Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have an Irfanview question. When I try to assign a hotkey for screenshots, if I press a single key it assigns it to Alt+ that key. How do I make it not do this?

Edit: Actually, have a weirder issue. Will Irfanview not capture screens while a game is full-screen, even in "capture desktop" mode? Do I have to play windowed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
After my ongoing Ghosthunter LP comes to a close soon I'm hoping to do a live-commentary run of Lego City Undercover, 100%, and I have a recording device (Roxio) that plugs into a USB socket that records with it's own software, and a couple of microphones, one USB one and one headset that plus into the little round Mic and Headphone sockets. If I were to use the USB mic, how would I ensure that audacity could record my voice while the Roxio captured the game audio/video? Or is it impossible with my current equipment? (I'll work around the loading screens by keeping quiet during them and cutting them out in post)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Audacity should have no problem recording any device plugged into your system, even if it isn't the "primary" device. There's a little dropdown you can use to choose which device to use, both for recording and listening.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Xenoveritas posted:

Audacity should have no problem recording any device plugged into your system, even if it isn't the "primary" device. There's a little dropdown you can use to choose which device to use, both for recording and listening.

I just tried it and unfortunately my Wii U froze, but I'm not sure if it ws just the console as it's done it before without being recorded. Will try again on Monday, it seemed to otherwise work, although both audios come a little quiet so I'll need to boost them a little. Of course I'm going to turn off the autosave feature to ensure that nothing saves during a failed (crashed) run. That'll avoid losing footage, I can just rerecord.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 6, 2017

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'm trying to get Sharex to work with LPix, but I keep running into one problem or another. Right now, the main issue is

The typical error message is "URL is empty"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Seems correct, assuming the password is filled in.
When you test an image upload and it fails, what does "Show last response" give you?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

nielsm posted:

Seems correct, assuming the password is filled in.
When you test an image upload and it fails, what does "Show last response" give you?

Yeah, the password is filled in, I just blanked it out for obvious reasons. This is the response error I got.

{
"err": "err2"
}

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

err2 is invalid password, as far as I know. You might want to try logging out and back in in the browser to verify.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Tried logging out and logging back in. The password is fine on SA, but not ShareX. Still getting the same error. Never had these kind of problems with Rightload.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sylphid posted:

Tried logging out and logging back in. The password is fine on SA, but not ShareX. Still getting the same error. Never had these kind of problems with Rightload.

Your LPix password, right? Not your SA forums password.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Have you clicked Update when you change stuff? I don't think it saves stuff automatically.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

nielsm posted:

Your LPix password, right? Not your SA forums password.

Oh, I didn't even think of that.

Turns out that was the problem. Thanks a lot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just tried the recording again and it worked fine this time, but for some reason the file saved twice, once as MP4 and once as M2TS, and I think that that was why it crashed my recording software as soon as I stopped recording. Why is Roxio doing that? Is it because I'm recording in HDMI?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I've been dabbling into streaming. It was recommended I do a bandwidth test to see how well I'd do. I can run around a stable 3.4Mb/s if I set the Bitrate to 3500. But two things. One, it was suggested I go down to like 2.5Mb/s due to no partner status. And two, some of these other tests are confusing.

I guess my questions are, do I keep at 2500 Bitrate? And how do I make sense of this if the closest one (Los Angeles) is a lower quality than one some states away?

Evening test.

Night test

Midday test

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For one-way video streaming, sustained average bandwidth is king, latency is usually a non-issue. Keep in mind that Twitch usually puts a 30-60 second buffer between you and your viewers regardless, so another 1/20th second latency from you to the server makes no difference at all.
You probably can sustain a 3500 kbps stream to any of those servers, but going down to slightly less than half the available bandwidth makes it more reliable against short dropouts. It also leaves yourself with more free bandwidth for other purposes :)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

nielsm posted:

