Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

"Ah yes the war is over, time to spend 20 minutes moving pops around tiles"
-A thing the player is presumably going to want to say? I don't get it.

Tile management sucks bad because it's super samey, you have to do it all game long, and it's ultimately meaningless.

Coming up with a design where you gotta click and click and click just to get things working as you expect is probably a good way to sink time in multi. I'm not sure it works as a fun task, but from the perspective of "We must busy the player with something" I guess it succeeds. It's just that the something there is quite horrible.

If they expand the factions and pops stuff in future DLCs I could see it being cool. Having to check individual happiness and faction membership and putting them on the most important tiles and stuff is awful. Doing it for a half dozen planets is awful. Doing it for planets I'm going to give to a sector is awful. Please give me something more fun to do between wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Congratulations to this guy, for having the Good Political Opinions, and letting us all know in the space video game thread!! We're all very proud of you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl5UH6EZXIM&t=265s

okay dude

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
My dream scenario:

Pops on the grid are gone. Instead you get population pools that you assign to the economic/research/industrial/agricultural/etc sectors of the planet. Your buildings determine the maximum amount of people that can be hired into any given industry on the planet.

The system should be balanced so that you get strong returns at relatively low populations, becoming less efficient as the population grows. Unity choices exist to mitigate or possibly even flip this effect so that you get more out of a few core worlds rather than many colonies.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

"Ah yes the war is over, time to spend 20 minutes moving pops around tiles"
-A thing the player is presumably going to want to say? I don't get it.

Tile management sucks bad because it's super samey, you have to do it all game long, and it's ultimately meaningless.

Coming up with a design where you gotta click and click and click just to get things working as you expect is probably a good way to sink time in multi. I'm not sure it works as a fun task, but from the perspective of "We must busy the player with something" I guess it succeeds. It's just that the something there is quite horrible.

"how should I divide my attention in a real time game" is a legit game mechanic that lots of people like (starcraft is really popular!) but I don't think it's what people come to 4x games or paradox games for, yeah. especially since the most common play mode has unlimited pausing anyway

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I think Stellaris, in it's initial design, cribbed a lot of obvious 4x stuff thinking "yeah, 4x has been done, that won't be hard, just take a bunch of established good ideas and roll them into something paradoxy then we'll add our stuff on top" but half the good ideas that work in other 4x games they took (and took for granted) work in turn based games, they then plugged those systems into a real time setting and it doesn't feel great. Sure you can pause when ever and for as long as you want, but so many core aspects of the game feel like a chore, an interruption in the flow of things. So many of the things you need to micro-manage feel far below the scale your attention should be on, either automated (which you'll never make an AI that does what the player wants) or better yet abstracted away allowing an actual interesting or meaningful choice take its place.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Hi, I just got vanilla as the humble monthly early unlock. Should I buy Utopia up front, or wait until after I've played a vanilla campaign or two? My understanding is that it rearranges how psionics unlock, is that right?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

One of the big reasons I played a ton of SotS over other 4x space games at the time was the abstracted planets based on size and a research / industry slider. It defined a lot of the game like your homeworld and a size 8 planet or 2 as your heavily defended forge worlds while the rest just made money/tech for you. I could concentrate on my space empire, leaving the terrestrial bs to the appropriate bureaucracy.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

Hi, I just got vanilla as the humble monthly early unlock. Should I buy Utopia up front, or wait until after I've played a vanilla campaign or two? My understanding is that it rearranges how psionics unlock, is that right?

Definitely try the game out first, Utopia doesn't change anything that would make you like the game if a first impression turns you off, it just adds more to the game that improve it if you find the base game already a solid play.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

it does, but it does so as part of completely revamping psionics to be something other than slightly better soldiers and access to jump drives. you're not missing out on the vanilla psy "experience" by buying utopia

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cease to Hope posted:

it doesn't come up much, but your armies are capped based on pops. you're just never, ever going to hit that cap unless you're taking advantage of something like a newly uplifted Very Strong species.

you'll start hittin it early on if you're a militaristic empire playin aggressively and chose syncretic evolution since your big goofy laborer buddies are usually gonna be outnumbered significantly by your main thinky race

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

so a lot of the stuff that people talk about as "utopia" changes are actually changes from the associated patch, if you're playing vanilla you won't see pre 1.5.0 psionics for instance (e: I think? I haven't actually played post banks without utopia so idk for sure)

