Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm still hopeful we will one day get a MG Dynames; but I find it understanding why it didn't happen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Yawgmoft posted:

I wonder if they could make a MG frame, sell it separately, and then sell "skin" packs so it cuts down on the cost of making multiple master grade lines for IBO.

They're all supposed to be the same frame in the show, right?

Zodack posted:

The Gundams at least are all Gundam Frames, I can't recall if the rest of the "current use" mobile suits they used were designed based on the success of the Gundam Frames or not, but it would make sense.

Unrelated, I've bought in on an airbrush setup but haven't bought any paints yet. I'll want to practice before the inevitable botch of my first paintjob. There is a supply of Testors down at the local Michaels, which is really the closest hobby shop to me. But I've read mixed reviews of the stuff online when it comes to painting kits.

Darth Walrus posted:

A few Gundams have custom frames, like the Kimaris (and the Gusion, I guess, though that's less pronounced). Only the Barbatos Fourth Form and Flauros have totally identical frames.

Now, an MG Graze, on the other hand? You could go a lot of different ways with that.

regarding non-Gundam MS, I think in general the different types use different frames. Graze series shares a frame, Shiden's are a refinement on I think the Teiwaz mainstay units? The Rodi family has it's own frame that gets fitted with different armors depending on its intended use, etc.

Gundam frames I don't think necessarily evolved into any later frames, if only because their defining trait is a twin Ahab reactor system running with the two reactors in sync, which at a mobile suit scale is apparently a hell of a thing to get working (I think ship-scale reactors have an easier time with this?)

Lanz
May 30, 2013
oh hey here we go, non-Gundam frames in the Post Disaster:

Interesting, I like how Shiden and the Rodi frames are the only ones that seem to incorporate the cockpit block into the frame itself, and how the Rodi's reactor appears to literally just be bolted on as a backpack instead of more integrated into the structure.

EDIT: Rehosted
EDIT2: Rodi's also the only one that has standard feet as part of the frame, it seems
EDIT3: Correction, that's apparently the Teiwaz frame in general, not specifically the Shiden's, which is the newer Io frame

Lanz fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 7, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lanz posted:

oh hey here we go, non-Gundam frames in the Post Disaster:

Interesting, I like how Shiden and the Rodi frames are the only ones that seem to incorporate the cockpit block into the frame itself, and how the Rodi's reactor appears to literally just be bolted on as a backpack instead of more integrated into the structure.

EDIT: Rehosted
EDIT2: Rodi's also the only one that has standard feet as part of the frame, it seems
EDIT3: Correction, that's apparently the Teiwaz frame in general, not specifically the Shiden's, which is the newer Io frame

The Rodi is implied, though not stated, to be one of the oldest frames seen in the show. It's entirely appropriate for it to look that primitive.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Just pulled the trigger on Full Armour MG Thunderbolt and GM Sniper 2.

Hopefully arrive in time for my birthday.

Now have to find some decent sprue cutters. What's everyone use?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Puddin posted:

just pull them off the trees and twist when needed, you'll be fine!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Puddin posted:

I used some alright generic ones and then shaved the rest off with a knife, but I have to say I went in on some Godhands and those things are no joke. I'd seriously consider getting a pair if you can catch them at a good price.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, that's the thing with godhands. They're so far above the competition that they just kind of ruin things.

I still have my original pair from like 7 years ago or thereabouts that I took absolutely awful care of when I lived in what basically amounted to an oft-flooded shack, and even though they're chipped, rusted, and have about half the flat side of the nipper broken off, it still cuts better than a new normal hobby store brand.

Not that I use it or keep it around for any reason other than nostalgia at this point though.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I'm surprised nobody has weaponized them yet.

Lanz
May 30, 2013
So like, what is the deal with Godhand sprue cutters that makes them better? Just a smoother/easier cut or like, are we talking minimization of stress marks, etc.?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, it basically works like a knife and cutting board, which reduces stress marks. Arguably the biggest claim to fame is that if a nub is placed in a particular way, God Hands can cut it almost perfectly flush in a single go so you don't have to do any touch up. This accounts for a decent portion of nubs on a particular kit, but in my opinion not enough to be really worth it, I found myself just falling back to using them to do a rough cut and finishing with a knife because I couldn't be arsed to sit there working out which ones are godhandable and aligning it superperfectly so I don't take too much off. That said I can do much closer rough cuts with them without the stress marks reaching the part itself, making the final cut with a knife take much less effort/less likely to remove a finger.

EDIT: Also, the arrowhead-shaped gate design Bandai is using lately isn't God Hand friendly, for them to work as designed the gates need to be flat-bottomed and flush with the bottom of the part. The arrowhead gates don't leave enough room for the cutting board part of the nippers, leaving them skewed and increasing the risk you'll take a chunk out of the part itself.

