Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ehud posted:

Does anyone else feel like you get put on defense way more often than offense in QP?

Mine goes:

2 min queue
defense
half the players drop
a minute of waiting
re-queue and get defense again

I wish I had 2 minute wait times. Usually I wait 5 minutes in queue and wind up backfilling for a game which is almost over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Is it a legitimate strat to have a mercy that just permanently stays underground on the last point of king's landing? I think so.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

resistentialism posted:

Is it a legitimate strat to have a mercy that just permanently stays underground on the last point of king's landing? I think so.

But thats where all the wildfire is...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
How is the PS4 version of Overwatch? I don't have a PC that will run it right now but I'm reluctant to buy in to the PS4 version if it's going to get left behind on patches/miss out on features like Diablo 3.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BGrifter posted:

How is the PS4 version of Overwatch? I don't have a PC that will run it right now but I'm reluctant to buy in to the PS4 version if it's going to get left behind on patches/miss out on features like Diablo 3.

the console versions get updated frequently. not as much as pc tho since updates cost money and go through the cert process of sony/ms, but they are kept up to date

it isn't missing any features. you can even get the nexus challenge skins by linking your accounts

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Manatee Cannon posted:

the console versions get updated frequently. not as much as pc tho since updates cost money and go through the cert process of sony/ms, but they are kept up to date

it isn't missing any features. you can even get the nexus challenge skins by linking your accounts

Ok thanks. I don't mind waiting a couple weeks for a patch or anything, it just bugged me how they were adding so much new content to the PC version of Diablo 3 like ladder seasons and ladder-only uniques while the console version got nothing.

The Nexus challenge skins are exactly why I'm considering grabbing it. Loving Heroes and playing the Overwatch characters there makes me want to pick up OW.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
So is there a consensus on whether the Lucio changes actually ended up buffing him? As a Lucio player I find the small radius just encourages me to stay closer to my team, which has its own benefits. Radius bein visible helps too.

Also I can solo some 200 health people so that's cool

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Truecon420 posted:

So is there a consensus on whether the Lucio changes actually ended up buffing him? As a Lucio player I find the small radius just encourages me to stay closer to my team, which has its own benefits. Radius bein visible helps too.

I don't think there's a "consensus" but from what I've seen and experienced people see it at worst a tradeoff and at best a buff. Lucio has a much more prominent effect on the battlefield.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Yeah, that sounds right. Gettin headshots is easier. With the wallriding buff and eveything I feel that they increased his skill ceiling

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I really like Hanzo. I pick him in every match in competitive. I am a gold medal king!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

I really like Hanzo. I pick him in every match in competitive. I am a gold medal king!

You forget Hanzo is even on either team except when the clock eventually gives him his ult, which reminds me of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpkecYVRt_E

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I actually do instalock Hanzo every game. Eat poo poo anyone who tells me to switch.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Truecon420 posted:

it's less a buff/nerf and more of a shift of focus. The biggest difference is when you're making your team, the guy holding the short straw who has to heal for a group of Hanzos, Widowmakers and Genjis is more likely to reach for Mercy than Lucio

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Just had an interesting bug, figured I'd share here in case anyone else runs into it.

I was playing a custom game a few days ago, and my ping started skyrocketing randomly. Normally I get like 38-41 or so, but it was shooting way off into the stratosphere to like 300 - 1200 when it got bad. I assumed it was the powerline adapter I'd bought (pro tip: don't buy TP-Link, they're loving garbage), as it was starting to drop internet connection altogether. Un/replugging it fixed it when it dropped the connection, but it always started acting up again later so I just got a different brand adapter off of amazon. That came today and works fine for everything...except overwatch, which continued to have gigantic ping spikes regardless. As far as I know I hadn't installed anything that would interfere or updated any drivers or whatever that would mess with this, so I was kind of confused.

After googling for a bit it turns out the "solution" is to start overwatch.exe from the install directory directly rather than through battle.net, which completely fixed the problem and brought me to my usual ping. I have no idea why it works, but it's such a weird solution I figured I'd share. I think you have to enter your username/password every time if you start the .exe directly, but keepass' autofill worked on the login screen after I cloned an entry to my battle.net info so that's not an issue for me at least.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

KyloWinter posted:

I actually do instalock Hanzo every game. Eat poo poo anyone who tells me to switch.

Having fun playing this team based game?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

KyloWinter posted:

I never tell people to switch. There's no bad hero picks, just bad players. And if you're a bad player I'll politely ask you to leave.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Theta Zero posted:

I never tell people to switch. There's no bad hero picks, just bad players. And if you're a bad player I'll politely ask you to leave.

Hail Satan

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Now that's a bad player I'd want on my team.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Mr Beens posted:

Having fun playing this team based game?

Ya it's really fun

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Playing Hanzo and shooting arrows just generally towards the enemy team until you headshot a support randomly is really really fun.

Basically when you play Hanzo in competitive the game actually becomes interesting, I almost fist pump when I manage to shoot an enemy Pharah on air. Bullshit Scatter Arrow kills are also hilarious.

