Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's spelled "git."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Man I'm gonna be thinking about that for awhile

"You're still a good person."

All this talk about the connection and disconnection between the player and the character in terms of dialogue choices and other actions reminds me of the reception of Spec-Ops in that while some people treated the story as a cool story about the character and you are a bit of a floating conscience/last bit of sanity watching everything crumble, from what I could tell, most treated the story as a bad story about the player and they felt they had been unjustly cheated into making choices they didn't want to. I wonder if there are specific elements that make people bend towards the 'player=character' position and create the whole 'condoning behavior' argument.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

FutureCop posted:

"You're still a good person."

All this talk about the connection and disconnection between the player and the character in terms of dialogue choices and other actions reminds me of the reception of Spec-Ops in that while some people treated the story as a cool story about the character and you are a bit of a floating conscience/last bit of sanity watching everything crumble, from what I could tell, most treated the story as a bad story about the player and they felt they had been unjustly cheated into making choices they didn't want to. I wonder if there are specific elements that make people bend towards the 'player=character' position and create the whole 'condoning behavior' argument.

Some games definitely present themselves as letting you make your own character and your own decisions, where even if there are always limits they try to give you enough space to develop your own motivations and justifications for what you do. A lot of games have toed the line in recent years by having characters with fairly strong personalities whom you nevertheless can push in one direction or the other, and the presence of dialogue branches, exclusive decisions (hang out with X or Y), and optional side content might encourage people in thinking they've got more control over the character's development.

Basically, "Choice" is the single most loaded word in video games. Interaction is one of the distinguishing features of video games as a medium, particularly as a storytelling one, so every game involves a certain amount of engagement and decision-making from the player. What people imagine when someone offers them "choice" though is this huge, sprawling mesh of misconceptions and influences and trends and hopes all balled together, which is why every forum where RPGs are discussed are roiling arguments about whether the choices were meaningless or not. That's why a lot of games (including probably Nigh In The Woods) get called a Walking Simulator, since even if the player is constantly making choices, unless those decisions are validated by some kind of difference then they're often not seen as real.

You could probably make a good video game that was exclusively about exploring and messing with the concept of choice as seen in games so far.

Edit: Also the Super Best Friends are funny and so far as I know haven't been revealed to be Nazis yet which puts them above the fold so far as streamers are concerned.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 4, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

Oh,good to hear. Because that last part where you have to press ALL THE BUTTONS at once destroyed me.

You can use the keyboard 1-4 to play too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

You could probably make a good video game that was exclusively about exploring and messing with the concept of choice as seen in games so far.

It was called The Stanley Parable and it was grand.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oxxidation posted:

It was called The Stanley Parable and it was grand.

Right, I remember that one. That was good.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There's another Chinese made game called icey but I haven't tried that

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I like Super Best Friends a whole lot and I laughed several times during their LP, guess that makes me a bad person

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Woopah
godamnit Matt

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Scott Benson mentioned in an interview on a podcast that the rhythm game segments were designed so that you'd easily mess them up, because Mae canonically is a terrible bass player.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If you 100% perfect all three bass segments you actually unlock the Good Ending where Mae gets her poo poo together and becomes a contributing member of society. Unfortunately, her contribution involves becoming Cthulhu's chosen one and punting her friends down the hole.

Edit: For real though if you can do the solo bit in pumpkin head guy I'm gonna have to assume you're possessed and can also spin your head around 360 on command.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 4, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Apparently they were even harder and the guy that did the music had to be told to tone it down.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I like Super Best Friends a whole lot and I laughed several times during their LP, guess that makes me a bad person

They are not bad and I'm actually enjoying it. I feel like discovering an entire world of LP'ers thanks to this game.

Some good, some bad, but the reaction to the game and some of the cuter lines is usually worth it.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Just got the game and am really enjoying it so far. I've had to skip a majority of the thread because it's a mine field of spoiler tags, so apologies if this has been asked before.

1) Is the game worth replaying? I know you have to decide who you hang out with and that locks you into a certain story path. Should I explore both paths by replaying it?

For reference, I've hung out with Bae once.

2) Is there a super duper secret ending where you have to press exactly this button, then go here and collect this thing, then spend 4 hours walking left on the second screen to get it? Or can I safely just play the game to completion and see the ending?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

User0015 posted:

Just got the game and am really enjoying it so far. I've had to skip a majority of the thread because it's a mine field of spoiler tags, so apologies if this has been asked before.

1) Is the game worth replaying? I know you have to decide who you hang out with and that locks you into a certain story path. Should I explore both paths by replaying it?

2) Is there a super duper secret ending where you have to press exactly this button, then go here and collect this thing, then spend 4 hours walking left on the second screen to get it? Or can I safely just play the game to completion and see the ending?

1) Yes, the game encourages at least two playthroughs to do everything (hanging out with Gregg vs. Bea is the big variance)
2) No and yes respectively

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

User0015 posted:

1) I'd recommend going with the same person for the first two days.
2) I don't know.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
There's no secret ending, but there are a few sidestory events you have to fulfill requirements for.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

eatenmyeyes posted:

1) I'd recommend going with the same person for the first two days.
2) I don't know.

Go with the same person for all three days imo. There is really no reason to do a different for the third, especially since there are usually call backs to stuff that happens in later events and so it'll make the later events with those characters even better. But mostly you'll get a more complete "character arc" by seeing all there is about that one character for a game. Also if you don't talk to Lori M every day, make sure you do that at least in your second playthrough.

Not cause you get a better ending or anything, Lori M is just the best, that's all.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Finished the game with Bae.

What a good game. The writing is amazing, characters, everything. I ended up rushing through it at 3am to see the ending, something I never do these days. Fantastic.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bea

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bea is bae

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bae is their fusion form where they combine to make one extremely socially-maladjusted person.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Their closest possible proximity

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

bea is bae

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

There will never be enough covers of the band songs imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol5hwWX36eA

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

I could probably do without this imo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Paul Zuvella posted:

I could probably do without this imo

Lmao

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've liked most of the covers I've heard but the Taking Back Sunday edition's a bit much.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I just got this. The music is excellent, as is the writing. Playing bass was hilariously awkward until I figured out why.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got 100% on all the songs until the solo part of the last song. gently caress that part :stare:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Gregg is great.

You might even say, Gregg rulz

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Innerguard posted:

You might even say, Gregg rulz

...ok?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The Soft Girl covers are easily the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQMp86l-EMg

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Opposing Farce posted:

The Soft Girl covers are easily the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQMp86l-EMg

This one deserves a lot more views, I feel like it nails what the "original" song would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjrMazXdQm4

Kinda wanna do a bad cover of Die Anywhere Else now, I spent a good 30min figuring out the bassline anyways.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kYTe25h-bU

I like this cover. That metal cover a few posts up belongs in the trash

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This one really deserves more attention than it's gotten.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Woah, that one's actually really good.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dias posted:

Kinda wanna do a bad cover of Die Anywhere Else now, I spent a good 30min figuring out the bassline anyways.

For me, it's the bassline in Weird Autumn, but since I play bass worse than Mae I haven't actually been able to work it out.

Edit: It was actually kind of funny during the game proper to bomb those bass segments and have everyone dump on Mae for being so terrible, while I was thinking "this my best bass-work ever, I was very nearly on beat!"

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 9, 2017

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

This may be bad

But it is also the most canonical of all covers. Fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like the metal cover I just hate the singing.

If he stopped singing it would be good.

Please stop singing.