Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You have a point. Either way, it's wish fulfillment for emotionally simple idiots.

Also, the best part of that fourth book was when they chew the baby out of her. I think I started laughing out of shock. To be honest, I kind of liked the fourth book. Or, rather, I would have if the final battle had been anything besides stupid perky Alice's stupid vision.

I was always really irritated because for all the awful of the last book there's the existential terror of being immortal in their "perfect piece of forever" ( :barf: ) and watching the child that she didn't think she could have grow to full adulthood in the space of seven years, which is like a nanosecond to Bella now. I'd think the fond, bittersweet nostalgia most parents have watching their kids grow up be cut in third and potentially barely remembered (Meyer-pires are essentially frozen in whatever mental state/personality they were in when turned) would be interesting to explore, but because Meyer is queen of totally wasted potential she's clueless about what she wrote versus what she *got.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
The first Twilight book is, at first, her detailing in excruciating detail her first days at school. Every class, what they did in the class, what her teachers were like, what books she took out of her backpack....gently caress, no wonder it was 500 pages or so long. And apparently the P.E. Coach had to devote two days to explain how badminton worked.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which is the one that had a whole bunch of blank pages in the middle to show how sad the narrator was?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which is the one that had a whole bunch of blank pages in the middle to show how sad the narrator was?

The second one, after Edward left Bella IIRC

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Conservative kook Ben Shapiro wrote a novel.

Here's Chapo Trap House reading some choice excerpts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYp_6DcUzbU

Ah yes, Ben "800 million Muslims are terrorists" Shapiro.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

The second one, after Edward left Bella IIRC

To be honest, I'm not sure if that's somewhat clever or very stupid. My inclination is the latter but I feel like there are other authors who would have been praised for doing something like that. :shrug:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure if that's somewhat clever or very stupid. My inclination is the latter but I feel like there are other authors who would have been praised for doing something like that. :shrug:

Other authors have greater skill than Meyer ever had or will have. Four blank chapters implies that she doesn't give a single poo poo about her father, her werewolf boyfriend, her other friends at school, the rest of Edward's family, or her future. Although that makes sense when you read it as Bella being wholly obsessed with immortality and Edward just being a means to an end: being pretty, popular, and perfect forever.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Ah yes, Ben "800 million Muslims are terrorists" Shapiro.

How does this rank on the racism scale? Going from 1, 'We shot a brown person', to 10, 'We nuked all of the Middle East, genocided the entire region, salted the earth with salt and pork fat, paved it all over and put in a plaque detailing how Brown People suck and America is awesome'?

I know I heard of a book that ran with that latter plot, but hell if I could remember.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I get where you're coming from that it sounds clever on its face, but as SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL said, the problem is that it implies Bella has literally nothing else in her life outside of Edward.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
The thing that always bugged me the most about Twilight is they are/were so goddamn popular while also being absolutely terrible in every sense: plotted, written, messaged, everything. I mean, I understand it's not a book directed to or marketed to me, and I understand junk food writing, just some basic wish fulfillment for the dopamine hit, but if that kind of reading is a chocolate bar, then Twilight is an off brand hunk of questionable material claiming to be chocolate in some form that fell between the cracks of a convenience store's racks and was discovered two months after its expiry date. Yeah, you could eat it, but WHY WOULD YOU? And yet so many gobbled it up like it was one of those fancy Swiss chocolates. It goes beyond accounting for taste: it's almost like there's some meme woven into the book that seizes onto certain minds and forcibly converts them to nigh-on worshipping.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wait, for real? I only read the series as a downloaded PDF because there was no way in hell I was paying for them (but I was curious). I'm really glad I missed the whole fad; I can tell that those books would have been A Huge Thing with my friends in middle school, if we'd had them in middle school.

