Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Bill Barber posted:

lol if you're spending >$1500 on a TV in 2017 and it's not OLED.

I don't like to empty quote but, this. You can find an M series or a KS8000 in 65" below $1500, or save for the OLED it doesn't seem like there is much in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I love my OLED and think it has the best overall picture quality on the market, but it does have downsides in peak brightness and motion handling.

Also, if you want more than 65" OLED isn't going to be for you right now.

This would be my short list for TVs at the moment.

LG's OLED
Vizio 2017 M Series
Sony's X900E Series
Sony's X930E Series

The LG OLED is what I would put as best overall picture quality, especially if most of your content is SDR 1080p. That's not to say HDR content is weak. It's just that 600 nits of brightness it can hit means most UHD blu-rays need to do tone mapping in the brightest areas of the screen. If Dolby Vision content becomes common on disc, not as much as an issue. Best pick if you are watching content in a light controlled room as it allows the inky blacks to really shine.

The Vizio is the best bang for the buck. It delivers great picture quality for a low end price but still includes Dolby Vision. Main TV if you are on a budget, great secondary TVs otherwise.

X900E is a good middle tier option is a decent upgrade over the Vizio, especially if you can get one on sale. It's FALD and can reach 900 nits in a 5% window which can be an advantage over the LG OLED and Vizio M with HDR10 content. It also uses AndroidTV as its smart platform and has the best motion processing in the industry.

X930E occupies a narrower niche simply because it's going to have the same pricepoints as LG's OLED sets (except in the >65" range where LG becomes super pricey.) This is an edge lit display, but it actually has more dimming zones than the FALD X900e. You are basically trading halos for vertical streaks. This adds Dolby vision and has the same great motion processing as the 900e as well as AndroidTV. This set is capable of hitting 1000 nits so it's a great pair for HDR10 content. I would go with this TV if you want a size greater than 65" and have a decent budget or if you are watching a lot of HDR content in brighter rooms.

Notice, none of the TVs are Samsung. I just don't feel Samsung makes a quality product anymore. Every single one of their TVs is riddled with a set of caveats an arm-length long. They are more interested in branding features at this point than delivering solid, consistent picture quality.

I have a mix of TVs in my house because none of my TVs have outright died on me. Living room is LG OLED 65C6. Bedroom is my old Samsung 40" LN-S4095d (my first HDTV I bought back in 2007). My office has my Sony W900A that the OLED replaced (and I have to admit that there's still something VERY pleasing about the picture of this tv, it may have been one of the best 1080p sets produced.) Basement laundry/exercise area has my Panasonic 55ST50 Plasma that has the yellow blotch issue. I also have a smaller Samsung 1080p LCD in the kitchen and an LG 720p LCD that used to be the basement TV, but it's not used right now.

Honestly, if I could replace the bedroom, office, and basement TVs with the 50" 2017 Vizio M, I would probably do it. Selling poo poo is a PITA though and it's a bit too much effort.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Get whatever Sonys equivalent to the X810C is because that's the one I have and it's a great TV.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

bull3964 posted:

X930E occupies a narrower niche simply because it's going to have the same pricepoints as LG's OLED sets (except in the >65" range where LG becomes super pricey.) This is an edge lit display, but it actually has more dimming zones than the FALD X900e. You are basically trading halos for vertical streaks. This adds Dolby vision and has the same great motion processing as the 900e as well as AndroidTV. This set is capable of hitting 1000 nits so it's a great pair for HDR10 content. I would go with this TV if you want a size greater than 65" and have a decent budget or if you are watching a lot of HDR content in brighter rooms.

Apparently the X930E doesn't have vertical bands from backlight dimming due to a clever design.

rtings.com posted:

The X900E and X940E have full array local dimming. The X930E is edge lit but has multiple backlight layers that guide the light to different zones, and it actually has better local dimming than the X900E's full array. The X850E and X800E do not have local dimming.

They give the Vizio P65-C1 a good review if you watch movies in the dark. It's on sale at Costco in Canada for $2,200, $600 off. I was thinking about it but I still like my plasma TV and I'm going to wait for more HDR content and more mature HDR TVs.

TomR fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 30, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TomR posted:

Apparently the X930E doesn't have vertical bands from backlight dimming due to a clever design.

I wasn't aware of that. That is a pretty novel design. Basically, I'm picturing light spreaders that are shielded from shining through to the display except in the areas where that zone is supposed to be.

I guess the advantage there is they can make the display slimmer and simplify the assembly of the backlight by making it only run across the top and bottom.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I had the itch for a new TV so I started looking at reviews and stuff. I like a lot of the features the Sony TVs have, like the motion handling and black frame insertion. I'm not a fan of LCD displays though and can't afford the OLED ones yet. Future looks pretty bright for high end TVs though if the Sony OLEDs come with all the fancy features their LCD models do.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I feel like Dolby Vision disc content is going to become more common player support rolls out. Seems like most of the 2017 players will have it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I also think Dolby Vision is going to eventually take over as the preferred format. HDR10 will always be there as a base, but DV makes a lot more sense in the long term since it can be tailored to the display in question. Also, most new movies are going to have a dolby vision workflow anyways due to them being graded for Dolby Cinema.

The more annoying thing is DV apparently needs support for even pass through. So, I'll have to go back to dual output on a blu-ray player to get DV on my TV, my 2015 Denon receiver apparently won't pass it.

This is another spot that Samsung has been caught the odd man out, Virtually every other TV manufacture has DV support on some of their models. Samsung still refuses to get on board.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bull3964 posted:

I also think Dolby Vision is going to eventually take over as the preferred format. HDR10 will always be there as a base, but DV makes a lot more sense in the long term since it can be tailored to the display in question. Also, most new movies are going to have a dolby vision workflow anyways due to them being graded for Dolby Cinema.

The more annoying thing is DV apparently needs support for even pass through. So, I'll have to go back to dual output on a blu-ray player to get DV on my TV, my 2015 Denon receiver apparently won't pass it.

This is another spot that Samsung has been caught the odd man out, Virtually every other TV manufacture has DV support on some of their models. Samsung still refuses to get on board.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised they didn't make up their own S-VISION or something, but yeah I'm curious what their plans are there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maneki Neko posted:

Frankly I'm a bit surprised they didn't make up their own S-VISION or something, but yeah I'm curious what their plans are there.

Well..

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/20/15369234/samsung-amazon-video-hdr-standard-hdr10-plus-dolby-vision-metadata

I mean, it is an open standard, but still.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hahahahahah, I have no idea how i missed this.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm in the UK, so is this is the TV I should be considering for TV/movies/games at 55 inch?

I'll not be buying til near the end of the year at the earliest, so is there another generation coming I could wait out for? That TV is £1599, which is kinda where my budget tops out.

Also, there seems to be fairly little 4K content, much less HDR. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix, both of which have some of their own stuff in 4K but is there anywhere else that serves up 4K and HDR content? I'm not willing to get Sky or anything like that but I could consider streaming services.

Anyone?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The 2017 LG OLED TVs are coming out now. You can already buy some of them, but they cost a whole lot more as they are brand new and the old ones are discounted. I don't think they enough better to be worth the price premium, but by the end of the year I'd expect all the 2016 models to be sold already. I could be wrong though. I'm trying to convince myself I need the 55" B6 as a computer monitor while they are on sale and available.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

TomR posted:

The 2017 LG OLED TVs are coming out now. You can already buy some of them, but they cost a whole lot more as they are brand new and the old ones are discounted. I don't think they enough better to be worth the price premium, but by the end of the year I'd expect all the 2016 models to be sold already. I could be wrong though. I'm trying to convince myself I need the 55" B6 as a computer monitor while they are on sale and available.

