Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Can't wait for the new stamina system! One attack is one point, every two minutes you regen a point. Complete dungeons to increase your stamina cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

People were making NGE jokes before but that's kinda how it's looking. Leave it to Funcom to take a somewhat stable niche game and then gently caress it up so hard that NO ONE will want to play it after.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Len posted:

This is why we get subpar experiences

Edit: Now they're saying just make new accounts that way you can switch accounts, play an alt, and send your main their fun points.

Yeah, the very small pool of testers they currently have are overwhelmingly broke-brain white knights who will defend the terrible decisions to the death. I don't have much hope for change.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
But don't take our word for it. Let's go to the responses:

quote:

Until we see the full economy for Favor, I won't decide on whether I like it the system or not.

As it is, I think 1000 favor is peanuts to repair for 10 deaths. The only part that worries me about that is end-game content, where death is basically expected. But again, until we know more, its much too early to worry.

quote:

just need to see the full game and all the ways of earning MoF, before I can say, "this sux"

Don't worry guys, it's not complete. Funcom will fix it! (This is the sentiment of a lot of posters).

quote:

Just to be really clear here - nobody owes you anything. You don't get a cookie just for showing up. They are offering a game that you can choose to play or not. If you don't like what they offer, you don't have to play it. There are lots of games I don't play for a myriad of reasons and not one of those games or their developers owes me a drat thing. I don't get to demand that they make a game I like just because I showed up.
You have asked to be allowed the chance to beta test SWL, for free. And nobody still owes you anything. You can walk away at any point, and choose to go do something else. But check the entitlement at the door.

We're all really entitled because we expect feedback to be listened to in beta.

quote:

As I'm a TSW GrandMaster I won't have any F2P problem myself

:smugdon:

quote:

I'm not assuming anything. I don't think the system is broken or needs to be fixed, I think it's fine as is. Maybe I'm wrong and the developers agree with you, I don't know. However, as it stands, if the system is meant to manage and pace your power progression, then its working.

:tif:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The don't-like-it-don't-play guy is the biggest loving idiot of them all. THEY ARE LITERALLY ASKING FOR FEEDBACK DURING THIS TIME! Don't like it, LET THEM KNOW!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, at least it'll be released on Steam. Which means they won't be able to sit a in a happy bubble persuading each other that all is good.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So how is this monetization going to affect dumb casuals like me who die a lot and rarely run dungeons?

No random loot sounds like it would make pve kinda pointless? Mobs are just obstacles to completing quests then.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Lawlicaust posted:

Most of the revamp seems designed to make the game as much of a cash grab as possible which is disappointing because the quality of life changes are great and the new combat is really fun.

This is probably good enough for me and a lot of other people. I am not particularly interested in TSW's end game, I would however like to play the game's story through without being bored to death by the tedious combat system. Im totally ok with throwing a few bucks Funcom's way if they can manage that much.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CoffeeBooze posted:

This is probably good enough for me and a lot of other people. I am not particularly interested in TSW's end game, I would however like to play the game's story through without being bored to death by the tedious combat system. Im totally ok with throwing a few bucks Funcom's way if they can manage that much.

You are probably the demographic that the revamp is going to work for the most. There will be some annoyingness with mandatory quests and level gating but it's really not that bad. I would absolutely recommend the revamp to someone who wants to see the story and play through the game with no intention of playing long-term.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I am going to go against the grain a little and say that the revamp with the cashgrab systems seems alright to me. You can play through the story without serious agitation or paying real cash from what I can see though perhaps personal mileage may vary a little with that depending on your choices and overall weapon preferences after playing a bit.

If you want to do lots of gear progression type activities then you will hit a soft wall where you either slow way down or pay to continue but that's not the draw to the game for me so I'm not really bothered by it.

Might change my mind once I'm actually seriously playing the relaunch and not just poking it with a stick though. :shrug:

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

They're gonna end up walking back the currency cost on death guaranteed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Amante posted:

They're gonna end up walking back the currency cost on death guaranteed.

I just started with phase 3 but apparently it's changed with each phase so time will tell. I really want to believe it's just numbers being thrown out but they should really post a thing saying that

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

I just started with phase 3 but apparently it's changed with each phase so time will tell. I really want to believe it's just numbers being thrown out but they should really post a thing saying that

They are rather quiet, aren't they?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

They are rather quiet, aren't they?

Yeah I've even been clicking the dev tracker to see their posts and unless they're a lot more active in the private sections they've being very hands off. Im surprised I still get to post honestly.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I think they're trying to avoid every thing said being picked apart. Like they want people's raw opinions I guess. Or they could be getting rushed so hard they have no time.

It seems like an odd time to try to rush things so I'm guessing it's the first.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The counterpoint to that was during issue 6 when the game was literally unplayable for a portion of the players Funcom never said a single word about the bug or anything. Joel made fun of people and then went AWOL for a couple months and then it quietly got put into a patch note.