There is really very little good to say about that series. Bella is just so lovely and lame.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Cornwind Evil posted:

The thing that always bugged me the most about Twilight is they are/were so goddamn popular while also being absolutely terrible in every sense:

I ask the same thing about Fifty Shades of Grey, The Help, and everything by Dan Brown (who apparently has a new book coming out soon, can't wait to find out which poorly-researched historical conspiracy his Gary Stu will be investigating this time.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, if you think Twilight is exceptionally poorly-written, you really haven't read enough trash literature. It's bad, and has its share of moments of transcendent badness, but it's pretty par for the course for this sort of thing.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Twilight would never have taken off if it didn't have cool covers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Seriously, Twilight can't hold a candle to Fifty Shades when it comes to terrible writing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Seriously, Twilight can't hold a candle to Fifty Shades when it comes to terrible writing.

Fifty shades is twilight fanfic so yeah duh

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Tunicate posted:

Fifty shades is twilight fanfic so yeah duh

I despise EL James so much because she is the worst summation of 20 years of BNF internet wank. Snowqueen Icedragon my rear end. And Meyer is too "nice" to sue her for plagiarism.

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, if you think Twilight is exceptionally poorly-written, you really haven't read enough trash literature. It's bad, and has its share of moments of transcendent badness, but it's pretty par for the course for this sort of thing.

My understanding is Meyer originally wrote the story as two books, Twilight and "Eternal Dawn" (I think). When the first was a success the publisher asked for a trilogy, so New Moon was written and the second book split into two parts because it sold so well. New Moon is slightly better in terms of writing, grammar, etc. because it was made later.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Twilight was huge because it tapped into something like the erotic appeal of Anne Rice vampires in a way that's both accessible to 14-year old Mormon girls in Utah, and wouldn't put off their parents.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

DStecks posted:

Twilight was huge because it tapped into something like the erotic appeal of Anne Rice vampires in a way that's both accessible to 14-year old Mormon girls in Utah, and wouldn't put off their parents.

The funny thing is that Twilight has more actual sex, if I remember correctly. Like people literally loving the house down. But maybe it you have thirtysomething wives, that seems plausible?

VanSandman posted:

Twilight would never have taken off if it didn't have cool covers.

Those covers are legit pretty cool.

FrozenVent posted:

Fitty Shadez made me so loving angry. I can't imagine someone being able to buff the muffin while looking at such bad prose. Dastardly unsexy. Plus, IIRC most of the first book is a sex contract?

Most of my writing students can barely put together a coherent English sentence, and I would prefer to read a full ream of their work, because at least they've come by their linguistic shortcomings honestly. This woman is a native English speaker. For gently caress's sake.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I loved Twilight when I first read it, because I was a 13 year old girl and Edward was dreamy as all hell. Most 13 year old girls aren't terribly interested in how well written a piece of literature is, and I was no exception. Twilight was written well enough to hold up to the light examination that most readers subjected it to, and it was masterful at developing and using the concept of... sexless erotica, for lack of a better term. It was hot, it was sexy, and it was safe for teenaged girls and 40 year old moms to enjoy in its almost unique semi-erotic context.

And it did a really good job at it! Look at the team Edward and team Jacob poo poo, it was all the rage in my middle school and high school. So I actually applaud twilight - not for its literary qualities, of which it has few and far between. But because it was accessible , safe erotica that normalized desire among women and was extraordinarily successful in doing so. It by no means stands up to any sort of serious examination and is super problematic in lots of ways in retrospect, but honestly? Success is a quality all on its own, and Twilight was ridiculously, comically successful.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Yeah but a a 40 year old male goon, I feel I must say

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
An important thing to remember about the Twilight books is that Stephanie Meyer had a strong Mormon upbringing which is why there is so much titillation in the books ('sexless erotica' is a good term, The Iron Rose). That's why Bella is so much more interested in getting married to her *perfect* guy and his amazing family and start having babies than she is interested in going to college and being her own person. For many people (young girls and lonely housewives mainly) it comes across as wonderful and romantic but to mostly everyone else it's extremely off putting.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Stephenie Meyer.

