Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The Dark Tower fans crowd are going to be difficult to please, considering how wildly we vary. I forgive the series almost all of its warts and have said before that I actually got goosebumps during the author self-insert when Roland does the bullet-trick on King and King starts speaking the ancient language. It took the moment from "meh" to "wow" for me. I forgive the deaths of Walter and the Crimson King. Jake and Eddie. Oy. I had a hard time with the sneetches and the Dr. Doom masks but, well, I got over it.
I even understand King's need to add the "hey, you should stop here if the rest is gonna piss you off" note, and I agree with the decision and its execution. So yeah, I'm very forgiving and I enjoyed the series a lot.

Don't misunderstand, I feel it could have been much better! I too would very much like to have read a series that wasn't rushed to conclusion the way TDT was. But this is what we have and I'm pleased with it.

Having said all of that, I really, really enjoyed this trailer. The gun-loading tricks were freaking cool and I loved them. Jake looks like Jake to me, and I enjoyed the line they gave him in the trailer that was so close to "there are other worlds than these.' Idris Elba is one of my favorite actors, too. I'd probably prefer a guy who looks like a grizzled Stephen King playing Roland but that's because I've pictured Roland that way since I think book three (before that I just saw Clint Eastwood.) MacConnnanahaayyyy is as expected. Maybe not evil enough in the trailer, a little under-stated. Looking forward to his performance in the film.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this movie because I'm going to view it as "A Dark Tower" story and not "THE Dark Tower story." I've already read that, and I can't see it ever getting the full film treatment it deserves.

Just my $0.02. Ooof... to start a new page, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dr. Faustus posted:

The Dark Tower fans crowd are going to be difficult to please, considering how wildly we vary. I forgive the series almost all of its warts and have said before that I actually got goosebumps during the author self-insert when Roland does the bullet-trick on King and King starts speaking the ancient language. It took the moment from "meh" to "wow" for me. I forgive the deaths of Walter and the Crimson King. Jake and Eddie. Oy. I had a hard time with the sneetches and the Dr. Doom masks but, well, I got over it.
I even understand King's need to add the "hey, you should stop here if the rest is gonna piss you off" note, and I agree with the decision and its execution. So yeah, I'm very forgiving and I enjoyed the series a lot.

Don't misunderstand, I feel it could have been much better! I too would very much like to have read a series that wasn't rushed to conclusion the way TDT was. But this is what we have and I'm pleased with it.

Having said all of that, I really, really enjoyed this trailer. The gun-loading tricks were freaking cool and I loved them. Jake looks like Jake to me, and I enjoyed the line they gave him in the trailer that was so close to "there are other worlds than these.' Idris Elba is one of my favorite actors, too. I'd probably prefer a guy who looks like a grizzled Stephen King playing Roland but that's because I've pictured Roland that way since I think book three (before that I just saw Clint Eastwood.) MacConnnanahaayyyy is as expected. Maybe not evil enough in the trailer, a little under-stated. Looking forward to his performance in the film.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this movie because I'm going to view it as "A Dark Tower" story and not "THE Dark Tower story." I've already read that, and I can't see it ever getting the full film treatment it deserves.

Just my $0.02. Ooof... to start a new page, even.

:same: really

guy has done almost 40 years over the course of the series.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

3Romeo posted:

Michael B. Jordan imo

I'm sorry, the answer we were looking for was "John Boyega"

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Soul Glo posted:

I'm sorry, the answer we were looking for was "John Boyega"

Probably should be a new guy though, right? Isn't roland like 14 or so in magis?

e: Jordan aka "Wallace" from the wire playing young Elba aka stringer would be cool.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Boyega and Jordan are 25 and 30 respectively. If they were going to tell a story of how young Roland became obsessed with the Tower to the detriment of everything else, I'd want to see him younger, like maybe 17. Both of those dudes own though.

It looks like that dude from the All State adds is gonna be Steven Deschain, so maybe there's already a flashback... Have to wait and see.

