Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ratjaculation posted:

That Corbyn sure is a plonker

Oi, gently caress off, MATE!

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

One more thing, while we're vaguely on topic of the French election, it's not like Hamon was "more of the same" candidate, even if he came from the same government as Macron (well he quit it in protest against his reforms) (then again Mélenchon also used to be a PS member until he split in 2008). Here's what his programme was for this election:

quote:

Hamon wants to give all French citizens a basic income, believing that the availability of work will decrease due to automation. He supports a 35-hour workweek, and less if a worker chooses in exchange for state compensation, and supports the legalisation of cannabis and euthanasia. He also argues for sizeable investments in renewable energy, aiming for renewable sources to provide 50% of French energy by 2025, and wants to protect the "common goods" (water, air, biodiversity) in the Constitution. Hamon is also very critical of the neoliberal "myth of infinite economic growth", which he blames for "destroying the planet" and argues is a "quasi-religion" among politicians. "There is an urgency to change now our way to produce and consume. We can negotiate with bankers, but we can't negotiate with the planet."

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

jabby posted:

At 6 weeks the strength of the repair will have reached about 80% of maximum. The usual advice is that if you need to lift more than 10kg (which presumably climbing involves) you should wait 6-8 weeks after the surgery, and proceed slowly. The benefit of waiting longer than 8 weeks is going to be dubious because by that point the repair will be almost as strong as it's going to get.
Thanks, that's really helpful.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 8, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/conservative-mp-paul-maynard-food-2335762

quote:

Conservative MP Paul Maynard: Food banks can become bad habit among poor people

Mr Maynard, Tory MP for Blackpool North and Cleveleys, was speaking at a food poverty summit in Manchester.

He said: “I value personal responsibility. My main concern for the immediate future is that people have the most money in their pockets as possible.

“I do not believe that immediate food relief should be the role of the Government. We can’t make food banks part of the welfare state.

“What I don’t want to do is normalise food poverty. In Canada you have people going to food banks every week and it can become a habit.”

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

All poors should starve in my humble opinion.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
He's right. Let's make food poverty history by increasing benefits, ending sanctions, and a £10 minimum wage.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 8, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The Mirror posted:

A Tory MP has been blasted for claiming emergency food parcels should not be given to people because they could become reliant on them.

Do not, my friends, become addicted to food! It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

VV Yup. VV

jabby fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 8, 2017

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"Do not, my friends, become addicted to food. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!"

Edit: :argh: Beaten!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cerv posted:

Also rabidly anti-EU in a not particularly veiled anti-German sectarian way.
But somehow people on this side of the channel see he's the nominal left wing candidate so must be the good one

His opposition to GMO was basically "we know to fear German chemists".

I mean, Bayer did produce Zyklon B for the gas chambers, but that's almost certainly too much nuance for what is basically a :godwin:.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We should shut off all the Haber-Bosch process plants and see what happens. It probably won't be good though.

Or maybe it will be good for the planet in the long run, but you wouldn't want to live through it.

e: Perhaps he meant we should fear their long and incomprehensible org. chem. texts, or the attitude of chemists like Kolbe towards his understudies. Those are reasonable fears.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 8, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

julian assflange posted:

Yes but Rachel Stevens

She's much shorter than you'd ever assume

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I read that Macron's finance background means he's going to put the screws to the British financial industry in the brexit.

France has chosen very wisely indeed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

get the gently caress out

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

"I value personal responsibility."

Be nice if they would abide by this one for once.

But that would involve them acknowledging themselves doing anything wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just because you like the idea of something doesn't mean it exists.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
France pulled way, way ahead in the cross-channel rivalry thing.

Britain needs to start asking itself "how can we be more like France?"

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M91g4OlGEY

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
How goes the descent into Brexitgeddon?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Ora Tzo posted:

Strong and Stable.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ora Tzo posted:

Brexigeddon means Brexigeddon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A red white and blue Brexigeddon

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/reasonablyright/status/861480499256205312

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

as far as Lib Dem battlebus mishaps go, it's a distant second to that kid's trousers falling down while taking a selfie with Clegg.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hakimashou posted:

Britain needs to start asking itself "how can we be more like France?"
A semi-presidential system that limits the amount of shitassery that the leader can get away with sounds like a good start.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Guavanaut posted:

A semi-presidential system that limits the amount of shitassery that the leader can get away with sounds like a good start.

