Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

You've come to the right thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Like anything, you really have to know the market. Shoes can be very GWM but:

1 - On most retro Jordans, you're maybe making $30-$40 per shoe before eBay fees if you're looking to flip day 1.
2 - If you buy the wrong pairs, you're hosed as some shoe stores won't let you return quickstrike (the name for that tier of rarity/release) releases and now you're sitting on a few hundred dollars of Jordan Raptor 7s or unwanted Foams and taking a loss.
3 - Every person you deal with is some wannabe hustler and thinks of themselves in that way. It's loving annoying. Imagine you had a job that only sold to finance bros. It's kinda like that.
4 - You either need to be really lucky or have a hookup for the real profitable stuff. Tech nerds could've leveraged their Twitter bots in the past, but now all crazy hyped stuff goes through SNKRS app for Nike. Not sure about Yeezys. Those might still be exploitable.
5 - Shoe equity is all reliant on someone somewhere being willing to pay an exorbitant amount of money on rare sneakers, specifically your pair of rare sneakers, from all the other sneakers in the world. Are you willing to be the guy sitting on a pair of sneakers from 2011 and insisting you get your $850 for them that may never materialize?

I'm wondering when the market will bottom out on most of these sneakers the way that the market bottomed out on comics a few years back.

You got a lead on a pair of Raptor 7s? The Bordeaux 7s have to be my favorite, but a spare pair of Raptors would be dope.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The BWM thread has become itself what it hates.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

ohgodwhat posted:

You've come to the right thread

Eh. I save ~40% of my income and I make ~300k/year. A thing I enjoy using and is well within my means is not BWM.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Eh. I save ~40% of my income and I make ~300k/year. A thing I enjoy using and is well within my means is not BWM.

Your bicycle needs a chiropractor and a boat. If it starts winning races you can stud it out to make trikes.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Please don't talk about yourself in this thread.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
lol "It's impossible to be bad with money if you've got enough of it"

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
That just might be the most BWM post in the BWM thread.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Abort! Abort!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And the police officer said, "Get out, get out! The BWM is coming from inside the thread!!"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If it's a hobby that he spends a lot of time on and enjoys, what's wrong with that? It's cheaper than a project / track car, about as much as a high end gaming PC (less if you include a monitor), less than a gun hobby.

Assuming he's not one of those people that buys a new one every year or two, that's not an unreasonable price for something you use a few hours a week for 5 years or whatever. Especially since it's a form of exercise, which is GWHealth and therefore GWM and GWL.

Assuming you don't get hit by a truck, a broken back is BWM for the rest of your life / until Bernie's zombie takes office.

E: are we not allowed to debate BWM that came from within the thread? I thought it was just against the rules to post about yourself, not to post about someone who posted about themselves.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

When people talk about themselves in this thread, it leads exactly to those lovely discussions about whether or not someone's hobby horse is BWM, which was just awful.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Oh good, a high schooler that wants to make a smart move with his graduation money

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/69qp9z/where_to_start_with_investing_as_a_high_schooler/ posted:

I'm a high school senior who just had a grad party and received around $1500. I'll be taking advantage of a free college opportunity offered in my city for the first 2 years of college so I would like to invest some of this money, as I won't be needing it right away.
Where do I begin with something like this? I know the basics of investing and the stock market but what route do I take to get into that? As in do I open an account with eTrade or something?
How much should I start investing with? I don't want to use all of it, as I've been wanting a new computer for a while or maybe something else.
Thanks!

First post that shows up

quote:

In real estate first. Make money and then go to school if you want to. If you go in debt to go to college you could then spend many years being a debt slave paying it back. Is that what education is all about? Tuition is skyhigh because it has become a racket and the lenders and government are all a part of it. Very expensive, too expensive.
By investing in real estate you can have autonomy and control your own destiny and then soon obtain a good cash flow that doesn't make you dependent on anything or anyone. With this money you can enrich your life by educating yourself in ways you never would be able to otherwise including going to school debt free, travel, etc.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

therobit posted:

Was it a big ticket item? I could see the retailer paying for the financing in that case. Otherwise it could be that enough people pay late that they are counting on late fees to make it profitable.

Anyone who pays cash is subsidizing the price of any user who uses credit cards or financing products. It is all priced into the sticker on the item.

Jan 11, 2004

Steampunk Hitler posted:

All incomes $100,001 or greater are headed to the guillotine so you should probably enjoy it while you have it

Jan 11, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

Like anything, you really have to know the market. Shoes can be very GWM but:

1 - On most retro Jordans, you're maybe making $30-$40 per shoe before eBay fees if you're looking to flip day 1.
2 - If you buy the wrong pairs, you're hosed as some shoe stores won't let you return quickstrike (the name for that tier of rarity/release) releases and now you're sitting on a few hundred dollars of Jordan Raptor 7s or unwanted Foams and taking a loss.
3 - Every person you deal with is some wannabe hustler and thinks of themselves in that way. It's loving annoying. Imagine you had a job that only sold to finance bros. It's kinda like that.
4 - You either need to be really lucky or have a hookup for the real profitable stuff. Tech nerds could've leveraged their Twitter bots in the past, but now all crazy hyped stuff goes through SNKRS app for Nike. Not sure about Yeezys. Those might still be exploitable.
5 - Shoe equity is all reliant on someone somewhere being willing to pay an exorbitant amount of money on rare sneakers, specifically your pair of rare sneakers, from all the other sneakers in the world. Are you willing to be the guy sitting on a pair of sneakers from 2011 and insisting you get your $850 for them that may never materialize?

I'm wondering when the market will bottom out on most of these sneakers the way that the market bottomed out on comics a few years back.

Yeah when the shoe market gets reasonably efficient your average resale premium is approximately the minimum wage time cost of going to footlocker and waiting in line for shoes, plus you bear a lot of inventory risk

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

All incomes $100,001 or greater are headed to the guillotine so you should probably enjoy it while you have it

Maybe he should have bought a dirtbike instead so he could flee through the woods from the revolutionary mob.

Jan 11, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Maybe he should have bought a dirtbike instead so he could flee through the woods from the revolutionary mob.

quite the contrary, it's all about cardio after the revolution overthrows the bourgeoisie and gasoline is no longer easy to find

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

quite the contrary, it's all about cardio after the revolution overthrows the bourgeoisie and gasoline is no longer easy to find

in the ultimate irony horses become GWM

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ohgodwhat posted:

When people talk about themselves in this thread, it leads exactly to those lovely discussions about whether or not someone's hobby horse is BWM, which was just awful.

except some people asked him specifically about it

they should be guillotined instead for causing these awful posts

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Invest in hay futures boys. Ours is the time of change.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zo posted:

except some people asked him specifically about it

they should be guillotined instead for causing these awful posts

That's just a trap. Like, if I said, "So Zo, tell me about your wedding" and you start talking about how much you saved getting married at a courthouse followed by a fancy honeymoon in Venezuela that cost you only ten American dollars...boom, probation.

It's not our fault if Steampunk Hitler falls for it. He's just a victim of circumstance.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I assume most of us have seen the unapologetic stock market dice roll subreddit, but if not:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I legit chuckled. If horses ever become GWM there won't be any internet forums for the I Told You So posts, though.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

crazypeltast52 posted:

You got a lead on a pair of Raptor 7s? The Bordeaux 7s have to be my favorite, but a spare pair of Raptors would be dope.

I actually had a pair I had to sit on for a year in order to get retail on them. Next time those get retro'd, you're going to be set.

Yeah when the shoe market gets reasonably efficient your average resale premium is approximately the minimum wage time cost of going to footlocker and waiting in line for shoes, plus you bear a lot of inventory risk

Yeah, I took a look at some galaxy Nikes from 2010-2011 for fun and there are still people there listing those shoes for $500+. These are the most valuable ones in the line and some dude has been trying to get his $2,500 for two years lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nike-galaxy-foams-size-9-5-/261933074261?hash=item3cfc6d8755:g:J7kAAOSwstxVfX3A

I think people are really stuck on what they "should" have gotten at one point on those shoes and some misconception that everything goes up in price as scarcity theoretically increases. At some point I imagine people's liquidity has to break and everything but the best of the best is going to crater.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

savesthedayrocks posted:

real estate can only go up :downs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/69pqsg/does_anyone_have_experience_selling_a_home_im_in/ posted:

I bought a home I can't afford. I'm a first time home buyer.

My mortgage is 790k. I bought the home for 850k and I put 10% down. I get the keys in a few weeks. I plan on putting it on the market right away. I just want my hard earned money back I saved. That's all.

I will not discuss how I feel like I got screwed over or how stupid of a failure I am. I just need options here.

I spent 10k on lawyer/land transfer. I'm now looking forward to pay 23k in CMHC insurance which is part of my mortgage. As well as real estate fees for selling this home. No, I don't have the option to keep the home for x number of months or renting it out.

I have a variable rate of 2.2% and I understand there will be penalty fees.

Any advice on how to go forward and making most of my money back? Yes, I'm young and stupid and I don't want a house anymore in stupid Toronto.

Please help.

:gizz:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Business, Finance, and Careers › Bad With Money 2.0: I don't want a house anymore in stupid Toronto

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Assuming you don't get hit by a truck, a broken back is BWM for the rest of your life / until Bernie's zombie takes office.

Hopefully that won't happen, because the bike they're talking about is an indoor exercise bike where you join an MMO spin class. You can sprint up a hill early and yell Leeroy Jenkins to your heart's content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpBLgz0DjQ4

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Poor Buttercup, thought of cannibal raiders and died.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SpelledBackwards posted:

Hopefully that won't happen, because the bike they're talking about is an indoor exercise bike where you join an MMO spin class. You can sprint up a hill early and yell Leeroy Jenkins to your heart's content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpBLgz0DjQ4

Ah so it's a lovely exercise bike that normally would cost like $200-$400 but now it's internet connected and has a screen so it's an order of magnitude more, yep that definitely belongs in this thread.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i see we're in the "this guy spends his disposable income differently than i would if i had any :qq:" phase of the thread again

Zo fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 8, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Disagreeing with and discussing BWM stories is an important part of this thread. Please find a way to participate without calling people penniless crybabies.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
well, that's my way of disagreeing

that is, if you think that "expensive thing = bwm unconditionally" then yeah you're probably a penniless crybaby

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zo posted:

well, that's my way of disagreeing

that is, if you think that "expensive thing = bwm unconditionally" then yeah you're probably a penniless crybaby

It's a stationary bike that connects to the internet, even if you don't think it's BWM it's at least a silly expensive IoT bullshit thing

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ate all the Oreos posted:

It's a stationary bike that connects to the internet, even if you don't think it's BWM it's at least a silly expensive IoT bullshit thing

yeah i agree with that!

still it's probably a good thing overall if it helps rich people spend their money instead of endlessly hoarding cash like modern day smaugs

i recognize that bwm people will also probably buy that thing but I'd like to read about their personal circumstances instead of just going "lol that bike is expensive"

Jan 11, 2004

I grant you it is overpriced but it is not a lovely $200 Wal-Mart bike, a similar gym quality spin bike such as a Spinning performance or Keiser M3 runs $800-$1500 plus then attach a tablet to it to display the classes. Yes there's a markup in there.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh boy, this one is probably going to produce a "my parents screwed me over" thread in a year or two.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/69vouz/parents_want_to_use_my_credit_for_a_home_mortgage/

Parents want to use my credit for a home mortgage - what can I do?

quote:

My parents are both financially responsible but for personal reasons, don't have the credit they need to buy a house of decent size. They both work tons, they splurge a bit during holidays, but as far as I know aren't in debt. They haven't worked on their credit as much as I have, so they want to use my credit to finance a home mortgage for a better home.

I am over 20, have a full time job, and make around $3k/month with a couple thousand in savings. I have enough to move out but I really don't want to yet. They are getting upset with me and making me feel guilty for not doing this for them. I have lived with them my whole life so they're making me feel like I need to do this for them. I feel like they would kick me out and be very upset and not talk to me if I dont do this.

Again, they aren't really financially irresponsible so I dont think they would have trouble paying, it just scares me to have this mortgage on my credit. Nothing about their personalities makes me think they would ruin my credit.

How long will this mortgage stay on my credit/affect my credit?
How will it affect my credit? Will it keep me from getting a future mortgage with a significant other in the future or a new car or anything?
Is this absolutely something I should not do?
How do I say no if this is something I should absolutely not do?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
well at least he 1) hasn't done it yet, 2) seems to be really against it personally, and 3) is responding to all the comments telling him not to do it

those are some really lovely parents though so even if he gets away from this mortgage he still has to live with that :(

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

It's a spin bike, not a stationary bike or a regular form of exercise bike. The mid-range ones cost $899+, and the high end ones cost 2k even without a screen.
That is a normal price for a really good spin bike with the benefit of not having to hook your tablet up to it to watch Netflix during a workout as people often do.
Yes, a regular lovely exercise bike can cost 200-400 as you said before but that's not what a spin bike is.

Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh boy, this one is probably going to produce a "my parents screwed me over" thread in a year or two.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/69vouz/parents_want_to_use_my_credit_for_a_home_mortgage/

Parents want to use my credit for a home mortgage - what can I do?

What does it mean to be "financially responsible but not have the credit for a mortgage", those things seem to come closely hand in hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

What does it mean to be "financially responsible but not have the credit for a mortgage", those things seem to come closely hand in hand

It means "my parents told me that they're responsible but lied"

just like they're lying about taking care of that mortgage