Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Variable_H posted:

The Acer X34 looks loving sweet, but that's way too pricey at $1300.

It is loving sweet, and if you're patient you can find it selling as a refurb in the $700-$800 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Dell S2716DG after some research. I like the look of it, it sounds like the trade-offs for a TN panel vs IPS aren't anything that would bother me with the way my desk is set up, and it's available right now for $570 instead of having to wait for something else to come in stock on refurb. Not pulling the trigger yet, but probably will pretty soon.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
What do people recommend for a desk-clamp monitor arm? I'm looking for good cable management, portrait/landscape rotation, and something that doesn't look like poo poo.

eames
May 9, 2009

Variable_H posted:

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Dell S2716DG after some research. I like the look of it, it sounds like the trade-offs for a TN panel vs IPS aren't anything that would bother me with the way my desk is set up, and it's available right now for $570 instead of having to wait for something else to come in stock on refurb. Not pulling the trigger yet, but probably will pretty soon.

I'm not sure if you'll be happy with a 1440p monitor and the PS4. You'll probably want to keep your 1080p monitor because the picture will look blurry when the monitor scales 1080p to 1440p.
An alternative would be a 4K screen and upgrading to a PS4 Pro but then you'd also have to upgrade your GPU. :can:

I ordered the smaller Dell S2417DG for the same reasons, it seems to be good value for what it offers, has the rare combination of Gsync/acceptable design and gamer IPS panels have their fair share of QC problems compared to the usual TN downsides.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Variable_H posted:

Make sure you buy from someplace with a no hassle return policy, going from IPS to TN might end up being pretty jarring and if you end up unhappy with it you don't want to end up stuck with the monitor.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bought directly from Dell, their return policy seems pretty straight forward with no hoops to jump through, so I'm content with that. I guess we'll see if I can handle a TN screen after years of IPS usage!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Variable_H posted:

Bought directly from Dell, their return policy seems pretty straight forward with no hoops to jump through, so I'm content with that. I guess we'll see if I can handle a TN screen after years of IPS usage!

It's probably easier too if you don't have a second monitor next to it that's also IPS. I had the S2716DG and it was a good monitor but having it next to my U3415W made me constantly see the color difference to where I sold it to a friend and picked up one of the Costco Predators.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Fortunately(?) my desk layout doesn't really accommodate a multi-monitor set up, so the IPS monitor will get repurposed for something else or I'll sell it to my brother to replace the absolute garbage Samsung monitor he has.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of the IPS/TN divide, how good are TN panels these days? I'm trying to figure out monitor(s) for a computer I might build and I'm kind of stuck on what I should get. I'm coming from a 15" MBP (pre-Retina, the glossy 1600x1050 screen) and I'm not sure if that was IPS or not. I'd probably be frustrated if I picked up a TN panel that looked worse, though. Pairing whatever I get with a 1070 and 1080p is fine by me. I'm looking to spend about $400 CAD or less pre-tax.

I'm debating between these two options:

Asus VG248QE (https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/rkphP6/asus-monitor-vg248qe) Big plus here is the 144hz refresh rate. I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, so higher than that should be even smoother. Problem is it's only TN. It seems to have good reviews though.

Or a pair of IPS 1080p@60 monitors, like https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/xMkD4D/asus-monitor-vs229hp or https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Lmw323/acer-monitor-umwh6aa002. Two monitors is great, they'd have IPS, but that 144hz is tempting. On the other hand, I'm probably keeping the computer for 5 years, and 144hz might be wasted after 2 or 3 when the 1070 can only push ~60 or so, hopefully.

edit: Oh, and I'm just using this for gaming/general desktop poo poo.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 6, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Arivia posted:

Speaking of the IPS/TN divide, how good are TN panels these days? I'm trying to figure out monitor(s) for a computer I might build and I'm kind of stuck on what I should get. I'm coming from a 15" MBP (pre-Retina, the glossy 1600x1050 screen) and I'm not sure if that was IPS or not. I'd probably be frustrated if I picked up a TN panel that looked worse, though. Pairing whatever I get with a 1070 and 1080p is fine by me. I'm looking to spend about $400 CAD or less pre-tax.

