Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I played a few games yesterday!
First was Overseers, a pretty good looking draft/bluffing game where you want to get a high score, but not so high that you obviously have the best hand. The drafting is sort of like Sushi Go, but you always play with the same set of cards, which are then modified by whatever special powers the players are that round. I like it.

Then was A Feast for Odin, which is still great even if I'm still horrible at it. One player hated it because he's really bad at the puzzle part. Trying to fit a 2x3 tile into a 1x3 space bad, it's was pretty weird to look at.

Finally we played Mechs vs Minions, and I'm still not a fan. It feels too random in a way, where a single damage can screw everything up even if you luck out and get the right cards during the draft. We played the first mission and didn't get any cards that allowed us to turn our mechs, so we just ran to the other end of the board or stood around looking stupid. The 3rd turn was the first time we could turn reliably, and then it was too late and we lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Electric Hobo posted:

Finally we played Mechs vs Minions, and I'm still not a fan. It feels too random in a way, where a single damage can screw everything up even if you luck out and get the right cards during the draft. We played the first mission and didn't get any cards that allowed us to turn our mechs, so we just ran to the other end of the board or stood around looking stupid. The 3rd turn was the first time we could turn reliably, and then it was too late and we lost.

I don't even know how this is possible unless someone was so bad at shuffling the deck that all the cards fell in order by type with turning at the bottom. But even then if someone starts next to or behind the bomb they can at least roll it forward a few steps until they get a turning card and probably win right there.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

I don't even know how this is possible unless someone was so bad at shuffling the deck that all the cards fell in order by type with turning at the bottom. But even then if someone starts next to or behind the bomb they can at least roll it forward a few steps until they get a turning card and probably win right there.
It was just bad luck on the cards, that's always something that can happen no matter how well you shuffle. We did push the bomb, and tried to control the minions, but I took a damage that pushed me to the edge of the board and then everything collapsed. I should say that we were 3 players.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Any recommended co op games? Have enjoyed Zombicide, Arkham Horror, Space Alert, and Pandemic so far.

Pandemic Legacy, for sure. Gloomhaven, for sure. I second Legendary Encounters (Alien and Predator are both good but probably start with Alien since it's a more complete package and has an expansion...also they can be combined later if you want). I personally would also strongly recommend Sentinels of the Multiverse and potentially Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (not the first adventure path, but any of the others will do). Flashpoint: Fire Rescue is a pretty good light coop. If you can get your hands on the upcoming Darkest Night second edition, that game is amazing. If you can get your hands on FFG's Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game (which they are no longer printing due to the license having expired) for a reasonable price, that's pretty solid. It didn't get enough content to pay more than MSRP though, IMO.

Oh, and although there's significant overlap with Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, the Arkham Horror LCG and Mansions of Madness 2E might very well also appeal. Perhaps more so than Arkham Horror, perhaps not.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

malkav11 posted:

If you can get your hands on FFG's Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game (which they are no longer printing due to the license having expired) for a reasonable price, that's pretty solid. It didn't get enough content to pay more than MSRP though, IMO.

This has been on Amazon all weekend for 20 bucks, FYI. Probably the cheapest it'll get before it disappears.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Argh, I wish I didn't have to pay thirty bucks in shipping/handling/import now.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Electric Hobo posted:

It was just bad luck on the cards, that's always something that can happen no matter how well you shuffle. We did push the bomb, and tried to control the minions, but I took a damage that pushed me to the edge of the board and then everything collapsed. I should say that we were 3 players.

That would have to be incredibly bad luck, literally 1/3 of the deck is turns. You also get a double draft for the first turn and the number of players is irrelevant, you get the same number of cards in the draft no matter how a many players you have. You're saying none of the first 15 cards were turns, and you got one damage that ruined things and there wasn't a blue or red card to repair it?

