Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

AnoHito posted:

my manager actually explained this to me once. apparently it's surprisingly common, especially for contract positions. the end goal is to bullshit your way through a few months while learning at least a little bit on the job, then later be able to put down that you have "experience" when applying for your next job. apparently he's had a couple people outright confess to it when they try a webcam interview.

yep

last job, we had a guy applying for a DBA/middleware position who aced our interview (after one of the c-level idiots nixed webcam screening) and got hired

since it was a smaller company, he walked in the door, got onboarded, and was immediately asked a question about an issue we were having with oracle RAC

the ceo walked him out the door :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

my goth gf posted:

how does a conversation like that even go? must be the awkwardest thing imaginable.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Ocrassus posted:

how does a conversation like that even go? must be the awkwardest thing imaginable.

it was at another office but i have to imagine it started with "what the gently caress were you thinking?"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

my goth gf posted:

yep

last job, we had a guy applying for a DBA/middleware position who aced our interview (after one of the c-level idiots nixed webcam screening) and got hired

since it was a smaller company, he walked in the door, got onboarded, and was immediately asked a question about an issue we were having with oracle RAC

some guy on an airplane was hyping oracle rac to me and lol what trash

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

AnoHito posted:

my manager actually explained this to me once. apparently it's surprisingly common, especially for contract positions. the end goal is to bullshit your way through a few months while learning at least a little bit on the job, then later be able to put down that you have "experience" when applying for your next job. apparently he's had a couple people outright confess to it when they try a webcam interview.

On the other hand, I love to interview people who think they can BS their way through an interview. I'll bring them in and have others interview them so they can up their bullshit detection game.

I interviewed one guy for a front-end position who honestly thought that JavaScript was a sub-language of Java and would push to use Node.js whenever possible.

Curious, I asked him to whiteboard how to create a new thread in JavaScript. He wrote a Promise with multiple .then(). He confidently said that each .then() was a new thread. :haw:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

some guy on an airplane was hyping oracle rac to me and lol what trash

i like to imagine that some guy just randomly came up to you during a flight and started talking about RAC for no discernible reason

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

my goth gf posted:

i like to imagine that some guy just randomly came up to you during a flight and started talking about RAC for no discernible reason

i clocked in and started coding and he was like a toshiba sales guy for south and Latin America and I was super hype about riak and the cap theorem at the time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ocrassus posted:

nah, it's easy to fire someone who is terrible and also a liar. the hard fires are people that are barely mediocre and you gave them a chance but they're just not doing well.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The Management posted:

nah, it's easy to fire someone who is terrible and also a liar. the hard fires are people that are barely mediocre and you gave them a chance but they're just not doing well.

hr doesn't understand why I'm so unwilling to consider tech boot-camp candidates for full time positions when they have no job history and a 14 week programming course on their resume.

it was a real eye opener for me when a friend at microsoft told me there's plenty of lovely coders there who came in through acquisitions and manage to stick around because they manage to barely avoid screwing up enough to get canned.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i clocked in and started coding and he was like a toshiba sales guy for south and Latin America and I was super hype about riak and the cap theorem at the time

Man you were on the cusp of a breakthrough in disproving that cap trash and this nerd starts talking about freaking Oracle... Talk about lame :rolleyes:

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
https://youtu.be/bNpoTSx_C_A

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

summarize plz

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

summarize plz

gray forums poster doesn't know how to embed video.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's important that we hire only the most top-flight candidates with extensive experience to code our enterprise-grade fart apps and monitor our largely automated servers

Iverron
May 13, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

probably to make sure you're not a complete slob and or a punk and or a fat

also subconscious racism obviously

if "doesn't look / act like I do" isn't a top 3 explanation for "culture fit" in this industry, I'd be surprised

and then there's this: https://twitter.com/doryowen/status/860964227695161345

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cis autodrag posted:

apple wants me to come out for an onsite! now we find out new ways for me to embarrass myself in technical interviews. also i need to find dates i can conceivably attribute to family events.

a little late to the party but drat you go girl

Khym
Jun 11, 2002
When you report salary do you report "salary" or total expected comp ("salary" + stock grant at current price + expected bonus)

This is for things where they need to know your income - like applying for a loan or some such.

