Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
I'm glad that VAR has ended controversy in refereeing decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Arquebus posted:

I'm glad that VAR has ended controversy in refereeing decisions.

Should have known it would, rugby league is a wonderful controversy-free sport.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

iajanus posted:

But both decisions have been correct :shrug:

im still determined that the first one should have been ruled out for whoever it was blocking off djulbic

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

also reddy should have had a card for shoulder charging bujis into the post

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

im still determined that the first one should have been ruled out for whoever it was blocking off djulbic

I disagree, he was far enough away that it was irrelevant to the goal being scored. And the goalie never glanced at the offside player so wasn't affected by him at all. Clear goal.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
gently caress I forgot there were was a game tonight

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

How do I get tickets to the grand final?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Sandwolf posted:

How do I get tickets to the grand final?

best way to get one without being a member is to sign up to the football family at http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/get-involved which gets you second priority tickets before general sale iirc

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

iajanus posted:

I disagree, he was far enough away that it was irrelevant to the goal being scored. And the goalie never glanced at the offside player so wasn't affected by him at all. Clear goal.

This is actually all irrelevant. The VAR is there to correct black and white calls that are wrong, not to re-referee interpretations. There's no way Strebre Delovski should have looked at that and said conclusively that the decision was wrong, he just got excited by the thought of making headlines. It was a disgraceful decision.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Shmoses posted:

This is actually all irrelevant. The VAR is there to correct black and white calls that are wrong, not to re-referee interpretations. There's no way Strebre Delovski should have looked at that and said conclusively that the decision was wrong, he just got excited by the thought of making headlines. It was a disgraceful decision.

What are you talking about? That was a black and white decision. You aren't offside if you're not interfering with play. The linesman was clearly wrong and the VAR should have overruled him. To take that goal back would be clearly be incorrectly ruling on what offside has been for years now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

And the second one was also an obvious mistake by the linesman and correctly overturned. Technology did a good job, yesterday.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

iajanus posted:

What are you talking about? That was a black and white decision. You aren't offside if you're not interfering with play. The linesman was clearly wrong and the VAR should have overruled him. To take that goal back would be clearly be incorrectly ruling on what offside has been for years now.

It wasn't a black and white decision - the lino interpreted Bobo as interfering with the play and ruled him as offside. The nature of that part of the rule is that it's up for the referee's interpretation. It's not a simple yes/no question like 'is he offside y/n' or 'did he get the ball first y/n'. The lino has interpreted Bobo as interfering with the play, it's not up to Delovski to reinterpret that - his remit is to eliminate the clear howlers, not re-ref the match. Really he shouldn't have even been asked, but therein lies the problem with the FFA implementing this in round 26 - there aren't enough test cases before the finals roll around.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Shmoses posted:

It wasn't a black and white decision - the lino interpreted Bobo as interfering with the play and ruled him as offside. The nature of that part of the rule is that it's up for the referee's interpretation. It's not a simple yes/no question like 'is he offside y/n' or 'did he get the ball first y/n'. The lino has interpreted Bobo as interfering with the play, it's not up to Delovski to reinterpret that - his remit is to eliminate the clear howlers, not re-ref the match. Really he shouldn't have even been asked, but therein lies the problem with the FFA implementing this in round 26 - there aren't enough test cases before the finals roll around.

He did eliminate a clear howler. Bobo was a mile away from play and in no way interfered with the outcome. The Perth player tried to milk a foul from the linesman once he saw he wasn't going to get close and the linesman fell for it, likely because from his position he couldn't see how far away from the action he was. The VAR did the exact right thing and corrected the obvious mistake.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

gently caress yes boys let's do this

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jamie Young was having a stormer, rip

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

iajanus posted:

He did eliminate a clear howler. Bobo was a mile away from play and in no way interfered with the outcome. The Perth player tried to milk a foul from the linesman once he saw he wasn't going to get close and the linesman fell for it, likely because from his position he couldn't see how far away from the action he was. The VAR did the exact right thing and corrected the obvious mistake.

I think your Sydney fandom is colouring your judgement on this, you haven't understood the point I'm trying to make at all

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I stand with schmoses

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Shmoses posted:

I think your Sydney fandom is colouring your judgement on this, you haven't understood the point I'm trying to make at all

I'm understanding it, I'm just saying you're wrong.

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Shmoses posted:

i'm a perth fan, and he's right

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Heck yes

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Big Blue. Best Blue.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

ronniegardocki posted:

i'm a perth fan, and he's right

Very noble of you but he's not. They made a song and dance about not re-reffing games and now they're doing exactly that

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Very noble of you but he's not. They made a song and dance about not re-reffing games and now they're doing exactly that

Please give up; whilst you try to recast correcting an obvious refereeing mistake as some sort of coinflip interpretation call everyone else has accepted it and moved on.

Sadly Brisbane couldn't knock out Melbourne but hopefully next week Sydney will do the job.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I'm ready for histories most outrageous smash and grabs

Let's raid that border

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I think this post on Mariners members sums it up for me:

quote:

Sydney in a heart rending controversial loss that causes angst tears and red cards all round. Berisha dive for a winner please.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
#TwilightRobbery

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

im insanely pumped lads

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm over it; ever since we won the premiership I've been less and less enthused about the finals. For the first time I understand the argument of the people who dont want it to exist.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

I'm over it; ever since we won the premiership I've been less and less enthused about the finals. For the first time I understand the argument of the people who dont want it to exist.
worried about choking?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

worried about choking?

The idea of Muscat winning things makes me physically sick.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I Am Incredibly Ready For The Greatest Theft Of Our Time.

Prepare yoselves

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I can't wait for a mahazi 92nd min winner

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
If that happens I'm streaking

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Loving this 5pm kick-off

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I honestly don't think the footage of cahill watching himself on his fridge is doctored, I think he just sent the footage into Samsung and they built the as campaign around it

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Reminder that if Sydney win redmayne will collect his third championship medal and the universe is unjust

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

why would you not shoot there

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tongues posted:

I honestly don't think the footage of cahill watching himself on his fridge is doctored, I think he just sent the footage into Samsung and they built the as campaign around it

Lol I'd believe it

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
That Albanian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.