Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

peanut posted:

Only if you have a high fence to hide your shameful habits.

Right to dry passed two years ago, but it's full of holes and the specifics have yet to be litigated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cumslut1895 posted:

It's much easier to get back to sleep if you don't look at bright light

Right? I generally don't turn any lights on at night if I can help it, otherwise I can't get back to sleep effectively. My last rental had motion sensor lights everywhere because the owner's dad is gay for them, but a strip of duct tape keeps that from being a problem real quick. Definitely no fun when your pets trip them in the middle of the night, that's for sure...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah I line dry now and I do around 2 loads of laundry 3 times a week. The never-ending laundry~ woaahh wowowowoahhhh. Most houses here have balconies dedicated to laundry but I can easily overflow into the yard if there are towels or sheets.

Edit: lol "right to dry"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Right? I generally don't turn any lights on at night if I can help it, otherwise I can't get back to sleep effectively. My last rental had motion sensor lights everywhere because the owner's dad is gay for them, but a strip of duct tape keeps that from being a problem real quick. Definitely no fun when your pets trip them in the middle of the night, that's for sure...

at 11pm my bathroom lights turn down to like 10% which is JUST enough light to take a piss by without waking up at all, it's great

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SoundMonkey posted:

at 11pm my bathroom lights turn down to like 10% which is JUST enough light to take a piss by without waking up at all, it's great

That's rad. I'd like switches that aren't $$$ that can go If now > 9 pm, 10%, otherwise full.

The Lutron dimmer switches I just installed are pretty good for turning off when the room is still even when were in bed and they do a nice fade out. I have my closet set to auto on and off, and my bathroom has enough timeout to take a shower (15 minutes, because it doesn't detect you through glass), and turns off if we forget it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Wasabi the J posted:

That's rad. I'd like switches that aren't $$$ that can go If now > 9 pm, 10%, otherwise full.

The Lutron dimmer switches I just installed are pretty good for turning off when the room is still even when were in bed and they do a nice fade out. I have my closet set to auto on and off, and my bathroom has enough timeout to take a shower (15 minutes, because it doesn't detect you through glass), and turns off if we forget it.

i use the Philips Hue stuff. the timer does its thing at 11pm but at any time, one press on the on switch is full-on, double-press is 10% for if it's late and you're asleep.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I use Hue too and I actually love it. The stock software is trash but has useful widgets and an open API so that could be worse. We've been using it 2 years, no complaints other than the app.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

NancyPants posted:

I use Hue too and I actually love it. The stock software is trash but has useful widgets and an open API so that could be worse. We've been using it 2 years, no complaints other than the app.

the app is even decent for me. i have 15-20 hue bulbs in my place right now and 4 switches. i was surprised how few switches i could get away with, the ones by the front and back door control all the downstairs rooms, bathroom is just for that, bedroom doesn't really need one, etc. i'm super impressed with it as an ecosystem, and the plain white bulbs aren't SUPER expensive.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Aren't Hues the ones that can be hacked wirelessly by each other?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Terrorists are going to hack our lightbulbs and plunge the West into a literal dark age.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I thought it was iot based botnets waging ddos warfare on Russia critical journalists and websites?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Splicer posted:

Aren't Hues the ones that can be hacked wirelessly by each other?

They were, but by the time the security researchers disclosed, Philips had already released an update that fixed the issue. Most of the articles last November (I think?) were sensationalistic crap that failed to mention that part.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Platystemon posted:

Terrorists are going to hack our lightbulbs and plunge the West into a literal dark age epileptic rave.

:siren::krad:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

flosofl posted:

They were, but by the time the security researchers disclosed, Philips had already released an update that fixed the issue. Most of the articles last November (I think?) were sensationalistic crap that failed to mention that part.

How many people do you think take the time to install security updates to their light bulbs?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

pr0zac posted:

How many people do you think take the time to install security updates to their light bulbs?

I'm about 80% sure that the Hue system, like many other "IoT" type things, self-updates with no need for user interaction.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

pr0zac posted:

The cross section of that with people who buy wifi enabled light bulbs is probably pretty big.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wolrah posted:

I'm about 80% sure that the Hue system, like many other "IoT" type things, self-updates with no need for user interaction.

Forcefully, to the point that occasionally, you'll have to sit in the dark for a few minutes while the firmware updates.

Which is really embarrassing when it happens while you have a girl at your apartment.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Forcefully, to the point that occasionally, you'll have to sit in the dark for a few minutes while the firmware updates.

Which is really embarrassing when it happens while you have a girl at your apartment.

Or advantageous :pervert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Progressive JPEG posted:

Or advantageous :pervert:

"The only place I have to sit is on my bed because I haven't put my furniture together yet, and my lights don't work because the twenty-first century is loving weird."

That is a real thing I said, and I still got laid. I'm as surprised as anyone.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

"The only place I have to sit is on my bed because I haven't put my furniture together yet, and my lights don't work because the twenty-first century is loving weird."