Replace the lords with an actual upper house too?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Not a bad recovery, and only minimally undignified, 6/10.

Not as good as Gove slipping on ice, which was the most human and normal he's ever appeared.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/08/tim-farron-margaret-thatcher-poster-childhood-bedroom-itv-interview

quote:

The Liberal Democrat leader, Tim Farron, has said he had a poster of Margaret Thatcher above his bed as a schoolboy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can see why that would give him odd opinions about sexuality.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ora Tzo posted:

Replace the lords with an actual upper house too?

Lower the voting age to 16 and replace elected MPs with a randomly selected member of the electorate from each constituency. No parties, tell them to form a government as best they can. They're unlikely to accidentally do as much damage as recent governments have done the country intentionally, and it'll make UK politics a lot more entertaining to the rest of the world.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 8, 2017

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

big scary monsters posted:

Lower the voting age to 16 and replace elected MPs with a randomly selected member of the electorate from each constituency. No parties, tell them to form a government as best they can. They're unlikely to accidentally do as much damage as recent governments have done the country intentionally, and it'll make UK politics a lot more entertaining to the rest of the world.

Honestly, parliamentary service as something similar to jury service is something I could see not being a completely loving stupid idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

Lower the voting and to 16 and replace elected MPs with a randomly selected member of the electorate from each constituency. No parties, tell them to form a government as best they can. They're unlikely to accidentally do as much damage as recent governments have done the country intentionally, and it'll make UK politics a lot more entertaining to the rest of the world.

Day 48 in the Big Brother House of Commons. The Rt. Hon. MP for Cockingham West has been banned from the chamber for hitting the Rt. Hon. MP for Greater Buttenthwaite over the head with the ceremonial mace on the grounds that he was "a stupid loving oval office"

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Hexyflexy posted:

I've gone from sleeping on friends sofas to earning quite a bit (by total fluke, studying paid off at loving looooong last). When I tell anyone that I want taxes to go up, they either laugh at me or think I'm making it up. If you taxed me an extra 10%, It'd just take a bit longer to do what I want to do, and at the same time it'd help a whole bunch of people. Which is pretty much what I want.

This is great but taxes aren't likely to go up in the near future. In the meantime, you should tax yourself another ten percent:

https://www.givingwhatwecan.org/pledge/

I'd strongly recommend using it to support a charity from GiveWell's list. Their cost-effectiveness analyses are here.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Day 48 in the Big Brother House of Commons. The Rt. Hon. MP for Cockingham West has been banned from the chamber for hitting the Rt. Hon. MP for Greater Buttenthwaite over the head with the ceremonial mace on the grounds that he was "a stupid loving oval office"

Have phone votes (£1 per call) to get members out once a month and we'd clear the deficit within a year.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX4fMBb2JnY

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
"Hello Ladbrokes, do you have a refund policy for the terminally stupid who shouldn't be allowed to bet, let alone own any kind of electronic devices?"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/861511283614646272

This has a notable practical upshot for the Tories: because all their advertising is focused so heavily on May and the national party rather than individual candidates, they can spend very lavishly in target constituencies without running foul of electoral law - the per-constituency spending limits only apply to campaigns for the local candidate rather than the party as a whole. So I guess they'll keep on buying massive wraparound ad spreads like this in local papers:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Dark Project posted:

"Hello Ladbrokes, do you have a refund policy for the terminally stupid who shouldn't be allowed to bet, let alone own any kind of electronic devices?"

Random stock image with watermarks - check.
Horrific racist username - check.
More and more off the rails without realising he's already confessed to placing the bet? - check.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

The Dark Project posted:

@wollygogg...

What a charmer.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You mean under this new system McDonnell would still be there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
It gets even better...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread