Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

lol

I'm going to finish out the series and I'll still consider those first three episodes excellent, but MAN it hurts catching a glimpse of what might have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Eh, it was a bit clunky to spend a whole episode on just this, and in such a silly "whoops, they're naked, how awkward!" way, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about them being in a relationship. The slight goofiness actually made it feel more like an old Samurai Jack episode, it seems like being restored and regaining his sword made Jack act a lot more like his original self instead of the world-weary apocalyptic survivor he was for most of the season. In fact, the whole premise of wandering into some random monster by chance was a lot more like an original Samurai Jack episode, and if this were a full-length season or a full "however many seasons we want" revival I'd say it would've fit in fine.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dolash posted:

Eh, it was a bit clunky to spend a whole episode on just this, and in such a silly "whoops, they're naked, how awkward!" way, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about them being in a relationship. The slight goofiness actually made it feel more like an old Samurai Jack episode, it seems like being restored and regaining his sword made Jack act a lot more like his original self instead of the world-weary apocalyptic survivor he was for most of the season. In fact, the whole premise of wandering into some random monster by chance was a lot more like an original Samurai Jack episode, and if this were a full-length season or a full "however many seasons we want" revival I'd say it would've fit in fine.

I was super on board a regular monster-of-the-week samurai Jack episode after the rest of the season​, but then the monster fight was lame. :( I really think this episode is just not up to par in every aspect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
An important point I have is that I think we're supposed to think Ashi is Japanese.

Her Mom called herself her Mother-Sister.

I think Ashi and her sisters are the modern extension of Jack's own lineage.

I think Aku got a Japanese woman pregnant and she had 7 daughters and every generation one of them ascends to high priestess and becomes Aku's new bride. After a hundred generations we now have creatures that are almost entirely Aku with only the faintest trace of humanity left. That is why Ashi can just solo hulk-buster her way through a thousand mooks barehanded.

If this were a darker show I'd bet for an old-boy style twist here, (the first high priestess was Jack's but since we won't see that I'm happy just to assume that Ashi is drawn as Japanese because Aku is convinced that "the tiny yellow people from that lovely little island are the scariest humans, so they are the perfect breeding stock for my elite warrior priestess caste"

Haven't watched this weeks episode yet but I am certainly going to withhold judgement until the showrun is over.

Echoing 1-3 as probably the tightest any show has ever looked on CN.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

We all saw it, lemme get it out of my system before I go to bed.
*Sigh*

More heterosexuals AGAIN.

Couldn’t be platonic, or just be easily ignoreable straight subtext, like they afford all the straighties whenever we get “lgbt representation” nope.

I can live with this, I have lived with it my whole life, it’s fine.

BUT GODDAMNED HETEROSEXUALS!!!

I’ll still watch next episode anyway, because Samurai Jack is still cool.

look, i'm bi, i want more gay romances subplots too, but i don't think it's a big deal if a show doesn't have one

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mycot posted:

I was super on board a regular monster-of-the-week samurai Jack episode after the rest of the season​, but then the monster fight was lame. :( I really think this episode is just not up to par in every aspect.

i'm gonna heavily disagree, the monster fight was some classic jack, lots of action, movement, and humor with jack bumbling about with the device

i actually sincerely liked the fight, i just wish the episode around it had been as good

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Moon Slayer posted:

*Sigh*

Couldn’t be platonic, or just be easily ignoreable straight subtext, like they afford all the straighties whenever we get “lgbt representation” nope.

Lmao

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

Remember when Legend of Korra came out(hehehe) and the Book 1 stuff was "Doing Zuko-Katara shippers right."

wow.
Remember how the first four episodes of Legend of Korra were really really good?

What I'm saying is that time is a flat circle.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The real question is what new outfit is Ashi gonna get now that her woodland look is gone. Or is Jack gonna see out the rest of the series in his underwear?

Maybe there's some sci-fi armor in the downed ship.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Cliche af, but hey, it's nice to Jack get some after all the suffering and such.

Also I kinda dug the cheesy music cue at the end. I like it when shows are willing to take tonal risks.