That is a real thing I said, and I still got laid. I'm as surprised as anyone

All that stuff is only a problem if your partner hadn't already decided to get some as well.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

http://i.imgur.com/Aqf2d0T.mp4

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Impressive water pressure

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

One weird trick to cleaning your bathroom in one swell go, janitors hate him

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 7, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

In Soviet Russia, urinal pee on you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Employees MUST wash before returning to work.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

set bidet to stun

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MrYenko posted:

poo poo, really? the updates happen so fast half the time i wonder if they even worked, and i've never even had a light flicker. i figured the warning about that was just in case the lights all poo poo the bed on the new firmware or something. overall it's been pretty seamless.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm pretty sure they added in the ability to flash firmware without sitting in the dark. I vaguely remember people laughing at the release notes.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TTerrible posted:

I'm pretty sure they added in the ability to flash firmware without sitting in the dark. I vaguely remember people laughing at the release notes.

yeah i jumped into it relatively recently but i'm appreciating the not-abandonedness of the ecosystem unlike most other options

now they just need to make a loving PAR30 so my kitchen track lighting isn't drawing twice as much current as all the other lights in the house combined.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SoundMonkey posted:

yeah i jumped into it relatively recently but i'm appreciating the not-abandonedness of the ecosystem unlike most other options

now they just need to make a loving PAR30 so my kitchen track lighting isn't drawing twice as much current as all the other lights in the house combined.

This is probably a stupid question, but since people are talking about the hue bulbs...

I'm going to get some of those and a new floor lamp to replace the halogen lamp I have. Any types of lamps to avoid to prolong bulb life/reduce fire risk?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but since people are talking about the hue bulbs...

I'm going to get some of those and a new floor lamp to replace the halogen lamp I have. Any types of lamps to avoid to prolong bulb life/reduce fire risk?

i mean the obvious answer is LEDs but do you mean something brighter / something specialty?

or if you mean will hue lamps do well in it, they don't produce appreciably more heat than any other LED and way less than a CFL obviously

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

also hue bulbs look cheap when you just bought $4400 in LED lamps for work. if you want PAR20-38 and dimmable, look into Soraa, but expect to pay $40-50/bulb.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SoundMonkey posted:

i mean the obvious answer is LEDs but do you mean something brighter / something specialty?

Sorry, I see where I was unclear. I meant the lamp itself. Do any covers/shades interrupt or impede the function of the connectivity of the bulbs? Brightness I'm not too worried about, I can just throw up a second lamp. I'm more worried about say a metal shade blocking a bunch of signal and causing it to boost itself and burn out its wifi in 3 months.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sorry, I see where I was unclear. I meant the lamp itself. Do any covers/shades interrupt or impede the function of the connectivity of the bulbs? Brightness I'm not too worried about, I can just throw up a second lamp. I'm more worried about say a metal shade blocking a bunch of signal and causing it to boost itself and burn out its wifi in 3 months.

not at all that i've noticed. my house isn't especially enormous but i've never had a range issue. they don't actually use wifi, it's a mesh network, so the bulbs just have to be in range of another bulb, not the bridge. nothing in the hue ecosystem even has a wifi radio (the bridge connects over cat5)

edit: if you buy it, buy a kit. buy the biggest loving kit you can find even if you don't really know half the poo poo in it, as long as it has a bridge and a switch and more than one bulb. the kits are cheaper like 100% of the time, usually by a decent amount, even just the switch + 2 bulbs kits. when i actually did all the rest of my lights with hue when i moved i worked out how many more bulbs and switches i needed and just bought various starter kits and paid like 25% less.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 7, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I should clarify about my gripes with the Hue app; they're all usability/ui. It was clearly designed by autistic aliens who don't understand how humans would want to set up scenes. No RGB input/output really sucks.

However, it's stable as hell. I've had zero problems on that front. No problems with scenes/alarms/timers not working or the app refusing to load. Zero light connection problems.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SoundMonkey posted:

also hue bulbs look cheap when you just bought $4400 in LED lamps for work. if you want PAR20-38 and dimmable, look into Soraa, but expect to pay $40-50/bulb.

Whelp, I’m buying $130 worth of bulbs for a single residential fixture.

It’ll pay itself back on electricity costs, but more importantly, I won’t have to change the drat things any time soon.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 7, 2017

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Hanging laundry out is the best. I live in Arizona, and in the summer when it's 100+ degrees with sub 20% humidity, they dry faster outside than they do in the dryer. Even in the shade :v:

Line dry things in a humid place, marvel at your jeans still being damp three days later. Put them in your suitcase anyway because you're leaving Nanjing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

$130 worth of bulbs for a single residential fixture.

It’ll pay itself back on electricity costs

uh, are you sure?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
About 3 years for it to pay itself off. Less if you factor in the increased energy usage from AC. (assuming 8 hours a day in usage, 12c/kwh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I have Hue bulbs in one room and it owns. One caveat is that they don't do green very well.