Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Every time I see this app it reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6M8D41ZWU

so it gets my vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Amazing

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
What's a good ereader app where night mode is a proper black instead of just dark grey? Ideally would like to be able to customise font colour as well, plus synch with my other devices.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

What's a good ereader app where night mode is a proper black instead of just dark grey? Ideally would like to be able to customise font colour as well, plus synch with my other devices.

Moonreader (I have pro don't know if that's one of the features) does this in color settings.

E: says it does sync through Dropbox or gdrive, haven't tried this

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 2, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Another vote for Moonreader, which has custom colour and font control options that can only be described as excessive.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I'm looking for an app that you can add photos to and tag them, and then display the photos based on the tags. BUT this wouldn't be for my personal photos but something more like a customizable flashcard app for photos. Like for example, if I have a bunch of images that I'm using to study vocab in a foreign language, I could tag a particular photo as "food", "noun", "feminine", etc so I can make a photo set as small and focused, as large and inclusive, as I want. I'd want to keep these photo flashcards separate from my main photos.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Google Play Books. Probably doesn't have font color changing, but you don't have to gently caress around with dropbox to sync with other devices, and you can read on any device with an internet connection.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Vykk.Draygo posted:

you don't have to gently caress around with dropbox to sync with other devices, and you can read on any device with an internet connection.

You put in your password once if that counts as loving around, the paid version syncs to google drive.
The only downside to Moonreader I've found in 5 years is that it makes google books look like a baby toy and you can't go back.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Scudworth posted:

You put in your password once if that counts as loving around, the paid version syncs to google drive.
The only downside to Moonreader I've found in 5 years is that it makes google books look like a baby toy and you can't go back.

What exactly is it lacking? I've been using it for years and have never felt like I needed something that isn't there.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Taffer posted:

What exactly is it lacking? I've been using it for years and have never felt like I needed something that isn't there.

If there are any aspects of g-books you'd like to change or customize, whether they're tiny stupid ones or fundamental function ones, Moon+ will probably give you that.

If Moon+ were a font, it'd be OCD-Aspergers

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 2, 2017

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The first couple of time lapse apps I tired in app store had awful video quality, so I made a simple free one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.technologyisawful.simpletimelapse

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DuckConference posted:

The first couple of time lapse apps I tired in app store had awful video quality, so I made a simple free one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.technologyisawful.simpletimelapse

Bless you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

DuckConference posted:

Oh wow, this is actually something I've been looking for for a while. Thank you!

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

DuckConference posted:

Cool. Gonna try this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google Photos is probably one of the best apps/services Google has ever created.

Went on vacation with my family and Photos made organizing and sharing the ton of photos we took fun and easy.

Also, the stuff it creates from your photos can be pretty great, like this photo I took at Epcot with my 6P.

(as an aside, we decided to skip taking our real cameras this time. Wife has a Pixel XL and I've got the 6P, and we've got no regrets!)

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Anyone else have problems with Swipe? A week or so back, I was getting web views pushed saying success. Now swipe crashes on launch. I presume facebook created something to crash swipe since metal still works.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 5, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

Google Photos is probably one of the best apps/services Google has ever created.

Went on vacation with my family and Photos made organizing and sharing the ton of photos we took fun and easy.

Also, the stuff it creates from your photos can be pretty great, like this photo I took at Epcot with my 6P.

(as an aside, we decided to skip taking our real cameras this time. Wife has a Pixel XL and I've got the 6P, and we've got no regrets!)

Couldn't even wait for a monorail train to come around. For shame.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Is anyone having issues syncing Myfitnesspal with Google Fit? They synced fine together until yesterday (for me).

EDIT: Samsung Health seems to sync with MFP just fine.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 6, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nimper posted:

Couldn't even wait for a monorail train to come around. For shame.

Well poo poo. I didnt even think about that and now the photo is ruined.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
If I want to have the rooted phone advantages of Cerberus, do I need to reinstall the app from scratch and start all over again?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Help me out, goons: Does anyone remember something that I think Google was working on at some point, where you'd take pictures of rooms in a house with your phone and it would create a floor plan, or possibly a 3D model, or something? I feel like it was one of those news items about Google that popped up, and was probably available in beta or something, but I have no idea if it ever materialized into anything (because Google).