I'm debating between these two options:

Asus VG248QE (https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/rkphP6/asus-monitor-vg248qe) Big plus here is the 144hz refresh rate. I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, so higher than that should be even smoother. Problem is it's only TN. It seems to have good reviews though.

Or a pair of IPS 1080p@60 monitors, like https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/xMkD4D/asus-monitor-vs229hp or https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Lmw323/acer-monitor-umwh6aa002. Two monitors is great, they'd have IPS, but that 144hz is tempting. On the other hand, I'm probably keeping the computer for 5 years, and 144hz might be wasted after 2 or 3 when the 1070 can only push ~60 or so, hopefully.

edit: Oh, and I'm just using this for gaming/general desktop poo poo.

The MBP screen was IPS. That Asus you are looking at is garbage, TN screens vary in quality a lot, the cheaper ones are really terrible.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The 1080p144Hz monitors are still using the same panels from 5-6 years ago. They're about as absolutely loving terrible as TN screens get. Only buy them if you MUST have 144Hz and cannot stretch to a cheap S2417DG or one of the 144Hz VA Samsung's.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The above posters are severely exaggerating the level of terribleness of this display.

I'm typing this on a VG248QE on my desktop/gaming machine. I also have a Macbook Pro and an older Dell IPS display (2005FPW).

Does the Asus exhibit all the standard negative qualities associated with TN? Sure. Is it noticeable when sitting roughly in front of the thing, after taking 10 minutes to calibrate it? Not really.

TN panels are definitely the worst at color reproduction and there's a reason they only exist in cheap and "gamer" models, but people in this thread speak of them like they're going to rape your eyeballs. It's not that bad.

At one point I had a Dell 22" low-end TN panel, I forget the model but that one was truly terrible. It had almost a shimmer to it if you weren't at perfectly the right angle. That was as bad as these guys say, the VG248QE is not.

That said it is true that these are old monitors and really should be cheaper for what they are. I paid US$279 for mine retail in 2014 and based on your link at the current exchange rate you'd be paying roughly the equivalent of US$270 for it today. There's nothing else directly competing unfortunately.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

wolrah posted:

There's nothing else directly competing unfortunately.

FreeSync and VA for $20 more

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

That's not bad. I was comparing to the $250 price for the MG248Q (VG248QE without the now useless ability to support the G-Sync module) so it'd be a $50 difference, but still. Assuming the difference is comparable on the Canadian market then yeah I'd definitely agree that this is a much better choice.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

trinary posted:

What do people recommend for a desk-clamp monitor arm? I'm looking for good cable management, portrait/landscape rotation, and something that doesn't look like poo poo.

This one is strong enough to hold my 34" and has all that stuff you want, great build quality for the price: https://www.amazon.com/Ergotech-Freedom-Arm-HD-FDM-HD-S01/dp/B00FE2NVV4

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The MBP screen was IPS. That Asus you are looking at is garbage, TN screens vary in quality a lot, the cheaper ones are really terrible.

I thought that every Mac laptop before the Retina models was TN?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

eames posted:

I ordered the smaller Dell S2417DG for the same reasons, it seems to be good value for what it offers, has the rare combination of Gsync/acceptable design and gamer IPS panels have their fair share of QC problems compared to the usual TN downsides.

