Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Went to bed after beating this game last night and it's all I can think about this morning.

Also I looked it up and apparently the chorus of Ending E is the whole dev team singing together - including Yoko Taro.

What a wonderful game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Bad Seafood posted:

What a wonderful game.
Yeah It's a Yoko Taro game with a sorta-uplifting lingering mood

im pretty sure this means one of the seven seals was broken to make it or something

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah It's a Yoko Taro game with a sorta-uplifting lingering mood

im pretty sure this means one of the seven seals was broken to make it or something

It's fine. The Second Seal of the Gaming Apocalypse is Capcom releasing a new, good MegaMan, and that'll never happen.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like how they went out of their way with this game to make drifting a thing that only boars can do. You can't drift on a moose, only boar-drifting is allowed.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
I'm still not sure how the boar drifting works. WHat button do i press to Multi-Hoof Drift?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Press the dodge/sprint button again after you start sprinting

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Just finished Persona 5 and I really wanted to try this game after all the praise it's received. I'm sure this is a very tired question, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Will the combat system ever open up or become more fun for me if it isn't particularly interesting at the start? A little surprised directional inputs don't seem to matter at the start.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's not ever going to be a Bayonetta/MGR-type game so you may want to disabuse yourself of any of those notions off the bat. I thought it got more interesting when you got different weapons or chips. There is a major gameplay addition later on that some people were OK with and other people hated, which probably depends on how much you like twin-stick shooters

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
You're right I'll work to disengage myself from that bias. I am super interested in the story so far so I'll use that as an anchor moving forward. Thank you for the feedback.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

JackDarko posted:

Just finished Persona 5 and I really wanted to try this game after all the praise it's received. I'm sure this is a very tired question, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Will the combat system ever open up or become more fun for me if it isn't particularly interesting at the start? A little surprised directional inputs don't seem to matter at the start.

If you play the demo you will see all the unlocked sword combos with 2B and it doesn't change a lot unless you mean shooter parts.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Well, I finished it.
gently caress you Square Enix Co., Ltd. you motherfucking bullet hell piece of poo poo
But other than that, :unsmith:

Moatman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 6, 2017

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Well I managed to get through E without crashing! Now all I have to do is find 13 Elaborate Gadgets :negative:

and also get the gold tank to spawn so I can get the last 1% I need to get 5 of them as a reward for a quest

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
While the combat isn't very deep, there are some extra moves the game doesn't bother telling you about. Like, press heavy attack right after jump to do a launcher. I think this reddit post covers most of it. Also, I enjoyed fighting a lot more when I rebound the buttons, like putting pod primary fire on L2.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, thinking about it, it kinda makes sense 2B is the Taro Yoko protagonist to get a happy ending.

She's the one who acknowledges her sins. Where Caim and Zero slaughter on forward until the end of the world comes along, and Nier (and Nowe, for a non-Taro Drakengard example) don't realize the weight of what they're doing, 2B is well aware she's a sinner.

Ending A has her acknowledge machines are the same as androids, the Engles sidequest has her admit that she can be charged with the same things that brought him death, and then there's, oh yeah, the fact she's killing the man she loves on a regular basis, which seems the kind of thing that would put everything into sharp relief.

Moreover, she's the only one who tries to minimize escalation. (which happens anyway, but it's not all on her) Look at the amusement park. 9S wants to kill party tank. 2B's the one who says to let it keep on keeping on if the player holds back. Her memories influence A2 to spare Pascal, and she's pretty quick to let a little desertion or similar slide for someone so by-the-book. She does a nasty job she thinks is necessary, but she acknowledges it's a horrible part of a horrible world, and doesn't take it any further than she has to.

For a professional killer in a Taro Yoko game, she's a surprisingly decent person.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Honestly I feel 2B is pretty underdeveloped compared to the other protagonists. It doesn't help that she basically is just A2 with different experiences

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nina posted:

Honestly I feel 2B is pretty underdeveloped compared to the other protagonists. It doesn't help that she basically is just A2 with different experiences

I'm still disappointed that A2 didn't turn out to be a rogue transporter instance of 2B

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nina posted:

I'd disagree.