To be honest it sounds like there was at least one rule mistake but I can't say for sure. The first round of drafting is draw 10, keep passing until there's two left. It's not a rule, but if there wasn't at least one of everything in that 10(turn, move, and attack, not specific cards), I'd probably just reshuffle and restart. Damage that moves you isn't applied immediately, it goes on your board and you would have a draft round to either ditch a red or blue card(half the deck) to repair it or at least try to draft something else to try and compensate for it before it could completely screw you up. If you were doing all of that right and still got screwed over that badly, you have some of the worst luck I've ever heard of.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

deadwing posted:

This has been on Amazon all weekend for 20 bucks, FYI. Probably the cheapest it'll get before it disappears.

Yeah, that seems like a price to jump on to me.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Yakumo posted:

That would have to be incredibly bad luck, literally 1/3 of the deck is turns. You also get a double draft for the first turn and the number of players is irrelevant, you get the same number of cards in the draft no matter how a many players you have. You're saying none of the first 15 cards were turns, and you got one damage that ruined things and there wasn't a blue or red card to repair it?

To be honest it sounds like there was at least one rule mistake but I can't say for sure. The first round of drafting is draw 10, keep passing until there's two left. It's not a rule, but if there wasn't at least one of everything in that 10(turn, move, and attack, not specific cards), I'd probably just reshuffle and restart. Damage that moves you isn't applied immediately, it goes on your board and you would have a draft round to either ditch a red or blue card(half the deck) to repair it or at least try to draft something else to try and compensate for it before it could completely screw you up. If you were doing all of that right and still got screwed over that badly, you have some of the worst luck I've ever heard of.

Well yeah, it was really bad luck as I've already said :)
We did the double draft and drafted the right number of cards. We definitely should just have started over after laying out the first 10. I've always applied movement damage immediately as well as later rounds, since there's nothing in the rules saying that you shouldn't. Is it in a FAQ somewhere or is it mission specific?

Either way, this is the first time the game has stomped me that hard out of all the times I've played it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
What's the current kickstarter hotness now that Gloomhaven is finished

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Brass has a couple more days

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Thank you for all the suggestions on co op games! We actually are doing the Legacy version of Pandemic right now, and it's great. I'm also on a pre-order list for Gloomhaven but in practice that just means I'll get a call to rush into the store when new stock arrives - if anyone has a better suggestion on how to get it I'd love to hear!

The others I'll go through and check out, excited!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Dunno about hotness per se, but I'm real excited for Button Men.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

This is the opposite of a hot kickstarter but it looks pretty interesting to me: Limanowa

Rules light WWI strategy game NOT set in France. This is their second try on Kickstarter and from the early pledges it's not at all clear if it will make the cut.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That looks really cool, I'll have to take a look at the rules, maybe see if you can p&p it. $90 is a bit on the high side unfortunately

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mojo Jojo posted:

Brass has a couple more days

Wonder which if either version of brass will play well at two players?

I'm also watching

Clans of Caledonia
One deck dungeon
Brass
Card City XL

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 7, 2017

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Electric Hobo posted:

Well yeah, it was really bad luck as I've already said :)
We did the double draft and drafted the right number of cards. We definitely should just have started over after laying out the first 10. I've always applied movement damage immediately as well as later rounds, since there's nothing in the rules saying that you shouldn't. Is it in a FAQ somewhere or is it mission specific?

Either way, this is the first time the game has stomped me that hard out of all the times I've played it.

Whoops, you're right. Guess we were making things way easier on ourselves when we played it. Haha, here I am thinking you're getting stuff wrong and it's been me the whole time. Sorry about that.

That's still seriously terrible luck though.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Ropes4u posted:

Wonder which if either version of brass will play well at two players?

