Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Ghetto Prince posted:

Welp, just voted in a mayoral race for the first time ever. The old ladies running the voting said it wasn't a slow day, because they'd had 82 people in the past nine hours. ...in San Antonio, one of the largest cities in the nation.

I voted the first day early voting opened, and had to wait for one whole person ahead of me to finish before I could vote, which felt remarkable to me for a local-stuff-only election. So I think I agree with the old ladies. (I'm guessing "slow day" would have been nine people in the past nine hours.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SA's election might break 10% participation rate which would be a new record.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

skipdogg posted:

Basically everything is going into a runoff I have to make a mental note

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The video I posted earlier and was taken down... I found an alternate link. My city council candidate who I voted for here in Denton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5p-389tIQ

She lost to John Ryan 68-32. Too bad.

In nearby news:

quote:

The contested race for mayor in Dish was tight, with only three votes dividing the two top vote-getters. According to unofficial returns, Dish Mayor Bill Sciscoe had a narrow edge with 60 votes — 51.3 percent — compared to his opponent James Bradshaw's 57 votes, or 48.7 percent. Former Mayor L.E. Clark, whose name was also on the ballot, had bowed out of the race and endorsed Bradshaw. Clark received no votes in Saturday's race.

http://www.dentonrc.com/news/denton-county/2017/05/06/argyle-mayor-councilmen-defeated-saturdays-election
Important info here is that Dish, Texas is named after the Dish TV satellite network in exchange for free satellite dishes. L.E. Clark actually founded the town in 2000 and named it after himself (his wife's suggestion), but he was toppled by William D. Merritt, who became mayor in 2005 and renamed Clark to Dish.

The town, however, remains divided between warring Clark and Dish factions, and Bradshaw ran on a reactionary slogan of "Back to Clark, T.X.!!" Hence Clark's endorsement.

But unfortunately for Mr. Clark, with Sciscoe's reelection, the town should remain Dish.

Had I lived in Dish, I probably would've voted for Sciscoe who is a fracking opponent, and because fracking has polluted the town. Not to mention free satellite dishes. I also find inspiration in the actual words once spoken by Sciscoe: "Run. Run as fast as you can. Grab up your family and your belongings, and get out."

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 7, 2017

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The video I posted earlier and was taken down... I found an alternate link. My city council candidate who I voted for here in Denton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5p-389tIQ

She lost to John Ryan 68-32. Too bad.

In nearby news:

Important info here is that Dish, Texas is named after the Dish TV satellite network in exchange for free satellite dishes. L.E. Clark actually founded the town in 2000 and named it after himself (his wife's suggestion), but he was toppled by William D. Merritt, who became mayor in 2005 and renamed Clark to Dish.

The town, however, remains divided between warring Clark and Dish factions, and Bradshaw ran on a reactionary slogan of "Back to Clark, T.X.!!" Hence Clark's endorsement.

But unfortunately for Mr. Clark, with Sciscoe's reelection, the town should remain Dish.

Had I lived in Dish, I probably would've voted for Sciscoe who is a fracking opponent, and because fracking has polluted the town. Not to mention free satellite dishes. I also find inspiration in the actual words once spoken by Sciscoe: "Run. Run as fast as you can. Grab up your family and your belongings, and get out."

And Prop 1 passed. The olds win again.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

skipdogg posted:

Turnout yesterday was 11.32%.

2015 regular election was at 11.89% and the runoff at 14.12%.

Thought it would have been more since I actually saw other voters at the polls as well. There was even a line of 3 voters for a moment. 3!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/AP/status/861366910486708225
Southern hospitality*

*White pure-bred Americans only

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I assume it's worded in a way that when there's a Democratic President that tells them not to, they'll keep doing so?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Apparently a protest of SB4 is happening outside the Governor's mansion all night.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/861366910486708225
Southern hospitality*

*White pure-bred Americans only

I've seen that provision misrepresented elsewhere: it only applies to suspects, not victims or witnesses. :geno:

The more worrisome one is that it establishes criminal and civil penalties for law enforcement leadership that doesn't cooperate with ICE.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Everyone is a suspect

I can't imagine fining police because they didn't bother to check immigration status is going to go over well, and if they go whole hog on checking everyone then that just opens them up to potential lawsuits

Parachute
May 18, 2003
it's cool that our lovely governor wants to do the federal government's job of enforcing immigration laws on behalf of a republican president while simultaneously refusing to expand medicaid for political reasons entirely when a democrat is in office. go gently caress yourself.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/tex...like-mack-beggs

Will we ever be rid of these assholes?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

EwokEntourage posted:

Everyone is a suspect

I can't imagine fining police because they didn't bother to check immigration status is going to go over well, and if they go whole hog on checking everyone then that just opens them up to potential lawsuits

Declining to check status isn't the thing. Refusing to provide ICE with release date / court date / etc information about a list of suspected unauthorized immigrants is the thing.

It's also a narrower net so it's less of a clusterfuck.