I haven't been into Polaris yet. Is that lockbox still broken?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

randombattle posted:

I think they're trying to avoid every thing said being picked apart.

It could very well be this. It seems like the games original fan base is pretty wound up about the rerelease and just looking for an opportunity to revolt. A miscommunication about a design decision thats not yet set in stone could lead to some pretty bad PR which Funcom really doesnt want considering how so far theyve actually built some decent hype up about the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It warms my bitter heart to see pubs that shouted at me for my negative opinions raging about the relaunch being poo poo

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I'll never understand the "I am going to reserve my judgement until the game is finished" forum poster logic in betas. It's beta because things can still change. If nobody says anything about a stupid system, it goes live like that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CoffeeBooze posted:

It could very well be this. It seems like the games original fan base is pretty wound up about the rerelease and just looking for an opportunity to revolt. A miscommunication about a design decision thats not yet set in stone could lead to some pretty bad PR which Funcom really doesnt want considering how so far theyve actually built some decent hype up about the game.

If they game was so dead that it was relaunched then I'm sure all 80 people who still logged in regularly across all date/time zones will be furious.

Original TSW was never going to get any more content anyway. So it's this or nothing.

Question is: how appealing is nothing?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

DancingShade posted:

Question is: how appealing is nothing?

To be fair in the history of MMOs there are certainly good examples where "doing nothing" would've been preferable to a total revamp.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I thought they're gonna keep TSW running in parallel. So you still can have your nothing right there if you prefer that.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
So I went and unlocked another weapon today for 60K marks. For reference 9.5k marks is 10 dailies that take about 3 hours to do. So 7 days of dailies assuming you don't spend marks for anything else.

Turns out, I only unlocked the active skills. It's another 60k for passive skills. So it's 14 days of dailies per weapon. Or 89 days for all 7 assuming you don't buy anything else.

So between the cost to unlock a weapon (120K) and how long it's going to take to get new gear (since there are no drops), level that gear, get AP and SP (which are obtained significantly slower than in live TSW), casual players aren't going to switch weapons. What you start with is all you'll use. Even for more serious players, it will be at least a month to get a new weapon fully unlocked (Active/Passive), have enough points in it to not be poo poo, and have it upgraded enough to be useful. So you better hope that one of the starting classes has two weapons that you want because you are pretty stuck otherwise.

Edit: Also regarding gearing, someone posted the stats of fully leveled items. It goes:
  • Green: 1-20
  • Blue: 1-25
  • Purple: 1-30
  • Yellow: 1-35
  • Red: 1-70

Fully leveled Red weapons are literally 10x-15x the power (depending if you've upgraded them from Faded -> Luminous - Radiant) of fully leveled green ones.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 6, 2017

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Well they are trying to improve differentiation and remove ineffective abilities with the weapon types, so swapping frequently should be more for taste than necessity. I'm not saying it's the best system, but casual players would have to play a lot and save up decent ap and sp in the current system to be effective, so this isn't a huge departure. It would be nice if they at least left in some kind of weapon demo like the selection process at faction hq to let you test out playstyles before committing and maybe allow a custom class. Still, I'm sure existing players will get to be all FYGM since we don't have to worry about page unlocks.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lawlicaust posted:

So I went and unlocked another weapon today for 60K marks. For reference 9.5k marks is 10 dailies that take about 3 hours to do. So 7 days of dailies assuming you don't spend marks for anything else.

Turns out, I only unlocked the active skills. It's another 60k for passive skills. So it's 14 days of dailies per weapon. Or 89 days for all 7 assuming you don't buy anything else.

So between the cost to unlock a weapon (120K) and how long it's going to take to get new gear (since there are no drops), level that gear, get AP and SP (which are obtained significantly slower than in live TSW), casual players aren't going to switch weapons. What you start with is all you'll use. Even for more serious players, it will be at least a month to get a new weapon fully unlocked (Active/Passive), have enough points in it to not be poo poo, and have it upgraded enough to be useful. So you better hope that one of the starting classes has two weapons that you want because you are pretty stuck otherwise.

Edit: Also regarding gearing, someone posted the stats of fully leveled items. It goes:
  • Green: 1-20
  • Blue: 1-25
  • Purple: 1-30
  • Yellow: 1-35
  • Red: 1-70

Fully leveled Red weapons are literally 10x-15x the power (depending if you've upgraded them from Faded -> Luminous - Radiant) of fully leveled green ones.

Thought you might like this from the OF

quote:

1 week to unlock active new weapon.

-> you can have more mark by selling item 
-> it seems like there is other way to have more mark at level 50

No, it´s not too expensive

You don´t need to unlock both active and passive to test if you like a new weapon or not.