Edit: beaten.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Idris Elba's faced grafted onto the body of a child

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Idris Elba's faced grafted onto the body of a child

surgically, not digitally

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What I want is a good movie and a good adaptation. If I can't have both, I want a good movie. If I can't have either I want them to revisit the self-insert bit with Stephen King, playing himself, showing up and arguing with Walter in favor of whatever changes the film makes to the story.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
On the subject of blurring the line between the story and your experience of it, I kinda hope there's something like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgNp8th0huw
My mind was thoroughly loving blown by that when I saw it in the theater as a kid. Like make it look like some jerk is standing up in front of the projector, blocking the screen, but it is really Randall Flagg.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Eat This Glob posted:

Probably should be a new guy though, right? Isn't roland like 14 or so in magis?

e: Jordan aka "Wallace" from the wire playing young Elba aka stringer would be cool.

D'Angelo as the man in black. WHERE THE BOY AT, ROLAND, HUH?

Anyway, beep beep motherfuckers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av0FGjXSOr4

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Haha to that first thing, and holy poo poo to that second one.

Man, that trailer looks great. I am sure I'm going to regret being this pumped for It. Pennywise's costume looks amazing. Big props to whoever designed it, it hits all of the creepy buttons without stepping out of the realm of what I imagine an old timey clown would look like.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just read Mr Mercedes. It was a meh read. Not one of his best works or worst. For some reason I didn't realize its a thriller and has 0 horror elements. Doesn't feel like any other King novels where the world and characters are really well realized. Maybe Brady is kinda developed but the other characters have zero depth. Kinda weird because I am used to great settings and characters from King but this one has none of that. I thought the ending was good which isn't always the case with King. Only really good thing about it is that its a pretty quick read.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pheeets posted:

I think Conway would be better for that role.

Well yeah. But something about Trump doing a manual virginity check rings true.

Mmmyou wanna be a contestant on my new reality show, Char You Tree? Let's talk at my place and we'll go over the preconditions. :mmmhmm:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Really like the music in that new IT trailer(clip?) also loving the whole odd balloons thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Argh I have like so many things to read before IT but I have to get through it before the movie comes out. Is there an actual release date yet?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rolo posted:

Argh I have like so many things to read before IT but I have to get through it before the movie comes out. Is there an actual release date yet?

September

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think I can make that work. Placeholder for my late August meltdown because I didn't start reading it until too late.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I think in the end, we all just have to remember one thing:

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Counterpoint:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

THE new IT trailer looks good and the new DT trailer looks bad welp bye

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

JohnnyCanuck posted:

"... the gunslinger followed until The Man in Black went out like a bitch by a stupid half demon spider baby and there was never any kind of confrontation..."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

nosleep posted:

"... the gunslinger followed until The Man in Black went out like a bitch by a stupid half demon spider baby and there was never any kind of confrontation..."

goddamn it that whole part of the story was so loving lame.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Canuckistan posted:

Counterpoint:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Is this the sound of the French waiter from the blood and smoke collection?

Many years ago (and before the collection was published, iirc) a friend lent me the six-CD audiobook of that and I listened to it during my school commute. I think SK might have read some of those (all?) himself but drat I remember that guy squealing.

e: context; do you mean the woman in DT?

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

syscall girl posted:

Is this the sound of the French waiter from the blood and smoke collection?

Many years ago (and before the collection was published, iirc) a friend lent me the six-CD audiobook of that and I listened to it during my school commute. I think SK might have read some of those (all?) himself but drat I remember that guy squealing.

e: context; do you mean the woman in DT?

I'm *pretty* sure he's referring to The Crimson King (obviously do not read that if you don't want to spoil a pretty small part of the final book of the DT series).

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I want to know how Roland lost his belt and why it bears on his quest for the Tower.

java
May 7, 2005

I need a pep-talk/reality check. I'm about 1/8th the way through Gerald's Game and so far, my reaction has been that this is a pretty lovely King book. I'm very tempted to bail, particularly because my main beef so far is that (with a few exceptions) he seems to write women terribly and it's only magnified when the protagonist a woman. Without getting into spoilers, should I see this out or just move on?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I'd leave it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
You need to make up a special concoction of Robitussin, Nozz-A-La, Labatt's Blue and tincture of cocaine to truly appreciate Gerald's Game

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

syscall girl posted:

You need to make up a special concoction of Robitussin, Nozz-A-La, Labatt's Blue and tincture of cocaine to truly appreciate Gerald's Game

yup. maybe eyeball that poo poo too

The Zombie Guy posted:

I want to know how Roland lost his belt and why it bears on his quest for the Tower.