I do see a few apps in the store to do that and I guess it could've been one of them I had read about, but I really feel like this was a Google thing. Can't seem to find it though.

EDIT: Of course I just found it as soon as I posted this, it's Project Tango and it apparently only works on like 2 phones. Oh well, thanks.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 6, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sir Lemming posted:

EDIT: Of course I just found it as soon as I posted this, it's Project Tango and it apparently only works on like 2 phones. Oh well, thanks.

It was a tech demo for that specific hardware with all its special sensors and the like. That stuff might end up on phones at some point though

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Help me out, goons: Does anyone remember something that I think Google was working on at some point, where you'd take pictures of rooms in a house with your phone and it would create a floor plan, or possibly a 3D model, or something?

MagicPlan is the one I remember. Stanley also makes a floor planning one.

Search for MagicPlan on the play Store and you'll find lots of options. I used one to make a floor plan once. Worked well enough. I wouldn't use it for construction, but for visualization it works.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

baka kaba posted:

It was a tech demo for that specific hardware with all its special sensors and the like. That stuff might end up on phones at some point though

The Lenovo Phab2 Pro phone that came out in late 2016 has the proper sensors and is the first and only Tango-compatible phone so far.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

fishmech posted:

The Lenovo Phab2 Pro phone that came out in late 2016 has the proper sensors and is the first and only Tango-compatible phone so far.

I always wondered, is there a way to kludge Tango functions onto older RealSense hardware?

Asking as someone who owns Dell's gimmicky 8.4" tablet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Moto is supposed to be working on a project tango moto mod for their Z phones. No recent updates though.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Just got a bluetooth keyboard so I can write on the go. Should I just stick with Google Keep, or are there better longform writing apps I can grab?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

psychopomp posted:

Just got a bluetooth keyboard so I can write on the go. Should I just stick with Google Keep, or are there better longform writing apps I can grab?

Google docs is what I would go with over Keep.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

psychopomp posted:

Depends, I use both. Keep is a simple note taking app, Docs is more of a full fledged word processor.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Can anyone point me in the right direction of an app that lets me customize what sounds specific apps use to notify you for things? I've done some searching, but no real clear winner.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MisterBibs posted:

Can anyone point me in the right direction of an app that lets me customize what sounds specific apps use to notify you for things? I've done some searching, but no real clear winner.

What app are you wanting to customise? Most apps will let you set the sound in app.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Most apps will let you set the sound in app.

None of mine have that option, thus the point of asking. I don't want, say, a game app using the same sound as a text message.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

None of mine have that option, thus the point of asking. I don't want, say, a game app using the same sound as a text message.

I've never seen an SMS app that didn't allow you to change the notification sound and if it's using the same sound as a game it's because both are using the default sound. You aren't going to find an app to manage this because the solution is to change the sound from within the app. The closest you'll get is Light Flow which can do what you want but is probably overkill.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Could probably set up some Tasker redirect scripts to change the sound, but that's likely more trouble than it's worth.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm curious to know what lovely apps don't let you customize the notification tone.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

I've never seen an SMS app that didn't allow you to change the notification sound

It might be somewhere I'm missing, but the default one on my phone (Messages+) doesn't let you change your notification sound. It's the default one.

Thus the question about an app to do it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MisterBibs posted:

It might be somewhere I'm missing, but the default one on my phone (Messages+) doesn't let you change your notification sound. It's the default one.

Swap to Textra, customize as much as you want.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Messages+ absolutely lets you.

1. Open it up
2. Press the 3 bubbles in the upper right
3. Customize
4. Tones

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

Messages+ absolutely lets you.

1. Open it up
2. Press the 3 bubbles in the upper right
3. Customize
4. Tones

Well gently caress me, I was looking in Settings this entire time. Thank you so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah that's why I said 'in app' not in system settings.