Probably never going to watch it again tho and and looking much more forward to the next two.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I thought the episode was really funny and cute :shrug: The corny music is what really sold it for me.
Really the only disappointment for me is that we're only getting 10 episodes of this. This show's so good, the animation is so energetic and gorgeous. I could watch another 4 Seasons of this.
I need more Genndy after this, his style's sooooo good, it's only gotten better 13 years later

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm gonna heavily disagree, the monster fight was some classic jack, lots of action, movement, and humor with jack bumbling about with the device

i actually sincerely liked the fight, i just wish the episode around it had been as good

Though one does have to wonder why they bothered to lock up a monster like that in the first place. Or even how they managed to do it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you only wonder that if it matters, and really, it doesn't

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That relationship burgeoned quickly.

I liked the leech monster though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Dolash posted:

The real question is what new outfit is Ashi gonna get now that her woodland look is gone. Or is Jack gonna see out the rest of the series in his underwear?

Maybe there's some sci-fi armor in the downed ship.

Well the preview for the next episode shows Jack fully clothed and alone, so he either helped her find a new outfit, or left her naked in an alien prison in the middle of the desert.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

mycot posted:

Normally I don't get how goons turn on things in order to go "hot take: X was never good :smuggo:", I'm actually feeling this myself. :(

I believe I have some rationale for it though, since establishing a relationship this early means it's almost certainly going to play a part in the finale in a really stupid way. Something like Ashi hanging off of one cliff, while Aku is dangling off another.

Prediction: this was all so that Ashi, the 18 year old who only had freedom in her life for only a week, would become pregnant and that she will raise a new generation of mini Jacks (despite the tonal dissonance in the fact that doing so is a repeat of what her own abusive mom did to her). Cue them looking tough at the camera in the last seconds of the show. Wha-cha.

Edit: vvv it wasn't just this episode dude. It's been every episode since the fourth one that's been less than quality and making questionably dumb decisions.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 7, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Das Boo posted:

I'm remembering some weeks back when that second episode premiered and how I was just floored at the quality. The cinematography, the choreography, the pacing, the backgrounds, the music. I watched it several times and admired everything that went into it. How cool is it to do this tier of quality in a TV show, where you don't have the constraints of a movie? You can develop better characters, deeper atmosphere and take the time to build suspense without worrying about wrapping up the plot in 90 minutes. And all the cool, meditative, artistic shots can fit in with room to spare for comedic scenes. gently caress, this is great!

And then here we are. :geno:

Most of that stuff was in this episode, come on dude. The shots of the desert and the interior of the ship and the fight choreography were all amazing. So it was a lighthearted romantic subplot, if you don't like that I can understand. But it's not like the show suddenly became Nutshack for an episode

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Rhonne posted:

Well the preview for the next episode shows Jack fully clothed and alone, so he either helped her find a new outfit, or left her naked in an alien prison in the middle of the desert.

It's probably just another flashback to explain what happened to the Guardian portal (it's basically the same area with the remains of all the former champions that tried to challenge him for the portal).

I think she's going to wear his Gi for a bit, so the Scotsman can have a quick laugh when he finally catches up with them and draws the obvious conclusion.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 7, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Not gonna lie, I cracked the gently caress up through most of this... Even as I was cringing hard at the Jack/Ashi stuff.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also:

Mr.Tophat posted:

Anyone who thinks that Ashi will become a love interest is idiotic.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
^^^ I guess it turns out Genndy's an idiot.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It was a fine normal episode of Samurai Jack.

It's worth noting the importance of the song at the end and how it plays over the red Jack eyes that appear before the credits. It's not the song itself, but the absence of the usual theme song, "Gotta get back, back to the past..." It's literally the first time in over 50 years of life that Jack has been satisfied with where he is and doesn't want to get back to the past.

Besides that time he had amnesia.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If they were going to hook up, I would've rather had it at the end of Episode 10 rather than right before Episode 9.