Lol this is bad and I hope to god Funcom doesn't listen to those kind of testers.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Thought you might like this from the OF

Lol this is bad and I hope to god Funcom doesn't listen to those kind of testers.

The beta forums are full of that garbage. In every thread about how lovely the new progression systems are there are several people yelling "Nu-uh, just grind harder." Some of their suggestions include: 1) making more characters to farm more dailies, 2)grinding dungeons that give no loot in order to get money for upgrading, 3) selling items on the AH for more marks to buy keys (when you are using the keys to open boxes with items???).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hahahaha loving Christ.

I was considered wealthy in TSW and this is a travesty to me.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 6, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah I really don't understand why the consensus is to just roll over and die.

I want to hope that we're just seeing a temporary system where there's going to be rebalances and I reference that in posts over there but the system as it stands now is poo poo and Funcom needs to be told that until they either change it or admit that system is set in stone and staying.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
In a thread requesting that dungeons have challenges that give marks:

quote:

That would be too much and hamper monetisation opportunities. The overarching goal of MoF is generate real world revenue by tempting players to buy arum so they can trade that into MoF to buy items/weapons/keys. I do agree that a Small MoF reward would be nice. SOmething like 1 to 2 thousand for three dungeons.

The dev team and marketing people don't have to defend the monetization. The players will do it for them.

I get it, they have to monetize a f2p game. But leave that to them to figure out. Don't defend lovely systems because that's going to just reinforce it is a good idea and acceptable.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Lawlicaust posted:

Welp, there goes any hope I had of this thing being worth keeping an eye on. And there I was hoping they'd recognize how terrible the bullshit endgame grind of TSW is and try to fix it, but apparently they love the grindy poo poo and worship the poo poo and desire nothing more than to smear the poo poo all over everything else.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Awwwe he remembers me! :3:

quote:

[Global] [Daestrus]: Oh gently caress. BillMurray is back. Weren't you banned?
[Global] [Starsmith]: bahahaha
[Global] [Starsmith]: emma is sucj a troll
[Global] [GoodBillMurray]: i was never banned from the game
[Global] [GoodBillMurray]: just facebook, twitter, the forums
[Global] [Daestrus]: That's too bad.
[Global] [GoodBillMurray]: ALL I WANTED WAS BUGS FIXED
[Global] [GoodBillMurray]: ohh darxide i missed you too fam
[Global] [GoodBillMurray]: good ta see you still wanna hate gently caress me <3

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I know I'm grasping at straws here but my only hope is that steam users will poo poo so hard over this system that maybe funcom will change in quickly :suicide:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The system sucks, but I'm not mad at Funcom (yet), I'm mad at the loving morons in beta giving a blind defense to it. It'd be one thing if they had played with it, and could offer constructive criticism or opinions, but all they do is just shoot your opinion down for being anything other than what the developer has made.

e: Also it's hilarious that a GM already is predisposed to ban/hate you for your persistent attempts at bettering a game you enjoy playing. gently caress you, you stupid rear end in a top hat. How dare you report bugs?!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The system sucks, but I'm not mad at Funcom (yet), I'm mad at the loving morons in beta giving a blind defense to it. It'd be one thing if they had played with it, and could offer constructive criticism or opinions, but all they do is just shoot your opinion down for being anything other than what the developer has made.

e: Also it's hilarious that a GM already is predisposed to ban/hate you for your persistent attempts at bettering a game you enjoy playing. gently caress you, you stupid rear end in a top hat. How dare you report bugs?!

That isn't a GM as far as I know. Just a random pub

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well that's quite a bit better then.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is the kind of poo poo I remember seeing in the SWTOR beta forums. These people don't give a poo poo about design, or bugs, they just want to play now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

pubs posted:

Bug Or Feature?

I've noticed over any number of playthroughs in TSW and now SWL that in Jack's Back 1/4 you will occasionally find some of the Ghostlights are inexplicably invisible. In SWL I'm seeing this a lot more. HOWEVER: the much maligned (including by me) Reticle has come to the rescue! You can detect the invisible Ghostlights with your Reticle. Is this a new type of "mini-game", sort of like a super slimmed down Investigation mission? Because giving the Combat Reticle an actual use (I.E. as an invisibility detector) would go a long way toward making it less unpleasant.

Unless this is something that was intended since day one and I somehow always managed to miss it.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, that's drawing a long bow.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I know I'm grasping at straws here but my only hope is that steam users will poo poo so hard over this system that maybe funcom will change in quickly :suicide:

Even if they do, it won't prevent the flop cause a good portion of the players who saw the terrible system just won't come back. They only get one chance to make a first impression and by all appearances they're trying as hard as they can to ensure it's a bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The forums are currently arguing over what "pay 2 win" means with there being two camps. One that the new system is trash and p2w and the other being that you aren't paying to win anything because tsw isn't a competitive game also you have the wrong definition of p2w

• Locked thread