Xy Hapu fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 7, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xy Hapu posted:

the gates need to be flat-bottomed

OHHHHHH WON'T YOU CLIP THEM OFF TONIGHT

OHHHHHH DOWN BESIDE THAT BRIGHT HEAD LIGHT

OHHHHHH YOU'RE GONNA SAND THEM TILL THEY'RE FLUSH

FLAT-BOTTOMED GATES YOU MAKE THE GUNPLA WORLD GO ROUND

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

couple new robots for the upcoming GBF thing:

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/05/gundam-build-extra-battle-shows-2-new.html

I like the ninja one, even if the back is a bit busy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

couple new robots for the upcoming GBF thing:

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/05/gundam-build-extra-battle-shows-2-new.html

I like the ninja one, even if the back is a bit busy.

I think it's a Wing Gundam, with an Exia-style forearm blade on the left arm. At the very least, it seems like the kit designs are being done by someone other than NAOKI, thank gently caress.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's a Wing Gundam, with an Exia-style forearm blade on the left arm. At the very least, it seems like the kit designs are being done by someone other than NAOKI, thank gently caress.

It's clearly an Impulse.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, that's the thing with godhands. They're so far above the competition that they just kind of ruin things.

I still have my original pair from like 7 years ago or thereabouts that I took absolutely awful care of when I lived in what basically amounted to an oft-flooded shack, and even though they're chipped, rusted, and have about half the flat side of the nipper broken off, it still cuts better than a new normal hobby store brand.

Not that I use it or keep it around for any reason other than nostalgia at this point though.

I have a pair. They're my best nippers, but I had the Gundam Planet ones before and it's not night and day difference. If I didn't have any, I'd buy God Hands. But I wouldn't buy them if you already have Gundam Planet or something similar quality.

Lanz posted:

So like, what is the deal with Godhand sprue cutters that makes them better? Just a smoother/easier cut or like, are we talking minimization of stress marks, etc.?

My experience has been they're very smooth and easy to cut (had to train myself to use less force). They reduce marks a lot, but I still find I usually need an x-acto to truly clean (you can kinda shave off with the god hands, which is really tempting, but I'm afraid I'm dulling my blade when I do that).

TaurusOxford posted:

It's clearly an Impulse.

Disagree. Only the shoulders really look like the Impulse. Chest is completely different, as are the ankles, waist/skirt, arms, head. Really, it's all different.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 7, 2017

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Build Fighters is beyond redemption at this point.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EVGA Longoria posted:

I have a pair. They're my best nippers, but I had the Gundam Planet ones before and it's not night and day difference. If I didn't have any, I'd buy God Hands. But I wouldn't buy them if you already have Gundam Planet or something similar quality.

My experience has been they're very smooth and easy to cut (had to train myself to use less force). They reduce marks a lot, but I still find I usually need an x-acto to truly clean (you can kinda shave off with the god hands, which is really tempting, but I'm afraid I'm dulling my blade when I do that).

Disagree. Only the shoulders really look like the Impulse. Chest is completely different, as are the ankles, waist/skirt, arms, head. Really, it's all different.

The lower legs and feet are HGCE Impulse, and the torso is just a more ornate version of the Impulse's torso. Also, the thing is called Ninja Pulse, as in Impulse. The thing is clearly a heavily modified Impulse Gundam.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I want more Build Fighters but I don't want more Try. It's a sad feeling.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Just play Gundam Breaker

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just play Gundam Breaker

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am excited for a Build Fighters OVA featuring characters from the first season and robot designs by literally anyone who isn't that guy who did all the terrible BFT Gundams

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Gunze Sangyo recently put out Godhand competitors, Mr. Pro Nipper or something like that. I have Godhands and Gundam Planet nippers and am eager to test which is best. Yeah, Godhands are smooth, but are not flush-to-part perfect but they make cleanup much easier. GP nippers allow you to do one cut and get to Xacto shaving.

The Gunze ones are single edged a la Godhand, so we'll have to see what transpires in next month's HLJ order when they arrive.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch: Don't ever talk to me or my weirdo UFO-lookin' son ever again

(still needs panel lining and topcoat)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
That's a good suit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, I'm curious, what do most people have as their 'order of operations', so to speak? Because I see a lot of "Still have to X or Y", and I'm genuinely curious.

For me, it's nip, shave, wet down the cut and rub out stress marks, panel line, glue, and place. Decals when the model is finished and then topcoat.

The less unbuilding I have to do, the better I feel, because I just know there are places I am never gonna fit my pen on a completed model.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I usually do a rough cut of the parts out of the sprue, assemble, disassemble and note where I need to clean nubs, sand and then do all that is required for painting.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TaurusOxford posted:

The lower legs and feet are HGCE Impulse, and the torso is just a more ornate version of the Impulse's torso. Also, the thing is called Ninja Pulse, as in Impulse. The thing is clearly a heavily modified Impulse Gundam.

The torso is a serious rip off of Wing Zero, though looking closer I can see a bit of Impulse in it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cut from sprues
Sand
Assemble
Get distracted halfway through
Put it off for a week
Buy more kits
Build those kits first
Put it off for another week
Buy more kits
Finish original project

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

EVGA Longoria posted:

The torso is a serious rip off of Wing Zero, though looking closer I can see a bit of Impulse in it.

It's literally the Impulse's torso painted dark red with the yellow parts and the jewel added on top. You can see the Impulse's cockpit hatch at the top and bottom of the yellow part.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Funky Valentine posted:

Cut from sprues
Sand
Assemble
Get distracted halfway through
Put it off for a week
Buy more kits
Build those kits first
Put it off for another week
Buy more kits
Finish original project

Wait, you go back to the original project?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You know, I'm curious, what do most people have as their 'order of operations', so to speak? Because I see a lot of "Still have to X or Y", and I'm genuinely curious.

For me, it's nip, shave, wet down the cut and rub out stress marks, panel line, glue, and place. Decals when the model is finished and then topcoat.

The less unbuilding I have to do, the better I feel, because I just know there are places I am never gonna fit my pen on a completed model.

That's basically my workflow, minus the glue, decals, and topcoat.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kibner posted:

That's basically my workflow, minus the glue, decals, and topcoat.

cut from spruce, touch up cut, xacto shaving, sandpaper if needed, assemble. decals and panel lines are done at the end by section

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
My current workflow:

— buy new kit.
— buy several more new kits.
— repeat.

Hey, at least I'm consistent.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kuvo posted:

cut from spruce, touch up cut, xacto shaving, sandpaper if needed, assemble. decals and panel lines are done at the end by section

:same:

Panel lining parts before assembly just sounds weird to me. I mean, how are you supposed to accurately gauge which bits aren't visible and thus don't need to be lined? :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 8, 2017

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Rough cut everything out, shave flush, paint details, assemble frame, paint details, topcoat frame, paint details, add armor, decals, paint details, topcoat everything, paint details, ink wash, despair because no matter which step I'm on the number of parts never seems to decrease for some inexplicable reason

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

My wife can't drive, so on Sundays we go up to her parents' to hang out with the family and then to a video game orchestra nearby. Since I have all that downtime, I bring kits with me and all my tools. I clip, shave, sand, and set them aside in Ziploc bags, and repeat for the kit each week. Then when the time comes, I do my building/painting/etc.

I usually have a big project that I'm working on - in this case I finally got down and started painting/assembling the Revive Hyaku Shiki. It's taking a good amount of time because I'm doing Alclad Mirrored Gold for Lexan, which is basically as close as one can get to reflective gold without electroplating. That I'll maybe work on an hour or two on weeknights and a few hours on weekends. Gotta fit in chores, cooking, volunteering, and other home moanership tasks too.

But in general, it's clip -> shave -> sand -> cement as needed -> pre-mask painting -> an overnight or two -> mask -> post-mask painting -> lacquer gloss topcoat -> decals -> panel line (enamel wash for engraved lines, Gundam panel line pens for raised surfaces and vents -> lacquer flat topcoat.

Meanwhile, there's a third-party Xamel coming out. What the heck is this thing and why the heck do we not have the third-party Tequila Gundam we so righteously deserve

Samueldecal will be doing preorders, if not already.

MJP fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 8, 2017

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm beginning to think love of G Gundam is restricted mainly to North America, if indeed not just goons, because I've seen drat little sign of it anywhere else.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Bimmi posted:

I'm beginning to think love of G Gundam is restricted mainly to North America, if indeed not just goons, because I've seen drat little sign of it anywhere else.

same with wing. i'm convinced it's because those dubs were on tv at just the right times in people's lives.

(aside from having their share of cool suits, they're both pretty terrible.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MJP posted:

Meanwhile, there's a third-party Xamel coming out. What the heck is this thing and why the heck do we not have the third-party Tequila Gundam we so righteously deserve

The Xamel owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

- Cut piece from sprues
- Sand
- Assemble
- Prime
- Disassemble
- Paint
- Acrylic gloss coat
- Lose a loving piece because I’m an idiot
- Hope I find it later
- Assemble all the individual parts, like arms limbs etc.
- Panel line
- get annoyed because I hate doing panel lines and have to do it multiple times for it look right.
- Decals
- Flat coat
- Weathering
- Hopefully find the piece I lost by now, if I don’t pose the kit in a way that hides the missing part.