Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Had to euthanize and bury my wife's horse today. Not a great day, but it had to be done.

But her mom agreed to come get (!) the kids and :frogsiren: keep them overnight :frogsiren:. So we'll actually eat out tonight like adults and such.

What happened to the horse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

rdb posted:

Clearly OP poisoned it as a scheme to get the kids out of the house.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rdb posted:

Thought about bees and died

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

He's always been very difficult on the ground, aggressive. Not natural horse behaviour. We've sent him to training more than once but he's gotten steadily worse over the years. Wife has had him for 11 years and he was 18 (off the track thoroughbred).

Last week we had an indecent with him, and the choice was to wait for a really big accident, or make a pre emptive move. A lot of thought and a lot of other persons were asked before this decision was reached, with heavy heart.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryrobots posted:

He's always been very difficult on the ground, aggressive. Not natural horse behaviour. We've sent him to training more than once but he's gotten steadily worse over the years. Wife has had him for 11 years and he was 18 (off the track thoroughbred).

Last week we had an indecent with him, and the choice was to wait for a really big accident, or make a pre emptive move. A lot of thought and a lot of other persons were asked before this decision was reached, with heavy heart.

Tough day. :(

Was that what happened with the fence incident?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That was the end of really a series of events, yes. We also have a young horse who is very submissive. The older horse was increasingly aggressive, and the feed stalls were an attempt to give the young horse the ability to eat in peace. It worked for almost a week, then every day the older horse got more aggressive until it ended in the fence incident.

More concerning than the damage, was before that happened my wife was standing by the young horse who was eating, guarding him with a whip, while the older aggressive horse circled back and forth like a shark, turning and acting like he was going to kick. Not even remotely normal horse (prey animal) behaviour.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Ohh wow. I have an OTTB as well, and I hope it never gets that bad. That really is a tough call.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

angryrobots posted:

That was the end of really a series of events, yes. We also have a young horse who is very submissive. The older horse was increasingly aggressive, and the feed stalls were an attempt to give the young horse the ability to eat in peace. It worked for almost a week, then every day the older horse got more aggressive until it ended in the fence incident.

More concerning than the damage, was before that happened my wife was standing by the young horse who was eating, guarding him with a whip, while the older aggressive horse circled back and forth like a shark, turning and acting like he was going to kick. Not even remotely normal horse (prey animal) behaviour.

Isn't that like some old world horse poo poo or wild horse or something? Maybe he was just a bittervet

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It's normal for one horse to dominate the rest of the herd but if they get aggressive to the point where they are a danger to people it's time to go. My in laws are both vets and had an older pony who was like that. She met the same fate after breaking someone's leg. You almost couldn't walk through the pasture without her trying to sneak up from behind and bite.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

angryrobots posted:

Last week we had an indecent with him

Ya'll from Enumclaw or something?

Sorry, had to. But I am sorry for your loss, that had to be a difficult decision.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm more wondering how bloody big a hole do you need to bury a horse.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Ohh wow. I have an OTTB as well, and I hope it never gets that bad. That really is a tough call.

Our other horse is also an OTTB, and if there's a silver lining to all this, my wife got him last year, fresh off the track on a hunch and he's turned out basically perfect. So she isn't without a ride, and we made this change before something bad happened between them which was probably inevitable. It would have been awful for the young horse full of opportunity to get hosed up physically or mentally.

Also got to meet our new large animal vet, who just started in January with her own business doing farm calls. She was super cool, knowledgeable and compassionate. So also nice to know we have someone local to call if there's something we can't handle. My wife is a vet tech and also the practice manager, but it's a small animal practice and she fully knows her limitations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

About 14'x14'x6'. I had my buddy bring over his backhoe to dig it on Thursday. I have a small tractor that I used to fill it in.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 7, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

financially racist posted:

stay way way the gently caress away

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Those are hellcars

You Am I posted:

Yeah, that's from Mercedes Malaise period. Avoid

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Talk him down to $250, then teach yourself to hotwire a car.

And replace an entire wiring harness, by which I mean the starter wire. Maybe the brake light wires if you're feeling punchy or you live somewhere with inspections. Sell the wire you don't need to a scrappy for copper value.

For engine management, JB weld a swap-meet weber on the intake manifold after tin-snipping a hole in the hood to clear it. Sell everything in the interior, strip the door cards, permanently jam the windows in the upright position, sell the entire power window apparatus on eBay to afford the car.

Drift stitch all the old-man body damage, or better yet just remove the bumpers and sell those on eBay/to a recycler as cores.

InitialDave posted:

Darchangel posted:

Would I be stupid to buy an E320
Yes.

Darchangel posted:

for $1000?
Someone else's, eh. Your $1000? Hahaha...

OK, I think I'm getting the vibe that there may be better options out there.
This is why I love you guys.

edit: sorry to hear about the horse, angryrobots. My sister deals with rescue horses, but has fortunatelynot had one anywhere near that aggressive.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 7, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If this wasn't a goon's horse there's a dog food joke there somewhere.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Rhyno posted:

If this wasn't a goon's horse there's a dog food joke there somewhere.

I'm sure with enough glue, you could piece something together....

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I'm sure with enough glue, you could piece something together....

:golfclap:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

OK, I think I'm getting the vibe that there may be better options out there.
This is why I love you guys.
I think you should do it.

Do exactly what I said. Post it on a Mercedes forum. Watch a bunch of 17-year-olds who refer to everyone as "cuzin" get immensely angry at you.

I don't have a good solution for how to do spark on the cheap, but maybe there's a trigger wheel that fits that you can jam into a Speeduino. But then more wires!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 7, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah uh.... jumping on the "gently caress late 90s/early 00s Mercedes" bandwagon.

If you do get it... make sure you don't park it near anything flammable unless you have good insurance and can add it to the eventual fire claim no don't do that

edit: holy poo poo, next week makes 12 11 years on SA. :corsair:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 7, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think you should do it.

Do exactly what I said. Post it on a Mercedes forum. Watch a bunch of 17-year-olds who refer to everyone as "cuzin" get immensely angry at you.

I don't have a good solution for how to do spark on the cheap, but maybe there's a trigger wheel that fits that you can jam into a Speeduino. But then more wires!

It was just a target of opportunity. I know I can fix stuff that ordinary "users" can't or won't. If it were a decent car, I'd fix it and drive it for a bit and sell it on, unless it just caught my fancy. I like my Crown Vic, but MB, leather, wood, class, you know. Too bad it's one of the crap-rear end ones.
Is it just the wiring harnesses that are biodegradable, or is the whole car a rolling dumpster fire?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

edit: holy poo poo, next week makes 12 years on SA. :corsair:

One of us is bad at math. I think it's you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well gently caress.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Well gently caress.

Lol. :regd06:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Shut up newbies

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I installed Strava. A week ago. I'm going to try to get out on the bike tonight, even if it's only a little 2-3k loop.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Post link so I can kudos
Do this

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^ and he will. Without fail.
Emphasis on the without fail part.

cakesmith handyman posted:

https://www.strava.com/activities/973975493/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1494099768

Poor cakesmith, thought of cadence and died.

I won't poo poo up the thread with these in the future, promise.
Its a start.
Now do it again, and get all the trophies.

Seminal Flu posted:

Metrics don't matter, you got out there and did it. Kudos given. Go do it again!
And this

Also 2004 reg date. So many years.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

You Am I posted:

Shut up newbies

Whatever newb :dong:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tomarse posted:

Whatever newb :dong:

Sixteen years? I'd expect your e-peen to be bigger than that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Moved into our new house this past week. Friday was a beautiful day, about 30C (86F) and thought it would be worthwhile to try the AC. Switch the thermostat over to AC mode, clicks on and off to the races. By late afternoon, I notice it's not as cool as I would have hoped so I played with the zone air dampeners to redirect more air upstairs than down. Dampeners are a little stiff and don't want to move well, so coincidentally the builder was just down the street so he came over and tried and had difficult too. He also agrees the AC isn't cooling great, so he wants to get the tin basher over the check the dampeners and AC unit to be safe.

Yesterday AM he comes over, tweeks the dampeners so they move better but he agrees the AC isn't cooling as well as he would have hoped. Goes outside to check the compressor to make sure it's operating fine, comes back in and says "Hey, uh, Slidebite, do me a favor and check your breaker for the AC"

Yep. Note to self, AC works better when it has power. :downs:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

It was just a target of opportunity. I know I can fix stuff that ordinary "users" can't or won't. If it were a decent car, I'd fix it and drive it for a bit and sell it on, unless it just caught my fancy. I like my Crown Vic, but MB, leather, wood, class, you know. Too bad it's one of the crap-rear end ones.
Is it just the wiring harnesses that are biodegradable, or is the whole car a rolling dumpster fire?

When the car works, it is very good. Only real downside in that regard is the later W210 had a V6 so it doesn't make nearly as nice a noise as the early I6 cars.

Buy it, boost it to the moon.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Crap, i got a job at a Kubota dealer. BRB, gotta go pretend i've been team orange for years...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

The whole car is a rolling dumpster fire, probably was before the warranty ran out on it. If you want a good cheap luxury car get an old Lexus basically.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if you want a good cheap luxury car, hunt down a subaru svx imo. they are some fuckin baller-rear end poo poo, and if i ever wanted something that was not a two-seater it'd be that.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

if you want a good cheap luxury car, hunt down a subaru svx imo. they are some fuckin baller-rear end poo poo, and if i ever wanted something that was not a two-seater it'd be that.

Grab one with broken glass for an even better deal!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol you're joking I hope.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol you're joking I hope.

hell no the svx fuckin rocks, i'd hope that's not a controversial opinion

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

hell no the svx fuckin rocks, i'd hope that's not a controversial opinion

You're either trolling, or haven't looked at them enough to see that their transmissions are fragile as hell and haven't been available for 15 years.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Crap, i got a job at a Kubota dealer. BRB, gotta go pretend i've been team orange for years...

Were you team blue or team green before?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

angryrobots posted:

Were you team blue or team green before?

Team "Hey shy boy from chess club, give me your old ford".

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Seminal Flu posted:

You're either trolling, or haven't looked at them enough to see that their transmissions are fragile as hell and haven't been available for 15 years.

lmao @ the thought of having one and not dropping a standard in it

though i guess that eliminates it being cheap so v:shobon:v

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 7, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

lmao @ the thought of having one and not dropping a standard in it

though i guess that eliminates it being cheap so v:shobon:v

Yep. Cheap is eliminated, so is "luxury." So I guess you're left with... "car." Yep, that's an SVX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's okay, someone wrote a 57 step guide to doing a manual swap on the SVX!

• Locked thread