Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mostly I'm disappointed because I think a mentor/father-figure relationship would have made more sense and created more interesting story opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

That was real awkward and bad, but the real crime, the worst crime, was taking away the wahcha. Unforgivable.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Turtlicious posted:

I liked it a lot and I thought it was cute.

And that's not a bad thing. We all prioritize different things in regards to our shows, and I'm glad you're not afraid to go against popular opinion.

Me personally, this episode reminded me way too strongly of the sort of writing you'd see from someone who's just writing their very first romance novel; and that's surprising considering how consistently good the show was up till now. That, and I'm unable to look past how this turn of events would look in the real world. But that doesn't mean you have to feel that way.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 7, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Well, I groaned pretty hard on this one, was hoping it would be a more father/daughter mentor/student thing if she was going to stay around, considering he is 80+ years old+1000 year time skip and she is a teenager that has been mentally and physically abused her entire life, whoooole lot of groaning.

If that's where they want to bring her as a character I'd of rather she left as soon as she was carried out of the beast, hell replace this with a episode that is entirely her going off on her own to confront her mother and her cult instead of the last two episodes.

Servaetes posted:

So like other than him just being kind of a bit of a monster, is there any chance Aku survives? Or is he pretty much irredeemably evil?

Your asking if the timeless incarnation of cosmic evil is irredeemably evil...?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only woman that Samurai Jack should love is Aku in disguise

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Your asking if the timeless incarnation of cosmic evil is irredeemably evil...?

Listen he might death ray heroes into dust and run over entire tank lines as a ball, but he's also very, very funny. The clip where he basically mocks the entire premise of the show and pretty much every cartoon I watched as a kid was great

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I liked it, but I can't say it was great time budgeting. Like if they want a romantic subplot they might as well have that on the way to wherever they're going. Then again, Samurai Jack isn't normally known for being compressed, even when time budget is a factor.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Servaetes posted:

Listen he might death ray heroes into dust and run over entire tank lines as a ball, but he's also very, very funny. The clip where he basically mocks the entire premise of the show and pretty much every cartoon I watched as a kid was great

Comedy is just tragedy plus time.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I bet Gendy hates Dean Martin and wants us to hate him too.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Guys, this show was originally for kids. Are we really supposed to be surprised that the transition to Adult Swim was not perfect? I laughed a lot at the fanservice romance and only got sad when I realized there were only two episodes left.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Snipee posted:

Guys, this show was originally for kids. Are we really supposed to be surprised that the transition to Adult Swim was not perfect? I laughed a lot at the fanservice romance and only got sad when I realized there were only two episodes left.

I mean, Season 5 STARTED OUT really well in towing that line. And now it's doing a...decidedly not-so-good job at it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm remembering some weeks back when that second episode premiered and how I was just floored at the quality. The cinematography, the choreography, the pacing, the backgrounds, the music. I watched it several times and admired everything that went into it. How cool is it to do this tier of quality in a TV show, where you don't have the constraints of a movie? You can develop better characters, deeper atmosphere and take the time to build suspense without worrying about wrapping up the plot in 90 minutes. And all the cool, meditative, artistic shots can fit in with room to spare for comedic scenes. gently caress, this is great!

And then here we are. :geno:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Das Boo posted:

I'm remembering some weeks back when that second episode premiered and how I was just floored at the quality. The cinematography, the choreography, the pacing, the backgrounds, the music. I watched it several times and admired everything that went into it. How cool is it to do this tier of quality in a TV show, where you don't have the constraints of a movie? You can develop better characters, deeper atmosphere and take the time to build suspense without worrying about wrapping up the plot in 90 minutes. And all the cool, meditative, artistic shots can fit in with room to spare for comedic scenes. gently caress, this is great!

Dude this episode was bad, but all the other episodes have been great.

Come on now. There's always one clunker in something and this was it I suppose. In fact I know what bothers me about it. It reminds me of the stupid Killing Joke romance between Batgirl and Batman. Super forced and hamfisted and really awkward to watch.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Asuron posted:

Come on now. There's always one clunker in something and this was it I suppose. In fact I know what bothers me about it. It reminds me of the stupid Killing Joke romance between Batgirl and Batman. Super forced and hamfisted and really awkward to watch.
Oh poo poo, you're exactly right. It basically hits the exact same beats, but just without Ashi being crippled at the end.

Well, yet.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Lol, so I just checked Wikipedia, and it confirmed that Tara Strong voiced Batgirl in that film too. How does she get so many leading roles? Are there only a small number of competent voice actors in the country?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

She has one of those voices that easily fits a lot of different roles without her really having to do anything to her voice, and she has tons of experience.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Snipee posted:

Are there only a small number of competent voice actors in the country?

Yes, actually.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Das Boo posted:

Alright.
Okay.
You got me.
Samurai Jack, I can't defend you on this one, buddy.
gently caress.

FUUUUUCK.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Mostly I'm disappointed because I think a mentor/father-figure relationship would have made more sense and created more interesting story opportunities.