It's just a lot of her fleshing out is most visible in retrospect. The way her and 9S interact seems to mean one thing when he's a stranger she just met, and is fairly odd, but with the context from route C, it shows something different entirely.

This includes a lot of sidequests, especially amnesia and Engles repair. 2B's an executioner in love with her mark, a good soldier who knows her work isn't always good, and a soft touch who tries to keep her emotions on a tight leash so she doesn't get hurt.

2B's based on A2, but she's quite a different person, and I'd say the more fleshed out one, at least in the game proper. (Can't comment on the play).

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 7, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'd just love to see where her character comes from. You see that with 9S over the course of the game and with A2 if you read the stage play translation which btw should be in the game and it sucks that it isn't but with 2B her character's core is just something you're told about instead of actually getting to see it. It's hard for me to get invested in who she is when we never really get her point of view outside the false role she's made to play

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Snak posted:

I'm still disappointed that A2 didn't turn out to be a rogue transporter instance of 2B

With all the focus on the transporter shenanigans, I thought for sure the system would be used later on to get back at me somehow. Like the game would keep a rough list of all bodies you've "discarded" via save transport or upload, and you would fight them all later on in a kind of hosed up The Sorrow style fight or whatever. I guess there WAS some sort of hord battle against 2Bs, but there was no link to the transporter. Would've been funny to just stumble upon a giant pile of discarded androids, each with a little prompt that tells you just when you killed them by transporting.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

the problem with toobee is her big character twist is revealed right at the end of the game, at which point she has been dead for over 10 hours or something. it puts a lot of her early game actions and reactions into much diffrent light so you never really get to understand her properly until that point. before the 2e reveal you could assume she is just concerned about 9s and has a slightly creepy obsession with a person she just met. after 2e reveal it turns out while its a concern for 9s life, its even more about her having to do the killing, and the creepy obsession turns out to be not so creepy and more understandable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Iretep posted:

the problem with toobee is her big character twist is revealed right at the end of the game, at which point she has been dead for over 10 hours or something. it puts a lot of her early game actions and reactions into much diffrent light so you never really get to understand her properly until that point. before the 2e reveal you could assume she is just concerned about 9s and has a slightly creepy obsession with a person she just met. after 2e reveal it turns out while its a concern for 9s life, its even more about her having to do the killing, and the creepy obsession turns out to be not so creepy and more understandable.

It also explains a lot of weird apparent inconsistencies, like 2B's attitude towards the machines being much more empathetic than Nines's, but when he starts wondering about things, her snapping right back to "None of it means anything". Initial context, it's just odd.

Full context, it's "For the love of all that's holy, Nines, stop asking questions that might force me to kill you."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I figured that 2B and 9S had a long history together, just not that 2B was specialized for E functions. I mean, it's reflected in the Wandering Couple side plot, where despite multiple memory resets, the two of them are destined to repeatedly fall in love with one another (pay no mind to the other little twist in that relationship).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This NieR Automata live concert oooooooooh sheeeit

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/...3D68%23lastpost

yeah :3:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The [E]nd of YoRHa encore performance must have been amazing in person.

Sharing the links is probably filesharing but you can find it where you can find things if you wanna find things.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Route C Spoilers: I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing players reacting to the opening credits.

It's such a good payoff. Most people are slightly spoiled and know that Route C is important, but they usually assume it will be entirely from A2's perspective and during the same time as Route A/B. Then the Preview shows YorHa in full nazi-regalia mode, so they assume YorHa must be the bad guys and the commander will be an end-game enemy. And then the bunker explodes, "Crumbling Lies" kicks in, opening credits start (20+ hours into the game), and they realize the wild ride has just begun.