I'd play vanilla first just to see if you like it enough to buy utopia, as mentioned the stuff you get with the xpac is just extra features and play modes (ascension perks being the only one I can think of which is always relevant regardless of playstyle) which probably won't change the answer to "do you like this game"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

so a lot of the stuff that people talk about as "utopia" changes are actually changes from the associated patch, if you're playing vanilla you won't see pre 1.5.0 psionics for instance (e: I think? I haven't actually played post banks without utopia so idk for sure)

you will. psy techs are only attached to and gated by ascension perks with Utopia turned on, because ascension perks are Utopia only.

paradox doesn't remove vanilla features as part of an expansion. this is good because it keeps the game from getting worse if you don't buy this or that DLC, although it does lead to shambling zombie systems like feudal mongols in CK2 and undocumented, unexplained trust modifiers in EU4. vanilla psy is Stellaris's turn for a zombie system

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So a system that I had built various civilian outposts in just flipped to another empire's control, without the game notifying me at all. If I hadn't happened to have the camera on that system I wouldn't have even noticed. The system was within my borders (it must be because I could build those civilian stations there) but was not generating any influence for me itself, but is now generating influence for the other faction, although they haven't built anything in the system, just taken over my civilian stations.

What the gently caress just happened, and what can I as a fanatic pacifist do about it? I need this corridor kept open or I'm totally boxed in and doomed.

The only thing I can think of that might have something to do with it is the industrial age primitive civ I was observing in system, did the other faction somehow integrate them without also having an observation station? They of course now do have an observation station, and will doubtless make contact asap as they are both authoritarian fanatic militarist barbarians.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

you will. psy techs are only attached to and gated by ascension perks with Utopia turned on, because ascension perks are Utopia only.

paradox doesn't remove vanilla features as part of an expansion. this is good because it keeps the game from getting worse if you don't buy this or that DLC, although it does lead to shambling zombie systems like feudal mongols in CK2 and undocumented, unexplained trust modifiers in EU4. vanilla psy is Stellaris's turn for a zombie system

ah right I stand corrected then, I guess that makes sense

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
tech, traditions, increasing planet pops, and settling a new system or building a frontier outpost nearby can increase the amount of space you own. if you push your borders over someone else's system with stations in it, you just steal those stations. nobody can steal your settled planets or flip your frontier stations, but they can push the borders over anything else.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
But why is this system now actively generating influence for them?

E: I think I worked out what happened. There was another system juuuust outside my borders that I was waiting on my colony expanding a bit to exploit, they must have waltzed in there with literally a month to spare and built an influence outpost in it. gently caress.

AS I can't be aggressive do I have any options here other than to wait until they feel bad enough to attack me and hope I can repulse them then demand that station in the peace? Since I can't expand into any more systems now it's time to see how tall I can build I suppose.

EE: This is the situation: Pharrim was mine with the primitives in it, and Irthius was the system I didn't quite control. As you can see I am hyper lanes so that's my expansion in this direction cut off. do you think if I took a construction ship the long way round and built and outpost in Sanopel I could get access to the Fedeema-Pharrim-Sanopel route again?

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 7, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

But why is this system now actively generating influence for them?

you get the resources from the working stations inside your borders. doesn't matter who built them.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
once i go Full Robot, is there any way to convert other species to Synthetic also? or is it kind of a one-and-done thing

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Legs Benedict posted:

once i go Full Robot, is there any way to convert other species to Synthetic also? or is it kind of a one-and-done thing
The latter.

Who could ever foresee that a synth empire might get more organics?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
They should really just make Synthetic Ascension a Species Right toggle or something.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
To me the real problem with the pop system is that managing it is a meaningless busywork that the computer could do optimally in a millisecond. If I could just tell the game to optimize this planet's pop distribution for mineral mining and then it would be up to me to figure out how to get the big strong races there, lot of the annoyance would be gone.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
There are at least a couple of mods that add ways to convert new fleshies to synths. Phoneposting or I'd link them. I think one is called something like Synthetic Evolution Enhanced or Expanded or somesuch.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Xarn posted:

To me the real problem with the pop system is that managing it is a meaningless busywork that the computer could do optimally in a millisecond. If I could just tell the game to optimize this planet's pop distribution for mineral mining and then it would be up to me to figure out how to get the big strong races there, lot of the annoyance would be gone.