Classic will have new two player rules and Birmingham has been designed from the ground up with a two player mode included

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Bios Genesis + megafauna 2nd edition!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The End posted:

Classic will have new two player rules and Birmingham has been designed from the ground up with a two player mode included

I might get Birmingham since a friend is backing classic. The lack of two player play throughs has me wondering if it's actually any good.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Not really a criteria that's reasonable, frankly. A lot of games have a substandard two player version shoehorned in for marketing reasons. If a game can't properly support it, better to not do it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The End posted:

Not really a criteria that's reasonable, frankly. A lot of games have a substandard two player version shoehorned in for marketing reasons. If a game can't properly support it, better to not do it.
It's the same thing for 2P game, although potentially I feel bad for 2P games since the market for them is very small.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Gilgameshback posted:

This is the opposite of a hot kickstarter but it looks pretty interesting to me: Limanowa

Rules light WWI strategy game NOT set in France. This is their second try on Kickstarter and from the early pledges it's not at all clear if it will make the cut.

It might help if they got someone to do the voiceover who speaks English more fluently. He pronounced "ally" like "alley", the noun "attributes" as if it were a verb, and "hussar colonel" as "huzzar ko-lah-null". It also seems to have a lot of fiddly bits and randomness.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CaptainRightful posted:

It might help if they got someone to do the voiceover who speaks English more fluently. He pronounced "ally" like "alley", the noun "attributes" as if it were a verb, and "hussar colonel" as "huzzar ko-lah-null". It also seems to have a lot of fiddly bits and randomness.
Also this is a bad way to write rulebooks:

quote:

Prior to beginning the game, players shall agree on who is to command which army group and avail
themselves to the “Battleplan” annex pertaining to their army, as well as the “Legend” of symbols.
With the help of these, players shall take the units belonging to their chosen army corps, as well as
army corps’ markings. All players shall then insert their units into their own army corps markings.
(Subsequently, units are to be placed onto the board together with their army corps markings.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ropes4u posted:

I might get Birmingham since a friend is backing classic. The lack of two player play throughs has me wondering if it's actually any good.

Probably preaching to the choir, but split a single pledge between you because it's cheaper.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

I'm beginning to suspect that these Limanowa guys aren't native English speakers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kashuno posted:

Petrichor looks intriguing.

Area control game based on clouds and rainfall.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Played Aeon's End on Friday. I thought it was boring and tedious. Imagine if Dominion had like double the number of Provinces so that every turn you just keep hoping your engine activates until the game is finally mercifully over.

I also played a bunch of Santorini, which is a fun as hell abstract.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Jedit posted:

Probably preaching to the choir, but split a single pledge between you because it's cheaper.

We will be doing so.

The End posted:

My wife and I play a lot of two player so 2 player is almost mandatory for us.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We're waning a lot on Santorini and digging in more and more with Tak. The god cards are fun but add too much of an unexpected ending every game instead of real depth. Tak can end abruptly as well but it requires serious puzzling with the movements of stacks that feels a lot more satisfying.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Yeah I get that they're not native English speakers but the rulebook is pretty hard to get through

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tekopo posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, this is poetry.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Ropes4u posted:

My wife and I play a lot of two player so 2 player is almost mandatory for us.

Which is absolutely fine as personal criteria. Doesn't really impact whether a game is 'any good' generally though.

Any way, an exercise in hair splitting.

DadJokeGenerator
Feb 15, 2015

So, Gloomhaven. We managed to get a game going last night and started the campaign with a Spellweaver, Brute, and Tinkerer. We're all pretty experienced with dungeon crawlers, D&D 4E, and resource management strategies but this still made us sweat. Spellweaver exhausted in the second room in the first scenario after we realized how punishing the discard/lost card system can be for a class with a low number of cards in their hand, and how we can't just take our time in a room once we've cleared out the monsters.

It's unlike anything we've played before and I can't wait for the next game. Highly recommended if you want a hard dungeon crawler with a twist, not recommended for newbies or casual gamers.