I see LG's 2017 B7 model is nearly twice the price. I'll probably hold off til the end of the year, Currys dropped the price of the 2016 models in November last year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My honest opinion is that the loss of 3d on the 2017 models makes them worth less.

Granted, if you were looking at the B series it doesn't matter anyways, but the 3d quality of these TVs cannot be oversold.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

bull3964 posted:

I love my OLED and think it has the best overall picture quality on the market, but it does have downsides in peak brightness and motion handling.

Also, if you want more than 65" OLED isn't going to be for you right now.

This would be my short list for TVs at the moment.

LG's OLED
Vizio 2017 M Series
Sony's X900E Series
Sony's X930E Series

Any thoughts on the Vizio P-series? The 65" is only $1400 at Costco at the moment.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Any thoughts on the Vizio P-series? The 65" is only $1400 at Costco at the moment.

I too wonder. this seems like a good price.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kinfolk Jones posted:

That's an excellent deal. I'd have stepped up to the P if it were that cheap when I was looking 5 months ago. It's a really great TV, better than the KS8000 unless you really wanted an extremely bright TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, that seems like a good deal. The biggest thing about the P series is they didn't change anything for 2017 while generally improving the M series. So, MSRP to MSRP, I think I would take the M, but deals on the P series are decent.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
So realistically how big a difference is there between OLED and LED? Seems a massive difference pricewise when I can get an LG or Vizio 65" 120hz for ~1000 bucks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It is a big difference. Gets rid of the whole backlighting problem.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The difference is hueg

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Somewhere between no difference or amazing difference, depending on your sightedness. Just hit up a Best Buy and look at them in person, taking note of the black levels and off-angle contrast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's really hard to check black levels in Best buy since the ambient light is so high.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I think OLEDs look amazing, and I can say it's not placebo because when I first got a Vita however many years ago I had never heard of OLED, all I knew was that I thought the screen was amazing and couldn't tell you why until later

Anyway I have a LG E6 now and I love it a lot

I'm not sure if Citi is actually gonna give me the $500 price rewind or not but if they don't and I pay $3k for a TV that I'll keep for years and years I'm probably fine with it

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but I mean with my idiot eyes in a lovely Best Buy environment I can still see a huge difference.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, I'm just having trouble justifying 3k for a 65" OLED when I can get a 75" LED for less than half the price.

The OP is out of date, are there any manufacturers or lines within manufacturers to avoid? Any manufacturers above par?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, I'm just having trouble justifying 3k for a 65" OLED when I can get a 75" LED for less than half the price.

The OP is out of date, are there any manufacturers or lines within manufacturers to avoid? Any manufacturers above par?

Any 75" worth buying, on the low end, will cost almost as much as a 65" OLED.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think OLEDs look amazing, and I can say it's not placebo because when I first got a Vita however many years ago I had never heard of OLED, all I knew was that I thought the screen was amazing and couldn't tell you why until later

I had the same thing going from my old Droid Turbo which had a 4k AMOLED screen, which I broke, so I bought a cheap Moto X Pure that has regular LCD and it's absurd how much I miss that screen.

I just remember triggering the ambient display on it, and only the clock/alert would be lit - the rest of the screen was off and entirely black. Same functionality on the LCD backlights the whole screen.

It's legitimately a technological step forward and if I had the money to spare right now I'd be all in on it for a TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've been falling back in love with my C6 and it stems from an epiphany I had last week.

I got the TV in August of last year, very soon after that the fall TV season started. So, the vast majority of the content I've been watching is stuff recorded with my TiVO. To be sure, I watched plenty of 4k stuff on Amazon and Netflix as well, but the vast majority of hours was cable recordings.

Last week I subscribed to Starz through Amazon and marveled at the picture quality. It was better than what you would get through the Starz app and orders of magnitude better than the linear channel recorded off of FIOS. That's when I had my epiphany. Why am I suffering through lovely quality off of cable when most of the stuff I'm watching is available on Vudu? The absurdity of spending $3k on a top of the line TV and saving $25 to watch shows recorded off cable instead of buying them in a much higher quality finally hit me.