Yeah. Lowest point of the show. So far. :ohdear:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

my dad posted:

Yeah. Lowest point of the show. So far. :ohdear:

Well, look at it this way. This entire episode was an episode in excess; filled with stuff that could've easily been cut with no consequence. So it seems the schedule isn't SO crunched that Gendy couldn't work in his burgeoning romantic story ideas. And this is a guy who literally goes into monologues about all the cool and exciting stuff they're doing with the show.

So if he's THAT animated about making his ideas become reality...then there's a good chance we're in for one heck of a ride with Episodes 9 and 10. We've got a potential Guardian rematch, we've got the final match-up between Aku and Jack, the Scotsman's Force Ghost...lots of stuff that could turn out really well.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Scotsman will likely approve of wood pixie entirely because he was worried Jack would steal all his daughters away if he was single.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

this might just be an epileptic tree here, but maybe

this is fish-face jack

this is a pansexual pride flag

if we rotate fish faced jack…

we can see that his colors mark up to be p similar with the pan pride flag, aside from the use of orange in the middle instead and the teal ear flipper

#idk #take it as you will #i just wanted me some fish faced samurai #also yeah im implying that someone on the team is suggesting jacks orietation #is pansexual #could also be that these colours are v striking and look good arranged this way on a black bg and someone just wanted to use them #but why an arrangement like this

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Moon Slayer posted:

this might just be an epileptic tree here, but maybe

this is fish-face jack

this is a pansexual pride flag

if we rotate fish faced jack…

we can see that his colors mark up to be p similar with the pan pride flag, aside from the use of orange in the middle instead and the teal ear flipper

#idk #take it as you will #i just wanted me some fish faced samurai #also yeah im implying that someone on the team is suggesting jacks orietation #is pansexual #could also be that these colours are v striking and look good arranged this way on a black bg and someone just wanted to use them #but why an arrangement like this

Well, it was true with those mountains in Korra. But this doesn't really look right. Maybe if the orange part was actually yellow. Also, I don't really think many people even know what pansexuality is, let alone what their pride flag looks like.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

Normally I don't get how goons turn on things in order to go "hot take: X was never good :smuggo:", I'm actually feeling this myself. :(

I believe I have some rationale for it though, since establishing a relationship this early means it's almost certainly going to play a part in the finale in a really stupid way. Something like Ashi hanging off of one cliff, while Aku is dangling off another.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I made the same face at this episode that I would have if my child had told me they were into ageplay and were wearing a diaper right then.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Well, ashi probably has the mental capacity of a 10 year old, so you kind of did hear that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Das Boo posted:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
this episode was pretty bad, but like, I didn't think it was so bad that it made me retroactively question the quality of the series

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Yeah, this is where I'm at. It's definitely disappointing that they've gone this route, but I still have hope that the last two episodes will be able to bring back at least a little bit of the season's initial pacing and quality.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Were you people all former Zutara shippers or something. Ashi is an adult. So is Jack. Nothing ever suggested he was anything but heterosexual before. The whole premise of Jack and Ashi was based on Genndy's original childhood conception of Samurai Jack, where he and a girlfriend wandered a post apocalyptic wasteland.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 7, 2017

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

We all saw it, lemme get it out of my system before I go to bed.
*Sigh*

More heterosexuals AGAIN.

Couldn’t be platonic, or just be easily ignoreable straight subtext, like they afford all the straighties whenever we get “lgbt representation” nope.

I can live with this, I have lived with it my whole life, it’s fine.

BUT GODDAMNED HETEROSEXUALS!!!

I’ll still watch next episode anyway, because Samurai Jack is still cool.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Were you people all former Zutara shippers or something. Ashi is an adult. So is Jack. Nothing ever suggested he was anything but heterosexual before. The whole premise of Jack and Ashi was based on Genndy's original childhood conception of Samurai Jack, where he and a girlfriend wandered a post apocalyptic wasteland.

I don't know how you could read any of the posts of the last page or two and come out thinking it must be that people are upset Jack didn't hook up with his real equal, the Scotsman .

Edit: oh yeah, come to think of it there actually a thing about people complaining about Aang being too immature wasn't there. I think the problem with that came from Katara being written too old for her age if anything.

mycot fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 7, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Roth posted:

The only woman that Samurai Jack should love is Aku in disguise

Who's to say Aku didn't actually have a proper hand in creating Ashi beyond what was seen and she's something like his daughter or that one clayface clonegirl in Batman?

Also, yes, Tara Strong seems to be in a lot of weird cartoon romance roles, it might at this point be either typecasting or she actively asks for those gigs?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the moment they got in the bus i knew when i check on this thread, it would be full of complaints

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Who's to say Aku didn't actually have a proper hand in creating Ashi beyond what was seen and she's something like his daughter or that one clayface clonegirl in Batman?

Also, yes, Tara Strong seems to be in a lot of weird cartoon romance roles, it might at this point be either typecasting or she actively asks for those gigs?

She goes for any work she can get. Voice Acting doesn't pay especially well unless you're doing VA work for the Simpsons.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Ashi's gonna die

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Sjs00 posted:

Ashi's gonna die

Yeah, die the little death.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Yeah, die the little death.

Personally I'm betting on eye-laserbeams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Servaetes posted:

Shame there wasn't any Aku or Scaramouche or even ghost Jedi Scotsman. Is the last episode of the season a hour long or just 30?

This guy gets it.

• Locked thread