Another twist of expectations occurs during Pascal's big mission. Most people assume that the children robots are dead (or are at least being attacked), but no one expects Pascal's earlier actions inadvertently caused the mass suicide.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 7, 2017

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Oh my god how did I not find this Shin Godzilla machine before, this is the best! Holy gently caress. Holy poo poo.

Well now I know what my favorite machine type in the game probably is, goddammit.

DLC spoilers: I'm having a lot of fun with this DLC, honestly (even at level 68; the "final" trial in the desert was a huge challenge but so satisfying when I nailed it), but that's partly because one of my favorite segments in the game was playing as 9S hacking a bunch of robots through the factory to help Pascal and 2B, and because I love weird limited challenge missions in games with solid combat (like the challenge missions in Devil May Cry, or the Alfheims in Bayonetta). Even more so because there's a fair chunk of worldbuilding and story going on in what I thought would just be fun arena fights, and I really appreciate a couple of the arenas just having huge piles of upgrade parts lying around while I finish upgrading all my weapons to +4.

The revelation that the desert machines aren't just emulating Facade without knowing what the place was about was pretty awesome. I like that not only are they still creating rules to this day, but even machines, who you think would be perfect for memorizing that kind of thing, occasionally forget which rules are which. And then they expect you, their king, to live up to all of them anyway.

I'm also very amused that the two strongest machines for the Poke-machine Colosseum are the gun stubby and the small axe biped. If you're good with dodges and timing, those things wreck poo poo.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really hate this speed star quest. I guess I have to farm movement speed chips and speed salves.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Ularg posted:

I really hate this speed star quest. I guess I have to farm movement speed chips and speed salves.

Come back to it when you've naturally picked up some speed chips/evade distance chips. There's also a couple of pod programs that will help you out if you fire them immediately upon starting the race.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Squidtentacle posted:

Oh my god how did I not find this Shin Godzilla machine before, this is the best! Holy gently caress. Holy poo poo.

Well now I know what my favorite machine type in the game probably is, goddammit.

If that's the one I'm thinking of it's a one-off​spawn for a sidequest that you'll almost always have the items for as soon as you take it. Good thing that the quest is what gives you the unit data. Better thing that it sticks around afterwards so you can still go see it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, question, is there a 100% quest completion achievement or just 80%?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

iospace posted:

Ok, question, is there a 100% quest completion achievement or just 80%?

Only 80%. It's very lenient and I'm glad for it

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So you're saying I don't have to do the speed star quest for platinum?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Ularg posted:

Since it doesn't reward you with anything unique, no you don't have to do it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But you should, if you're​ not some kind of quitter. They're all doable with no chips, look up the routes to take.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Dabir posted:

If that's the one I'm thinking of it's a one-off​spawn for a sidequest that you'll almost always have the items for as soon as you take it. Good thing that the quest is what gives you the unit data. Better thing that it sticks around afterwards so you can still go see it.

Is it? I just found him standing around in the forest.

And also in the forest DLC arena, which is fun to deal with alongside all the other bullshit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ularg posted:

Just look up how to do it online. It's extremely easy if you're going the right way and watching videos takes the having to figure the right way part out of it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I know the right way, but I end up getting beaten because I can't just fly up the ledges like I see others do, I have to do that slow animation.

Anyway, I'm now further in the game, just got these new Type-3 weapons after losing 9S and for some reason now I can't hit up on the d-pad to switch to my second weapon set, no matter what is in it.

Edit: Welp I fixed it by tapping down for healing items, then up again. What a weird bug.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Speed Star does have a very good reward though. he explodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ularg posted:

You don't, actually! There's a trick you can use to trivialize it.
Time slows down when you start charging up a pod program. Charge it, cancel the charge with R1/whatever button you have fire bound to, and then charge again

McDragon posted:

Speed Star does have a very good reward though. he explodes

I cracked up at how the machine holding the flag is just like "Wow, what was up with that weirdo?" And then he explodes too, inexplicably.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 7, 2017