Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LinYutang posted:

A great opportunity for a charismatic leftist to step in and who am I kidding like the European left will get its poo poo together

this but all leftists everywhere lmao :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

LinYutang posted:

A great opportunity for a charismatic leftist to step in and who am I kidding like the European left will get its poo poo together

Eh, not impossible. First established left has to finishing stabbing itself in the heart by embracing centrism, then the replacements can come. They just gotta be populists.

Podemos, Bernie, Corbyn and the Five star movement all did / are doing alright in polls.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
every day i wake up in the morning and i look in the mirror and i say, "today i'm gonna be the best brexit i can be!"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
leftism is failing and centrism is boring. all hail *flips through pages* nihilist transcendism

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
There's still hope for posadism.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

AceRimmer posted:

There's still hope for posadism.

sorry to break it to you, but he retired 5 years ago

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i for one am glad, that le pen got, pardon my french, "rear end-hosed"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/stevekingia/status/861126549399101440

Jesus Christ lmfao

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Venom Snake posted:

American youth tend to be much more diverse

Something like half of french youth has at least one immigrant grandparent

Also the demographics argument didn't get Clinton elected and white american youth still went Trump harder so...

Agnosticnixie has issued a correction as of 00:51 on May 8, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

lmao that loving dude and his forehead

wasn't he the one who went "haha yeah deporting legal immigrants because ice can't be bothered to check their papers is really good"?

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress THAT GUY IM ORGANIZING A DARK TOWER BOYCOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

lmao that loving dude and his forehead

wasn't he the one who went "haha yeah deporting legal immigrants because ice can't be bothered to check their papers is really good"?

he's the guy who said super racist poo poo and when called out on it doubled down on how super racist he is

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

White Rock posted:

Eh, not impossible. First established left has to finishing stabbing itself in the heart by embracing centrism, then the replacements can come. They just gotta be populists.

Podemos, Bernie, Corbyn and the Five star movement all did / are doing alright in polls.

Bernie "the new ron paul" Sanders got his rear end kicked bad by hillary clinton. Corbyn just presided over one landslide loss and is set to preside over another in June, then either resign in disgrace or destroy the labour party itself.

Meanwhile, in France, centrist politics smashed the far right in a stunning and devastating blow to the mouths that repeat over and over again "centrism can't win."

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
bernie is a european centrist and he would've won

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

We'll see on June 8th.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

hakimashou posted:

Bernie "the new ron paul" Sanders got his rear end kicked bad by hillary clinton. Corbyn just presided over one landslide loss and is set to preside over another in June, then either resign in disgrace or destroy the labour party itself.

Meanwhile, in France, centrist politics smashed the far right in a stunning and devastating blow to the mouths that repeat over and over again "centrism can't win."

Reminder that Chirac won with 80% of the vote in 02.

It's absolutely not a stunning or devastating blow. It also means that the main center right party's electors are mostly fine voting for a fascist in runoffs.

It's also completely missing the point: Macron won because everyone knows she's a nazi and most of France isn't going to pretend she's a legitimate political option for now. The US can't do that because bipartisan nonsense is culturally ingrained.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

this is a really good post but you hosed up with the may one imo

:shrug: I got asked about T.May and that's what I think about her.

Fortunately I'm not British! The politics of the benighted isles are just entertainment and I don't have a stake in it.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
congressman open white supremacist so what

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Agnosticnixie posted:

The pandora's box opened by brexit, trump, the irresistible social pressures of the refugee/migrant crisis, years of Kremlin propaganda and meddling, all of it together hardly made a dent in the final accounting.

Vive la France et vive le centre!

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

accurate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Agnosticnixie posted:

It's absolutely not a stunning or devastating blow. It also means that the main center right party's electors are mostly fine voting for a fascist in runoffs.

It's also completely missing the point: Macron won because everyone knows she's a nazi and most of France isn't going to pretend she's a legitimate political option for now. The US can't do that because bipartisan nonsense is culturally ingrained.
If it was Macron-Fillon then Macron woulda won

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i kinda feel like if you were to compare the french political spectrum vs the united states one everybody but le pen would be insanely left wing and le pen would be somewhere very comfortable in the us chart zone

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

drat dude you are just going in hard now huh

stefania_r
Sep 2, 2011
If it was Bernie - Macron
Macron would've won

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i kinda feel like if you were to compare the french political spectrum vs the united states one everybody but le pen would be insanely left wing and le pen would be somewhere very comfortable in the us chart zone

That would be on the same charts that consider nazism to be a centrist ideology and Bismarck a dirty commie for state interventionism?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Agnosticnixie posted:

That would be on the same charts that consider nazism to be a centrist ideology and Bismarck a dirty commie for state interventionism?

smh

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

hakimashou posted:

:shrug: I got asked about T.May and that's what I think about her.

Fortunately I'm not British! The politics of the benighted isles are just entertainment and I don't have a stake in it.
you seem stupid enough to believe this

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Also the demographics argument didn't get Clinton elected and white american youth still went Trump harder so...

No they didn't. I literally responded to him on the next post...

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hakimashou posted:

a stunning and devastating blow in which 1/3 of voters chose neither candidate, which surely means le pen and her ideology have been decisively beat back and will in no way reemerge for the next election, no siree

https://twitter.com/USARedOrchestra/status/861363633397403648

i mean i'm glad he won but this doesn't mean right nationalism has been defeated

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

a stunning and devastating blow in which 1/3 of voters chose neither candidate, which surely means le pen and her ideology have been decisively beat back and will in no way reemerge for the next election, no siree

i mean i'm glad he won but this doesn't mean right nationalism has been defeated

Marcon's very nasty Forbes/WSJ approved policies means populism isn't going away.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

[/b][/i]you seem stupid enough to believe this

I don't get to vote in British elections, I don't have a say in how it goes.

I mean, brexit was a betrayal of the US and britain's other allies, and we ought certainly to blame them for what they did, but we don't get a say in it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

So right nationalism only got 23%, not 35%? Even better.

Anyway its not fruitful to wring your hands over how many people didn't vote. The people who show up count, and among them, centrism won a great victory today.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

No they didn't. I literally responded to him on the next post...

I meant harder than french youth.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Agnosticnixie posted:

I believe that he and others stated that French youth were more likely to vote for Le Pen than French adults and olds. Upon my research, in the United States less youth, including white youth, voted for Trump than the adults did.

EDIT - However, after the election results, it seems that the French overall are less attracted to right wing populism than Americans.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

hakimashou posted:

I don't get to vote in British elections, I don't have a say in how it goes.

I mean, brexit was a betrayal of the US and britain's other allies, and we ought certainly to blame them for what they did, but we don't get a say in it.

the world dont exist for your entertainment

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Agnosticnixie posted:

rien

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Britain does though. Funny accents and all.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

hakimashou posted:

Anyway its not fruitful to wring your hands over how many people didn't vote. The people who show up count,
dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yes it does

• Locked thread