For one-way video streaming, sustained average bandwidth is king, latency is usually a non-issue. Keep in mind that Twitch usually puts a 30-60 second buffer between you and your viewers regardless, so another 1/20th second latency from you to the server makes no difference at all.
You probably can sustain a 3500 kbps stream to any of those servers, but going down to slightly less than half the available bandwidth makes it more reliable against short dropouts. It also leaves yourself with more free bandwidth for other purposes :)

Quick math suggests that I should run 2810 from the Miami server. Now, I guess I should go to 2750? Or would 2500 be such a nonissue that I should always run 2500.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

For some reason, the quality in my Lego City Undercover seemed to plummet during editing. I recorded with HDMI cables, and the m2ds looked fine (THe simultaneously created MP4 didn't work at all) but on conversion using Roxio Videowave to avi so that it could be edited it tanked. Why is it doing that and how can I stop it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMA0AgCQrtQ

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
What exactly is your editing process? Because the short answer is "don't convert it to an AVI and just use the MTS file directly." Exactly how to do that (and how feasible it is) depends on what you're using to edit.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

For some reason, the quality in my Lego City Undercover seemed to plummet during editing. I recorded with HDMI cables, and the m2ds looked fine (THe simultaneously created MP4 didn't work at all) but on conversion using Roxio Videowave to avi so that it could be edited it tanked. Why is it doing that and how can I stop it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMA0AgCQrtQ

The entire "conversion to avi" part sounds highly suspicious. Why do you think that is necessary, how did you do it, and what software is it you're using that doesn't accept M2TS?

If nothing else, you should be able to use software to re-mux the M2TS into a regular old MPG file (MPEG-2 program stream container) which more software should accept. Re-muxing video means keeping the actual encoded video, and just wrapping it differently, so it doesn't incur a quality loss.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Hello everyone; since Youtube disabled the Annotations feature, I've had to migrate to Dailymotion. I'm making some videos for Dragon Quest VI on Strategy Wiki, and figured that annotations allowed me to explain things in ways that I couldn't do otherwise.

However, Dailymotion seems to be...buggy in how it implements Annotations. They seem like they'll look one way in the Previews, but then look entirely different in the video itself. It's hard to explain, so...just look at the following video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5l9w9z_dragon-quest-vi-vs-mortamor-with-luminary-skills-strategywiki-video_videogames

I really don't know what's happening, but I can never seem to get them to look how I want them to look, despite tinkering with things for hours. Does anyone have any insights as to how to get around this?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

nielsm posted:

The entire "conversion to avi" part sounds highly suspicious. Why do you think that is necessary, how did you do it, and what software is it you're using that doesn't accept M2TS?

If nothing else, you should be able to use software to re-mux the M2TS into a regular old MPG file (MPEG-2 program stream container) which more software should accept. Re-muxing video means keeping the actual encoded video, and just wrapping it differently, so it doesn't incur a quality loss.

I'm editing using virtualdub, which only allows AVI. Would I have success editing M2TS files in avisynth?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm editing using virtualdub, which only allows AVI. Would I have success editing M2TS files in avisynth?

Yes, use FFMS2 or some version of Mpeg2Dec (assuming it's actually MPEG-2, and not MPEG-4 or H.264/AVC) for loading the video into Avisynth, then load that Avisynth script into VDub. You can then either do the editing in VDub, or do it with Avisynth and just use VDub for the preview.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Thanks, I've got the raw commentary and game footage, so I'll just reedit it when I have the time. :). I'm at least pleased with how the initial footage flowed after cutting all the loading screens.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm trying to write the AVIsynth script but it isn't synching properly - what I want it to do is to take the starting video file and my final mixed commentary/game audio track, put them both together, then cut both the audio and video at the loading screens and assemble the final clips, but the audio is still desynching - any idea how to stop it doing that?