It feels like this is just happening so Aku can find out about Ashi and then kidnap her when Scaramouche inevitably tells him about the sword.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

A lot of people posted:

Wha-cha

You guys do know it's saying "Watch out", right?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What actually bothered me about this episode is that the darker season 5 opening is still the same when we know that Jack isn't miserable and broken anymore.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I was kind of hoping we'd get an updated opening now that we know he's found his way again.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know, I think there's an audience for whom "the suffering continues" will resonate.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Moon Slayer posted:

*Sigh*

source your quotes

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Augus posted:

Most of that stuff was in this episode, come on dude. The shots of the desert and the interior of the ship and the fight choreography were all amazing. So it was a lighthearted romantic subplot, if you don't like that I can understand. But it's not like the show suddenly became Nutshack for an episode

It's a Gestalt thing, friend. Same reason Sucker Punch didn't work.
And I'm not exactly sure why, but the fight choreography has been far more static and less dimensional than in the first three episodes. There was this great momentum they had going where it outpaced you and you felt harried by how quickly you had to respond to the action. The movement was dimensional and supplemented by the camerawork. If you look at the fights outside episodes one and two in particular, you'll notice the vast majority take place on a flat plane and there's more panning than actual moving in regards to the camera.

The shot that really comes to mind is Jack trying to escape the tomb and the camera keeping OTS as he's grabbing the corners and propelling himself forward. It puts you in his frame of mind exactly; you don't know any more or less than he does at that moment. That's why when the sister appears from around the corner, you feel that jut in your senses because you become aware of her at the exact time he does.

Actually, did someone else storyboard for episode two? It's really on another level.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I can understand why people hated this episode, which was about two people, who were broken as children because of an ancient shape-shifting master of darkness, having a kiss in the heat of the moment, after nearly dying to a regenerating slug monster.

No, really, no catch, you got valid concerns. So is "how in the hell did that leaf dress stay that green for so long?"

Also interesting was - "Did that monster absorb all the other prisoners?" The implication of that crowd of forms it took towards the end seems to be "yes".

The tacky romance aside, I really enjoyed the settings in this episode.

Edit: also hi Das Boo how's things

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Literally Kermit posted:

Edit: also hi Das Boo how's things

DIIIH-SAAAAH-POIHN-TIIIING.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Literally Kermit posted:

I can understand why people hated this episode, which was about two people, who were broken as children because of an ancient shape-shifting master of darkness, having a kiss in the heat of the moment, after nearly dying to a regenerating slug monster.

Honestly, my biggest problem was they wasted one of ten episodes of this final season of Samurai Jack on a romance that wasn't really necessary.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,this show has officially lost me now with the new episode. I'm probably gonna skip the rest of it. I might watch the finale if it turns out to be any good, but it probably won't.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Your loss.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Das Boo posted:

DIIIH-SAAAAH-POIHN-TIIIING.

Yeah, I hear ya. I think the whole season needed more than just ten episodes.

Ashi went from villain to hero in a couple of episodes, without much implication much time passed between them (the fanservice episode at least had implied time skips, and why Ashi's gotten a lot better interacting with the outside world, but this is literally the first episode with classic Jack back, and not much development at all).

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Honestly, my biggest problem was they wasted one of ten episodes of this final season of Samurai Jack on a romance that wasn't really necessary.

I agree, it's very awkwardly tacked on.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Not really. Since Jack has tanked so hard,now I have a perfect opportunity to watch a show in my backlog that hasn't shot itself in the foot yet:Star VS the Forces of Evil.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh man I knew as soon as where I saw this episode going that there were gonna be a lot of angry nerds on the internet and it's great.

That was cute, and at least the fan service established Ashi has had zero interaction with people outside of murdering them. Bumbling fight romance was just the best. :allears:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

VolticSurge posted:

So,this show has officially lost me now with the new episode. I'm probably gonna skip the rest of it. I might watch the finale if it turns out to be any good, but it probably won't.

holy poo poo better inform adult swim that ***VolticSurge*** has stopped watching.....

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Really, though, if that is the Guardian's "graveyard" he's passing through in the teaser, I'm hyped to see it finally concluded, especially when that had some of the best choreography of the original series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
As soon as I finished the episode, I knew I would see a ton of upset people. Not that I don't understand, I was really hoping for a platonic Jack/Ashi relationship :(. Maybe the romance would have worked/seemed less rushed if we got loving 13 EPISODES INSTEAD OF A MEASLY 10 AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

• Locked thread