This is actually a fairly clever bill in terms of mitigating countermeasures. :(

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
And now for some levity!

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/desperate-residents-of-austin-completely-surrounded-by-texas

Ha-ha, ha-ha :smithicide:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Senate Author Hall is laying this bill out right now, spinning it as a safety and fairness bill about steroid use generally & denied that it had anything to do with trans students.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Only 5 hours until the session ends. Is this just bill-stomping time or can any surprises get passed?

RE: last week's elections

both incumbents, both lost 58-42 to female democrats

in cedar park

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

Only 5 hours until the session ends. Is this just bill-stomping time or can any surprises get passed?

RE: last week's elections

both incumbents, both lost 58-42 to female democrats

in cedar park

Oh they lost to Democrats? I figured they were just other flavors of Suburban Republican.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Oh they lost to Democrats? I figured they were just other flavors of Suburban Republican.

Hmm. One seems to be pretty moderate and it may have been a proxy battle between her husband's firefighters against the police. The other is straight-up WilCo Dems. They also held a joint victory party at The Dig on Cypress Creek next to city hall so the first lady may be alright too

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Aliquid posted:

They also held a joint victory party at The Dig on Cypress Creek next to city hall so the first lady may be alright too

That place was already my favorite in the area.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Aliquid posted:

This is just the tolling of the first deadline (no more second reading HBs on the House calendar, still can have third reading HBs and all SBs) this poo poo train don't stop til Sine Die on the 29th :barf:

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Update on the housing issue in West Dallas. Everyone is getting evicted.

quote:

The Whole City Needs to Pay Attention to What Is Happening in West Dallas

The West Dallas residents facing eviction have been paying about $400 per month for their homes. According to a new housing study from BC Workshop, they are not alone. About 68,000 Dallas residents can afford to live only in homes that cost $400 or less. The study also found that the vast majority of homes available for those who make $25,000 or less — or a third of Dallas’ population — are in South Dallas. As a result, the mismatch in housing affordability pushes low-income residents farther from job centers, reducing potential for upward mobility, and further burdening them with high transportation costs and longer commutes.

You can peruse the whole housing report here, but let’s take a look at some more highlights, er, low-lights:
  • Homeownership for Dallas’ minority households falls behind rates of white households: 56% of white households are owner-occupied, compared to 31% for black households, 43% for Hispanic households, and 38% for Asian households;

• The median sales price of recently constructed homes rose from $145,00 in 2011 to $522,000 in 2016;

• 32% of homes in southern Dallas are valued less than $50,000, which represents just 6% of northern Dallas houses.

Frontline also looked into the housing issues as well and it features Dallas. It shows how cities are refusing low income homes to be built along with not accepting section eight vouchers.

Poverty Politics and Profit

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

quote:

The median sales price of recently constructed homes rose from $145,000 in 2011 to $522,000 in 2016;

Jesus 30% annual increase over five years? What the gently caress is going on there?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Jesus 30% annual increase over five years? What the gently caress is going on there?

People keep moving here

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/AP/status/863091668689530880

lol, good.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Seriously. gently caress this guy and his spineless incompetent bullshit.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

People keep moving here

To elaborate, It's almost as if we have a huge influx of people moving from a certain state where anti-vaxxer have their origins and they've brought their bad politics with them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RisqueBarber posted:

People keep moving here

lol this take

By far the most important reason is that mcmansions are way more profitable than starter homes.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I went out and voted for the Mayor in Addison last week, anyone else live in that area?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Not yet, but there is a very real possibility that I will within the next two months. You mind giving your thoughts on the area?

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Aliquid posted:

lol this take

By far the most important reason is that mcmansions"Luxury" Apartments are way more profitable than starter homes.

Fixed

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oh thank god, we can all rest easy. HB 3535 passed. It is now legal to hunt wild boar with a long rifle while riding in a hot air balloon.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Oh thank god, we can all rest easy. HB 3535 passed. It is now legal to hunt wild boar with a long rifle while riding in a hot air balloon.

Somebody page that goon with the drones, he can now upgrade from his golf cart. :getin:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dameius posted:

Not yet, but there is a very real possibility that I will within the next two months. You mind giving your thoughts on the area?

Addison is a great area to live in, arguably one of the best in the whole Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Go check out Addison Circle park and you'll see what I'm getting at, it's a kickin' place

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Doom Rooster posted:

Still gotta pass the Senate and get signed by the Governor, so not quite yet. Sorry, but you likely won't get to shoot those hogs this way legally til September.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I know there's a ton of sarcastic comments to be made on this development, but loving seriously, who's the ballooning enthusiast whose life was so empty without being able to indulge in both hobbies at once that they pushed for that legislation?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It's perfect material for an attack ad, a physical demonstration that they're full of hot air

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sorry for staying local but lol

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Parrotine posted:

Addison is a great area to live in, arguably one of the best in the whole Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Go check out Addison Circle park and you'll see what I'm getting at, it's a kickin' place

This is the first time I've ever heard someone say they like Addison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

sorry for staying local but lol

Man oh man