I am new to the "good job" thing and need to learn your customs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
report to whom? for loans its just salary cause they care about cash flow

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Khym posted:

When you report salary do you report "salary" or total expected comp ("salary" + stock grant at current price + expected bonus)

This is for things where they need to know your income - like applying for a loan or some such.

tell your accountant all details; no lies, no secrets

or ask whatever banker you're dealing with for loan stuff

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Khym posted:

loans care about what you can show on your W2 (income), and how much you have total in savings+investments. unvested money doesn't exist.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
for financial poo poo they'll ask you for exactly what they need and you should give it to them. lying about it is very bad as it gives the other party a mechanism to put more liability on to you.

Khym
Jun 11, 2002

The Management posted:

loans care about what you can show on your W2 (income), and how much you have total in savings+investments. unvested money doesn't exist.

Ok, thanks. How about this situation:

I have a four year grant. 25% vests after 1 year so I guess that is fake until it isn't.

From then on out, the grant vests continually with each paycheck. It's an outright grant - I am being given the stock and can do what I like with it, and the company is publicly traded and liquid.

Is that income?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can provide the details to the banker and they will decide how relevant it is. theoretically it is a form of income.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 8, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Khym posted:

Ok, thanks. How about this situation:

I have a four year grant. 25% vests after 1 year so I guess that is fake until it isn't.

From then on out, the grant vests continually with each paycheck. It's an outright grant - I am being given the stock and can do what I like with it, and the company is publicly traded and liquid.

Is that income?

it is income when you it vests, yes. if you're in the us you will pay income tax on it when you get it and it will be reflected on your w2.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Khym posted:

are you interviewing for a credit line or something??

Khym
Jun 11, 2002
Great, thanks!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Say hello to our new employee!

(she's an intern for technical recruiting)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I bet she's cool.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poemdexter posted:

Say hello to our new employee!

(she's an intern for technical recruiting)

sound fine :confused:?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

to stay actually on topic, my first ever cold calling recruiter has panned out into a physical interview with their client :toot:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

physical interview

imessage me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I had an hour long shared coding interview with these guys. after silence for a month, they decided they want to continue. their recruiter called me this morning and when I told him I was not interested in continuing he hung up on me. an hour later I got this:

quote:

It’s a shame to hear you are not interested in continuing the process with COMPANY. Hiring has not been their #1 priority given deadlines they have been looking to hit so the fact that they would like to continue says a lot about their interest in you. After a call with an engineer is an onsite, scheduled quickly after, then the offer stage.

If you would like to reconsider and have a 1 hour chat with a lead engineer, please let me know your availability. I strongly recommend seeing this process through given the time you have spent to make it to this stage (which not a lot of people do). It is a chance to really launch your career given your current work history and how a startup will bring a new dynamic to your skill set.

lots of red flags here.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

The Management posted:

I had an hour long shared coding interview with these guys. after silence for a month, they decided they want to continue. their recruiter called me this morning and when I told him I was not interested in continuing he hung up on me. an hour later I got this:

lots of red flags here.

you're really going to miss out on this unmarked can of smashed fish assholes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Management posted:

lots of red flags here.

desperate and incompetent, that's a no

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Management posted:

lots of :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: here.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quote:

so the fact that they would like to continue says a lot about their interest in you
*wears zany hat*
*points to door*

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Hiring has not been their #1 priority given deadlines
Massive lol at this

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

jre posted:

Massive lol at this

yeah that's a real :wtf: statement to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

lots of red flags here.

"look, they don't respect you or your time for weeks on end, but IF (AND ITS A BIG IF U FRAUD) you got *inside* it'd be more than tolerable!"

• Locked thread