I love that it's five e's.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The whitest of all names.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

The whitest of all names.

I dunno, "Renesmee Carlie Cullen" is really in a league of its own for whiteness.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Stephenie Meyer.

I love that it's five e's.

Because her father was Stephen and they just feminised the name by adding an ie, despite there already being a female form of Stephen.

Although I like to think she has two younger sisters called Stephener and Stephenest.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Grenrow posted:

I dunno, "Renesmee Carlie Cullen" is really in a league of its own for whiteness.

It's the grandmothers', then grandfathers' names smashed together, which iirc is a common naming convention in some Mormon families. I've also read critiques from ex-Mormons who comment on how Edward is described in the same fashion Jospeh Smith is in the church, which to them came off as very weird.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

It's the grandmothers', then grandfathers' names smashed together, which iirc is a common naming convention in some Mormon families. I've also read critiques from ex-Mormons who comment on how Edward is described in the same fashion Jospeh Smith is in the church, which to them came off as very weird.

I know you don't mean "pale white and sparkling" but that's all I can think about now.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

People outside of Western culture presumably feel the same about every other protagonist of a major action movie being Jesus Christ

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I've also read critiques from ex-Mormons who comment on how Edward is described in the same fashion Jospeh Smith is in the church, which to them came off as very weird.

Ooooh do you have a link? I am obsessed with Mormonism, both mainstream and FLDS. Would love to see analysis on this turdtome from a Mormon perspective.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Ooooh do you have a link? I am obsessed with Mormonism, both mainstream and FLDS. Would love to see analysis on this turdtome from a Mormon perspective.

I remembered the almost decade old sparkledammerung which was my first exposure to how bad Twilight was outside of my younger sisters telling me it was bad. It's very dated in terms of silly LJ writing and memes, but if you can get through that the author refers to the parallels in their growing up Mormon to how the Cullens behave (family game night aka Vampire Baseball, putting whether Bella should be turned or not up to a family vote) and concepts like fore-ordination and how that became the "imprinting" crap.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I remembered the almost decade old sparkledammerung which was my first exposure to how bad Twilight was outside of my younger sisters telling me it was bad. It's very dated in terms of silly LJ writing and memes, but if you can get through that the author refers to the parallels in their growing up Mormon to how the Cullens behave (family game night aka Vampire Baseball, putting whether Bella should be turned or not up to a family vote) and concepts like fore-ordination and how that became the "imprinting" crap.

Love it. Thank you!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I mean, I probably would have considered Mormonism if Joseph Smith read minds, killed deer with his bare hands to drink their blood, and turned to marble in the sun.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I mean, I probably would have considered Mormonism if Joseph Smith read minds, killed deer with his bare hands to drink their blood, and turned to marble in the sun.

Hat-based divine translation not impressive enough?

Speaking of bad books, The Book of Mormon contains the sentence "like a river of water." :downs: I read it once and and can never forget that ourobouros of a metaphor.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't know if it was this thread or something I heard someone else bring up somewhere else, but they said something akin to Bella's character was sort of written intentionally a bit incomplete so female readers would imprint themselves and their thoughts into the character in place of that content. Having never read Twilight, I'm not sure how accurate that is or not.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Hat-based divine translation not impressive enough?

Speaking of bad books, The Book of Mormon contains the sentence "like a river of water." :downs: I read it once and and can never forget that ourobouros of a metaphor.

My first thought was I don't remember that line from the songs.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't know if it was this thread or something I heard someone else bring up somewhere else, but they said something akin to Bella's character was sort of written intentionally a bit incomplete so female readers would imprint themselves and their thoughts into the character in place of that content. Having never read Twilight, I'm not sure how accurate that is or not.

First version of this I could find with a quick google.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is an extremely common trait of lower-end literature aimed at kids and teens, really. "The protagonist is only loosely described so you can insert themselves in their place and enjoy the book as wish-fulfillment adventure" is at least half of the YA market and even more of lowbrow markets like Japanese light novels. It's a literary sin, but it existed well before Twilight and will continue long after it's forgotten.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Light novels are another level of absolutely abominable wannabe literature.

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde

JediTalentAgent posted:

It is completely and totally accurate. I wanted to summarize what made Bella Swan a really bad protagonist, but I'd just be repeating what a better author has already written. So instead I'll just quote an excerpt from that author, Das Mervin, who did a very thorough takedown of the entire Twilight series chapter by chapter. This is her final summation of Bella's character:

Das Mervin posted:

To put it bluntly, Bella Swan is a Mary Sue. But that wouldn’t be fair to just sum it up like that, so let’s get down to brass tacks and state it in a better way—Bella Swan is an empty, shallow, very poor character. I have no grasp of her personality. I have no idea what her goals are, no idea what her ambitions are, no idea what her likes and dislikes are (outside of the obvious). She means nothing to me, because I do not know her. I have no idea what her motivations are for three-quarters of the stuff she does, and because I don’t know why she’s doing stuff, I don’t care if she succeeds or not. Of course, complaining that Bella is empty and has little characterization is pointless—because that’s how Meyer wrote her. She admitted it in the FAQ—she wanted to make sure that readers could step into her shoes, so she made her empty so you could better project your personality into her.

Unfortunately, Meyer did not quite succeed—she’s not entirely characterless. Even more unfortunately, what little character Bella has is absolutely repugnant. She is horribly judgmental and shallow, basing her opinions strictly on how people look and what they can give her. She constantly degrades and mocks everyone around her, no matter how nice they are to her. She is supremely ungrateful—people are very nice to her and offer her a place amongst them and are very welcoming, and all she does is talk about how overhelpful they are and how irritating it is to have to deal with these stupid small-town plebians. Her father buys her a truck as a welcome home present, and she just mutters insincere thanks and talks about how worthless it is. Her boyfriend gives her all kinds of nice, valuable things and declares how much he loves her, and she does nothing but talk about how she hates receiving anything and tells him to his face that simply loving her and getting gifts is not enough, she wants to be made a part of the family so everything really IS hers. And going back to the subject of Charlie—Bella is a chronic liar. Almost every word out of her mouth is a lie. She lies to her parents, she lies to her friends, she lies to her supposed One True Love—and most of it is completely unnecessary. She is a horribly fake and empty person, always falsifying her emotions and never displaying how she really feels about anything. To make that particular trait worse, when she has boys lining up to date her, she does absolutely nothing to deter them, claiming she hates the attention all while doing her best to encourage it, stringing boys along and even going so far as to actively pretend to pursue one strictly so he’ll give her what she wants. She is very manipulative, twisting situations and people to do anything she wants, from minor characters to her parents to her supposed love interest.

Basically, it all boils down to the fact that Bella is a vain, shallow, narcissistic, patronizing, manipulative, lying bitch. Which I know was not Meyer’s intention, because ultimately what Meyer wanted to create was an avatar for herself. Bella is clearly supposed to be Meyer’s self-insert, a character that she can vicariously live through, enjoying everything she ever wanted in life but never got. If Bella is truly Meyer, then that does not paint a very nice picture of Meyer, I must say.

However, the most damning part of Bella’s character is that she has zero growth. She enters the story as a mopey, whining teenaged girl with thesaurus syndrome who complains about everything she is given and lies to everyone she meets, and she leaves the story as a mopey, whining teenaged girl with thesaurus syndrome who complains about everything she is given and lies to everyone she meets—she’s just now whining and complaining and lying about different things. She never gains experience or knowledge from the things she encounters, never changes anything about herself as she goes, and is just a completely static character.

And that’s terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

True, but Chrono Trigger did a much better job.