Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

http://phandroid.com/2017/05/05/motorola-verizon-droid-branding-rumor/amp/

Everyone can thank me. Motorola sent me quite a few surveys at the end of last year (probably wondering why my string of Moto ownership was broken) and I slammed them on backtracking on fully universal devices after releasing the MXP. I ranked that just behind monthly security updates as reasons why I wouldn't recommend the devices to others and reasons why I wouldn't consider buying a new Moto device.

So, YOU'RE WELCOME.

That's actually kind of cool that they gave a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Scaramouche posted:

Everyone loves drinking a coffee and messing with their phone am I right?

Well what if the the phone could brew the coffee???

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mokase/mokase-your-mobile-phone-cover-makes-even-coffee

Risks and Challenges

There are no particular risks in the realization of this idea also because we have developed a business plan confirming its feasibility. 
Moreover, we are persuaded that to work hardly and to have good ideas is always a positive thing. 
If your support will go further our expectations, we are ready to do one's part; for this reason, we have already considered a prodution enlargement right to be ready to every chance of success. 
All this will be our future common plan... it'll be our own next challenge!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Kickstarter: Or how knockoffs will already start appearing in Shenzhen before you even complete your funding.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

Risks and Challenges

There are no particular risks in the realization of this idea also because we have developed a business plan confirming its feasibility. 
Moreover, we are persuaded that to work hardly and to have good ideas is always a positive thing. 
If your support will go further our expectations, we are ready to do one's part; for this reason, we have already considered a prodution enlargement right to be ready to every chance of success. 
All this will be our future common plan... it'll be our own next challenge!

Oh alright I was worried for a minute but now I'm confident this will go fine.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It'd be one thing to mock high cost phones charging a premium for having unnecessarily high specs, but these phones are 1/4 to 1/2 the price, remember? Yes, they aren't as good as phones 4x the cost, but... that's a given. They may not have the best software before a custom ROM is applied, but neither has any Galaxy phone.

I've had my new cheap phone for a while now, and it's honestly fantastic. Would a phone that cost be $600 more be better? Almost surely. I think the psychology of DEFEND YOUR PURCHASE is proportional to device cost; people seem almost personally offended at the idea of cheaper phones with better specs. Yes, specs can be less important than optimization and software. But they are significantly cheaper phones, so duh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At this stage of the game though, the software IS the thing driving the quality of the device. That's why most in here would be more likely to recommend an even cheaper G5 Plus with lesser specs than a One Plus because the overall experience is likely to be better as Moto has optimized the poo poo out of the SD625.

About the only $400 level phone I would recommend at this point is the Moto Z Play for the insane battery life and that same optimized SD625.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

bull3964 posted:

At this stage of the game though, the software IS the thing driving the quality of the device.

To a large extent, definitely. But there are important specs that these cheaper Chinese flagships phones have that the budget phones don't that are important to the user experience. E.g. my $250 phone has 128gb of internal storage and a 1440p resolution.

I think the decision between budget phone and a cheap Chinese flagships comes down to how willing you are to mess with the OS on the latter to make it not terrible.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I doubt a 1440p resolution is important to the user experience.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cage-free egghead posted:

lmao OnePlus "confirms" to The Verge that the OnePlus 5 will be out this summer. It will include 8gb of memory.

It's like they know they're a loving joke.

Please tell me they're at least using a 64 bit CPU otherwise laffo.

Edit: Windows? In a virtual machine? On your ARM-CPU phone? Uh no.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 6, 2017

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I doubt a 1440p resolution is important to the user experience.

Hmm, perhaps it's more of an edge case. I think it's useful for VR and remoting into Macs (which share the same resolution)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Please tell me they're at least using a 64 bit CPU otherwise laffo.

P sure anything newer than the SD 808 is 64 bit, that's the least of things to be concerned about here.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If it were anyone but OnePlus saying this, it might be interesting, even if there's not really an application that needs 8 GB on most pocket computers right now.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If it were anyone but Oneplus saying this it might be interesting because theoretically another company would have some sort of idea what to do with 8gb of ram.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Arcanen posted:

To a large extent, definitely. But there are important specs that these cheaper Chinese flagships phones have that the budget phones don't that are important to the user experience. E.g. my $250 phone has 128gb of internal storage and a 1440p resolution.

