Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like if you actually try to play the Deadly Premonition board game, you wake up in Greenvale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I mean, we all know how this is really gonna go down.

Did you see that, Zach?! Clear as a crisp spring morning! "Werewolf...knockoff..." In the coffee!

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 6, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Johnny Truant posted:

I saw this! The Thing is one of my favourite movies, so I'm hoping for the best. There better be a MacReady character, if I can't play as Kurt Russell... :argh:

Given that there are twelve playable characters and there were twelve crew at Outpost 31, this is obviously going to be possible even if Mondo were such total loving idiots as to want to leave out the main character of the movie.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

al-azad posted:

For all my hardcore video gamer goons.

I don't know what the gently caress.

I'm gonna buy this and make my friends play it with the whistle song on loop

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just bought 1846. Doing my part to make sure GMT starts picking up more 18XX's. They have said they welcome others in their catalogue.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Sleekly posted:

I thought you guys were all sick of Lovecraft poo poo?
Escape from New York. Now theres a board game idea.

Yeah, the Cthulhu theme (in this game at least) is dumb and bad but we just ignore it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

djfooboo posted:

Just bought 1846. Doing my part to make sure GMT starts picking up more 18XX's. They have said they welcome others in their catalogue.

It's fun. I hope one day to not be last place at it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
http://www.perplext.com/packogame/

I only just found out about these pack o game things. Any of you ever try them? They look like fun as something small and simple and easily transported around and not too complex.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I've found valley of the kings works well enough when I want an easily portable game, but I'm probably not the target market since the production quality looks rather low and I usually don't need something so heavily skewed towards portable.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

http://www.perplext.com/packogame/

I only just found out about these pack o game things. Any of you ever try them? They look like fun as something small and simple and easily transported around and not too complex.

I've got both of them and have played through all of the ones in the first pack. They're good for a quick thing for sure, but getting just a little bigger (thinking Mint Works) gets you a lot farther. Some of the ones in 2 intrigue me but I haven't had a chance to play them yet.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Don't suppose anyone has some what reliable info on when there will be another batch of Feast for Odin games being released? Seems everywhere is sold out minus eBay (150+ bucks). I reeeeeally want it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

Don't suppose anyone has some what reliable info on when there will be another batch of Feast for Odin games being released? Seems everywhere is sold out minus eBay (150+ bucks). I reeeeeally want it

It will come when it comes. Just play The Colonists and wait patiently.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just played Goa for the first time in way too long.

3-player, I went extra cards and wrecked face by prioritizing that, then vp tiles (mission and 2! give up tiles), and the last two turns just rushed my production so I could fulfill the give ups.

My vague recollection is that going cards first is nearly always the right thing to do, they save so many actions, give resources, etc. Is there *actually* a good strategy that doesn't prioritize cards? My wife was only a few points behind doing a very balanced strategy (she actually got all of the categories to the third row, completing just the cards one on the last turn), so the answer is "probably", but...man the cards just always seem so powerful.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

silvergoose posted:

Just played Goa for the first time in way too long.

3-player, I went extra cards and wrecked face by prioritizing that, then vp tiles (mission and 2! give up tiles), and the last two turns just rushed my production so I could fulfill the give ups.

My vague recollection is that going cards first is nearly always the right thing to do, they save so many actions, give resources, etc. Is there *actually* a good strategy that doesn't prioritize cards? My wife was only a few points behind doing a very balanced strategy (she actually got all of the categories to the third row, completing just the cards one on the last turn), so the answer is "probably", but...man the cards just always seem so powerful.

If you are playing the 1st edition then cards are always the best strategy.

In the 2nd edition they are still strong but significantly toned down.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tai posted:

I thought one of the playtesters on BGG said something like late 2017? That's what I'm hoping for. :pray:

I agree about playing The Colonists! All dayyyyyy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Papes posted:

If you are playing the 1st edition then cards are always the best strategy.

In the 2nd edition they are still strong but significantly toned down.

Pretty sure it's first ed. What was changed for the second edition?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Rutibex posted:

It will come when it comes. Just play The Colonists and wait patiently.

I'll shall YouTube it!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

silvergoose posted:

Pretty sure it's first ed. What was changed for the second edition?

2nd ed. changes:

quote:

RULES:
* First player starts with $5
* If you choose to buy your own auction item, pay $1 less than the previous high bidder
* Of the four unused tiles in each era, no more than two may be plantations

NEW TILES (added to the mix, so now 4 tiles per era are left out):
* A: Crop rotation (a 1-spice wild plantation, which is NOT worth a point)
* A: Foreman (purple tile: at game end, all your 1-point 1-spice plantations are worth 3 points instead)
* B: Expedition (red tile: draw an expedition card each round)
* B: Favor (light blue tile: when you win this tile, exchange it for one of the tiles that was not used in either A or B)

COMPONENTS (non-card):
* Money tile now gives $3/turn instead of $4
* Duty now gives 5 VP instead of 4
* Colonist track adds 0/2/4/5/6 colonists
* Ship track gives 1/2/3/5/6 ships
* Money and harvest track spice requirements swapped
* Eight new tiles for the "Bonanza" variant/expansion (in addition to those listed above)

COMPONENTS (card):
* Three '1' colonist cards are changed to '2' colonist
* A new symbol, the elephant, has been added. There are now 5 each of 6 symbols, instead of 6 each of 5 symbols.
* "Sell spice" card can sell a maximum of four spices
* "Advance with money" card is not an action
* "Flip an extra colonize card" card can be played after you see what your two colony cards are

COMPONENTS (cosmetic):
* New tiles and chits to track the current round (A1-A4/B1-B4) and current action (1/2/3/extra actions)
* Stickers to put on the spice baggies, so that colorblind players can tell the difference between red nutmeg and green pepper
* Colony tiles now have the name of the colony, instead of "Colony"

I have the 2nd (never played the 1st) and going cards is strong, but certainly beatable.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

So, one of my favorite board games is Quantum. One of the main things that makes me love it so much is using the powers and ships you acquired through the game, that lead into those really big, impressive moves that make you feel really goddamn smart. What other games kind of do this?