It's like a veil being removed. HDX from Vudu is just a hair below blu-ray quality and so far beyond anything you get from what passes for cable nowadays.

To be sure I'm not buying everything (I enjoy Angie Tribeca on TBS, but I have no need to own that nor am I missing much from cable's quality.) However, poo poo like Fargo? Hell yes.

I only wish I made this decision awhile ago. These TVs are great, but they shine so much better when you are actually feeding them quality content.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

tehinternet posted:

I mean if size is your top priority sure.

I'd much rather have a 55" OLED TV than a 75" LED one.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
https://rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a1e

The Sony OLED TV is top of the line and priced accordingly. It uses the screen as the speaker and sounds good for a TV but who spends this kind of money and doesn't get a sound system? Sony used their image processing to get better motion handling and it had black frame insertion which dims the picture but reduces the jerkiness of motion by only displaying the image for half the time of the LG. I use this feature on my plasma TV and it's something I'd like to have. No way I can afford to buy this TV any time soon but it does give me something to save for when my current TV dies. Hopefully OLED comes down in price and takes over everything but the bottom of the barrel TV segments over the next few years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If the 65" was about $2500 cheaper and if it had 3d I would be sorely tempted to trade in my C6.

The stupid rear end stand though would probably be enough to disqualify.

Dear Sony, make a version of this TV without the speaker and stand gimmicks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bull3964 posted:

If the 65" was about $2500 cheaper and if it had 3d I would be sorely tempted to trade in my C6.

The stupid rear end stand though would probably be enough to disqualify.

Dear Sony, make a version of this TV without the speaker and stand gimmicks.
If 3D is a requirement then you're never going to get a new TV again. It's the same panel as yours, maybe bug LG to get their poo poo together software-wise?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I don't think anyone is going to make 3D TVs anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

qirex posted:

If 3D is a requirement then you're never going to get a new TV again. It's the same panel as yours, maybe bug LG to get their poo poo together software-wise?

Already did submit a request to apply reverse telecine to progressive inputs.

Since most of my content is coming from Vudu now, the point is moot since I'm getting native 24p.

And yes, 3d is a reason why I'll be holding on to this TV for a long time.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
On the subject of 3D, I've been seriously considering the LG UH8500 lately. I haven't been able to find a 4K 3D TV at this price, and I can't see anything wrong with it. Considering I can get a refurbished model on Amazon for $900~, is there any reason not to get this?

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Ended up pulling the trigger on the P65-C1 on sale at Costco. Had a $300 gift card which made it way too good to pass up.

What is a good 4K Blu-Ray player to go with? The BDP7501 seems to have some meh reviews.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

pwn posted:

On the subject of 3D, I've been seriously considering the LG UH8500 lately. I haven't been able to find a 4K 3D TV at this price, and I can't see anything wrong with it. Considering I can get a refurbished model on Amazon for $900~, is there any reason not to get this?

The rtings review for that TV is pretty decent. It is an IPS panel, so keep in mind the blacks will be pretty poor. If you really need 3D, it looks like a good buy.

3D is really holding you back, because for $600 you can get a better rated Vizio M series 55 inch. I'd rather save the $200 over having 3D, poor IPS blacks, and having to buy refurbished, but that's just me.

1997 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

1997 posted:

The rtings review for that TV is pretty decent. It is an IPS panel, so keep in mind the blacks will be pretty poor. If you really need 3D, it looks like a good buy.

3D is really holding you back, because for $600 you can get a better rated Vizio M series 55 inch. I'd rather save the $200 over having 3D, poor IPS blacks, and having to buy refurbished, but that's just me.
You make a very good point, thanks. I'd like to see Doctor Strange in 3D, but I'm hesitant to pay hundreds of dollars to do so. :(