're better "Bond films". Just as films, the character is deeper.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The saddest part is people aren't even getting their news from fake news website articles, they get their news from fake news headlines and nothing else.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

Your parents in 1997: Don't trust anyone you meet or anything you read on the internet.

Your parents in 2017: I know this is true because I saw it on facebook.

I posted a variant of this in response to someone's mom linking one of those clearly bullshit consumer panic things, and immediately got dogpiled by her entire family for being unnecessarily mean. Telling people they're being gullible is obstructing their oh-so-precious right to an opinion.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Bond drinks enough in the books to get brain damage. The author had hand tremors from drinking, so he couldn't stir his drinks.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Desk Lamp posted:

The saddest part is people aren't even getting their news from fake news website articles, they get their news from fake news headlines and nothing else.

This is my drat wife. She will be reading facebook, and start ranting about some bullshit. I ask for a link, and they article doesn't say what the headline makes you think it says at all.

Then a quick Google debunks both of them.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

This is my drat wife. She will be reading facebook, and start ranting about some bullshit. I ask for a link, and they article doesn't say what the headline makes you think it says at all.

Then a quick Google debunks both of them.

:sever:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I feel it's worth mentioning that the things she does click on are mostly recipes, and she accepts when i point out how wrong she is. Ill keep this one for now

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I feel it's worth mentioning that the things she does click on are mostly recipes, and she accepts when i point out how wrong she is. Ill keep this one for now
I'm interested to know how someone can debunk a recipe

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

HAT FETISH posted:

Ever watch binging with Babish?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

RFC2324 posted:

Ever watch Binging with Babish?

I usually pair it with Purging with Priscilla.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

:murder:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

HAT FETISH posted:

:colbert:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Someone I know posted an alfredo recipe that used goddamn mayo instead of heavy cream. I was all over that like the smuggest rear end in a top hat chef you've ever known, I couldn't let that one go.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Field Mousepad posted:

Someone I know posted an alfredo recipe that used goddamn mayo instead of heavy cream. I was all over that like the smuggest rear end in a top hat chef you've ever known, I couldn't let that one go.

What are your thoughts on boiled ribs?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Catberry posted:

What are your thoughts on boiled ribs?

Lol if you don't cook them in a 15 foot deep firepit for 27 days. Also baste them with liquefied human babies.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Big improvement over the Dali lama

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

At this point Piers has basically made a career out of repeatedly self-owning on twitter

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
This is the end of a long long back and forth from this guy, an acquaintance of a family member. He kept saying that the extremist mainstream media brainwashes the left, but he and his moderate, plucky right wing friends are just so calm and rational.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm guessing that's not actually the end.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

"Find the differences"

From my high school classmate who's now a "Venetian Independentist" :cripes:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mikl posted:

"Find the differences"

Venice the Menace.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Data Graham posted:

I'm guessing that's not actually the end.

Surprisingly no one has responded to that last one yet. There's another thread on the same facebook post between a hardcore libertarian and everyone else.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/860913450523996160

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This was posted in the DnD Picture Thread by WhiskeyJuvenile.

https://twitter.com/AEI/status/860135736628129792
https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/860553028792971265
https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/860601059726831618

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Five dollars they are counting every single person involved in mining rare earths, producing solar panels, and the entire supply chain, versus the one person standing in front of a single control panel in Coaly McSmokeStack.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mikl posted:

"Find the differences"

Venetia delenda est.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
What is a solar worker

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

What is a solar worker

You telling me you never heard of the brave pioneering solar workers of power relay station Antares 4?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Biplane posted:

You telling me you never heard of the brave pioneering solar workers of power relay station Antares 4?

Solar panel maintenance is no joking matter. Even on Earth it involves climbing to the roof. Why, that might be two floors up!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What is a solar worker

A day labourer.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mikl posted:

"Find the differences"

Italy should break into city states again because it would make maps cooler.

Also Germany.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

BrigadierSensible posted:

A day labourer.

just wanted to let you know that this just about killed me.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

What is a solar worker

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is there a thread for weird ads?

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/860986660162424832

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Missed opportunity to say "cuck of the week"

Or would you say cuck of the wuck? What could that word mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

It's actually...kind of awesome.
http://www.adweek.com/creativity/story-behind-amazing-and-very-real-ad-realtor-laser-shooting-eyes-171752/