Like yeah I could switch to something more consistent like Soldier 76 but goddamn that hero is boring as hell.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

frajaq posted:

Playing Hanzo and shooting arrows just generally towards the enemy team until you headshot a support randomly is really really fun.

Basically when you play Hanzo in competitive the game actually becomes interesting, I almost fist pump when I manage to shoot an enemy Pharah on air. Bullshit Scatter Arrow kills are also hilarious.

Like yeah I could switch to something more consistent like Soldier 76 but goddamn that hero is boring as hell.

This man gets it. I got 30% accuracy in comp tho. Pharah is hard to hit I'm getting better at it though. Also people who pick soldier are scum failsons.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 7, 2017

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Does anyone else just become a Hanzo savant like 1 out of every 30 games they pick him? It's really weird

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Does anyone else just become a Hanzo savant like 1 out of every 30 games they pick him? It's really weird

I go through streaks where one character just absolutely clicks for me and I become a goddamn monster and trash at something I play normally.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Yeah but only in mystery heroes where no one is countering me. I got him the other day and got like 18 kills with my one life on Volskaya attack.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

It's probably because you lost the last 29 games and your MMR gave up and placed you with trainer bots.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's probably because you lost the last 29 games and your MMR gave up and placed you with trainer bots.

Rude!!! I mean going from "reasonable contributor" to "hard carry"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When that happens I try to give credit where it's due and thank the other team for standing in front of my arrows.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I haven't played OW in a couple of months but when I started up again a couple of days ago I was suddenly able to play McCree, even though I had about 10 minutes total playtime as him prior to my return.

I also have moments of clarity as Mei and become a headshot-locking icicle-spewing murder machine. Nothing quite like clearing an area, looking around, voicing "Yay!" and building a lil celebratory snowman. :3:

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
in a game that is ultimately about killing the other team in order to achieve objectives, a lot of people seem to have a lot of anger at the characters designed purely for killing the enemy team and nothing else

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
That is because those characters generally are very bad at capturing/holding objectives which is how you actually win.

It was the same deal in TF2. You had loads and loads of snipers standing around and feeling like king poo poo when they got a kill and pubstar spies trying the same ol' stairstab over and over again. It only works if you're defending and the attacking team is braindead enough not to have a couple of actual offensive classes capable of dealing damage and a medic keeping them alive. Most of the time snipers are a waste of a player slot unless it's the one sniper in a million who actually consistently gets picks all the time and that is rare enough that I don't want to play lottery with that.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Laputanmachine posted:

That is because those characters generally are very bad at capturing/holding objectives which is how you actually win.

It was the same deal in TF2. You had loads and loads of snipers standing around and feeling like king poo poo when they got a kill and pubstar spies trying the same ol' stairstab over and over again. It only works if you're defending and the attacking team is braindead enough not to have a couple of actual offensive classes capable of dealing damage and a medic keeping them alive. Most of the time snipers are a waste of a player slot unless it's the one sniper in a million who actually consistently gets picks all the time and that is rare enough that I don't want to play lottery with that.

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. It really has been the same issue since TF2. At heart it's a team based objective game. Ana is a good example of a "sniper" who can work and support a team if they're not getting picks, and who sticks with the team

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Enallyniv posted:

I haven't played OW in a couple of months but when I started up again a couple of days ago I was suddenly able to play McCree, even though I had about 10 minutes total playtime as him prior to my return.

I also have moments of clarity as Mei and become a headshot-locking icicle-spewing murder machine. Nothing quite like clearing an area, looking around, voicing "Yay!" and building a lil celebratory snowman. :3:

New mouse?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The snipers are actually better on attack because your team can move in and capitalise on a free pick to take the point. On defence the attackers can just back out and group up again in 20 seconds. On defence you'd rather have a more consistent class.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, on defense you'd rather want a soldier/McCree as your hitscan over widowmaker because they're a lot harder to dive and get as a free pick.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Laputanmachine posted:

most of the time every person on a team is bad and a waste of a slot not playing their character well

y'all just gotta learn to love snipers

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Up Circle posted:

in a game that is ultimately about killing the other team in order to achieve objectives, a lot of people seem to have a lot of anger at the characters designed purely for killing the enemy team and nothing else

If your team loses a fight, let's say that three or four of your team dies, and then your Hanzo scores a quick couple of headshots, he's scoring kills but they aren't really helping you much in a lot of cases. There are maps where that calculus can wind up benefiting you, like if you're on the attack on the first part of a map like King's Row where you have spawn advantage, but there are ways a character can get plenty of kills and still not contribute much just like there are ways to get gold medals in damage all the time without that number translating into anything useful.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Up Circle posted:

most of the time every person on a team is bad and a waste of a slot not playing their character well

y'all just gotta learn to love snipers

A bad sniper is worse for the team than a bad soldier or pretty much anything else.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I love snipers, Zenyatta is my favourite character

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Gloryhold It! posted:

A bad sniper is worse for the team than a bad soldier or pretty much anything else.

A mediocre sniper is still worse than a bad pretty much anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

OxySnake posted:

A mediocre sniper is still worse than a bad pretty much anything else.

I'd always rather have a mediocre hanzo over a mediocre widow. Just on the off chance the hanzo might get some kills with his ult.