Bad Points:
1) The stands for the monsters (I got the kickstarter version with PC minis) are bad, they look brittle and the hard plastic can ruin the cardboard. The XP and HP trackers on the small player mats (MAN, they are small) are hot garbage, backing the 2nd ed. upgrade kit was a smart move.
2) No glossary or FAQ in the rulebook. The FAQ on Boardgamegeek is essential and I hope it (or something like it) gets put in the 2nd Edition box.
3) No 'Read this first!' or 'Starting the campaign checklist' in the box. The 6 starting classes are first mentioned on page 42 of the rule book, finding out which cards are available in the starting market is on another page, finding out only the first 30 city and road encounter cards are used to begin with is on another, etc. Just stick it all together somewhere.

Good Points:
1) Every thing that's already been said previously is or sounds true. This game is awesome and is nearly everything a dungeon crawler would want.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

DadJokeGenerator posted:

Bad Points:
1) The stands for the monsters (I got the kickstarter version with PC minis) are bad, they look brittle and the hard plastic can ruin the cardboard. The XP and HP trackers on the small player mats (MAN, they are small) are hot garbage, backing the 2nd ed. upgrade kit was a smart move.
2) No glossary or FAQ in the rulebook. The FAQ on Boardgamegeek is essential and I hope it (or something like it) gets put in the 2nd Edition box.
3) No 'Read this first!' or 'Starting the campaign checklist' in the box. The 6 starting classes are first mentioned on page 42 of the rule book, finding out which cards are available in the starting market is on another page, finding out only the first 30 city and road encounter cards are used to begin with is on another, etc. Just stick it all together somewhere.

Good Points:
1) Every thing that's already been said previously is or sounds true. This game is awesome and is nearly everything a dungeon crawler would want.

The reprint's stands are going to be better, not that that really helps those of us with the first printing, and it's my understanding that a lot of what's in the Boardgamegeek FAQ will be edited into the revised rulebook/scenario book/cards etc. The former two were available as KS addons in print and are I believe already up as PDFs although I don't have the link handy. No idea if point 3 is addressed, though, and if not you might want to message Isaac and suggest it. Probably still time to get that in there.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How does gloomhaven compare against pandemic legacy? I've got the latter on the way but gloomhaven is probably going to be in the next batch of games I will order. Heck, I'm contemplating ordering it maybe this week after reading reviews and watching play throughs on YouTube but not noticed anyone mentioning if it is better or worse than pandemic legacy so have held off.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's a completely different beast, and are only comparable in that they are both coops.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

How does gloomhaven compare against pandemic legacy? I've got the latter on the way but gloomhaven is probably going to be in the next batch of games I will order. Heck, I'm contemplating ordering it maybe this week after reading reviews and watching play throughs on YouTube but not noticed anyone mentioning if it is better or worse than pandemic legacy so have held off.

the second kickstarter is over for gloomhaven

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
So against my better judgement I played Twilight Imperium the other Saturday. It was as awful as everyone warned me, and I'm resolved to never play that abortion of a game ever again. I can go into more detail if anyone is interested, but suffice to say we started playing at 10 AM, didn't get done until after 9 PM, and it was clear I had no chance of winning sometime around hour six. I only stuck around for the sake of my other friends, and I only played in the first place because I'll try anything once. Never again, though.

Also, someone whose taste in games I don't generally regard is pushing something called Bad People - anyone heard of it, and is it as bad as I'm expecting it to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DarkHorse posted:

So against my better judgement I played Twilight Imperium the other Saturday. It was as awful as everyone warned me, and I'm resolved to never play that abortion of a game ever again. I can go into more detail if anyone is interested, but suffice to say we started playing at 10 AM, didn't get done until after 9 PM, and it was clear I had no chance of winning sometime around hour six. I only stuck around for the sake of my other friends, and I only played in the first place because I'll try anything once. Never again, though.

Also, someone whose taste in games I don't generally regard is pushing something called Bad People - anyone heard of it, and is it as bad as I'm expecting it to be?

Eh TI isn't really considered *awful*, just...more of an experience than a truly balanced game. Way too long though. And that sounds like people were taking even longer than they should.