Something Civ games have had since what Civ 4 at least? Just a simple "yo AI, shuffle my stuff around to optimize output x" is kind of basic for this kind of tile management.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i've never played this game before it was cheap in the humble bundle and oh boy this unbidden poo poo is really dumb, and bad, and makes me want to uninstall the game forever. can i mod it out somehow

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Legs Benedict posted:

i've never played this game before it was cheap in the humble bundle and oh boy this unbidden poo poo is really dumb, and bad, and makes me want to uninstall the game forever. can i mod it out somehow

That's an Endgame Crisis and I'm pretty sure you can just toggle those off as an option when you start a game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah you can just say "No endgame crises". There probably are mods to remove a particular one too.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

cool perfect thank you very much, this game is cool

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Pharnakes posted:

EE: This is the situation: Pharrim was mine with the primitives in it, and Irthius was the system I didn't quite control. As you can see I am hyper lanes so that's my expansion in this direction cut off. do you think if I took a construction ship the long way round and built and outpost in Sanopel I could get access to the Fedeema-Pharrim-Sanopel route again?

That might actually work. Either way, prepare for war. That outpost is definitely going to piss off your neighbor.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The endgame crises are weird in that they're similar to the normal combat scenario where you are pretty much either killing them or being destroyed with no middle ground, but somehow moreso.

I just dicked around and let the Prethoryn screw around in a part of the map but they took so long to do anything that I eventually got bored of waiting for them to do things and instead just killed them all.

And after all that there are no more fallen or awakened empires and the crisis is over and I'm bored :smith:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 7, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Legs Benedict posted:

git gud

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Kinda agreed. My first game of stellaris had unbidden murderify my first fleet, then I traded my new, stronger fleet for one and half of theirs and then I decided to just wait them out until I had fleet large enough to take on multiple of theirs...

The second one they spawned in my home system and got murdered after killing my spaceport and 1 space mine :v:

If anything, the endgame crises should be made stronger (which IIRC they are in the next patch).

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Best way to deal with both endgame crises is to go with hit and run tactics. Try to kill their fleets and stations while they are alone and instantly run away when the others appear.

If you are lucky the other AI empires might provide some distraction.

... unless you already own half the galaxy then you can just faceroll them to death.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Hey, I picked this up from Humble and already had my first outpost destroyed by the Proctology Remnant. The tutorial seems pretty adequate so far for a Paradox game.

Edit: any advice for inexperienced multiplayer settings? Moderate speed, small galaxy presumably, but anything else to think about?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 8, 2017

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

actually that is exactly what i am in the process of doing and it's working out fine but i will stand by my belief that the end game crises are dumb and bad

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is there a list of anomalies you've discovered but haven't researched somewhere? I accidentally dismissed a "we found some weird poo poo, could be a precursor something or other" popup during a war and have no idea where it was. It's not in my situation log.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Legs Benedict posted:

actually that is exactly what i am in the process of doing and it's working out fine but i will stand by my belief that the end game crises are dumb and bad

you are right, the endgame crises are extremely bad and the worst one (the unbidden) is also the most likely one to get. On a small galaxy if you don't move extremely fast to expand to own about 50% of the galaxy minimum you're hosed when they arrive. It loving sucks, and FE's/other empires STILL ignore the endgame crises fleets too so it's literally down to you to save the galaxy.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

A Tartan Tory posted:

Well, the tall science game went very well.

Flesh is Weak around 2250, All neighbouring empires liberated and vassalised by 2270, Synthetic Evolution on 2280, spiritualist fallen empire liberated 2310, awakened xenophobe empire dumpstered 2330...

Still sticking with 15 planets, making about 1000 of each science and finished the actual tech tree around 2290.

What was the empire build? Curious to try it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The unity bonus from extermination as a Purifier isn't as good as I hoped it was. Basically stuffing each conquered planet with ground forces and a single droid, then pushing wars against neighbors was the only way I kept up.

I haven't played a Purifier very much, but it seems like early on the best purging choice is processing. Processing a few planets is a pretty easy way to get +100 food a month very early on, which is nice for filling up planets with new colonists. Otherwise forced purging mostly feels like the drawback for all the other bonuses.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is there a list of anomalies you've discovered but haven't researched somewhere? I accidentally dismissed a "we found some weird poo poo, could be a precursor something or other" popup during a war and have no idea where it was. It's not in my situation log.

Should be on the galaxy map as a little beaker icon next to the system in question. You can just click that icon directly there rather than having to zoom in to the system level. If you can't see it try hitting alt a couple times, sometimes icons refuse to show/show when they shouldn't, and that usually clears it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mister Adequate posted:

Should be on the galaxy map as a little beaker icon next to the system in question. You can just click that icon directly there rather than having to zoom in to the system level. If you can't see it try hitting alt a couple times, sometimes icons refuse to show/show when they shouldn't, and that usually clears it up.

Found it! :toot:

The galaxy hates me because I'm a hive mind and keep purging the xenos from the planets I take in wars. Enclaves don't seem to mind though. :v:

• Locked thread