Its more the horn, or the lack thereof

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Man that looks so good. I've been a fan of IT since I was a tiny kid hiding under a blanket to try and watch the TV movie without my parents seeing from the hallway when it first aired. I watched that TV movie later recorded off TV, commercials and all endlessly. I read the book for the first time in the 5th grade (the fact that was the same age as the kids in the book never dawned on me until so so many years later), and every few years since. I've purchased it several separate times at airport bookshops. I have no idea why I love that story so much. Everything about that and the previous trailer just looks great, and the choice of updating it to the 80's seems perfect (what I wouldn't give to have Ben or someone see pennywise as jason vorhees, freddy kruger, or the thing instead of werewolves, mummies and frankenstien), I only pray it doesn't bomb so they get to make the second half of the story. It will be disappointing if it doesn't get finished.

Just seeing the snippets of the house on neibolt street, leaper, sunflowers and all is great, that was always the section I was most disappointed got cut from the TV movie after finally reading it. All the kids look perfectly cast, they showed an accurate map of derry, all the scenery looks just spot on and they dropped nice little easter eggs everywhere (maybe we'll actually get to see hockstetter get his eye sucked out by flying leeches after giving bowers a handjob in a junkyard :v:. My only problem is Pennywise looks creepy and all, but he looks like a horror movie costume designer setting out to make the creepiest clown possible that children would run in terror from instead of something thats looking like a clown to, well... attract children in the first place as a lovable clown. I can't wait to see how far into the weird poo poo they go though. Will we see cosmic turtles and metaverse poo poo, hallucinations of pre history and all that jazz?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tom Guycot posted:

Man that looks so good. I've been a fan of IT since I was a tiny kid hiding under a blanket to try and watch the TV movie without my parents seeing from the hallway when it first aired. I watched that TV movie later recorded off TV, commercials and all endlessly. I read the book for the first time in the 5th grade (the fact that was the same age as the kids in the book never dawned on me until so so many years later), and every few years since. I've purchased it several separate times at airport bookshops. I have no idea why I love that story so much. Everything about that and the previous trailer just looks great, and the choice of updating it to the 80's seems perfect (what I wouldn't give to have Ben or someone see pennywise as jason vorhees, freddy kruger, or the thing instead of werewolves, mummies and frankenstien), I only pray it doesn't bomb so they get to make the second half of the story. It will be disappointing if it doesn't get finished.

Seriously it does look incredibly true to source, I wonder how many bad stephen king cameos will be in this batch though. He would be a bit old for the DT self insert though. If they dont cross over the movies at all in an attempt to boot some stephen king multiverse though theyre doing it wrong.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The thing that gets me about the IT trailer is how much it looks EXACTLY whatI pictured in my head while reading it. It's uncanny.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing that gets me about the IT trailer is how much it looks EXACTLY whatI pictured in my head while reading it. It's uncanny.

same.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So is this movie just skipping the whole adult part?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Mel Mudkiper posted:

it looks like just the kid part so far.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yep, that will be the sequel. This was made clear when the movies were originally announced.

Edit: It's kind of hard to Google information about a movie just called "It", but here's an article from February 2016 that talks a bit about it:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/02/two-part-remake-of-stephen-kings-it-to-finally-film-this-year-get-r-rating/

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 11, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There's 2 films. Part 2 is the grown ups.

Also, I must be the only person alive who didn't dislike Gerald's Game. I re-read it recently to see if I just missed all the horrible but I think it's fine. It's not King's best work but I found it engaging enough and parts of it reminded me of Misery with the whole "being trapped in a bed" thing at least. I think it could actually make a decent movie.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BiggerBoat posted:

There's 2 films. Part 2 is the grown ups.

Also, I must be the only person alive who didn't dislike Gerald's Game. I re-read it recently to see if I just missed all the horrible but I think it's fine. It's not King's best work but I found it engaging enough and parts of it reminded me of Misery with the whole "being trapped in a bed" thing at least. I think it could actually make a decent movie.

a friend and I were talking about misery this morning and how holy poo poo its hard to ever see Kathy Bates like not as an obsessive ankle breaker anymore

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I didn't hate Gerald's Game either, but if you're not liking it a third way into the book there's nothing later on that'll change your mind, rather the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

it looks like just the kid part so far.

Good because if they only make one film the kids part is far superior to the adults