I've gotten this recently as well for $400 thanks to the sale that never ends on Dell's website. Really rare to see 24" 1440p screens and I'm very happy with it

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Zero VGS posted:

This one is strong enough to hold my 34" and has all that stuff you want, great build quality for the price: https://www.amazon.com/Ergotech-Freedom-Arm-HD-FDM-HD-S01/dp/B00FE2NVV4

the amazon basics arm is a good one as well (forearm has zip tie points, and theres a removable sleeve/channel on the lower arm), if you'd rather not have that mid-2000's curvy look :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

wolrah posted:

That's not bad. I was comparing to the $250 price for the MG248Q (VG248QE without the now useless ability to support the G-Sync module) so it'd be a $50 difference, but still. Assuming the difference is comparable on the Canadian market then yeah I'd definitely agree that this is a much better choice.

Nope $200 more up here. So okay, 144hz was a nicety not a need and I just won't get it. How about those IPS panels I linked. Are those okay? Is one better than the other? If they're both crappy I could just get a larger better one.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

Nope $200 more up here. So okay, 144hz was a nicety not a need and I just won't get it. How about those IPS panels I linked. Are those okay? Is one better than the other? If they're both crappy I could just get a larger better one.

Does Amazon US ship to you? They'll ship that monitor to me in Australia so I'd assume so

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

Does Amazon US ship to you? They'll ship that monitor to me in Australia so I'd assume so

They would, but between shipping + currency conversion + import fees + taxes, that pushes it to around $600 CAD again. Still not worth it for me, sadly.

e: Canada is very bad at e-commerce and the government + businesses like their captive market that way.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 7, 2017

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Variable_H posted:

Wait, did you pay the $570 that dell.com currently has it listed at? Cause it's only $470 on Amazon at the moment.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Boxman posted:

Wait, did you pay the $570 that dell.com currently has it listed at? Cause it's only $470 on Amazon at the moment.

Shiiiiiiiit I didn't even think to check Amazon.

Edit: Looks like buying via Dell got me a better/longer warranty? It's saying it has a 3 year warranty and Amazon just says it has a standard 1 year. 3 year feels better to me since in my experience devices tend to fail after a year, so potentially worth the extra hundo.

Edit 2: Or maybe the 3 year warranty is no matter where you buy it, but you have to deal with the retailer you bought it from according to some other forums??? I dunno, I'll just eat the extra money I paid and not worry about it.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 7, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

or you could cancel the dell order and reorder at amazon with a Spyder 5 Express for the same price :shrug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm going to order a XB271HU this week. Anything else I should look at instead? Anything else known to be coming out in the next 6 months I should wait for instead (i can just continue using my non-gsync monitors until then)?

70% of my time is spent in my browser and IDE the other 30% in FPS games. I have a 1080.

edit: I found a "recertified" XB271HK for $710. I don't really have any problem with getting a refurb, but I worry about how Windows and apps will work on a 27" 4k. Seems like everything will be too small. Also, I like high settings in my games.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 7, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I'm going to order a XB271HU this week. Anything else I should look at instead? Anything else known to be coming out in the next 6 months I should wait for instead (i can just continue using my non-gsync monitors until then)?

70% of my time is spent in my browser and IDE the other 30% in FPS games. I have a 1080.

edit: I found a "recertified" XB271HK for $710. I don't really have any problem with getting a refurb, but I worry about how Windows and apps will work on a 27" 4k. Seems like everything will be too small. Also, I like high settings in my games.

Avoid the HK unless you are willing to deal with things being tiny in cases where scaling does not work. Also avoid if you have anything less than a GTX 1080 to power your games at 4k+high/ultra settings.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Is there a current go-to for 4k 27" for general purpose and office use? Zero gaming usage. Seems like there are not a lot of monitors in the segment with lots of reviews outside of TN gaming panels and super highend gaming panels.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Infinotize posted:

Is there a current go-to for 4k 27" for general purpose and office use? Zero gaming usage. Seems like there are not a lot of monitors in the segment with lots of reviews outside of TN gaming panels and super highend gaming panels.

The Dell P2715Q, there are a fair number of reviews for it out there too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Avoid the HK unless you are willing to deal with things being tiny in cases where scaling does not work. Also avoid if you have anything less than a GTX 1080 to power your games at 4k+high/ultra settings.