# Load capture segments from patched AVICAP32 which puts
# video in multiple AVI segments and audio in a WAV file
video = DirectShowSource("C:\Users\Chris\Videos\Lego City Footage\LCU 1-take2_00.m2ts")
audio = WavSource("C:\Users\Chris\Music\Lego City Undercover\Game Audio\Lego City Undercover Part1 Full Audio.wav")
# combine them into a single clip
final=AudioDub(video, audio)
#Start to trim loading screens (will add the rest to the code when it works)
Clip1 = Trim(final, 0, 655, false)
Clip2 = Trim(final, 1760, 2589, false)

Clip1+Clip2

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Remove the 'false' from the Trim() calls, and use a ++ to combine the clips instead of a single +. Also don't use DirectShowSource(), use something like FFMS2 instead.

(See the documentation for trimming and splicing for quick explanations. If you want a more specific one just ask.)

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 12, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

What is the command for FFMs2? Is it the FFMPegSource command?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I downloaded the ffms2-master.zip file - where do I extract it to to make it work? I just got "There is no function called FFMPegSource2" am I missing a step? I moved ffms2.avsi to the same folder as the sources but it isn't happening. Update: The ffms2.dll is in the avisynch plugins folder, and I'#ve added the line to my script, but it cannot import the plugin. Here's the latest script:
code:
# Load capture segments from patched AVICAP32 which puts
# video in multiple AVI segments and audio in a WAV file
Loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\ffms2.dll")

video = FFMPegSource2("C:\Users\Chris\Videos\Lego City Footage\LCU 1-take2_00.m2ts")
audio = WavSource("C:\Users\Chris\Music\Lego City Undercover\Game Audio\Lego City Undercover Part1 Full Audio.wav")
# combine them into a single clip
AudioDub(video, audio)
Current error is:

Avisynth open failure:
LoadPlugin: Unable to load "C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\ffms2.dll"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 12, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You may have to install an MS Visual C++ Redistributable package, depending on which compiler the DLL was built with.

Make sure your Avisynth version also matches FFMS2, you can't mix 32 and 64 bit, and Avisynth 2.5.x can't load plugins made for Avisynth 2.6.x.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just installed 2.6, although it simply went in the Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5 folder, and the plugins folder has the DLL but now it keeps saying that fms2.dll does not exist in that folder when it totally does. I made sure it was the x86 dll file as well.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Did you update/confirm the plugin directory in your code to reflect any change? Also I think 2.6 installs to Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\ by default; make sure you don't have 2.5 on accident, you shouldn't have a 2.5 directory.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I managed to figure out where things were going wrong. I've started coding the cut-out parts now and they seem to be behaving as intended, thankyou for your help!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Edit: I figured it out and it now looks way better than my initial draft, at a fraction of the filesize. Awesome!

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 12, 2017

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
For those of you wondering how to capture Nier: Automata in fullscreen mode using obs without game capture breaking on you I may have a solution.
Unfortunately it's a little convuluted but it does consistently work.

So essentially you have to create a new game capture every time you start the game and you have to do it while you are in a menu. Before you create the new game capture be sure you have your graphics settings at what you want because any changes in settings
after you create the game capture will cause it to hang and you have to restart the process all over again by deleting the game capture and restarting the game.
The reason it has to be done in a menu is due to the fact that if you do it outside of the menu the game goes into windowed mode and if you bring it back to full screen it will cause game capture to hang.
For some reason doing this from a menu doesn't cause this problem unless you happen to change a graphic setting. Now it will go into windowed mode if which you may need to do if you are using a single monitor setup but if you are on dual monitors you can just drag the mouse
over to the second monitor without even minimizing the game and create the game capture in obs on the second monitor.

If you do use a single monitor setup. I have tested it and you can take the menu to windowed mode and back without having the game capture hang. Just don't do it outside of the menu because of course game capture will hang.
And yes Alt+Enter will switch between windowed mode and fullscreen for the game.

Now when you are done with the game you will have to delete the game capture. The reason being because if you still have it when you start up the game it will hang just before the title screen shows up and then you have to delete the game capture and restart the game.

If you want to avoid all that, you can also just put the game into windowed mode and use window capture which seems to work with no issues. I hope this has been helpful.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

For some reason, while my videos look fine before I upload them (MP4) they look like crap on youtube - they only go as high as 360p and I can't figure out why. I recorded with HDMI cables both ways so have no idea why it's looking so bad.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
What resolution are you uploading them at? If it's below 480p, they're going to cap out at 360p.