I think the decision between budget phone and a cheap Chinese flagships comes down to how willing you are to mess with the OS on the latter to make it not terrible.

Here's the thing though: Since most of the Chinese budget phones run stock Android or MIUI they will fly even on just A53 quads and 2GB+ RAM. Flagship specs are really, really overrated in this day and age.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I got a Oneplus 3T about 3 weeks ago or something, and I'm outraged that they're producing a new p-

Haha I don't care. Also this phone is great but I'd say that about anything cause I was upgrading from a 5s. It's a good reliable phone for a reasonable price and I am pleased.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Toalpaz posted:

I got a Oneplus 3T about 3 weeks ago or something, and I'm outraged that they're producing a new p-

Haha I don't care. Also this phone is great but I'd say that about anything cause I was upgrading from a 5s. It's a good reliable phone for a reasonable price and I am pleased.

Pixel warriors assemble

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN is probably in a full sprint towards his computer from wherever he is right now

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Cheap rear end poo phone that runs stock Android with somehow overpowered hardware > paying for the privilege to have Sarnsung gently caress middling tier hardware while charging a premium for their brand to boot.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I liked my OP3 a lot, it was significantly better than the garbage turd that was the Moto X Pure. I hope the next OP has 24GB of ram so all the Pixel people have a coronary

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You think we're mad you buy lovely phones? We're just trying to help people make better decisions.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

You think we're mad you buy lovely phones? We're just trying to help people make better decisions.

The best help you can give is to provide sound advice: dont buy a pixel anything and Samsung makes the best phones.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Please inform me, people. Is there any great reason to buy the Moto Z Play over the Moto G(5) Plus? You get a 0.3" larger screen that's AMOLED instead of IPS, a ~500 mAh larger battery, possibly better cameras, a (subjectively) better colour on the back, and Moto Mods that I would never use. But, you also get 32 GB less internal storage and 1 GB less RAM. It's basically $180 (CAD) extra here in Canada over importing a G5 Plus from Amazon and I'm guessing it's not really worth it. From the recent leak, it sounds like the Z2 Play is basically just going to be the same as the 64 GB G5 Plus (including the smaller battery size) but with the larger AMOLED screen and a Snapdragon 626 instead of 625, so I'm guessing it probably still won't be worth spending another $200 over the Moto G Plus.

My Moto G 2014 (the 8 GB, 1 GB RAM model because I was cheap) has really been showing its age lately (unable to keep any music/podcasts playing while using a second program, severe slowdowns and crashes when running single newer, more intensive apps, etc.), and the camera was unresponsive and crashed as soon as I opened it yesterday, so I'm finally fed up and need to replace it. This is after having done factory resets and cache partition wipes and all of that, so it's just the way the phone is. The lack of performance and flakiness just finally got to me.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Grog posted:

Please inform me, people. Is there any great reason to buy the Moto Z Play over the Moto G(5) Plus? You get a 0.3" larger screen that's AMOLED instead of IPS, a ~500 mAh larger battery, possibly better cameras, a (subjectively) better colour on the back, and Moto Mods that I would never use. But, you also get 32 GB less internal storage and 1 GB less RAM. It's basically $180 (CAD) extra here in Canada over importing a G5 Plus from Amazon and I'm guessing it's not really worth it. From the recent leak, it sounds like the Z2 Play is basically just going to be the same as the 64 GB G5 Plus (including the smaller battery size) but with the larger AMOLED screen and a Snapdragon 626 instead of 625, so I'm guessing it probably still won't be worth spending another $200 over the Moto G Plus.

My Moto G 2014 (the 8 GB, 1 GB RAM model because I was cheap) has really been showing its age lately (unable to keep any music/podcasts playing while using a second program, severe slowdowns and crashes when running single newer, more intensive apps, etc.), and the camera was unresponsive and crashed as soon as I opened it yesterday, so I'm finally fed up and need to replace it. This is after having done factory resets and cache partition wipes and all of that, so it's just the way the phone is. The lack of performance and flakiness just finally got to me.

If you can find the Z Play for the same amount as a G5+ its alright but I wouldn't pay more for it unless you really want to use Moto Mods. And why would you want that?
The only advantage the Z Play has is the AMOLED screen, the amazing battery life and I think the G phones don't do the "wave the hand over the screen to see notifications" thing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anyone elses Google now broken since the may security update?