Well, like I said I have 1080. I just don't know how big a deal the scaling issues would be.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Well, like I said I have 1080. I just don't know how big a deal the scaling issues would be.

It mostly works, but when it doesn't it's loving annoying as hell.

The hardware is finally kinda there for 4k, but Windows is still "in development" of a fully functional scaling solution (since it leaves a lot of scaling power to programs, and some of them are poo poo at it).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The added smoothness of 165Hz far outweighs the IQ difference between 4K and 1440p if you game at all, ESPECIALLY FPS games like you said Thermopyle.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'm a little late to the party, but the VG248QE is garbage. I had to urgently pick up a second monitor at Best Buy after my 9 year old Samsung TN panel died, and I went with the Asus VG248QE assuming it to be the best of a bad bunch. My primary monitor is a Dell U2312HM (so not exactly the latest and greatest), and it blows the Asus out of the water. 13 years ago when I was addicted to Counterstrike I'd have loved this Asus, but the poor colors keep me gaming on the Dell. I've only had it a month, but I'm already looking forward to dumping it later this year after I get a sense of what is coming out this Fall.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I have dual monitors, a personal PC (yes, I realize what the P stands for), and a docked work laptop that is completely locked down.

I want a KVM switch that will support any combination of monitor display. E.g all laptop, all PC, one of each, etc. Everything should at least be DVI. What are some recommendations?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hackan Slash posted:

I have dual monitors, a personal PC (yes, I realize what the P stands for), and a docked work laptop that is completely locked down.

I want a KVM switch that will support any combination of monitor display. E.g all laptop, all PC, one of each, etc. Everything should at least be DVI. What are some recommendations?

There are a number of dual monitor KVMs on the market, all the major brands have them.

That said, if you want to be able to mix and match where you have laptop A next to desktop B or similar what you'll want is called a matrix switcher. Those will let you route any input to any output.

The tricky thing is that to combine matrix switching and KVM can get expensive. You may be best off getting a home theater matrix switcher and pairing it with a cheap KVM handling just the USB peripherals.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Been looking at the following two monitors today:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...s/10564022.aspx

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/benq-32-4k-uhd-60hz-4ms-gtg-s-ips-led-monitor-pd3200u/10650674.aspx

Why is the HP Envy one so cheap? What's its problem? Has anyone tried BenQ monitors at 4k?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Volguus posted:

Been looking at the following two monitors today:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...s/10564022.aspx

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/benq-32-4k-uhd-60hz-4ms-gtg-s-ips-led-monitor-pd3200u/10650674.aspx

Why is the HP Envy one so cheap? What's its problem? Has anyone tried BenQ monitors at 4k?

The HP one has bad color reproduction and is terrible for games due to very slow response times and display lag. The BenQ is more expensive both because of size but more importantly because it is a professional monitor aimed at graphic designers, video editors, etc. It has stuff like a 10-bit color, full sRGB color gamut, a full set of controls for color adjustment and fast response times, it's significantly better than the HP one in just about every way but sort of overkill for normal use.

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005
A standard 1440p monitor isn't much superior to an ultra-wide 1080 (2560x1080) panel is it? Wouldn't I see a worse performance hit in games on a 1440p too?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You'd be rendering 2560x1440 pixels instead of 2560x1080 so yes on the performance hit.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Deep Thought posted:

A standard 1440p monitor isn't much superior to an ultra-wide 1080 (2560x1080) panel is it? Wouldn't I see a worse performance hit in games on a 1440p too?

Not sure what you mean by "superior," but it absolutely is larger. A 1440p is 33% more pixels than a 2560x1080 panel, so expect a performance hit in line with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Thermopyle posted:

I just bought a new XB271hu from Costco for :siren: 399$ :siren:

It was 100$ more just last week, so check local stores if possible.