I don't know how true this is today, but the general recommendation for YouTube in the past was to always upscale to at least 720p because in the past, you got a better re-encoding pipeline on YouTube if you did. Supposedly they fixed that, but it used to be that YouTube would absolutely destroy any video that wasn't at least 720p.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Xenoveritas posted:

What resolution are you uploading them at? If it's below 480p, they're going to cap out at 360p.

I don't know how true this is today, but the general recommendation for YouTube in the past was to always upscale to at least 720p because in the past, you got a better re-encoding pipeline on YouTube if you did. Supposedly they fixed that, but it used to be that YouTube would absolutely destroy any video that wasn't at least 720p.

My source vid is 1280x720 so it should be fine. Bitrate is 3379kbps, runs at 29fps, 924 mb is filesize.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
How long have you waited since uploading? I believe the "processing" bar finishes when it's got the 360p encode up but it can take a while for the 720p encode to become available.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Xenoveritas posted:

How long have you waited since uploading? I believe the "processing" bar finishes when it's got the 360p encode up but it can take a while for the 720p encode to become available.

I'll try again in a few hours then, thanks for the tip. That was it, 720p is now available. I'll replace the link in my thread, thanks for the help. The thread's here btw: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820825

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
This may be a longshot... I want to do a retread of an old LP of mine of Phantasmagoria 2: a Puzzle of Flesh. Problem is, I'm having trouble capturing the footage with the mouse cursor in it.

I'm playing the game on Windows 7, like I did before. Installed the game with SquirtTheCat's installer, as before. At the time, I used Camtasia to record.

This time: Fraps records the footage but doesn't capture the mouse cursor despite it showing up during play. The "hide cursor" box on Fraps is not ticked. Camtasia records the cursor, but turns it into a big black box with a tiny scrunched up cursor in the corner (Squirt's page mentions this as a problem during gameplay and provides solutions, but mine only occur during capturing and the solutions have not worked). Same results with Hypercam and Bandicam. It's a different computer I'm using (and the laptop I recorded my original LP on has long since died and gone to scrap), but like I said, same OS.

The release notes say that one of the things SquirtTheCat's installer does is render the mouse cursor as a separate Direct3D object. I've tried disabling Direct3D temporarily, I've tried running the game at different resolutions (from 640x480 native resolution to 1920x1080), tried running it in compatibility mode for Win 95, 98, Vista and XP, tried running Windows in a lower screen resolution while recording, and I've tried editing the Resource file that comes installed with Squirt's files - basically removing one or more lines, running the game to see if it still actually launched, and then trying to capture footage. I've also tried capturing game footage on two other computers (a Windows 8.1 laptop and an old Win 7 laptop that's starting to break down). Same results across the board.

Why not run it without Squirt's installer? Well, the original game has crappy scanlines in all the cutscenes that the installer removes. Also, I think it's the only way to install the Windows version of the game to a modern computer, and that has more colors than the DOS one.

Here's the Resource file that Squirt's installer drops, by the way:

code:
[Windows]
borderpixels=10
resSfx=CD:\
reservek4=700
resAud=CD:\
wingMinK=2700
colorCursor=TRUE
leadSubmits=4
confirmdac=TRUE
reservek16=2000
robot=CD:\ROBOT
sciMinK=9000
useDirectDraw=FALSE
CD:=F:\
maxCursorSize=2016
movieDir=CD:\DUK
palette=CD:\DUK
patchDir=%INSTALLDIR%;CD:\PATCHES;CD:\
reservek8=700
titleBar=TRUE
titleBarFixed=FALSE
wwidth=640
discID=RESSCI
maximized=FALSE
resMap=CD:\;%INSTALLDIR%
rescdisc=CD:\
sciMaxK=9000
wheight=480
allowresize=FALSE
useDirectSound=FALSE
title=Phantasmagoria - A Puzzle of Flesh
If someone can help me figure it out, I'd be very grateful!