Getting 'failed to load cards'

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Shai-Hulud posted:

The only advantage the Z Play has is the AMOLED screen, the amazing battery life and I think the G phones don't do the "wave the hand over the screen to see notifications" thing.

It does do the notification thing.

If you use your phone outside often, then I would go for the Sony. The 5G kinda sucks against direct sunlight even with full brightness on.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Skarsnik posted:

Anyone elses Google now broken since the may security update?

Getting 'failed to load cards'

You getting affected by this maybe?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05/06/server-side-tests-broken-google-now-play-store-users/
Fix at end.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That did it, I'd tried clearing the cage already but not the rest

Ta

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm a bit down on Moto since I've been having nothing but GPS problems with my G4 Play, and then find out that it's hardware problem that Moto kind of throws up their hands at.

I'm tempted to buy a Galaxy just to piss off goons who recommended Moto.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

I don't think they've come as highly recommended since Lenovo bought them.

The G line has been a great budget phone, but aside from that I don't see anyone DYPing Moto phones.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

I'm a bit down on Moto since I've been having nothing but GPS problems with my G4 Play, and then find out that it's hardware problem that Moto kind of throws up their hands at.

That would be a very expensive way to spite your own face! That'll teach us!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We only recommend the Moto G line for people who want a cheap phone. No one is cross-shopping a Galaxy S and a Moto G, so I'm not really sure what you're after there.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

We only recommend the Moto G line for people who want a cheap phone. No one is cross-shopping a Galaxy S and a Moto G, so I'm not really sure what you're after there.

GPS is kind of a required feature on a phone. Not just for mapping but also for things like calling 911 so the responders know where you are. If the GPS is unreliable/doesn't work then it's not quite as bad as the actual phone part not working but it's still pretty bad and it's a very good reason to not recommend a phone at all. I know people don't like some phones because they are sluggish or overpriced for what you get, or have stupid amounts of RAM, but many customers having GPS issues due to a manufacturing defect is a safety issue, not an annoyance.

Maybe the high end models fix these things but really this specific product should not have gone out the door at all. There are things you can't cut corners on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm fairly certain calling 911 does not give dispatch your GPS coordinates.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I have no idea how common it is but at least here in Finland there's an official app that does exactly that when you call our 911-equivalent 112 through it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

http://phandroid.com/2017/05/05/motorola-verizon-droid-branding-rumor/amp/

Everyone can thank me. Motorola sent me quite a few surveys at the end of last year (probably wondering why my string of Moto ownership was broken) and I slammed them on backtracking on fully universal devices after releasing the MXP. I ranked that just behind monthly security updates as reasons why I wouldn't recommend the devices to others and reasons why I wouldn't consider buying a new Moto device.

So, YOU'RE WELCOME.

Yeah, too bad they'll make it 3mm thick with a 1cm camera hump (lovely) and a 1000mah battery meaning it will never last anyone a full day of use. I liked my Moto's of the past, but I'm not interested in flagship devices filled with compromises just so they can hawk "Moto Mods" at me.

G4+ and G5+ are still great phones for under 300USD.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/e911-compliance-faqs/

quote:

We provide E911 location technology built into our phones. Currently, our network assists GPS-capable phones to use signals from the Federal Government's Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites to help estimate your location when you make a 911 voice call. Our location technology provides the most accurate mobile wireless location capability over varied terrain and is generally capable of estimating locations within 50 to 150 meters depending on the environment in which the 911 call is placed. Location information for 911 calls placed indoors may not be as accurate in some cases, but we are working on new technologies to address that.

Once I started one of the GPS apps and it had me about fifty miles away from my actual location.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So your solution to a safety problem with one model from a manufacturer is to buy a phone from a manufacturer that shipped out exploding phones. Okay.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

So your solution to a safety problem with one model from a manufacturer is to buy a phone from a manufacturer that shipped out exploding phones. Okay.

The manufacturer that did a full recall and started disabling phones in the wild? Yeah it sounds like they take things a bit more seriously than Motorola which has ignored the GPS problem and hasn't issued a recall.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Oh shut up already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't worry. With the current state of 911 funding, chances are the dispatch center that you connect to would be unable to use the location data even if it was correct.