Deckbuilders sooooorta do the big flashy turn thing, but you're really just hoping for a good hand and there's much less actual planning.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

T-Bone posted:

2nd ed. changes:

I have the 2nd (never played the 1st) and going cards is strong, but certainly beatable.

Yup, to clarify the added symbol and buffing the other tracks are what tones it down. It is a lot harder to rack up VPs from the cards with the added symbol.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Just played my first 18xx (1846) and won! While the route placement was interesting and fun and I would play this game again, I am curious to see more of the financial aspect that is talked about in other 18xx games. What would you say is the next tick towards a more finance based game in the series?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Oh god I'm playing codenames and the other team can't guess dog and head on Anubis 2.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I get it, but I doubt I'd guess "head" off that either. Dog for sure though, I mean come on.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I get it, but I doubt I'd guess "head" off that either. Dog for sure though, I mean come on.

Literally nothing else fit.

And my whole team knew it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Cheen posted:

Just played my first 18xx (1846) and won! While the route placement was interesting and fun and I would play this game again, I am curious to see more of the financial aspect that is talked about in other 18xx games. What would you say is the next tick towards a more finance based game in the series?
1830 is your best bet if you don't have it already.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

I thought one of the playtesters on BGG said something like late 2017? That's what I'm hoping for. :pray:

I agree about playing The Colonists! All dayyyyyy.

Late 2017? gently caress..

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Cheen posted:

As Tekopo said, 1830, which is pretty much won or lost on the stock market. 1889 is fine as well, it's almost identical rules-wise to 1830 but on a smaller map, with a shorter playtime, and with the sharp edges sanded off.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

1889 has a little financial shenanigans but is structured in such a way that it's difficult to get into really deep trouble, because it's still a bit forgiving. 1830 is just enough gloves-off that you can seriously screw or be screwed financially, especially if you get caught out when the diesel trains come out.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Go RV! posted:

So, one of my favorite board games is Quantum. One of the main things that makes me love it so much is using the powers and ships you acquired through the game, that lead into those really big, impressive moves that make you feel really goddamn smart. What other games kind of do this?

Deckbuilders sooooorta do the big flashy turn thing, but you're really just hoping for a good hand and there's much less actual planning.

Food chain magnate. The downside is the guy on the receiving end is going to be absolutely wrecked. Tash Kalar does this as well

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Any recommended co op games? Have enjoyed Zombicide, Arkham Horror, Space Alert, and Pandemic so far.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Any recommended co op games? Have enjoyed Zombicide, Arkham Horror, Space Alert, and Pandemic so far.

Black Orchestra, Legendary Encounters, Mysterium

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Food chain magnate. The downside is the guy on the receiving end is going to be absolutely wrecked. Tash Kalar does this as well

haha man you haven't really tash'd a kalar until you've summoned two legendaries on the same turn, or used the time elemental to score upwards of 6 points in one swing. it's one of the greatest 2 player abstracts on that alone.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
I like Forbidden Island/Desert for co-op, they're pretty light. Pandemic Legacy is great if you can manage that. I like Red November well enough, but I've found it hit and miss. If we get into the hidden traitor stuff there's more variety there as long as you're ok with one person being secretly a jerk.

Just played a game of Dungeon Run on tabletop simulator with some friends. Man is that game ever a wreck. Two moves/actions per turn basically made it so that every time I found an item or monster the guy behind me would just follow me in and pick up the item or finish off the monster for the XP since I didn't have enough actions to. By the time the boss was drawn, I literally was in the same boat I was in after the first turn of the game. Meanwhile the guy in the lead was literally rolling 11 dice (became 18 later) for magic attacks, got to reroll all his ones, had a menagerie of crazy items, and could roll to regenerate all his life.

I thought Betrayal at House on the Hill was imbalanced, but man Dungeon Run is just a dumpster fire.

Frush fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 7, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Impermanent posted:

haha man you haven't really tash'd a kalar until you've summoned two legendaries on the same turn, or used the time elemental to score upwards of 6 points in one swing. it's one of the greatest 2 player abstracts on that alone.

I just got completely blown out in a two player game using Skull catapult for a 4 point swing in death match so we have some ways to go

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
first thing to do: stop playing death match mode. it's good as an introduction but High Form is chef kiss emoji, whereas deathmatch is merely flame emoji. High Form's incentive structure for points is better imo.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Go RV! posted:

I haven't played it, but I've watched a few videos on the game, and Steampunk Rally looks like it might fit that bill.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cenotaph posted:

Oh god I'm playing codenames and the other team can't guess dog and head on Anubis 2.

Maybe they know Anubis had the head of a jackal.

Steampunk Rally does indeed have those big turns you set up for. It also has cards that can randomly (or not randomly) gently caress your entire turn, and if one of them is played on your big turn then get up from the table and walk away because you're done. It's as bad as Munchkin.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Impermanent posted:

first thing to do: stop playing death match mode. it's good as an introduction but High Form is chef kiss emoji, whereas deathmatch is merely flame emoji. High Form's incentive structure for points is better imo.

Was a three player game because half the D&D group was late lol. Agree high form is a tighter game

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
E: disregard, wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Gloomhaven.